What's new

ULMF the Third (RP Thread)

Pale

Reputation score
Re: ULMF the Third (RP Thread)

"Psht."

The almost-forgotten Rapture speaks up, dismissing Host's claim that it takes at least a full clip to put a bot down. The dark-eyed CO got herself out of the way not long after ensuring the group were functional and readying themselves appropriately, though lingering for half an envious glance at Sinful's sword. Loading what appear to be standard 5.56 rounds into a magazine, though, she continues...

"Doesn't take that many rounds to put a bot down. Now. If you're spraying them all over the place, if you're missing, if you're trying to punch through metal with .22s... yes. Takes a while. But put them in the right place and a bot goes down just as easily as anything else. His original point was correct, though. You can never have too much ammo. Those of us that can make their own, consider yourselves exempt."

With that, Rapture turns back to her own preparations. Clothing wasn't going to be an issue. Without access to the sealed suit she'd used on her last deployment, their CO seems to have gone with black fatigues, then a fairly nondescript tactical vest over the top. Of course the ever-present knife, and pistol are already sitting snugly in holster and sheath, spare magazines slotted neatly through retaining loops for the latter. After a brief glance around at the weapons on display, though, she nods, and retrieves an assault rifle from the rack.

A Bushmaster/Remington ACR, to be exact, and a rather battered looking, black one at that. A few moments later, though, and it becomes apparent that the Operative is -rather- familiar with this particular weapons system, as within a minute, she swaps out the stock for a folding variant, the barrel for a shorter, close-quarters model with inbuilt suppressor, adds a tactical light on one side and a laser on the other, a peculiarly angled, rather than vertical grip on the bottom.. and a night-vision sight on the top rail. A single point sling follows, and magazines are promptly distributed through her vest. Finally, she straps what looks like an overlarge watch to her wrist, and an earpiece to her left ear... before yanking open a drawer.

Steel shines up from a rather impressive range of sharp objects, and she grumbles.

"Ernie..! Must you keep reorganising..? Where'd you put the.."

Even as she's asking, the CO is rummaging, trying a few more drawers... before lighting upon her target.

"Ah-ha. Nevermind. Right, one each of these, don't worry about how to use them.. they'll work you out."

Each member of the team gets one of the odd watches, and an earpiece, practically thrown at them. Square, bulky, the devices do nothing.. until one puts them on, at which point the screen flashes up with the time. And precious little else.

"They're basically co-ordination units. Run them with tactical glasses for a heads-up display, with a bracer for a holographic interface, with an earpiece, as we'll be doing.. for comms. They capture subvocalisation as well... not sure how. Host.."

One, obnoxiously pink watch dangled between fingers.

"I got you a special one. Isn't it beautiful..?"

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sin catches the ear piece and watch and pulls them on.

"Time is already coordinated?" she asked briefly as she slipped the ear piece in, eyes on her commander for the remainder of her contract with ULMF. That was... the remainder of the coming conflict.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Shrike deftly catches the watch and earpeice and slips them on, finding them comfortable enough not to worry about. "Sounds like fun, though it will be odd to have people talking in my ear, as opposed to my head. Are we distributing those other toys as well, or do we not need them?"

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Grave catched the devices throw at him, putting them on. He raised his eyebrows as Rapture listed the uses these little devices had. Those things were definitely state of the art. "Nifty little buggers... How long will they last? You know, energy rese-" Before he could finish his question, his eyes caught the sight of watch his CO offered to Host. At this point, the darkling snorted, then began to chuckle as he imagined the Lurker wearing the pink device. "It'll definitely look good on him!" For a few moments, this idea seemed to amuse him a whole lot. Then, a thought struck. "Hey, anybody got a camera?"

Last edited:
OP
Host

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

"We'll see whether this grandpa still remembers how to kill. Though if this is one of your tricks... You will regret it, even if I can't take care of you personally... For one reason or another. Ernie, I'll take this one after all."
“Fair enough.” Host replies, Ernie giving a nod as he shifts some papers around, putting away the part of the armoury list with the more modern sword on it and getting out another, making some marks to update the record. Host peers over the counter, reading the file over the elderly man’s shoulder out of idle curiosity.

Doesn't take that many rounds to put a bot down. Now. If you're spraying them all over the place, if you're missing, if you're trying to punch through metal with .22s... yes. Takes a while. But put them in the right place and a bot goes down just as easily as anything else.
“Well, yes. Though it isn’t the size of your calibre that matters; it’s wh- …the force you hit with. Most bots are killed by shattering their internal components through transferred impact force, rather than direct destruction; their vitals are incredibly small, and could potentially be located anywhere in the creature’s body, although they have an odd tendency to cluster in the head. Without thermal imaging, trying to hit the components directly tends to be hellish. Against the bots we saw TP fielding before, assault rifles – decent ones… should be perfect for the job, penetrating but not piercing, transferring all of the force into the target. My own MP 5 & 40, on the other hand, don’t work quite as well… of course, that is assuming he hasn’t changed the type of bots he’s using. I had been hoping to find something more suitable here, but… No, I’ll stick to my guns and stick to my guns.”

At Pale’s offered piece of equipment, the demon gives a flat expression; and then to Grave’s subsequent reaction, he presents a middle claw. “How considerate.” Comes the reply… and if you didn’t know better, you could almost think that the reptile might, just possibly, be using sarcasm. “In addition to making me look fabulous, I suppose it locks to my arm and blows up at the push of a button?” He asks; the question sounds to be in jest, but the Lurker was quite seriously looking the device over in his hands – and the ear-piece, as well.

(Shadeaurion: Alright, by this point it would probably be hard for you to just pretend to have been here the whole time. If you’re still playing, you can dash into the group any time before we leave for the complex with a generic ‘sorry I’m late’ post, and we’ll go from there. Otherwise, you’ll have to be out until after the mission.)

S u r i

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

After catching his own device, he looked at it an appreciative nod before putting it on and slipping the earpiece in. When he saw and heard the little conversation concerning Host's pink device, he chuckled lightly and then turned back to his equipment. He did a quick check of everything to make sure he had what he needed. Everything looks sorted.

He looked to the two people he was assigned as a team, Sin and Grave. Then his eyes wandered off to the others in his squad, I wonder if I should try and make friends with a few of these guys...hmn.

shadearion

Truffles and/or Peaches
Reputation score

Shade limps in, looking around at the gathering. "Wow, my mind is getting cloudy. I was on my way to medical, when I remembered this meeting. Sorry I'm late, my memory isn't as great as it used to be." He surveys each in turn, wondering who was violent and who wasn't, threading his staff through the case on his back, looking for the person in charge.

OP
Host

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

Host watches the person newly entering the armoury with a frown. "Ah, Aurion. I had wondered why we were one person short during the briefing. To be in the armoury, you could only have run into Aika and been redirected here - which should mean that he took the time to give you the abridged version of what we're doing. Pick out a weapon if you need one -" a smirk replaces his annoyance - "and try not to forget which end gets pointed towards the enemies."

shadearion

Truffles and/or Peaches
Reputation score

Shade scans the weapons, selecting a Dragonov, looking down the barrel and making sure everything is in working order, hands moving with precision over the weapon, before sliding it into a carrying case and putting the strap on his shoulder, moving it into a position next to his staff. Turning to the group, he murmurs his readiness, and a series of cracks and pops can be heard, as he stands straight, and all trace of his former pain seems to drift away.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Grave grinned when Host showed him his middle claw, replying with a two-handed highway salute of his own. His expression changed into a frown when the newcomer finally showed up. Aurion? The darkling was sure that Aika mentioned someone named Shade... Maybe Host was referring to him by his last name. Oh well. Ignoring the man and the lizard - who was back to his usual antics, it seemed - he turned his head back to Rapture, remembering that he had a question to ask. "Ahem. So anyway... How much time do we have left before those things run out of power? What is their power source, anyway?" It never hurt to pick up a new bit of knowledge every now and then.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sin moved close to the new comer and glared at him. "Best not be late when we need that rifle," she hissed, a flash of anger crossing her features before she moved away.

Pale

Reputation score

"Time's already co-ordinated, yes.."

An odd habit, of not looking at her squad while she addresses them, instead tinkering with her sight, flicking it on and off, tightening the angled foregrip.

"And if you want the other toys, feel free to borrow them from... this drawer."

Drawer yanked open with one hand, the contents of which have rather clearly been organised by someone with no sense of organisation. Which is to say, it's a mess. Several pairs of tactical glasses can be seen within it, with various shades of lenses.

"Power source wise, they should be good for another.. hm."

A pointed check of her watch.

"....Five years..? Maybe six. It's top-secret stuff, though, they wouldn't even tell -me-. Probably Energisers. Not to men... Oi! Sunshine!"

This last directed at Shade as he takes down a -sniper rifle- from the rack, and the CO's up on her feet, dark hair flaring in her wake as she crosses the room.

"Nice gun.. but a bad idea. We're in close and personal on this op, and most of it is underground. Bring a sniper and you'll end up sat in the watchtower for hours on end while everyone else kicks ass. Try something a little smaller. An assault rifle.. or smaller than that if you're feeling lucky. Everyone else ready to go..?"

This last, flung over her shoulder at the squad, still milling around sorting out the last elements of kit.

"Sin, if you want to double-check everyone, get the radios tuned.. they -should- have auto-bonded to each other by now, but check anyway. I'll get bonehead here organised."

OP
Host

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

As Shade heals himself, Host's face adopts the closest approximation it could manage of an eyebrow raise... without actually having any eyebrows. "Oh, good... I was beginning to think we were going to have to put someone on cripple-carrying duty."

When Pale asks if everyone is set up, Host raises a hand slightly and nods to signal himself as all done. "As ready as the moment I stepped in… which is to say, ready." Despite that, the reptile didn't actually have a single piece of equipment visible anywhere on his body. Still, he seemed pretty confident he had everything he needed...

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Grave rolled his eyes, sighing at the scene unfolding in front of him. "Oh joy. I have such a wonderful feeling about this mission already..." His voice left little doubt that this feeling was anything but wonderful. "Terrible" fit better. He refrained from continuing that thought - the situation wasn't bad enough to warrant what he was about to say... Not yet, at least. That being said, he was not too fond of the latest addition to the team. Suri at least seemed to have a good idea of what they were about to do and prepared himself accordingly. Shade gave the appearance of being unreliable. 'He better not force us to pull his ass out of trouble later...' With that grim thought in his head, Grave adjusted the sword on his back. He wanted to be able to pull it out quickly, preferably without having to make big motions. Once he was satisfied with it's position, he walked up to the drawer and picked a pair of tactical glasses, choosing one that would protect his eyes from strong light. As he linked them up with the rest of his gear, he couldn't help but wonder what powered those things, though. A nuclear battery? "Well, good to go. About damn time we raised some Hell."

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Plucking a pair of orange tinted glasses from the drawer Sin turned to face the others and quietly spoke into her headset.

"Radio check, reply if you can hear me, and don't be fucking smart asses about it... or I will make sure you bleed," Sin said, and glared at Host with the last part.

With that done she glanced at her CO once more. "You haven't given us a call sign yet. We got one, or we just going by names?" she asked as she moved towards Grave first, inspecting his choice of kit, gently tugging on his articles to make sure they were attached properly, before moving on to Suri and performing the same action.

S u r i

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

"I hear ya loud and clear," Suri said before pulling out a pair of glasses from the drawer and frowned he frowned for a bit. He was already wearing glasses, and it would hinder his ability if he took them off. After replacing the glasses within the drawer, he fished around within the drawer for something more suitable for him He pulled out a pair of lenses that could attach onto his pre-existing glasses, and placed them on. After doing a quick check that all of his systems were online, he nodded.

When Sin came and inspected him, he looked at her for a brief moment before getting his bearing together. She'd find that everything was in tip top shape with him, maybe even better.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sin glanced at Suri as he looked at her. "You got water?" she asked simply, as she looked over his kit.

S u r i

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Suri blinked and reached into one of his coat's pockets, pulling out a small flask of water he carried around. Having traveled from place to place quite a bit, he found that keeping a water supply around was a good idea.

"Travellin' from place to place tends to have ya prepared for things, ma'am."

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

"It does indeed. Get something bigger than that flask, like this," she said, pointing at 3 liter pack on her back with a tube running over her shoulder. "It's called a Camelbak. I suggest it more," Sin said, and moved along.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Grave didn't have much gear on him, and all of the stuff was secured properly and ready to use. He was finishing calibrating his glasses when Sin checked his equipment status. The mage mostly ignored her, letting the soldier do her job. "Alright... Radio's working, thank you very much." He wondered whether she would accept help with making a certain someone bleed, staring at Host with a contemplative look on his face. He was actually curious about the reptile's combat prowess. Was he any good in a fight? He had to be at least competent... Perhaps he'd make a good sport later. The darkling still wanted to get even with him, after all.