What's new

Both sides of the Adventure (Concept + Interest check)

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score
A new rehash of an old idea recently came to me.

This concept would involve two sets of players, the Adventurers and the Villains. Each one would make their own backstories and reason for participating in the RP that develops out of this, but there will be a only a few GMs overseeing the situation and offering a guiding hand, instead of directly playing out the scenario for each other player.

"Adventurer" concept:
The Adventurers are those that are drawn, for some unexplainable reason, into the action against the bad guys.

They storm the dungeons, slay the monsters, and make out with whatever loot they can carry after defeating the villain in charge of the nefarious plans!

...Or at least, that's the plan.

In actual play, adventurers are likely to end up tied away in the torture chamber of the dungeon as a plaything for every monster in the place, among other similar fates.

But eventually, good will prevail, and the heros will crush the dungeon, defeat its master (or mistress), and put an end to the evil plot. (As well as perhaps getting a little revenge for what they may have went through.)

"Villain" concept:
Some purpose drives them. The reasoning is sometimes unfathomable, other times almost infectious. But the end result is the same.

They want to complete some task that the Adventurers have decided must be stopped.

...Now as to wether these would-be heros can actually stop it or not, that's another matter.

In actual gameplay, these are the dungeon-makers and will RP out what is usually considered the GM's role. The system will be decided ahead of time, and their dungeon will be reviewed for balance against the type of Adventurers they'll be facing.

As the adventurers move through their dungeon, some will fall (and get whatever unspeakable horrors done to them the Villain can dream up), but sooner or later, some will succeed.

When the dungeon is, inevitably, defeated, the Villain will activate their Escape-o-tron (tm) and flee start their nefarious (or possibly benevolent?) plan all over again with a new dungeon. (The cute girl Villains of the group better just hope their Escape-o-tron kicks in fast enough, before they get their tender little pussies stuffed to the brim the same way the poor Adventurers had done to them!)

Starting the game, from the Villain's Side:
Each game starts by the villain creating a dungeon, loosely based off the system given to them.

They may create the dungeon in any way they see fit, including enemies, traps, minibosses, and (of course) themselves.

The completed dungeon will be sent to the GM for approval, where the GM will verify stats, give pointers and suggestions for encouraging RPing, and give final requirements for posting the dungeon's start.

Once approved, it is up to the Villain to lure adventurers into their dungeon.

The Villain will start by posting important information about their dungeon (level suggestion of adventurers, size of dungeon, fetishes to be encountered, etc).

Then the Villain will follow it up with their initial post(s). This may be anything from a creative description of hiring some of the monsters and setting the traps, or initial test runs against slaves or stray civilians, or just a dark hint of their evil plots and actions, and finally, the dungeon's entrance itself, described as how the adventurers should try to gain entry, with the first things that newly arrived Adventurers will see. The idea of this post is to garner attention for the dungeon and to get Adventurers coming.

After this, the Villain must simply wait for the heros to show up at their doorstep.

Some adventurers won't find their way in, while others may stumble in before they even realize what happened.

This choice is up to the Villain, and is your way of screening out characters and players you may not feel driven to play with.

Starting the game, from the Adventurer's Side:
Adventurers are given a character sheet to create, and told what level to make their character(s), according to which dungeon they are entering.

Players should make multiple levels of their favorite characters so they can more easily dive into any dungeon, and having two or three characters is not unheard of. Also, re-using a character that's already in a dungeon is acceptable too, since it's always assumed that the dungeon will eventually be beaten, so even if a character gameovers, they'll be rescued and back in action sometime in the future.

Adventurer's tasks are easier from a preparation side, but this doesn't mean they should take their role lightly. Remember, an adventurer isn't merely a nameless NPC wandering the dungeon and waiting to get raped, nor are they a mindless powerhouse that destroys anything they run into.

When trying to enter a dungeon, the adventurer player should familiarize themselves with the kinds of traps, monsters, and fetishes the dungeon they are entering will have, and whenever facing an encounter, try to encourage the Villain to play with them accordingly.

Be an appetizing target! Give them a reason to go after you! This is your major role as an adventurer! Actions should be descriptive and encourage the Villains to play with them!

From your very first post walking up to the dungeon and entering, the Villain should see you as something special. Build this into your backstory.

Are you a juicy target waiting to be raped? Are you a breeder for the dungeon, ever-awaiting your inevitable fate? Are you the chosen one that is destined to put an end to the plan, and the Villain throws everything at you? Have part of this as your backstory when posting into the fray when trying to find the dungeon.

WARNING!!
Not all adventurers will be let into a given dungeon.

To try to gain access to a dungeon, your first post should be a brief description of your character(s) wandering around in the area near the dungeon and let the Villain's player decide if your group gets in or not.

If you're denied access or told you can't find your way in, politely move on and look for a new dungeon. If you do find your way in, congrats, you just started a game! Feel free to join multiple games if you can keep up!

How Actual Gameplay Works:
1) Villain makes a dungeon and submits it to a GM.
2) GM replies, helping make the dungeon playable until it is approved.
3) Villain posts approved dungeon and "luring" posts, attracting adventurers.
4) Adventurers who are interested post their characters searching for the dungeon.
5) The Villain either accepts the Adventurer(s), and the game starts, or denies the Adventurer(s) and they move on.
6) Once the game starts, it's treated as a typical PbP game, levels and experience are typically ignored past the start, as the dungeon will be scaled to be beatable without additional leveling, although they may be hard at times. See below if you really want to "level up". (#10 on this list ;) )
7) When an Adventurer is defeated, it is Game Over for that player. They may rejoin with another character only if the Villain allows it, otherwise, it's time to move on to another dungeon. Any damage they did to the dungeon will remain, making it easier for the next adventurer though!
8) When a Villain's dungeon is finally defeated, depending on the rules of the dungeon that the Villain Created though, the Adventurers may 'punish' the Villain accordingly before she makes her escape.
9) After a dungeon is defeated, the Villain may make a new one for submission, and start it all over again.

10!) Villains and Adventurers will both be given special bonuses by the GMs based on how well their RP went. Win or lose, everyone gets better for their next encounter! In fact, losing may give you more bonuses than winning!

Just don't forget to update your character sheet with special GM-granted bonuses, so everyone knows what to expect if playing with you!

Special aside: Players may have both multiple Villains, multiple Dungeons, and multiple Adventurers! Always post with your intro how often you expect to update with that character though, this way similarly posting players can get together for an encounter. (Hourly, Once a day, Every other day, etc.) You could even have a mini-dungeon on reserve and launch a one-day encounter fest, that if no one beats it by the end of the day, it closes up forever!

Last edited:

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Both sides of the Adventure (Concept + Interest check)

I'm in!

Mirchie

The user previously known as Hero-in-the-Dark
Reputation score

This seems like an excellent idea, and while I would love to play a 'Villain' it's too likely that I'll never get round to creating a dungeon >_>. Interest is, however, shown.

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

This sounds like it could be a lot of fun! I think I'd even be interested in playing as both an adventurer and villain (getting ideas for both sides already :D ).

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Adventures-villains?
Submissive-dominants?

I'd be in, but I had a question. The adventurer is supposed to write in how they are to the villain? One key you made was being an integral part of the villains plan. Wouldn't writing in that type of thing kinda turn against the villain, especially if they don't want to accept the character? Or am I misreading, which is a common mistake of my own.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

It would be interesting to play a villain, but you'd probably need to come up with rules (Possibly sent to the villains only) for dungeon construction.
Ex:
  • Trap statistics
  • Monster Statistics
  • How many of what things can be in the dungeon
  • What treasure amounts should be in the dungeon based on difficulty.
  • Villain Character Creation Guide.

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

Definitely in for this one...I've been having many... 'ideas' for torturing people of late, in various forms. *obvious villian is obvious*

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Adventures-villains?
Submissive-dominants?

I'd be in, but I had a question. The adventurer is supposed to write in how they are to the villain? One key you made was being an integral part of the villains plan. Wouldn't writing in that type of thing kinda turn against the villain, especially if they don't want to accept the character? Or am I misreading, which is a common mistake of my own.
The idea is that the heroine (Adventurer's character) can make an implied position based on the dungeon and evil plot.

For example, if the dungeon was presented as the Villain was trying to sacrifice the virginity of four descendants of the mage who banished her dark master, in order to revive him...

Then Adventurer/Heroine characters could be:
1) One of the descendants, still a virgin, lured to the dungeon to have her flower plucked for the dark master.
2) The guardian of one of the descendants, knowing her charge was recently kidnapped, making one last desperate bid to rescue the girl before she can be used in the evil plan.
3) A complete mistake! Some princess from a far off land that only was made royalty because of her family lying about being descendants of the mages, demanded by her people to go put an end to this plot, and doomed to be horribly raped over and over, only to accidentally foil the plan anyhow since she's not the right girl!
4) Make up something else!

The idea is that the villain creates the plot, and the adventurer should match the character's backstory to fit better and be a good lure for the two playing together.

Although Adventurers should have some kind of base-line backstory that fits them, the individual dungeons they can adapt to, making the story more exciting and merging ideas together.

It would be interesting to play a villain, but you'd probably need to come up with rules (Possibly sent to the villains only) for dungeon construction.
Ex:
  • Trap statistics
  • Monster Statistics
  • How many of what things can be in the dungeon
  • What treasure amounts should be in the dungeon based on difficulty.
  • Villain Character Creation Guide.
All of these ideas will be in the rules, including cost to construct traps, mana drain for controlling monsters, and much more. So you'll know exactly your limits when building a dungeon.

Bigger games, and especially higher base-level adventurers, will mean more money and mana to spend on creating the dungeon. While smaller games may have a much tinier limit, naturally.

Other specials will be relative to GM-Rewards and player creativity.

Trap and Monster statistics are going to be generic enough that you can make up your own monsters and use them, as are most stats. The idea is that the system is going to be easily balanced, and anyone can pick up and make a dungeon to be a short-term GM if they want to try ;)

I'll post up some rules when I get a bit of free time, for now though, I hope I've inspired a few of you, and am looking forward to everything getting started soon.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'd be in for both, though probably one at a time.

Asmodean

Lurker
Reputation score

The idea is really cool but dose have high very bad odds of dieing out. Also would both sides be able to team up in order to make things harder/easier based on the side they are on?

fanta23

Lurker
Reputation score

already have a dungeon idea flowing so i am in
just how would want the villians to send their plans/ dungeon scheme.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Probably by pm once the rules are up. Also, if all heroines need a tie in to each dungeon, that's going to probably mean that very few heroines can be reused. Wouldn''t it be better to have more generic plot hooks than ones specifically tailored for a heroine?

fanta23

Lurker
Reputation score

like an evil force is harrassing a local village or country.

Archer

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

I'm in, I must protect the people from Keylo's wrath!.......Which I probably helped to create.......my bad.

Asmodean

Lurker
Reputation score

You and your evil dice Archer.... YOU HAVE DOOM MOST OF US!!!! I'll be the last to try kelyo's dungeon there by making it easy save all of you.... if I feel like it. >.>;

Archer

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

I never thought I would create pure evil I swear!

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh no, he has merely unleashed something marvelous... something glorious...

*cue evil laughter*

Oh, by the way... Asmodean, you rolled a 1 on your meteor dodging save. Take 250 damage.

*cue more evil laughter*

Archer

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

*holds a 20 up* Back! Back foul creature to the pit ye spawned from!

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

A natural 20 is it? Fufufu~...

Then I'll simply declare this as a gamemaster:

The DC rating of the save was difficult to the extent that not even a miracle could save you. This of course, applies to the natural 20 as well.

Archer

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

I see.....*throws Asmodeon to Keylo and runs away screaming*