What's new

Not Your Typical Work Day (xivvix)

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score
Corporal Melissa Aberdan seemed to have an easy job. When the military was called out to fight the monsters, it was clear there was no way a demolitions expert would be needed on the front line. This enemy didn't have any bunkers, trenches, or other infrastructure for her to destroy.

However, it wasn't long before the military decided taking out its own buildings and bridges was a good idea. Melissa had been at one of the field camps without anything to do when her Sergeant ran up. The woman had a real connection with her troops, and clearly was unhappy about having to take them out to fight such creatures. "Aberdan, get your stuff. It seems the bastards are using our bridges to cross the freeway, now that it's nearly impassable from debris. We've been ordered to take them out."

So, about an hour later, Melissa found herself at one of the many bridges crossing the loop. So far things were going well. She was laying charges at the "safe" end of the bridge with the sarge, while a team defended the other side from anything that decided to cross. They were almost done, then they'd move on to another bridge. "I can leave you alone here for just a minute, right Corporal? I need to check with the other team." The sarge didn't let Melissa respond. It wasn't like her, she was clearly worried about something.

Melissa has just attached the last detwire when there was a massive explosion. She was knocked back against the pavement, scraping her elbow in the process. There was a burnt out car nearby that sheltered her from the worst of the blast, fortunately. When the shaking stopped, Melissa was able to move around again. She noticed that the sky seemed to be on fire, the city was burning, but the monster that had been towering in the downtown area was no longer visible or able to be heard. There was also a wierd blueish tint to the sky here and there, but it was very hard to see. All around her the effects of the blast were visible. The squad's transport flipped, and looked out of action for good. Melissa couldn't see across the bridge to the rest of them, but they were no doubt in bad shape.

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Not Your Typical Work Day (xivvix)

Having been without an assignment for the day while the other, more expendable, troops handled the weird monsters running around town, Melissa was happily relaxing in her bunk. Relaxing, but ready to go at a moment's notice, as evidenced by the fact that she was laying on her bed in her full combat gear, her kit resting on the ground to the side. As soon as she saw her sergeant enter the tent, Melissa pulls her earbuds out and tosses her mp3 player under her pillow before standing up at attention. Without hesitation, the corporal salutes and responds to the order with a, "Yes, Ma'am!" before grabbing her gear and quickly following behind.

Melissa liked her sarge. The woman was cool and confident when on an op, and really looked after her and the other gals and guys in the squad. No matter what kind of mission they had to go on, Melissa knew the sarge wouldn't make them do anything she wasn't willing to do herself, and always kept her calm and composed demeanor to let them all know she trusted and believed in them. Melissa respected that.

Which is why the sarge's sudden uneasiness proved somewhat contagious to the corporal. Sure she hadn't been in combat with the freaks running around the city, but she had heard stories of what was going on. Not the kind of thing that keeps morale up. They were only stories, though, most of the people back at base reasoned, but if sarge of all people was getting spooked, maybe there was something to it. Still, Melissa is the best, and the best don't let rumors stop them from doing their job. She yells a quick, "Roger!" to the rapidly receding form of sarge and gets back to prepping the charges.

As the last wire snaps into place into the receiver for the shaped explosive, Melissa smiles. "Not exactly comforting being the one trapping us in with all the beasties," she mutters to herself, taking a moment to look back over the numerous bombs she had planted at the bridge's critical points, "but when your called to do something, you do it right. And BIG!"

Just as she finishes her excited statement, the light of a massive explosion fills her vision, just before the shockwave sends her crashing down to the ground on her back. Gritting her teeth as she scrapes her elbow, the soldier quickly pushes herself back up as soon as the ground stops being so difficult. "Sounds like someone had a bigger boom lined up than me," she says, staring out over the aftereffects of the explosion. "When I find out who, I'm going to have to thank them for stealing my thunder."

Melissa grabs the detonator and moves around the car that had shielded her while moving cautiously towards the flipped transport, ready to drop and steady herself should the massive explosion have weakened the bridge. Going to have to check on sarge and the others, make sure they can move before I bring this thing down. As she moves, Melissa checks herself as well, both for injury as well as making sure all her gear was secure and accounted for. Melissa doubted the squad would be able to right the heavy vehicle, but she was going to need supplies if she was going to bring down that other bridge.

(move towards the transport, check for items/weapons. don't detonate the explosives yet.)

Last edited:
OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

(Minor point, the monster just showed up this morning, its the same day)

Melissa checked the transport, the sarge has said it had been better to leave the demo team's rifles in there, the others could defend them. There was, of course, alot of explosives, way more then she'd ever need. Of interest, though, was a stand alone grenade launcher and two belts of 8 grenades each. That's seriously but the hurt in someone's day. No sign of the rifles, though. They might have been under some of the boxes.

Melissa couldn't take anything else from the truck, there was no way one woman could carry the heavy boxes. She would have had a hell of a time even lifting them over the exit way. Poor truck design, really, but there was a good half foot panel in the way of just sliding a box out.

The cab didn't yield any good results either. Well, one good result, a medkit, but it was just a basic loadout. Melissa herself wasn't injured right now, but it might be needed in the future.

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

(fix'd)

Immediately grabbing the medkit, Melissa quips, "They say god loves medics. Maybe she'll mistake me for one." With the kit in tow, she clambers into the rear of the truck, sifting through the strewn about debris. At the sight of the grenade launcher, she lets out an emphatic, "Come to momma, baby," as she bends over to scoop it and the grenade belts up. The sarge had wanted to bring along rifles, but this kind of weapon was more Melissa's style, loud and powerful. Finally, from the mass of explosives, she grabs just enough that she feels can bring down the other bridge, while allowing her to keep moving at a decent pace. With whatever those things are running around out there, she needs to stay light.

With what she has found, Melissa is sure she can get the rest of the job done in no time. Now all that's left is to grab sarge and the others and hot foot it off this disaster waiting to happen so she can get back to her nice cozy bunk. "Sarge you hear me?" she calls as she carefully lowers herself from the back of the overturned truck. "I'm on my way with some goodies!"

(grab the medkit, the grenade launcher and ammo, and explosives, if she can carry it all. head towards the other side of the bridge)

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Melissa heard a loud moan of pain come from where the other team was. It sounded like the sarge. "Help! Corporal Aberdan, is that you. I'm... I'm over here..." The words trailed off, getting quieter.

(Sorry for the shortness, I assume you're going to run over there, but some people might not)

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

At the pained and fading sound of the sarge's voice, Melissa breaks into as much of a run as she can while carrying the explosives and other gear. Shit, the blast must have hit them harder than me, she thinks, running over what she knows of first aid as she imagines what kind of injuries they may have sustained. "I'm coming, sarge!"

(yes, running over to sarge/others)

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Melissa couldn't see the guard team, but she could see the sarge just fine, though it wasn't a pretty sight. Some heavy, maybe a dumpster, landed on her legs, pinning her to the ground. She seemed on the verge of passing out, hardly moving on the ground. Her gear was next to her, some of it about to fall down the embankment onto the freeway.

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh, shit. Those two words ran over and over through Melissa's mind from the time she saw the sergeant until she slid to a stop next to her. "Hang on, sarge!" she said, frantically looking back and forth between the woman and the object pinning her to the ground. Shrugging off the bag of explosives, Melissa puts all of her weight into picking up or sliding whatever it was off the sarge's legs.

(help sarge get free)

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Melissa wouldn't have been able to lift the object, except she had adrenalin working for her. After putting her back into it, she manages to lift the thing off the sarge's legs and slide it over just enough, the woman hissing as the pressure was let up.

Her legs were not in good shape, but they weren't as bad as might have been expected. There was no way she could walk right now, but she wasn't in danger of bleeding out. Still, a little first aid might be needed.

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

As soon as the sarge is free, Melissa kneels at her side and grabs at the first aid kit, nearly tearing it apart in her haste. "Don't worry, sarge," she says, "Not everything I touch, blows up, just the things that are supposed to." Wasting no time, Melissa gets to work patching the sarge up as best she can.

(use the first aid kit to help sarge)

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"Ugh. I feel a bit better now. I don't think I can walk, but if you can get me to the transport, I'll be fine and dandy. The sarge's face fell. Wait, don't tell me, the transport is out of action, isn't it... If that blast could knock a dumpster from that street over there onto me over here, it surely toppled the truck, didn't it? The woman began to think, even as Melissa formulated her reply. The Corporal noticed that her superior was a little touchy feely right now, she had latched onto her ankle with one hand, almost without thinking, and was sort of rubbing it right now.

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

Switching to a more professional tone of voice now that her sergeant was feeling better, the corporal answers her questions soberly. "Yes Ma'am, the transport is out of commission, but I salvaged what I thought would be useful." Melissa stays kneeling at the sergeant's side, looking down quizzically at the hand on her ankle, but saying nothing about it just yet, figuring the other woman was just distressed over what had just happened. "The charges on this bridge are ready to go, as soon as we get clear of the blast area. I also picked up enough charges to bring down the other one too."

Last edited:
OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"Can you carry me away from the bridge? I'm all biting one in the line of duty, but only if needed. Can you find someplace safer for us? The painkillers must be messing with the sarge's mind. She seemed to be getting less coherent and professional by the second. She did have a point, though. If the bridge was going, Melissa would have to move her or she'd be going to.

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

"Yes, Ma'am," Melissa responds enthusiastically. Rearranging her gear to hang on her right side, Melissa stands and wraps an arm around the sergeant's back. She lifts the woman to a standing position, then pulls sarge's arm around her neck, providing the woman a way to hold on, while swinging her arm down to the woman's waist. With the added weight and the sarge hobbling along, Melissa knows she won't be very fast, but it still shouldn't take long to reach the bottom of the bridge.

(supporting the woman, head down the bridge)

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

(I assume you mean towards the transport, right?)

"Mph. Wow, you're pretty strong." The sarge hung onto Melissa well. She didn't seem to be caressing her, yet. Either way, it was probably just the drugs earlier.

The two made their way off the bridge, when the sarge spoke again. "This won't do, we need to be farther!" She quickly checked the area. "See, that rock there, the huge one, we can both fit behind it. We'll be safe from the blast there!"

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

(Oh, I thought the transport was on top of the bridge, between where Melissa placed the bombs and where the sarge and the other team were. But down and off the bridge is where I meant.)

"Well, you carry boxes of bombs around all day, you get used to lugging things around," Melissa responds, then adds a more serious, "Ma'am." When the sarge motions to the rock, Melissa immediately begins heading towards it. Once around the other side of it, she gently places the other woman down on the ground with her back to the boulder, then kneels beside her. At the same time, she slides the bag of explosives down off her shoulder again, then pulls out the detonator.

"Hold on to your butts," Melissa says, smiling a bit as she quotes on of her favorite movies, then again sobers up and adds, "Uh... Ma'am." With that, she flips open the protective case over the detonator switch, and twists it, sending the signal to set off the explosive charges.

(hide behind the rock, set off the explosives)

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

The explosion was insanely loud. Debris shot past the rock, proving the sarge was right, it was a good idea to take cover. Afterwards, it was dead quiet. "Ah, another job well done, eh Corporal". The woman was about to say more, when a loud howl echoed through the silence. "I had no doubt some of those survived. Have you seen reports of what they do to the women." The sarge gripped Melissa, shaking. "Don't leave me here, please!"

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

As the explosion went off, Melissa let out a whoop, and laughed, pleased with what she had accomplished. The howl and it's effect on the sarge's composure, however, immediately wiped the grin off her face. "I... uh... I've heard stories," she said, shaken by more than the woman's grip on her. "Nothing official, but let's keep it that way!" Melissa bends down and quickly picks up the sergeant again, then says, "Don't worry, I won't leave you Ma'am."

Melissa looks around, between the bridge and the nearby buildings. "I was hoping we'd have time to set up the charges on the other bridge, but maybe we better find some cover before whatever those things are arrive." It wasn't like Melissa to take command like that, but with her sergeant reduced to the state she was in, the corporal figured it was time to speak up. Without waiting for the woman to reply, Melissa heads for the nearest building that looks like it might offer some form of protection, but where she also had room to use her grenade launcher. Something with only one major entrance, and plenty of open space.

(search for a good place to take cover in. Melissa doesn't have any weapons besides the launcher, right? And the unnamed sergeant has no weapons?)

Last edited:
OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

On their side of the freeway there was suburban housing, and that was about it, no other choices. There was a good sized open field between them and the first row, however, distance the pair had better cover as quickly as possible. Once they got up the first street, there would be plenty of cover, public mail boxes, bus stops, the works, though it would be really hard to hold onto the sarge the whole time. Melissa couldn't keep dragging her around like this, they needed to find a way to get the woman some mobility, fast!

(The sarge has a pistol)

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

Suburban housing. Definitely not a good place to use the launcher, but maybe she could find something else of some use. All this had gone down in a day, but most of the civvies should have gotten out of the city by now. Maybe the women will get lucky and find a car with the key's already in the ignition. Grunting as she hefts the sergeant again, Melissa begins crossing the field, her free hand coming down to check and load the grenade launcher while she keeps an eye out around her for movement.

(cross the field towards the houses)