What's new

ULMF the Third (RP Thread)

Pale

Reputation score
Re: ULMF the Third (RP Thread)

Dragged briefly aside by Aika and Rule 34, Rapture's still paying attention to the conversation.. enough of it, at least, to turn slightly at Suri's question, and hold up one finger, indicating that she has an answer.. but cannot deliver it just yet. A brief, anxious conversation with Aika and Rule follows, with a little gesticulation in Host's direction, and some half-raised words from the glasses-wearing Rule 34..

"Cannot stress enough.."

"You are -not- to use that nuke in any case.."

"Keep the EMP as a last resort.."

Finally the CO's back with the squad, brushing Rule's last few declarations away and ready to answer the various questions.

"In terms of organisation.. according to my files, Grave, Shrike, you two are our frontliners.. with Suri, Sinful, myself and Host bringing up the middle range to rear. That splits nicely into two teams... I'll lead the first, with Host as backup and Shrike as my close-quarters go-to, and Sin, I want you to take the second. I've read all your files and you seem the best suited to it... you have Suri and Grave as your backup. There may not be a need for us to split up, but if we do.. we're all organised and ready for it. Congratulations on your promotion Miss 2IC, and anyone who wants ammo and weapons.. on me. And excellent restraint, Grave. Keep it up and Host might survive the week. Anyone that doesn't need ammo or weapons, on me as well. We'll get you set up with comms."

With that delivered rapid-fire, Rapture turns on her heel.. and strides towards the door, expecting to be followed.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Grave sent Host on last unfriendly look before following Rapture. "Survive? Oh yes, he will survive. Can't guarantee he'll be unharmed, though..." The darkling muttered under his breath, but deep down, he was somewhat satisfied with the praise. He didn't get that often. He wasn't sure what to think of the people he was put together with. Sin seemed to be the same type as Rapture, or at least similiar. Suri, on the other hand, seemed to be fresh. Well, he wouldn't be in the squad if he wasn't up to the task, but Grave was wary. Trusting others was not something that came very easily to him. Still, he would have to try to get along. In the meantime, he wanted to check what kind of melee weapons he could get his hands on...

S u r i

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Suri listened closely to what Rapture said when she split us up into teams, in case they were necessary. With the teams decided and whatnot, Suri followed after Rapture to get set up with comms. He kept his two pistols with him at all times, but not his rifle. Seeing that he probably would not have enough time to go and retrieve it, he was going to settle for whatever was in the armory. The times he'd done battle with people and adbots have left him with good enough expertise with most weapons.

As he walked, he looked to the two people that he would be a team with. Sin and Grave. He knew neither of them well, but that was also the case with everyone else. Despite that, he'd do his best to work and get along with everyone. Hopefully...everyone can trust me as much as they trust each other., he thought to himself as he pushed up his glasses.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Shrike nodded when the teams were called, falling into position behind Rapture as they went to the armoury. She notes a few things about the selection immediately. Like how Grave and Host were separated, which was probably a good idea. She preferred to keep him under watch herself anyways. Would probably do the lurker good to have someone keeping an eye on him that doesn't immediately want him dead. Sure he's mildly annoying, probably too smart for his own good, and made a horrible first and continued impression, but he's definitely got connections and resources, skills even...

All of that flew through Shrike's head by the time she had taken the half dozen steps to the door, at which point she spoke up. "So, any suggestions for a rifle? Haven't used much past pistols for a very long time." She asks, looking around at the rest of the people followind Rapture.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

"2IC eh? That mean I'm getting an official rank now?" Sin asked, shrugging her shoulders as she fell in step beside the CO, boots tapping softly as she moved, the tube slung across her shoulders for the moment.

As she walks she takes a brief look over her shoulder at both Suri and Grave, letting her eyes run over them.

"And I'll want any files you've got on those two," she continue briefly.

S u r i

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Suri looked to Shrike when she answered her question. He blinked for a moment and smiled generously, "What you want in a rifle is somethin' you know you can trust to work when you want it to. In battle, you can't afford to be fightin' your rifle and your enemy at the same time. My advice to you is to get used to one you like before you actually bring it with you on the field. But for somethin' to bring out into a fight straight-away, I dunno. I guess...somethin' close to the M4 or somethin'. There are a bunch of foreign variants of the M4 that are real reliable and efficient, moreso than the actual M4. Can't name any off the top of my head, though."

Suri chuckled a bit before scratching his head, giving an apologetic look to Shrike.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

"H&K 416. Give that one a try. Reliable like the AK-47, but customizable and sleek like the M4 series. Rather popular these days," Sin said, somewhat shortly.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

"Sounds like we have a winner. provided there's any in the armoury." Shrike says with a grin. "H&K is at least a brand I recognize, and if it can stand up to half the stress testing I've seen the AK handle, it should do just fine."

Pale

Reputation score

Sinful gets a brief, sideways glance, and a raised eyebrow from Rapture.

"Sadly, no. If you want to start calling yourself Lieutenant, Captain, whatever, that's your business.. but we barely -exist- on the radar of ULMF military. Let alone hold rank. I'm not even sure what -I'm- supposed to be. Your last commander was a Sergeant... but I'm fairly sure, given the nature of the briefing I was given, I'm supposed to be at least some sort of commissioned officer. As for the files, I'll see what I can do about your clearance. And yes, by the way.."

Cast over her shoulder as they arrive at a rather impressive door, naturally locked by a keypad, as her fingers punch in an eight digit number without looking. Familiar with the place, it seemed.

"The H&K is a good choice. Personally I'm a fan of the new modular stuff churned out across the place.. the SCAR, the ACR, and any other acronym you can think of. And while they may look tempting..stay off the underslungs for this one. We're going to be taking it nice and quiet. Without further ado.."

The door swings open at her touch, to reveal a massive, rack-lined room, decorated with things that look suspiciously like blasters to broadswords, with a single desk in the center, staffed by an elderly man that Rapture greets with a smile.

"Ernie. You're looking good..! I've got friends for you. Need loadouts for this rabble behind me.. put it all under my clearance.. Alright! Orderly line you lot, ask politely and you may receive, don't worry about ammo just yet we'll get that momentarily. If you're not sure, ask. If you can't see it on the wall, ask. And don't sign any bits of paper - that's my job."

((Feel free to adlib weaponry as long as it's within "usual" confines. If you leave an open-ended post asking Ernie for something, Host or I will animate him to provide an answer.))

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Grave's eyebrows raised when he heard Rapture speak. He had some suspicions about it, but he didn't know that his position in the military was that vague. While this had some disadvantages, perhaps it could be an advantage as well. He really wasn't sure what to think of Sin's request, though. If she wanted to know something about him, she could have asked. On the other hand, papers like that could provide her with some useful info, more than the darkling himself would reveal... Or a lot of rubbish. Oh well, not his problem. Especially since the group had arrived at the armory. Waiting for Rapture to open the door, Grave began to compose a list of traits he expected from his blade. Or rather, list of traits he wanted to get. Good melee weapons were sometimes hard to get in this day and age, so he'd have to do with whatever was available.

Right after entering, the warrior set out to find the section that held melee weapons, immediately going for swords. There were other weapons to choose from, and while he could wield a number of them, swords were the ones he was most familiar with. Grave gave every one of them a critical look, comparing each to the mental image of his desired weapon. Modest pommel and cross-guard. Preferably long sword lenght, and light enough to raise with one hand, so he could make gestures when he wanted to cast. The darkling practiced "full contact magic", and his spells required rather elaborate motions to perform. While he intended to use the blade mainly as a fall-back weapon in case he couldn't cast, it never hurt to be able to use both steel and magic at once. He carefully inspected each weapon, looking for one he was comfortable with.

Last edited:

S u r i

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Suri looked around the armory, rather impressed with what he saw. With a light grin on his face, he moved to the rifles and whatnot. Seeing that there was a large array of different ones, some coming out of a science fiction movie and some coming out of a 21st century action movie. He inspected each weapon he carefully, casting a thoughtful gaze to each one. Hearing Rapture's warning to stay away from underslung weapons, he cast those out of his decision pool.

"Nice and quiet, hmn?" he said, "So should we look for suppressors and the like?"

He deliberated between a few rifles, both modern and sci-fi. He waited for Rapture to answer him, so he could have more ease in choosing his weapon for the mission. I can just forego the rifle and go in with my handguns, but I feel a rifle would be useful for the mission...

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

"Bah, underslungs are for heavier jobs than I'm wanting anyways. If i need something like that, I'm probably close enough to get the job done better with my usual skillset." Shrike replies casually just as they enter.

Rapture says her piece, and half the group wanders off to inspect the weapons themselves. Shrike decides to save herself the time of looking for a gun she's never seen before, and instead walks up to Ernie's desk. "Hey there, I'm apparently looking for an H&K 416, with a shoulder strap, a small scope preferably, and possibly with a silencer. do you have one in stock?" She asks the man politely. Once pointed in the proper direction (Or lead there), she hefts the weapon experimentally, checking the side and finding the safety and the clip eject easily enough. "Looks perfect, I'm all set then." She says loudly enough to let Rapture know she was finished in here and ready to move on.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Stepping into the armouries Sin let her eyes wander, nodding appreciatively. A small beep from the pager on her hip caught her attention, and looking down at the small screen of the device saw the following: 'TRANS GEAR. SW701. RS.'

With a slight smile she walked up to the desk, and asked for a new shipment from the Red Scar Mercenaries, transfer code SW701. Ernie looked at her for a moment before lifting a case onto the desk. Taking it Sin moved to a small corner and popped it open.

Within was all her gear that she had stashed at the local safehouse. They must have gotten into contact with ULMF administration because here it all was. Pulling her C8-A2 carbine (lovingly nicknamed Viera) from within, sliding her hand over the slick black metal and dark green plastic of the hand guards and telescopic stock. She turned on the EOTech sight just to make sure the batteries were still good, and did the same with her surefire flashlight. She had to assume the PAQ 4 was good, the light was too bright in here to test regardless. Setting the weapon down carefully she pulled out her fragmentation vest with ballistic plates and pulled it on over her t-shirt and slid a fully loaded tactical vest on over top.

The pouches were full of grenades, nine-bangers, some zapstraps tucked into the shoulders, claymores and C4 bricks resting carefully in a pouch on her back, while trip-flares and para-flares were tucked into a side pouch. Next was her pistol holster clipping around her right thigh and hanging from her belt. Nestled within was her Sig Sauer P225 pistol and some spare magazines, with an extra pouch near the rear where the detonators and blasting caps for the C4 and claymores were carefully padded and settled. Then came her TCCC bag, strapping around the left thigh, a dark gray cross stitched into the black material, two tourniquets slid into side pouches.

Getting to her feet she finally strapped her bayonet and scabbard to her left hip and tied a small rope through a hole in the stock of her rifle, and let it hang from a carabiner on her right shoulder.

"No point in bringing silencers. Once we're in they'll notice. It's too close quarters," she said, sliding a black cap onto her head and finally flicking open the latch of the tube she'd been carrying around, and from within pulled free a slick katana held in a simple black leather scabbard that slid easily through the moly straps of her vest, the hilt sticking up over her shoulder in easy reach.

'There will be blood soon my dear' a small voice whispered into Sin's mind.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

"No silencers, eh? Sounds fun." Grave approached Ernie's counter, carrying the weapon of his choice. It was a typical longsword: straight, double-edged blade with a two-handed cruciform hilt, a modest cross-guard and pommel. A wrapped grip ensured that the weapon wouldn't slip out of his hands in a fight, and the blade had a fuller, enhancing it's durability and decreasing weight. The blade was forged using modern methods and materials, ensuring that it was light and strong - it seemed that command saw fit to keep a number of functional pieces like this one on hand. In other words, it was exactly what the darkling was looking for. After a short discussion with Ernie, Grave recieved a scabbard for his new murder tool, which he promptly strapped to his back. The man was somewhat suprised that the blonde didn't pick any other weapons, but didn't press on after learning of the newcomer's lack of training. "Alright, good to go."

OP
Host

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

When Rapture goes to leave, Host plainly moves to follow. The Lurker likely had no reason to be in the armoury beyond snooping, but he was also a part of the squad, and thusly entitled to anything he might need. …Probably.

Entering the armoury, Host grimaced as he passed his gaze over the assembled weaponry, his first and final word on the matter being “…Blech.” The demon peruses the weapon racks on the walls, occasionally fiddling with things, but mostly just scowling at them like they threw up on his carpet. He at least gets a bit of his better temperament back when Sinful unloads her equipment, smiling as he idly plays with a grenade; the gun handed to Shrike gets a single unseen nod from the reptile as he hangs in the background.

“You might want to pack as much extra ammo as you think you can manage.” Host chimes in idly, adding to the comments on bringing silencers while passing down the length of a rack, visually checking and immediately discounting almost every one of them. “Bots are nothing if not durable little fuckers; depending on the weapon and the bot, you can be looking at averaging a clip a kill. Failing that, well, use something high impact...”

“…Ahhhh…” he sighs a short time later, a gun in hand that he had checked over and apparently found serviceable. “Suri, catch.” He advises, tossing the assault rifle a few feet to the squad’s newbiest newbie. “An SG 550; it’ll do everything you ask it to, even take down bots - which makes it one of few guns on these racks actually able to kill something. Honestly, you could hand most of these out to children, leave them unsupervised, and have no need to worry about their safety…”

“So just what’s so wrong with them all, then?” The elderly man working the armoury challenged, understandably annoyed that the quality of his overseen stock was in question.

“Oh, don’t get me wrong, some of these are just dandy little bundles of murder. But the v-Bulletin supplied ones… well, they might provide good medical aid to their forums, but they’re stingy as hell when it comes to weapon quality, by all appearances.” Came the demon’s reply, though he notably continued to leave his actual issue with the weapons vague.

When Ernie was about to hand Grave the sword he had put up for inspection, Host was quite quickly between the two, gripping the sword’s blade before Grave could take it. “No.” He said simply, and then helpfully added “No, no, no, no,” with accompanying head-shaking; yet, despite that, his voice and movements seemed to have set aside the playfulness that he had taken while arguing with the ULMFer. “You don’t want this blade. Look, it didn’t even cut me;” he adds, releasing the sword back to Ernie, and showing a hand that, indeed, didn’t even have a slight line of penetration. Of course, Grave had no idea as to how resilient the reptile’s scaled hide was…

“I wouldn’t trust this sword to be up to the challenge of puncturing a waterbed, let alone a bot. V-Bulletin might do its fair share of combat, but it’s still too peaceful to pick out a good killing weapon, rather than something that just looks authoritative and feels nice in the hand. And I can assure you that this is one v-Bulletin sent in… I mean, honestly, the thing is still a virgin! -And I know that sounds nice, getting an unused blade you can mould to your way of killing – but trust me, regardless of how the balance feels, trying to wield something as dainty as this would be hell on you. No, you need something with experience, like…” he looked over the small selection of melee weapons, his expression slowly darkening as the seconds ticked by. “Like…” he began to walk along the length of the small selection of swords, only grimacing all the harder. “My god! I swear, half of this armoury hasn’t so much as crushed a bug! Sure, all the good weapons are likely already in real soldiers’ lockers but aha.” Two swords were pulled out of the bunch with a minor flourish, Host’s rant killed mid-sentence.

Neither of the weapons showed anything exceptional to Grave’s appraisal; neither had any form of magic that his own senses could detect. One was a fine enough weapon, steel, though possibly forged through less than perfect methods. It was a simple, straight, double edged piece of work, with a fairly minimal cross-guard and a rectangular pommel. It had no fuller, though weight would hardly be an issue – it was, somewhat against the darkness mage’s tastes, a short sword.

The other could have been the one he had been about to choose, were it not for two exceptions; part of the tip of the blade had broken off, leaving it largely unsuited for thrusts. Somewhat more concerning, though, was the fact that the blade was made of stone, rather than metal. It ought to make the weapon wholly unsuitable for combat against bots, but the demon walked to grave and offered them both with what appeared to be the utmost sincerity. “Either of these will fare better than the one you were going to use.” His expression serious, something more befitting the reptile's face than the flippant expressions he had been previously wearing, the demon looked Grave in the eye.

“If I was to bet my life against a bot, and I had to use a sword from this armoury, this one- “he raises the stone long sword slightly – “is the sword I would take.” …Host sounded, to all the world, to be speaking with the level of conviction that can only found when telling an utter truth. Of course, being not only a Lurker, but a diplomat at that, one could presume that the slippery reptile would be able to fake the same level of sincerity.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Grave grimaced when Host stopped him. For a moment, he wondered whether he should just punch the reptile in the face - or rather, that thing that was supposed to be his face - and get on with it, though he seemed to be fairly knowledgeable when it came to weapons... Then again, he focused on firearms, so it was hard to tell how much he knew about swords. The darkling had to admit that the demon had a point - the blade didn't cut him. With a sigh, he decided to humor the Lurker and let him look for a better choice. It'd be a chance to see whether he had a good eye for blades or not. At least he was able to tell that it was a fresh blade. Grave was actually looking forward to taking something new, as he had hoped to mold it into a real weapon, just like he was once molded into a real fighter.

The darkling tuned out most of Host's rant, as he had heard speeches like that more than once. However, when the Lurker returned with the two blades he had deemed "worthy", the mage was somewhat suprised. The first one was something he had briefly considered choosing, but ultimately discarded. Grave didn't have anything against short swords - in fact, he used a few kinds of them fairly often in the past, developing a quick and merciless style. However, precision was never his forte, and after building up necessary strenght he switched to a more powerful, aggressive technique, and his preferences changed to match this. The short sword was a good one - altough not a masterpiece, it was a solid piece of work and the presence of a fuller was unimportant in this kind of blade. And he probably could wield this with one hand...

The other blade had definitely caught Grave's attention during the selection and he spend a bit of time debating with himself about the choice before settling on the modern sword. He didn't mind the broken tip - he rarely used thrusts, anyway - but he was reluctant to use a stone blade. It's state suggested that it was a piece of junk, but the darkling doubted that. That broken tip meant that the blade had been used often enough to cause a lot of wear. It was, as far as the mage could tell, a killer weapon. It was also heavy, crude, unrefined and unpredictable, which made him hesitate. While he liked a sword with character, he had some bad experiences with blades who had too much of it. On top of that... How useful could it be against bots? For a stealth mission, it'd be better to take something he knew.

Grave frowned as he tried to make up his mind. On one hand, he was looking only for an emergency weapon, since he planned to fight using mainly his magic. Then again, he was once taught - quite painfully - not to rely on it too much. However... Was Host really trustworthy? He seemed sincere, but then again, demon. And notorious liar, asshole and a couple of other things. On top of that, the darkling really didn't like him. But in spite of that, he did reach out to take the stone sword from the reptile. The mage gave the weapon a close look, testing the edge with his thumb, then stepped away from the counter and made a couple of swings to check it's balance. "Hmm..." He gave the blade one last look before turning his glare back at Host. "We'll see whether this grandpa still remembers how to kill. Though if this is one of your tricks... You will regret it, even if I can't take care of you personally... For one reason or another. Ernie, I'll take this one after all."

S u r i

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Hearing his name said and told to catch something, he turned and caught the SG 550 in both of his hands. Looking at it and then nodding appreciatively, with a slight smile he spoke, "Swiss, hmn? And it's a Sig Sauer make. I like. Thanks."

His eyes looked over the assault rifle carefully, inspecting it to the fullest extent. He reached for the operating bolt and pulled it back, staring into the chamber and then at an angle to look down the chamber and some of the barrel. He released the bolt and then flicked around with the selective fire switch, making sure it worked and whatnot. He then pointed it off to the side and looked down the sights. With a accepting nod, he walked to Ernie's desk. As much ammo as possible, huh? Then I'll get the 30-round, mags. Do I need a scope? ...Nah.

Having decided the things he wants with his rifle, he asked Ernie for 6 30-round side-studded magazines, and 2 M84 stun grenades. After receiving his requested equipment, he walked over to a bench and began to attach the magazines at their sides using the studs. With three groups of two magazines, he attached the first group to the SG 550 and sorted it out. He placed the other mags in his coat along with the stun grenades.

Suri then placed the SG 550 onto the bench and reached behind him, pulling out a pair of handguns. The gun in his left hand looked much like a Jericho 941, and the gun in his right looked like an SVI 1911. Surine and Syl..., he thought to himself before checking the energy reading and transferring sensors on the grip. He held them both up off to a safe side and narrowed his eyes for a moment. With a light nod, he placed them back within the holsters at his rear and took the SG 550, slinging across his body.

"I'm good to go," he said.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

"If I'm in close quarters, then I won't be using it at all. The rifle's just for exceptional circumstances, so I'd rather have a silencer and not need it, than need it and not have one." Shrike replies easily, slinging the said gun over her shoulder and underneath her trenchcoat, adjusting the strap to her satisfaction. Once she finished, it was hard to tell whether or not the bulge of the weapon was visble underneath, though there may have been an extra fold there now, perhaps not.

She watches Host's antics with interest, the lizard once again making himself the center of attention. She raised an eyebrow when grave went with the suggestion and chose the stone sword, piping up herself after. "I could sharpen that tip up. If you don't mind losing a centimeter or so to the total length. And if you're still undecided, take your original choice as well perhaps?"

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

"Hmm..." Grave paused to consider Shrike's offer, staring at the tip of his weapon. After a moment or two, he shook his head. "No point in carrying two swords around if I'm going to end up using only one of them anyway... Especially since I was planning on using it as a back-up, not a primary killing mechanism. Worst case scenario, it might still work as a club. As for the tip..." The darkling turned his head towards Shrike, even as he exchanged the scabbard on his back for a more suitable one. "Leave it be, for now. I think I'm going to give it a test run before commiting to it or any other weapon, and I'd like to see how it handles right now. If I have to thrust, I can just use my own magic to create a sharp tip anyway. Come to think of it... Perhaps I could get back to a mixed style. It's been a while since I've tried that."

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sin looks up at Host as he goes on his rant and shakes her head.

"A good assault rifle or carbine will put a bot on its ass easily enough, but lots of ammo is still a good consideration. But do you ever shut your yap lad?" she said slowly.

'He's a threat. Let me feast!'

Sin stared at the lurker for a moment, before turning away, the hilt of her sword seeming to vibrate slightly.

Last edited: