This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Villain Dungeon Creation Rules

The simplest method to begin with is the Energy Cost method of making a dungeon.

The basic submission for initial dungeons should be in this format, sent in PM to a GM (I'm the only GM at the moment).
    Stage 1
    Option 1
    Primary Type(Stat, Difficulty, Cost)
    Secondary Type(Stat, Difficulty, Cost)
    Other types(Cost):
    Simple descripton:

Option 2
    Primary Type(Stat, Difficulty, Cost)
    Secondary Type(Stat, Difficulty, Cost)
    Other types(Cost):
    Simple descripton:
    etc... With Stage 6 (the end-boss) having "Part1" and "Part2" instead of option1 and option2.

(basics)
    Spoiler

Further Info on Dungeon Building:
    Spoiler

List of Challenges and their Energy Costs. (Simple Dungeons)
    Spoiler

List of Challenges, modifiers, and more. (Advanced Dungeons, still being balanced)
    Spoiler

Edit Log:
    Spoiler
    Last edited by Kathy; 1st March 2010, 17:22.

Re: Villain Dungeon Creation Rules

The sample dungeon!
    (Notes on each stage put in blue. The notes are things I'm posting here for explination and shouldn't be added on the sheet submitted.)
    Spoiler

Stage 1 - Finding the attack site.
    The options are limited for an adventurer without direction. She can either visit local taverns and hope for a lead, or search wildly with the sparse clues that she already has, taking caravan after caravan until one is attacked.
    Spoiler

Stage 2 - Ambush on the road.
    Discovering the ambush point (either by traveling with many caravans until attacked, or by learning where it is from a tavern and going with a caravan to that point) where caravans are often attacked, our adventurer and her traveling companions find themselves the next target of strange insect-like men, a brisk encounter showing she's on the right trail.

This stage is a simple ambush that after fighting them off (or losing) she can then track them back to where they came from.
    Spoiler

Stage 3 - Through the Insectoid Forest.
    Following the tracks left by the bandits, the adventurer heads through the forest well into the night, when she comes across a strange clearing and a magical pond... But something feels off.
    Spoiler

Stage 4 - The Insectoid City
    Finally getting through the forests and past the beasts within, the Adventurer comes to an unusual city, built into a rocky valley, she looks over the area quietly, in awe of discovering an entire city just beyond the borders of her kingdom's lands. As she examines the area from afar, she realizes that there are others like her in the city, but they all seem to be enslaved, naked, and ordered around.

While looking over the area, she spots several of the thugs who attacked her caravan, recognizing some of their fresh injuries from the recent battle.

Spoiler

(WHEW. That's all I have time for arranging right now, I'll fill in the last of the info later on )

(And Continued! After thinking about it for a bit, I've decided instead of making a split path, to change it to a Hidden Path.

I'm re-tallying the stats at this point to figure out how much I still have to work with. If there wasn't a split path, I wouldn't need to tally until the very end. But for now...

Energy Total (so far):
    312 / 455

Encounters:
    Explore: 3 (2)
    Spirit: 2 (0)
    Combat: 2 (2)
    Naughty: 2 (2)

Here we see that the energy max has gone from 350 to 455. From the +35 on an extra path, and the +70 from an encampment. This leaves us with 143 points left to finish the already rather harsh dungeon. And just enough options on challenges left to make it interesting.

Stage 4-3 modifications
    It now will only unlock a Hidden Path, instead of a split path. So Stage 5 will have a single hidden option, but there will be no split path.
    )

Stage 5 - The impending war.

After successfully moving about the town, the adventurer discovers that the bandits attacking caravans are selling their captured goods to fund an ongoing war going on in their lands to the north. She learns quickly that after the war is settled, their attacks will turn to the south and her own lands... Something must be done.
    Spoiler

Stage 6 - First Path, Endboss. The Captain.

Escaping the city (after killing the town guard leader or not), the Adventurer cautiously decides that it is not the best idea to go back through the woods, and to try to find another, safer path home, a path that could be used so her own army can attack, or at least know which roads the enemy army would use for their attack.

As she travels, she stumbles across an enemy army encampment, one of the squads spotting her and rushing to capture her. The leader of the squad pulling out a fistful of unusual smoke bombs and scattering them over the area as he marched forward to face off against the adventurer.

Spoiler

Final Dungeon cost:
    482 / 483 (Including Hidden Path values)

Challenges used - Primary(Secondary) :
    Explore: 4 (3)
    Spirit: 3 (1)
    Combat: 4 (2)
    Naughty: 3 (3)

(GM Note: This was a fairly complicated dungeon due to the excessive number of modifiers and side things I used. The aftermath remains hidden or customized per player based on how things played out. The GMs will give players any suggestions for improvement they can come up with, and then we'll see how it all plays out when the adventurers start getting into things.

A typical dungeon won't use anywhere near as many side-traits. I expect this dungeon to even stand a good chance of taking out level 3 characters going into it. Usually, once you figure out the type of stats you enjoy running, you can simply copy and paste in different types for each challenge until you've worked everything out and then just give it a once over in the numbers.

I hope this gives everyone who's still curious about how dungeons work a clear impression of what's behind the scenes.

It does take a bit of effort and time as a Villain. But it's a lot easier than always creating new systems and managing dozens of rolls per encounter. And that was the entire point of this system. Good luck villains!)
    Last edited by Kathy; 2nd March 2010, 03:54.

Comment

It would have to be for higher level dungeons but I think there should be rules for making teleport pads, false walls, trick door, and conveyor belts and the likes as well.
      Spoiler

Perfection is humanly impossible. The more you reach for it the farther away it grows. Failure is inherited to our species as a whole. But punishing ourselves and beating ourselves up for it helps nothing. The best any decent person can do is try, and try, and try again. And try to get better little by little day by day.

Comment

Originally posted by TentanariX View Post
        It would have to be for higher level dungeons but I think there should be rules for making teleport pads, false walls, trick door, and conveyor belts and the likes as well.
        I'm keeping the system fairly simple for the moment to be tested a bit.

I have a huge amount of things waiting for the first trial games to work out and everyone to give a bit of feedback before more comes out. Most of your ideas could be applied with a simple challenge. False Walls, Trick Doors, and Conveyor Belts would easily fall under explore challenges, unless you're refering to something that moves a character deeper/further back in a dungeon. In that case, and Teleport Pads, it involves moving a character deeper (or earlier) in a dungeon, and due to the small size of dungeons thus far, it's not ready for them.

Thank you for the suggestions though. If you have some variation on the idea I don't see, please share though, I'd love to have new challenges to offer!

Comment

Updated! Sample dungeon added.

Comment

Working...
          X