Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mech Wars: Anime-style, Weapon Platform, or Nonhuman Walker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mech Wars: Anime-style, Weapon Platform, or Nonhuman Walker?

Oh boy, this one's gonna be a doosy.

In the existence of fiction, the giant robot unit is by far one of the most badass weapons of destruction available to any modern to high Sci-fi army. Whether it's a ponderous war machine, or darting around like a Dragonball Z character on acid, any combat with giant mechs usually results in some epic rending of steel-like metal and explosions.

However, there's predominantly three 'breeds' of mechs in popular fiction, and truely it is time for them to duke it out. WHO WILL REIGN SUPREME!

1: Anime-Style Mechsuits

Spoiler

2: Weapon Platform Mechs

Spoiler

3: Non-Human Walkers

Spoiler

So, which of these three contenders do you think deserve the best effectiveness, to your own opinions, or tell me if there's a specific branch I didn't cover well enough.
    Anime-style Mecha
    40.91%
    Walker Weapon Platforms
    27.27%
    Multilimbed Walkers
    27.27%
    All these options suck, I'm telling you my own fave!
    4.55%
    Spoiler

Most nonlurkiest lurker on the fourum(s) since 2004

Re: Mech Wars: Anime-style, Weapon Platform, or Nonhuman Walker?

I'll go with Anime-Style Mechsuits. When it comes to any sort of battle I've always felt that mobility and versatility are far more important than anything else.

Comment

I ended up voting all of them, since really I like them all in their appropriate settings, and the setting also defines which would be the most effective.

Most "Anime-Style Mechsuits" often rely on very hyper futuristic high technology to do what they do, and would typically be the obviously superior machine if placed next to the others.

However if you try and build an Anime style mecha in the wrong setting, where the technology doesn't exist to allow them, you end up with an awkward Battle ASIMO vs a comparatively very functional and deadly legged tank.

(Spoiler cuz pics)
      Spoiler

And here's some other pictures/designs I like, cuz why not.
      Spoiler
      ~ Right turn, wrong universe ~

Unknown Squid is the property of Nunu

Comment

I've always liked the Anime-style mechs. They're just cool. However, for me, there's two that stand out, one because of the sheer awesome factor, and the other because it is semi-realistic, if you allow for one 'superhero' clause.

The first has to be the Mobile Fighters from Mobile Fighter G Gundam. Throw science and laws of physics out the door, add over-the-top anime martial arts, and possibly the greatest special attack ever devised (I am, of course, talking about the Erupting Burning Finger Sekiha Love-Love Tenkyoken (Yes, that's even it's name in English)), and you have G Gundam. If awesome were a weapon, anything from G Gundam would stomp anything else. Except maybe the windmill Gundam...

As for the more realistic anime mecha, first I need to lay out that 'superhero' clause. This is something used when talking about unrealistic things in realistic contexts. Basically, you give whatever you're talking about one thing that can be anything, but only one thing, that makes everything else possible. For example, Wolverine's would be his healing factor. With that he's able to have adamantium grafted onto his skeleton, live long and so on. Another example where it's not a superhero specifically, is Mass Effect's Element Zero.

For this one, it's something called Metatron, a metal that manipulates gravity when bombarded by high energy particles (If I'm remembering correctly). What this does is allows mechs to fly free of gravity, create pockets of compressed space, even compress space to shorten space flight or what appears to be teleportation. Metatron is the superhero clause of the Zone of the Enders series, my personal favorite mech based game ever.

So yah, full of bias and opinion, but that's what you wanted, right?

Comment

PUT IN ALL OF THEM

The second breed and/or the third are probably the bestest in my opinion. I actually just saw a lil' 6-legged spiderbot on youterb that could like, climb, and pick stuff up autonomously. The "Lower to the ground/profile and more stable" argument for robets makes fancy fast animu robits silly to me, but I won't deny the raditude of Evangelion. They're giant people, though, not full-on robits, and when I think robits I think big fat stompy heavy things.

Also >no Votoms or Sakura Wars Koubus
          Spoiler

ULMF's request thread. Ask for stuff there.
          ULMF's game FAQ. Has info on how to run JP games and ISOs.
          IQDB. Searches for images!
          JDownloader, automates downloads from places like Megauplohwait.
          Hikari are, iza susume!
          Wear Sunscreen.
          >>*The Shoutbox slaps some sense into GargantuaBlarg.*

Comment

I think my current favourite flavour of mech is still from Steel Battalion. I havent played the newer one, but the original felt great, like you were actually driving i giant hunk of death machine.
            Spoiler

Comment

You actually got to play that?

Dammit. Stupid sexy awesome peripherals I never had
              Spoiler

Hikari are, iza susume!
              Wear Sunscreen.

Comment

i did, yup. still have it, though my xbox crapped out, so I can't play it. On the downside, it was a fairly difficult game, I only ever got about four levels in, and each level had about a ten to fifteen minute loading time.
                Spoiler

Comment

Originally posted by Shrike7 View Post
                  ten to fifteen minute loading time
                  My feeble mind does not comprehend this
                  Spoiler

Hikari are, iza susume!
                  Wear Sunscreen.

Comment

Yeah, I brought a book... XD
                    Spoiler

Comment

We're missing a category, and it's my favourite. Super Robots. Not quite monsterous weapon platforms that try to convince you thereís no such thing as a square-cube law, not flighty little wangsty gundumbs... but giant mecha that cannot possibly exist, owning things up on what, despite any flimsy explanation that might be given, is essentially the hot-bloodedness of the pilot themselves.
                      I apologise for the above post.

MINION! Get on the fucking forum before I come over with a bag of nails! I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but I'm sure it'll be both gory and painful for you! (So try not to get too aroused, you sick guro-masochist.)

Sankaku Comments
                      "...Sheís lucky that iím in a good mood this morning but seriously, i really wanted to punch this old hag! Just Fate/Stay in the Kitchen!"
                      "...Thatís a real competitor for the worst pun Iíve ever seen."

Comment

Originally posted by Host View Post
                        We're missing a category, and it's my favourite. Super Robots. Not quite monsterous weapon platforms that try to convince you thereís no such thing as a square-cube law, not flighty little wangsty gundumbs... but giant mecha that cannot possibly exist, owning things up on what, despite any flimsy explanation that might be given, is essentially the hot-bloodedness of the pilot themselves.
                        Not personally experienced those types, care to cite a few sources? I'm not disagreeing, just curious.
                        Spoiler

Most nonlurkiest lurker on the fourum(s) since 2004

Comment

The quick answer is Wikipedia.

The quicker answer is Mazinger Z, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Dai-Guard, Getter Robo, and anything else in the Super Robot Category of the Super Robot Wars games.
                          Last edited by Host; 4th March 2013, 12:00.
                          I apologise for the above post.

MINION! Get on the fucking forum before I come over with a bag of nails! I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but I'm sure it'll be both gory and painful for you! (So try not to get too aroused, you sick guro-masochist.)

Sankaku Comments
                          "...Sheís lucky that iím in a good mood this morning but seriously, i really wanted to punch this old hag! Just Fate/Stay in the Kitchen!"
                          "...Thatís a real competitor for the worst pun Iíve ever seen."

Comment

Working...
                          X