What's new

ULMF the Third (RP Thread)

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: ULMF the Third (RP Thread)

((Oh, you and your foreshadowing ;) ))

"Do they put up many mental defenses, that you're aware of? I could probably stun them, keep them from thinking straight or concentrating. I'd have to focus on that fairly exclusively though, would need some cover from anything else around." Shrike pipes up from her corner. Her eyes are still closed, her head tilted back, and the orbs still dancing in front of her, moving faster to match the pace of her fingers as they twitched seemingly at random.

"We had a hacker in this squad, once upon a time. Not exactly sure what happened to her. Has anyone seen Tsuki in the last few weeks?"

Pale

Reputation score

Defusing the situation in the armoury proves easier than expected. A few tense words... and weapons are put away, safeties eased on once more.. and within five minutes, Rapture's hopping up onto the truck, last woman in, and presumably, first out. During the ride, as Host briefs the group on what he knows, she hands out the small, black, rectangular devices demo'd earlier for getting through the shield. Grave's the first to get a word out of her since the armoury, though, with his question. It comes free with a black scowl.

"I wish. Nope, we see anything that looks to be human, as opposed to bot or robot..? It's kid gloves for everyone, safeties and non-lethal takedowns only. Programmer or not. And trust me, I hate that -just- as much as you do. Probably more. And Tsuki's..... a little broken up right now."

The scowl only gets darker.

"Some mutant pile of leeches got a little too friendly last op. Let's just say.. PTSD is an understatement. We've lost her for the foreseeable future. And... much as it pains me to say it, lizard's probably right. If I was Toonpimp..? I'd be working day and night, either rebuilding my forces, or... gunning for a trump card. If we do get a Programmer... run the fuck away. Not kidding. Bots, robots, humans, aliens, elves, orcs.... cake. If we find a Programmer, run. No heroics, please. And this is yours, Grave.."

Backpack slid along the floor of the truck to her close-quarters man, fairly heavy and quite obviously containing something bulky.

"Light as possible. I have the det codes, so don't worry about that.. there's a red button somewhere as well, but I'll instruct you on that if we need it. Which we shouldn't."

The truck starts to slow.. and Rapture checks her rifle for one last time. As it grinds to a halt, she's out, scanning the trees around them in both directions, rifle up and ready, dark eyes flitting across empty, darkened trees. With the sun having set just over an hour ago, the forest isn't exactly pitch-black... but it's hardly light, either.

"Ok.. we're clear. Watch your footing as you disembark, and don't break those transmitters."

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Grave rolled his eyes, going out of his way to show disdain for the orders to "play nice". He'd rather tear the bastards apart and let God sort them out. However, as soon as Rapture elaborated about Tsuki's situation, his expression got serious. And just as dark as his CO's grimace, with flashes of rage lurking beneath it. He knew exactly what happened - he was the one who killed said pile of leeches, after all - and it was one of the reasons why mercy should be, as far as he was concerned, VERY optional. He hoped that the girl recovered from her ordeal, even just a little, but it seemed that his hopes were in vain. Nodding absently at the warning, he couldn't help but recall another missing member of the squad. Copper. She left some time ago, hunting for Toonpimp in hopes of getting revenge. What was she doing right now?

Grave snapped out of his angry trance just in time to catch the backpack before it hit his toes. Putting it on, he nodded once Rapture finished explaining, his sword hanging right next to it. Checking his stuff one last time and ensuring that the backpack was secured, he stepped out of the truck and onto the ground after his CO announced it was safe. Moving away form the vehicle to make room for others, he scanned the area. He was probably one of the few people around here who wouldn't have to worry about night vision. Having an eye of darkness was nice, sometimes.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Shrike shudders a bit upon hearing of Tsuki, and replies with a silent nod. Her brow furrows a bit as she accepts the device from Rapture, the spheres centering above her other hand as she reaches out. One of them starts to lose shape, looking more like a glob of liquid in space than a solid ball, so she closes her hand into a fist, and they all disappear, after which she 'wakes up' and collects herself.

The truck stops and because of her position in the back, she's one of the last to hop out. She picks her way carefully to one side in the darkness, then expands he mental senses outward, looking for any other consciousnesses in the area besides those of the squad...

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sin gently jumped out from the back of the truck right after Pale did, and moved off to her side, stock of her carbine nestled against her shoulder. Her eyes peered down through the holographic sight, the red crosshairs glowing slightly before her fingers flicked on the night vision, turning the screen into a gentle green that let her peer through the darkness.

"Suri, Grave, on me," Sin called quietly, wanting her fire team where they could work together efficiently.

As the others clambered out of the transport, her nostrils flared, taking in the scents of the surrounding forest. Pine, earth, and the hint of a bot's oily tang. No animals though. Her ears twitched slightly as she focused her hearing as well, using all her senses to get her bearings and search for the enemy.

S u r i

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Suri checked his rifle one final time before carefully disembarking from the truck. He looked around to catch a glimpse of the surroundings, and to see if there was anything other than the squad present. He ran a finger along the templex of his glasses, and the area became a slight green to him.

He looked up to his fireteam leader, Sin, before looking around once again with the newly improved vision. It was virtually empty. No animals. No people. No bots. Just nature and the squad. Suri lowered his rifle into a British ready position and awaited further orderes.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Grave replied witha grunt that sounded vaguely like a confirmation of recieving an order, moving closer to Sin. He took a position at the front of the group, keeping his role as a front-liner in mind. While the rest of the group was organizing, he took some time to examine the device he got from Rapture. He wasn't too fond of relying on gizmos like that to achieve his goals, but if it got him into the complex unharmed, he would be more than willing to use it. For now, the darkling placed it in a pocket within his reach, just in case he had to take it out quickly. Then he moved on to check the HUD settings on his glasses one last time to ensure that yes, they were perfectly fine and displaying everything he wanted to see. After a brief moment of thought, he decided to disable the crosshairs - not like he was using a firearm anyway, and he could aim his magic without any aid. Once he was done with that, the mage glanced at Suri and Sin, checking whether they were ready to go as well.

shadearion

Truffles and/or Peaches
Reputation score

Shade opened his senses slowly, trying to detect any nearby animals, birds, insects, or even people. The area felt barren to him, a small amount of plant life, but not much else, except his companions. This was a bad place, and he closed his senses quickly, before it left a bare spot upon him. Shade stayed back, awaiting orders, using his years to observe the others and discern their tactics and techniques with interest. Knowing how someone is trained, their instincts and their reactions helps to know how they fight, and who they are.

OP
Host

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

"You think TP could be manipulated by his benefactor?"
Host scratches his chin. “Well, that’s a possibility… but I wouldn’t bet on it. Toonpimp’s pretty paranoid; anyone screwing him over, or even just attempting to steal some of his glory, wouldn’t have an easy time of it.”

A moment later, the demon is questioned by Shrike and Shade, and is forced to admit defeat, raising his hands in surrender. “Woah, hey; I know I must seem like a wellspring of knowledge on programmers, but most of this is general information. I don’t have a clue how their powers actually work, and I’ve never heard about a fight between a Psychic and a Programmer, so I can’t say one way or the other.”

Host hopped out of the truck, cracking his knuckles backwards. “Alright… if we’re lucky, the bots will be the same as in Toonpimp’s palace, and won’t be networked together, so killing one won’t immediately blow our cover. If they are networked, we’ll need to move fast – otherwise, we can take our time if we’re sneaky enough.” (…Wait, who was the squad leader here? Well, I guess not actually being an ULMFer gives the demon a decent amount of leeway in which to speak his mind…) Under Rapture’s order, he and the rest of the squad head out silently, heading for the complex.

The building is rectangular; all metal, smooth and small… of course, as Rapture’s images had revealed, the visible structure on the surface was only the beginning of a fairly reasonable underground complex. The only indication of any shield at all was the burnt patches of grass at occasional points from Rapture’s testing around the structure – and the larger one at the front. Oddly, no one had bothered to actually attempt to cover the large truck-fire burns up. One had to wonder if the building was actually staffed at all, or if only machines ‘lived’ inside…

The resident psychic of the squad would be able to clarify that, as Shrike was able to pick up something thinking inside – which meant something sentient and non-mechanical… but the thoughts were hazy, disjointed and not quite possible to make out. The depth of the complex might be interfering with her ability to sense the minds inside, or to separate them from one another if there turned out to be more than one.

Almost hugging the edge of the building, four bots patrolled. The things were quite obviously machines, not bothering with the faux-human covering that was oddly popular with the things these days. A single, red-light was fixed into the right side of its head, presumably a camera, and nondescript metal covered the machine’s more sensitive parts. Each one carried a Škorpion in one of its robotic hands. The patrol was actually quite dumbly set up; the bots were constantly looking forward as they walked, rather than out into the treeline, and there was a fairly blatant, approximately eight-second gap in which no bot was present on the short side of the building – including the one Rapture’s assembled squad was facing. …Unfortunately, figuring this out was a task in and of itself – floodlights, one to the short sides and two to the long sides, were aimed directly at the treeline opposite the structure. While the patrol route and the lack of any change in the burnt grass would seem to indicate a deficit of any intelligent presence, the floodlights were new.

“Well, so much for my integrated night vision…” Host murmurs, trying to see through the lights as he peers from the treeline, shielding himself from the light with a hand. “…I can see bots… damnit, can anybody tell what we’re dealing with?”

Last edited:

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

"Let me try..." Grave closed his right eye, focusing his awareness on the left one. Those who were paying attention would notice that it began to to emit a dim, red glow. "Four bots. Armed with sub-machine guns of some kind... I think I saw that model before, though I'm not sure where..." He muttered quietly, relying on the radio to transmit his voice just loud enough for people to hear. "If we can get past the floodlights, dealing with them shouldn't be a problem. Whoever planned the patrol route is a dumbass." The darkling concluded his observation, opening his right eye. "You think I should block them out? I could conjure a temporary enchantment which should stick to the floodlights for a while after hitting it... Of course, if there's some kind of camera or observator there, it'd get a bit more tricky."

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Shrike nods along to Host's answers as she picks her way along with the group, not letting loose with a retort of her own until after the reach the perimeter. "I sense some consciousness down in there, though whether it's the shield, the distance through ground, or some other defense they have up, I can't make it or them out clearly. Doesnt appear to be anything living above ground level, however." She says, unsuccessfully trying to peer through the floodlights to the building beyond. "My paranoid side is telling me that there is someone intelligent runing this facility, and that they actually want us to get inside." She mumbles, mostly to herself.

OP
Host

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

”Four bots. If we can get past the floodlights, dealing with them shouldn't be a problem. Whoever planned the patrol route is a dumbass. You think I should block them out? I could conjure a temporary enchantment which should stick to the floodlights for a while after hitting it... Of course, if there's some kind of camera or observator there, it'd get a bit more tricky."
“Ah, handy. I was going to suggest shooting the things out, but the shield will probably mess up our aim. If they have cameras set up as well, they’ll catch us getting through the shield anyway; alerting them a little earlier by killing the lights won’t make much of a difference.” Then, Host grimaces slightly. “When you say hit it… do you mean that it’s going to be physically moving through the shield? I’m not certain the attack will make it all the way through, but you can try if you want. …You sure you can’t just magic something into existence beyond the shield?”

“Could be…” Host says, just as quietly, when Shrike whispers her suspicions. “…Or it could be a good sign. They put up floodlights to stop an attack… but didn’t reprogram the bots to a smarter patrol. If we assume that they really are trying to keep us out, and these ones were made solely to patrol, then if we’re lucky, it could indicate that they don’t have anyone present who -can- re-program the bots. Of course, this being a trap is equally likely.”

“The question is how to pass the bots… Kill them all, or just kill one or two and hope the others don’t notice? And who is going to be the scapegoat who takes the first run at this?” Host looks back as he asks…. And notices a lot of eyes on him that would certainly like to have the demon used as their entry pass. “Oh, it’s going to be like that, is it…” the Lurker mutters – “…Alright, I’ll start this off – if that isn’t a problem, Rapture? Grave, kill the lights, if you think you can.” Host shifts his weight, getting into a position more suited for the dash he was intending to make, the device that would let him through in hand.

shadearion

Truffles and/or Peaches
Reputation score

Shade wonders whether the demon is in over his head, going alone. He puts a hand on his shoulder, slipping a small pouch into the demon's pocket. "For emergencies," he mumbles, moving back.

S u r i

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Suri brought his fingers to the rim of his glasses and slowly moved them away from the center. The glasses basically zoomed in on the bots, and then zoomed out as he ran his fingers closer to the center.

As he watched Host get into position, he placed pointed his rifle toward the patrolling bots. He scoped the area slowly, keeping a watch for Host just in case things were to go wrong.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sin craned her neck to the side until she felt a small pop in her spine. With a roll of her shoulders she stepped up beside the Lurker, holding her carbine easily.

"Well. Let's go laddy," she said quietly before turning back to Grave and Suri.

"You two better be right behind," she said quietly to the two as she readied herself to follow the demon.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

"Yeah, yeah..." Grave frowned a bit, pondering Host's suggestion. "Actually, I could probably pull it off..." He quickly turned his head to the demon as he prepared himself for the run. "Wait! I have to concentrate for this. This will require some preparation, a few minutes at most. Don't go until I tell you it's ready." The darkling glanced at the rest of his companions. "I think it'll be better if we finish all of them off. That way, we won't have to worry about them on our way back, assuming we'll be leaving the same way. Now... Unless the shield is capable of disrupting pure mana, which is very unlikely, I should be able to create a shroud around those things. Don't interrupt me, I've had enough accidents with dark magic going out of control." The mage shifted his right hand as he said that last bit.

Grave took a deep breath, clearing his mind and focusing. Normally he'd have simply projected mana from his body into a solid shape and then released the spell, but there was a chance that a construct wouldn't make it past the barrier. Instead, he was forced to complete it from a distance, which always complicated things. It was a difficult technique which required the ability to manipulate mana outside of a caster's body, as well as the ability to draw upon power from external sources. The ambient power in this location wasn't worth much, but the darkling wasn't planning to rely on it too much. It'd be enough to create a temporary link between him and his target - the veil itself would be crafted from his own reserves. In a way, it was similiar to opening a magic circuit.

Closing his eyes, Grave quickly began to work on the spell. First, he needed to choose his medium. It didn't took much to manipulate air, but making it do exactly what you wanted was an achievement in itself - creating a stable link in such a chaotic element required extensive knowledge and skill. Earth, on the other hand, was perfectly stable, but harder to move. Drawing power from it required considerable strenght, too. Fortunately, the darkling only needed to shift it and make a pathway, which was much easier - and simplifed by the fact that he could make the path along the surface instead of going deep. Then, he'd only have to direct the mana up the wall and form shrouds around the lights. The mage started to mutter strange words under his breath, an incantation spoked in language of the darkweavers. After a few moments, darkness began to pool around the lights, quickly climbing up and wrapping around them, making them useless.

"There. It should hold for a couple of minutes at least, more than enough to deal with those things." Grave let out a breath he was holding in unconsciously. "And maybe I should go in front, oh fearless leader? I can actually tank those things..." He muttered, moving closer to Sin and preparing to run.

S u r i

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Suri heard Sin and nodded, moving closer to Sin and lowering his rifle to be held at his hip. He narrowed his eyes and stared forward, already in position to begin a run on the order.

"I'm ready when you are..."

Pale

Reputation score

Rapture is almost completely silent on the way in. A whispered word here, a handwave there to get people into the right sort of place.. but no orders, not yet. As Host suggests his plan, though, she turns towards him, shaking her head.. and takes her place beside him. Quietly, without engaging the radio, she murmurs..

"Not a chance in Hell, reptile. We're going in together."
Now transmitting on her radio, though, Rapture murmurs quick orders to the entire squad.

"I'm figuring.. soon as we hit those lights, any and all squads are going to re-direct this way, just to check 'em. So Sin, take yours left, stack up on the lefthand corner.. and be ready for bots coming round it. Fast, and hard. Host, Shrike, we've got the right. Shade, you're on overwatch and rearguard, but keep shots to a minimum. That applies to everyone, I want this -quiet-. Should be sixteen bots total, count your kills. On you, Grave."

A pause to let the darkness mage do his thing.. and the floodlights go dark.

"Go!"

And unsurprisingly, Rapture's first. As she passes through the invisible shield, the device mounted to her belt sparks... but she doesn't burst into flame, sprinting across the open space towards the cover of the wall.

((Sorry this took a while, I was travelling :(. All home now!))

Last edited:

shadearion

Truffles and/or Peaches
Reputation score

Shade takes his place at the rearguard, pulling his revolver out and taking the sword he carries in his left hand, alert and silent as he gathers his energies, taking precautions to avoid being seen. His cloak takes on a more mottled look, making him slightly harder to see, as he prepares to follow the others. His ears twitch, listening for sounds of bots, keeping his eyes on Rapture as she heads in, looking for any threats.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Shrike nodded when Rapture set the stage, settling into a sprinter's starting position and waiting for the signal. When it happened, She was just two or three steps behind their leader, her longer legs keeping pace despite the difficulty she had in seeing obstacles on the ground with the floodlights gone. in preparation of any fire that may come their way, she stretched her arms out and called her weapons, as a faint blue light engulfed her hands and stretched outwards to form a pair of nigh-invisible blades, which she began twirling in order to deflect any shots aimed at her as she ran.