What's new

ULMF the Third (RP Thread)

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: ULMF the Third (RP Thread)

Shrike picked through the drawer, taking out a pair of deep blue galsses and considering them before placing them back. "Never could get used to wearing glasses. Hated the weight on the bridge of my nose." She said by way of explanation, pulling out a bracer. "Now this may work..." She mumbles, slipping ot on her left forarm experimentally.

((Hehe, playing too much Fallout, I want a pip-boy XD ))

OP
Host

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

Host, upon finishing his check of the equipment, puts it on. He taps the earpiece a few times, waiting for the device to sync up. "Wow, this is incredible! I can hear you like we were in the same room, not twenty meters ap- Ow!" The demon winces... then his considerably grumpier voice comes over the earpiece. "...Do all of these shoot ear-splitting white noise through your skull when they first sync, or is my watch being special again?"

After a brief stretch of his arms, the reptile makes an exaggerated mimicry of checking the time, before moving his hands to his face with an expression of mock horror. He speaks, adopting excessively feminine motions and a pitch far higher than his usual.
"Oh, dearie me, look at the time, we really must be going! Toodle-oo, Ernie dear~! Say hello to Beatrice for me, gossip, gossip; etcetera, etcetera…"
The demon struts out of the armoury as he talks - only to poke his head in and announce in his normal voice, "…But really, move your arses! Last one to the truck gets to be bait, if we end up needing it!"

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

As soon as Host opened his mouth Sin strode up to him and punched him in the face. Hard. She then pulled her sword free and pressed the pointed tip against his throat, just hard enough to bite.

"I told you. Be a smart ass and I will make you bleed," she snarled angrily.

'Push. Let me taste his blood, feel it gush out from his split flesh!'

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Grave ignored most of the things Host said. He was beginning to realize that the reptile was just trying to bait people, altough why he kept doing that in front of someone capable of harming him (and willing to do the deed) was a mystery to him. He did not, however, expect Sin to react so... Rashly. Not that he had anything against it. The demon was an annoying git and it was quite obvious that nothing short of grevious maiming was going to shut him up. Grave paused, observing the action with interest. This could be fun...

Pale

Reputation score

Pale wasn't used to being ignored. Nonetheless, Shade casually continues with what he's doing while being berated by his commanding officer, apparently proceeding with his choice of weapon despite her advice.

She draws a breath in, and straightens. Just before Shade can get a royal tongue-lashing, though, the commotion with Host distracts Rapture, and she scowls. Fine. Resolving to let the man be an idiot, she tosses his radio-watch down on the surface closest to him, and turns to find Sinful with a sword at Host's throat. She sighs. The man really was good at making enemies.

"Sinful. Now. I like you.. don't make me do this."

The threat isn't exactly obvious until you realise there's a pistol in her hand.

"I understand, I really do.. but two things. 1. He dies, it's my ass. And 2. He dies, the Lurkers declare war on us. You think they sent us their most annoying reptile by -mistake-? His higher-ups are -drooling- waiting for you to kill him. Don't be an idiot. Besides. Man's right, our truck'll leave without us, and there are a -lot- of Regulars waiting on us."

shadearion

Truffles and/or Peaches
Reputation score

Shade ignores her, but sets the Dragonov aside, loosening the sword at his hip and checking the clip on the revolver he carried in a shoulder holster. Watching the two members fight, he sighed inwardly, wondering how on earth the team would function if they were continually at each other's throats. He left it to the bossy leader to sort it out, while he listened, he rarely spoke, giving a false impression of arrogance and willfulness.

Last edited:

S u r i

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Blinking for a moment, Suri nodded to Sin's suggestion with a light smile. He went to Ernie and asked for a Cameback with water, which he received shortly after requesting it. Maybe I should bring a long a few more flash bangs, couldn't hurt. He requested two more M84's from Ernie and placed them in within his coat. He then fixed the Camelback onto his back, sorting out it out and fixing it so he wouldn't have to deal with it on the field. After another check of his equipment, he nodded to himself. He was set and ready to go.

He looked up, only to see Sin draw her sword on Host and Rapture draw her gun on Sin, his eyes widened. With a short sigh, he checked his equipment again and then turned to the scene involving Sin, Rapture, and Host. His eyebrows furrowed together due to slight agitation.

"Do we really have time to be doin' this?? We're gonna be late, and then what?!" Suri looked back at his three superiors before giving a nod of apology for speaking out of hand. After that, he merely stood there in an attention stance.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

"Huh. Feels like home already." Grave commented, though it sounded merely like a calm observation instead of a verbal jab. Out of the people assembled in the armory, he was one of the few, if not the only one, who remained nonchalant. "Hey Sin, how about this?" He called out to the swordswoman. "You let him go now... And once we return from the mission, one of us - or both, if you prefer - will put him in a hospital for a week. Or a few weeks. Maybe months." The darkling scratched the back of his head. "Hell, I'm going to do that anyway. That being said... If anyone needs me, I'll be waiting in the truck. See ya later, people." Humming a cheerful melody to himself, Grave walked out of the room. However, after taking a few steps down the corridor, he stopped. Leaning against the wall, he listened in, curious whether his words would have any effect on the situation.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sin kept her eyes on Host, pressing her sword just a little harder, before pulling back and sheathing it again. "Listen carefully Lurker. I kill you, ULMF can easily blow it off as a Merc gone nuts. Do not. Fuck. Around. Hear me?" Sin said dangerously.

Turning to Pale she nodded. "All my contracts are rather specific like that. Lets us break away in case our employers turn out to be... psychotic. Or in case our employers turn out to bring along untrustworthy folk. Ma'am," Sin said, with a nod, and watched Grave march out the door.

"Suri, on the truck,"

S u r i

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

"Y-Yes, ma'am," Suri nodded before taking hold of his SG 550, getting into the truck and having a seat. He sighed lightly and had a passing glance with everyone's faces before looking down to his rifle.

Closing his eyes, he decided to just remain silent during the ride.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Shrike let out a barely audible sigh at the drama as it unfolded, once again not saying a word. Anything she said would have added to the fracas, anyways.

She left to head to the truck a few steps behind Grave, giving him a chuckle as he stopped to listen. "Does everyone really want to end the Lurker so badly?" She asks in a wry tone of voice, not stopping to hear the answer.

Once she gets to the truck, she takes a corner and leans back into it, tilting her head back till it touches the wall behind her and laying her hands palm-up on her knees. After a few seconds, six or seven golf-ball sized spheres of blue appear in front of her, and with small twitches to her fingers, she begins moving them through intricate patterns in the air in front of her chest for most of the trip.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

With the two men of her fireteam on the truck, Sin clambered aboard, seating herself near the entrance. She set the barrel of her carbine down on the ground, and curled her fingers over the stock and leaned her head back, eyes closing. For a moment it almost looked as if she were asleep.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Grave sighed as he loaded himself on the truck. Sin did have a point - the forum could put the blame on her and avoid the conflict. He couldn't help but wonder, though - why was Host going out of his way to piss everyone off? The darkling gathered all the information on the reptile that he could find when looking for a way to get his revenge, and for all he knew, the demon was a crafty son of a bitch. He'd not provoke people who had both the inclination and the ability to maim him on a whim - not without a plan, at least. Shaking his head, the mage made himself comfortable, leaning back and crossing his arms. He seemed to be lost in thought, staring blankly at whatever was in front of him.

OP
Host

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

Host's head snaps back with an "Oof!" from the punch - Sinful's fist felt a skull that was as thick as his previous actions would make her expect - Then forward again as she grabs the demon and holds his neck against the blade. "Glerhk.." The Lurker, however, after a brief moment of shock, only looks her in the eyes, unflinching as the others act around them... at least until he suddenly winces. "Oh, hey... the radio synced." He announces, using the radio itself, just before Sinful releases him. Her parting words, though, got a chuckle from the demon, unable to resist the chance to mock.

"Oh my, getting a person on contract to kill the Lurker’s diplomatic representative, instead of using an ULMFer directly? Not a one of the Lurkers saw -that- possibility coming.” A smirk, and he walked out to the truck. “Really, what do you think we are, some kind of goody-two-shoes, registered organisation? We’re evil. If we wanted to kill you, we would – so you can presume that, at the moment, nuking ULMF isn’t high on our list of priorities. That could change if, say, something untoward happened to the Lurker’s diplomatic representative while he was in ULMF’s care – whether or not an ULMFer actually did the deed.”
His piece said, the demon hauled himself into the truck. It was a shame that he couldn’t give more away… they needed to know where they stood - but anything more, and the Lurkers might put his loyalty into question…

When everyone was on board, the truck rolled off, moving them along a road towards the complex. “So, with the exception of Suri and Shade, I know most of you have fought bots… but how much do you know about them? Tell me, what’s the difference between a bot, robot, and addbot?” Host looked around, gauging at least one or two confused faces. “Alright… a robot is a machine built by another creature to move around and perform tasks - I doubt I really need to go into much about them. A bot… well, it sure as hell isn’t built by a creature, not in any sense the Net understands.”

They passed by the first few trees, the road becoming less strictly defined as the truck entered the forest. “Sure, they look like machines, they work like machines, and they’re made of metal… but they come from whole different places. Bots can only ever be created by a hacker or programmer. They have some form of unidentifiable ability to create certain things, bots included, out of… as far as anyone can tell, nothing. Given how rare hackers and programmers have become, bots are quite an uncommon sight. …Well, alright, the addbots make up about… what is it they’re saying now, 70% of the known Net? –But they move slow, and nobody’s dumb enough to try fighting them anymore, so actually encountering a bot is rare.”

The road, as it was, was now nothing more than a particularly wide gap in the trees where less grass grew. “I suppose you’re thinking, ‘big whoop, they get pulled out of thin air rather than built’… but there’s more to it than that. Bots have some… undefinable quality that makes most machines totally unable to recognise them. Automated targeting systems can’t see the things at all, or go absolutely haywire. Video feed can be blank, static, random images… even thermal imaging will fuck up a good deal of the time. The R n’ D of absolutely everywhere has been trying to figure out why this is, ever since the addbots showed up… but nobody’s got the slightest. And this is before we get into the freakier shit – scripts, which could be anything from machines, to weird machine-ghost essence things, to fake humans… to the addbot’s signature dick move – possession scripts.” With steeled features, he looks to Sinful, and then to Rapture, the only two others in the truck to have gone through Tentacle Haven’s assault from the addbots. “Anyone who has had to go through any extended fight with the addbots will tell you that possession scripts are among the most horrifying thing they can possibly imagine. Myself included.” After a moment, the sombre atmosphere dismisses itself. “The addbots, for those of you who live under rocks, are the big ball of ‘consume everything’ that marks the middle of the Internet. They’re just bots like any other, supposedly created for the sake of advertising… but things were apparently done a little incorrectly and so while they do advertise, they’re also genocidal maniacs. At some point in history, so long ago that almost no record of the actual date still survives, the addbots were strong enough to defeat everything an alliance of all civilised forces on the Internet could throw at them… and they’ve only been getting more numerous since. Any questions? Yes, there will be a test…”

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

"So?" Grave spoke up as soon as Host paused. He was somewhat familiar with bots, altough he didn't know about a couple of things that the reptile mentioned. Those facts were somewhat frightening, or at least would be frightening to someone else. The darkling didn't care too much about the history or numbers. The bit about scripts was more interesting, especially the part about possession scripts. He had never seen those in action, but he could guess what they do. Still... What would warrant bringing this up? "What's the point of this little lesson? Are you just informing us about what we're about to face, or is there something else you'd like to say?" The mage couldn't quite see the Lurker's point, so he decided to ask about it directly. And while his voice was somewhat cold, there was no trace of hostility in it... Yet.

OP
Host

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

"Besides showing off how much more I know than most of you?" the clown of a demon jokingly answers Grave, his gleeful expression showing off a whole lot of shark-teeth... which then quickly melded back into a more serious look, a bit of mild concern creeping into his features as he continued in his ‘explanation’ voice.

"Toonpimp has bots... and bots aren't just made. Now, bots can make more of themselves, but how did Toonpimp get his first one? Even if he re-programmed someone else's, that requires at least the help of a hacker. There are still a few groups of hackers and programmers that will sell bots to a person, though they're difficult to find - the big unknown, though, is whether Toonpimp just bought himself these toys... or if he's actually working with someone who can make them. If he does have something that makes bots under his control, and if it turns out to be in this heavily-bot-staffed building, you need to know how to recognise and kill it. If it's a hacker, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. The usual weapons you'll find one using are melee, edged, and typically very heavy; not something you want to get hit with. They're usually heavily armoured - but they're people, so enough shots will take them down quickly enough. The summoned bots could get in the way, but unless a hacker catches us one-on-one, it shouldn't be a problem."

"A script... well, they're more problematic. There's no way he could have more than one of the things - only programmers can create them, and doing so is supposedly incredibly difficult; I'd gamble that Toonpimp couldn't have found two programmers willing to sell a script, let alone actually bought both. Given that he has bots, it would have to be a bot-script, possibly the least dangerous of the scripts a person can face - though that's not saying much. User knows what it would look like, or even if it would take a form that our weapons could damage; magic tends to work, but then there have also been accounts of scripts that are even immune to various magic types. The one thing that you can be sure of is that it would veritably piss bots at us, even if it couldn't fight itself. We would need to cut through to the script quickly, or it would wear us into the ground. If it is a Programmer..."
Host gives a single, harsh laugh.
"If it was a Programmer, the good news is, Toonpimp would no longer be our most serious threat! ...Now, the likelihood of a programmer working for Toonpimp is incredibly low - by all accounts, Programmers are all hermity nutters… but if you see one, run. They seem to have a thing for cybernetic modification… but the only sure-fire way to pick out a Programmer is the fact that all of their enemies start dying horribly when they appear. I've had the prior pleasure of watching one fight, and most of what they do is similar to a high-level telekinetic... with a side of, say, spontaneously generating a suit of active hand-grenades around a person. I have been told that they need to get some kind of mental lock on you to be able to pull that off, though – so the second best strategy is to turn corners and break line of sight whenever possible. …The best strategy, on the other hand, is to pray like fuck that we don't run into a programmer."

Host, despite the detail he went into, and the convincing manner with which he seemed to be honestly speculating, already had a decent idea as to the identity of the person providing Toonpimp with bots. He kept it from his thoughts, but to the reptile, their design was alltogether too familiar...

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Grave stared at Host with a calm expression during the lecture. His eyebrow raised slightly when he heard about the possibility of Toonpimp owning a script - those things were hard to get and even harder to buy. He frowned when the reptile mentioned programmers. He once stumbled upon a beginner, and it was a brief meeting he'd never forget. Altough some would probably dismiss stories about their power as fables, the darkling was firmly convinced that those bastards were genuine reality warpers. Few beings would make him run in terror, but programmers were definitely on the list. The mage firmly stomped down on his fear before it began to show. "I see. So this might be his bot factory. How lovely." Grave paused for a bit, then turned his head to Rapture. "Boss. If it turns out it's a hacker and we get a clear shot at him, should we kill him on sight? And by the way..." The darkling turned his head to Host, looking curious. "You think TP could be manipulated by his benefactor?"

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sin stayed quiet, but listened to Host speak, eyes closed and head leaning back against the side of the truck. She bristled slightly at the mention of Tentacle Haven, but quickly calmed down. The old memories pushed away... they weren't that horrible anymore.

S u r i

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Suri listened in to Host's explanation on their enemies. While much of the information was unknown to him, he wasn't unfamiliar with them. A light frown came upon his face as he remembered his past, and the events that ultimately lead up to him migrating to ULMF. He shut his eyes and slowly sighed as he merely continued to listen on.

After hearing a little more from Host, he reached into his coat and removed what looked like a rectangular piece of some sort of paper and looked at it for a brief moment. After staring at it, he put it back into his coat and then just blankly gazed at his front.

shadearion

Truffles and/or Peaches
Reputation score

Shade appeared to have his head in the clouds, but was actually actively listening, taking mental notes to be used later. One thing caught his attention, though, and he looked up into the lurker's eyes. "You say programmers form mental connections? Interesting. I have never met one, and I have not heard much until now, but tell me, would using a mental wall buy even a few seconds more time to retreat?"