What's new

Not Your Typical Work Day (xivvix)

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score
Re: Not Your Typical Work Day (xivvix)

A quick search of the first room does not yield any medical supplies. While not much seemed missing, whoever was in here just did a good job senselessly trashing it, there didn't seem to be any first aid in this office to begin with. No label on the wall or compartment of the right size where one would be kept, so no use hanging around in there too long. Jamie gave Melissa a small smile and a thumbs up as she came out and went down the hall.

Listening to the door, Melissa did not here anyone in the next room. Entering would be as safe as it would ever get. However, upon opening the door it became clear that searching this room might be a waste of time too, this was a store room for general supplies. It was unlikely there'd be what she was looking for in here, and there was no more room for any more food or drink in the cart. There was just one last place to search, but was it really worth it?

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

Melissa smiles at Jamie as she crosses the hall, but it quickly fades when she realizes that there is nothing worth taking in either room. She walks back into the hall and over to Jamie with disappointment clearly on her face. "Nothing. I'd really like to find some kind of first aid before we go. Let's go check the restrooms" She slings her weapons and grabs the handlebars of the cart, quickly setting off for the other side of the store.

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Jamie sighed, "I probably should have said something when we were closer, my bad." Fortunately it did not take long to cross the store to the bathrooms. Despite a large bloodstain on the floor, the rooms looked clear and safe to enter. Most of the mess was comming from the men's room, with the women's restroom looking pretty clean by comparison. Before parking Jamie, the sarge perked up with some advice. "Search the men's room first, just in case. I think they ususaly put first aid in the women's room, but I don't like the looks of that blood."

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

Blood. The stain on the ground immediately sets the corporal on edge, and she pulls her shotgun out even as she parks the shopping cart next to the restrooms. "Yeah," she says, looking down at the bloodstain before glaring at the entrance to the men's room, "Get the bad news out of the way first, I guess." Shotgun at the ready, Melissa cautiously walk over the blood soaked floor to the men's room and looks inside.

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

As Melissa carefully entered the room it did not take long to locate the source of the blood. A corpse was laying with its face in a urinal, arm ripped completely off and tossed a few feet away. The rest of the room told the tale of the fight, the mirror was shattered, Melissa would have to watch out for that, and one of the stall doors was off its hinges and on top of the toilet at an angle. Fortunately, as predicted, there was no active threats in the room. However, as soon as Melissa made this assessment, she heard a gasp from Jamie outside. "Melissa! Come quick! Two zombies! From the front of the store!"

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

While not a frontline combat soldier, Melissa is quickly becoming desensitized to the results of violent conflict, and looks at the corpse without emotion. When she hears Jamie's call however, she rushes out of the restroom, her heart in her throat.

"Where?" she asks Jamie, attempting to be quiet, in case the infected humans hadn't noticed the women yet. Even before the sergeant points out the creatures, however, she attempts to push the cart into the woman's restroom, deciding that the corpse in the men's room might push Jamie's fragile mind too much

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"There, in those rows!" Jamie points to an area and Melissa can just barely see two heads a few rows over behinds the displays. They moan slightly, having locked on to the two already. Fortunately, the women have a few seconds before they are beset by the monsters, giving Melissa enough time to get Jamie out of the way before they emerge into a clear line of sight and fire.

(So here combat will start, one enemy about 30 m away with the other slightly behind it, only a good shot on the first one. Take note this is too close to safely use the grenade launcher, though you can use it if you REALLY want to.)

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

'Too close for the launcher,' Melissa thinks, standing in front of the entrance to the restrooms. She pulls the shotgun from her shoulder, but doesn't fire just yet. The way the second zombie is hobbling along right behind the first gives her an idea. She waits until they start to get closer, moving to keep the first zombie in between herself and the second if she has two. Once the zombies have cleared half the distance to her, she fires, hoping the shotgun blast will tear through the first zombie and into the second one. She didn't find a lot of ammunition for the weapon, and she wanted it to last.

(wait until the zombies get to ~15m, then fire)
(mind reminding me how much ammo Melissa has? for the shotgun and the launcher, please)

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

(14 grenades, shotgun has two (well did have two I should say) and then eight more shells)

(Also, complex rolls cause some serious wtf results in combat)

Luck was not on Melissa's side. As she carefully manuevered to line up her shot in a manner to hit both attackers, she payed too little attention to where she stepped. A can of beans was directly under one of her steps, causing her to fall and discharge the weapon when she hits, missing her targets. Fate did have a sense of humor, though, as one shot struck a display, directly to the second infected's right, sending a can right into its face. The monster fell back in surprise while the first closed in on the woman.

(You have time to reload and fire before the first infected reaches you. All factors considered, such as the recent hard contact with the floor, you have about a 40% hit chance (per shot), though depending on when I get around to updating again, I might give shotguns a small boost by then)

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

(I was actually thinking while typing up my last post that it would be funny for that exact thing to happen :D)

The sudden unexpected fall, followed by her head smacking on the tile floor of the store, stuns Melissa, causing her to spend a moment blinking the stars from her eyes while moaning in pain. After a few seconds, she finally comes back to her senses, gasping as she sees the zombies still approaching her. She pushes herself up to her feet, standing and pointing the shotgun in a hurried attempt to fire, only to hear the weapon click. "Shit," she gasps, realizing that the weapon must have already discharged while she was stunned. With the infected humans closing in, and already down a pair of shells, Melissa clenches her teeth and turns the weapon around, holding it by the barrel to use it as a club. When the nearest zombie comes in range, she swings it as hard as she can at it's head, hoping to take care of these two like she had the others from yesterday.

(melee attack with the shotgun)

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

While not aiming for the monster's face, the thing almost bends into the swing resulting in the gun connecting right on his nose. A satisfying "crunch" is heard as the infected topples over backwards, a small amount of blood spraying out as he falls. He joins his fellow zombie on the floor, though while he'll be down for a few seconds, the other is now regaining its footing.

(That zombie's down to 19 hp, you got a good roll. However, both are now close enough to attack you next round)

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

Melissa stares down at the zombies, gripping the shotgun tightly. For a second she considers grabbing a pair of shells to finish off her floundering opponents, but having so little of the ammunition convinces her to keep up the approach that had not resulted in her landing on her back. Holding the shotgun high over head, Melissa bring it crashing down towards the zombie she had already hit.

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

(Well hot damn, perfect roll on the damage again!)

Melissa manages to land a perfect hit right on the zombie's skull, splitting it in two and leaking the monster's brains out onto the floor. The man stops moving instantly.

Unfortunately, as Melissa brings the gun back up, the second zombie tackles her to the ground. Though still able to struggle and beat at the him, she cannot escape out from under him very easily now that he has a hold of one of her arms.

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

As Melissa hits the ground again, she curses. 'Damn it, at this rate, I'm going to spend my whole life on my back,' she thinks, only realizing the scary truth of that statement after a few moments. Deciding she has a better chance of fighting off the infected man if she's not trapped underneath him, Melissa pushes against him, letting go of the shotgun to get a better grip.

(Escape grapple)

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

The two tangle for a time. Melissa is unable to shake the zombie loose, but the monster can't get an advantage either. He tries to grab at her upper clothing, but fails. Some of the containers of goods are leaking, the the uncooked bean paste and other simi-solid foods coat the struggling individuals.

(Neither of you succeeded)

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

"Get off me, damn it!" Melissa snarls through clenched teeth, looking up at her attacker. The infected man is stronger than she thought he would be however, and persistently clings to her. Growing frustrated with her lack of progress, Melissa decides that he might require some persuading, and the layer of leaked liquid from the canned goods gives her an idea. Keeping one hand firmly between her attacker and herself, Melissa begins to search the area around her for one of the nearby cans, ready to use it to bash the infected man across the face.

(look for a can of food, and attack the zombie with it)

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

(Attack with canned goods, that's hilarious!)

Melissa manages to slide herself and her zombie attacker over until she is able to grab a can of baked beans. However, because of the various slime covering the outside of the can from previous spills, it slips out of her hand as she brings it around to smash her attacker in the face.

Unphased, the zombie takes this chance to grab onto Melissa's wrist, pinning her under him. She is unable to attack it directly now, only able to attempt to wiggle free.

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

Melissa turns to look helplessly as the can flies out of her grasp. That break of her concentration is all the infected man needs however. She looks up at her attacker with a mixture of anger and fear as she realizes just how bad of a position she has landed herself in. Determined not to let the situation go from bad to worse, she begins trying to work her way free from the man's grip, swinging her body back and forth in an attempt to slide him off her.

(escape)

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Melissa manages to jerk at just the right time to get free from the monster's death grip, though one of its hands manages to catch her in the leg as she tries to roll away. The two trade blows, none of which cause any real damage. For a few seconds it seems like the soldier is going to be able to crawl away, but the monster manages to pin her again, this time with Melissa on her belly as the zombie lays on top.

(Got free, but zombie recaptured, very close rolls :))

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

Briefly fighting her way free of her attacker is heartening for Melissa, and she immediately starts reaching for the shotgun. When she is suddenly pushed face first back onto the slime covered floor, she grunts, then spits some of the spilled liquid away. 'Great, this thing is still on top of me, and now I'm getting soaked in these juices,' she thinks angrily, once again not realizing the irony of her words until after she had thought them. 'That other thing rippedd my underwear apart, this guy is probably going to try the same thing. I'd rather not run around town naked...'

Getting a little desperate at her situation, Melissa tries a different tactic. Turning her head to the side to get a look at her attacker, she speaks to it, hoping it wasn't too far gone to understand. "H-hey... uh, big guy," she starts nervously, "You've got an itch, right? Down there? I can help you out with that, make it feel real good if you let me go." She spits again as some of the liquid makes it's way into her mouth, then keeps trying to communicate. "Real good, anything you want. Just let me get out of these clothes." At the same time she attempts to talk to it, she is slowly working her hands and knees into a position where she will have enough strength to push herself and the zombie off the ground, hoping to throw it away from her.

(try to persuade the zombie into letting her out of the submission hold/prepare)