No announcement yet.

Echoes of the Forgotten Lesson (Vezina)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Echoes of the Forgotten Lesson (Vezina)

The chamberlain's scholarly mien remained upon his skeletal face as he continued to descend the stairs. Once he had joined Vezina on the ground floor he lead the way towards the dungeons with a flourish to allow the younger vampire to go first. "Lysandra is down in her chambers I believe, probably filling my servants with holes. I also presume you will wish to examine the creature once you have explained your reason for visiting us."

True to his word the pair found Lysandra in the armory of the mansion, practicing upon one of her master's dead servants with a bow. Her last shot thunking into the center of the creature's forehead before she set the bow to the ground and joined them. Lysandra seemed to listen intently as she seemed a far more passionate creature than her master. Her lips curled in disgust at the mention of the usurpers as she of course had first hand knowledge of the abilities like Vezina. The chamberlain's face showed neither worry nor alarm at Vezina's revelations, not surprising considering his role as a scholar and counselor of the prince. Finally he spoke again a small smile spread across his deathly visage. "I don't doubt that you are telling the truth my lady Vezina. Yet I fear you may be mistaken, you see Bishop Tirel is one of my creatures. Though perhaps he could be entertaining these Tremere, he has a few dark hobbies that I help him with on occasion. These Tremere are mages as I recall from the diary."

Comment

Vezina waited until she and Sir Rodger had joined Lysandra in her martial practice before explaining the reason for her arrival. The Cappadocian's answer drew a raised brow, but she factored that bit of information into her own approach. Sir Rodger was Mithras' chamberlain, and therefore his spokesperson while the Lord was asleep. He was a man of considerable power, and she could only hope that the presence of the Tremere in the surrounds of London would eventually give him cause for concern. If Rodger was tempted by the notion of learning from these mages, it would harm Vezina's desire for revenge.

"If he is one of your creatures, chamberlain, then it is important that you are aware he seems all too eager to please these Tremere in their quest to infiltrate our Court. Already, their hold on him may challenge yours. Without Lord Mithras' word to rule on them, the Usurpers exist on the outside of our political system - they are an Other, and they have sent creatures like our prisoner to attack members of our court, without provocation. Like you, I would not begrudge a mortal of capability his little dalliances with the occult - but not at the expense of Cainite interests. Whatever small glimpse of arcane secrets these Tremere allow him will be as nothing to the damage they shall surely try to reap. Mark my words, they are a danger. Or ask your bodyguard. Lysandra stood with me and Aethulwulf against one of their number, and I believe him have been one of their younger mages. This Abetorious, whose journal we found, was with Tiriel tonight, along with a woman, Meerlinda. That one had the air of authority in her tone. She may have potent blood indeed... stolen blood, as if I needed to remind you. We cannot allow the Tremere to skulk about in the shadows. We must drag them into the light and make them answer for their actions."

Vezina raised her chin, hoping that her words might convince Sir Rodger to say something more about the matter.

Eventually, his predication about her wanting to talk to the gargoyle would be vindicated, as she desired to get a few words in with the creature before needing to retreat to the safety of a haven for the day. Even now, she was conscious that the dawn would approach soon and it was unwise to chance the sun.

Comment

Rodger's corpse-like face betrayed as little emotion as one of his dead servants might, though his voice did suggest some contrition as he nodded. "Of course, my lady Vezina, you are quite right in your appraisal of the situation. I simply cannot help but wonder what secrets we might learn from these usurpers, as they have stolen from us perhaps we should steal from them."

A furious scowl erupted on the gorgon's face though her anger remained under constraint. "Secrets should be sought out and learned not stolen. It is not right for us to steal secrets anymore than it is right to destroy a source of secrets. Grrrarrragh." Lysandra spun around drawing her seax and throwing it towards the creature she had been using for target practice. The slightly curved blade sinking deeply into it's flesh as it struck. The Lamia moved away from the conversation to retrieve her weapon leaving Vezina and Rodger to continue their conversation alone.

Rodger shook his head like a parent might do to a child throwing a tantrum though he said nothing until his gaze returned to Vezina. The ancient looking necromancer seemed unworried by the near frenzy as he said. "I will try to arrange another meeting of the court, though I doubt if it will be possible before next week. In the meanwhile I urge you to find any information that might sway the court's opinion regarding the Tremere. When Lysandra has calmed I will have her ensure the captive and my haven is secure from intrusion should the usurpers be so bold."

Comment

Vezina held her tongue as Lysandra lost her temper at the mention of stealing secrets. It was a reaction that the Tzimisce had not expected from the warrior woman, who had seemed so at ease even in times of battle.

"The Usurpers will not give up any secrets of value willingly - I daresay they will ask for far more than it is worth. Their strange sorcery is all that protects them from our vengeance, and our lack of understanding is the key to that advantage. However, that is not to say that it is a power greater than any other discipline of the blood. We can deny their plans if we react in time and uncover the traitors in our midst."

She looked to the window and frowned.

"The dawn comes all too quickly, I fear. It was imperative that I inform you of the Tremere designs on Tiriel. I wish to question the prisoner on the morrow night, to see if I might convince it to share its knowledge with me. There is something that it knows, and we must have it before the creature is silenced."

She curtsied to Sir Rodger.

"I shall return to my haven and call upon your household tomorrow night, if you would welcome me. I should wish to discuss the options that our court has in using Tiriel and the creature to locate these Tremere dangers."

Comment

Rodger nodded sagely at Vezina's remarks regarding the Tremere menace as he added. "You are always welcome, my lady Vezina. I assure you that Lysandra will ensure that the creature remains safe until tomorrow evening. I will think on how we might use the tools at our disposal as well. I will also keep the news of traitors in our court a secret until the correct time to weed out such problems. Until tomorrow evening, milady."

The Cappadocian added a small bow in response to Vezina's curtsy before following her back upstairs to the door. Vezina hurried to her horse and mounted to begin the journey back to the city. Her precious dirt had been secured in her saddlebags and she now had to decide if she should chance the longer trip back to Berenice and Eric or if it would be safer to use inn for the evening.

Comment

Vezina considered the time and the state of her horse. The animal had already been ridden hard that night, and Berenice had been notified that Vezina might not make it back that evening.

Gyulu had trained her to act with caution in such cases. She was immortal only for so long as the hateful rays of the sun did not shine upon her. Chancing the dawn was to unnecessarily court the Second Death. It was a foolish gamble to make casually.

She returned to the inn within the city and settled into a room, hopefully before dawn broke. When the next evening arose, she would ride back to Berenice first to update the girl on the situation and check in with her prisoner, the young man named Eric, who she might ask further questions of. Perhaps Eric would have seen this Abetorius or Meerlinda.

Then she would deal with the gargoyle, and delve further into the Usurper treachery.

Comment

Vezina arrived at the inn with time to spare though she was beginning to feel the urge to rest. Securing her horse with orders to see that it was well-taken care of after riding it so hard during the night. She was safe and secure from the sun in the same room that she had previously stayed in and by the time she had carefully spread her dirt upon the bed she had little time to think over her plans.

She awoke to the next night with renewed energy. Even knowing the forces that were arrayed against he she was filled with cautious confidence as she began the journey south to Lambeth Moor and Berenice. Arriving early in the evening at the once rich mansion of her prospective domain in London. The door was answered by the elderly maid who quickly bowed at the sight of Vezina and led he inside to the dining room where Berenice was eating.

The young woman looked up at Vezina's entrance an eager smile forming on her face at the sight of her would be savior and master.

Comment

Vezina swept into the dining hall with as much an air of dignity and dominance as she she possessed, already treating the manner at Lambeth Moor as her own domain and thinking of ways in which she would adjust this hall to be more in keeping with her own preferences. She knew little of what mansions were meant to look like beyond the auster, stone castle that had been her sire's haven during her mortal years - and the first point at which she had entered under his tutelage in the most noble art of pain and its endurance.

She would honor Gyulu by making of her domain an homage to the dwelling of her ancient homeland. The cellar would need to be expanded and a portion of the adjacent land excavated to create a deeper foundation. She would need spacious chambers dug out beneath the earth, and she would prefer to bring some of the limestone from the cave of her Embrace to rest here as well.

These thoughts and future plans pleased her and made her feel more at ease. She had a direction and a cause to fight for. What more could one blessed with immortality hope for? She would grow in power and might and make the Tremere bleed for their crime of existence. Perhaps they need not all be exterminated... she would enjoy breaking one of them, certainly. That was getting ahead of herself though. First she would need to gather more evidence and investigate Tiriel. She must make of herself an ally to the Cappadocian, and turn him against the Tremere if possible.

Her eyes fell on Berenice and she put on a smile for the little ghoul.

"Good evening, my dear Berenice. It is pleasant to see you in rousing spirits. I have been busy tracking down the whereabouts of your lord father. He has made a most terrible enemy by somehow incurring the spite of the Archbishop of Westminster. I have learned, however, that the archbishop is merely a puppet to a greater evil - one that will take time and the aid of powerful allies to counter. Berenice..."

Vezina cupped the young woman's chin in her cold, pale palm; she gazed apologetically at the soft pools of blue that looked up at her with adoration and apprehension.

"You must armor yourself against those who mean to bring disaster to your household. If any harm has come to your lord father, I shall take all measures to see that vengeance and justice come to them. Your own vengeance must be in not succumbing to their designs. Life is suffering, but this suffering is a gift for those who can endure, for it shall teach you how to be more than what you are now. Trust in me to do what is best in your interests, and be willing to open yourself up to the scars of this conflict of the night. Bear the cuts proudly. Let them be your declaration of defiance against all who would array themselves against us."

Vezina lowered her head and kissed the ghoul upon her soft, rosy lips.

"There's a good lady. Now. How is our guest, Eric? Has he been fed? He will need means of recovering strength. I have more questions for him."

Vezina would wish to be led by Berenice to see the prisoner. She hoped that this Eric would be able to tell her more if she dropped details of Abetorious and Meerlinda... and midnight meetings at the cathedral.

Comment

Berenice's soft eyes lit up as her saviour told her of what she had learned. The young ghoul eagerly listening as she was promised justice for any misdeeds that might need repaying. There was still perhaps a hint of fear in her eyes at the mention of suffering and yet she seemed so eager to please that Vezina knew she had little to worry about. One day she would make an excellent servant to her mistress, just as her lands would make an excellent domain.

She blushed just the tiniest bit as Vezina softly kissed her lips and a enthusiastic smile spread across her face as she pushed her chair back from the table to lead Vezina to their captive. "I personally saw to it that everything was taken care of exactly as you ordered, mistress Vezina. Of course he tried to act as though he was not hungry but he still ate a bit, hopefully it was enough."

They soon arrived at the room Eric had made to satisfy his fetish for pain, which now served as a prison. Berenice unlocked the door and quietly led Vezina into the room lit by a single torch along a back wall, which left Eric standing in the shadows. He was still chained exactly as she had left him, a frightened broken man compared to what he had been originally. Still there was emotion in his eyes as he looked up, a mix of fear and lust lingering in his forlorn eyes.

Comment

Vezina appreciated the respect with which the young Berenice had spoken to her - the power of the blood and the poignant lessons of her knife had had the desired effect upon the young woman. She would learn to serve Vezina as Vezina had learned in turn to serve Gyulu, just as Eric might learn as well, each discovering their own path through the lessons of suffering.

Tonight, however, Vezina required answers. She swept into the bloody chamber where Eric awaited her tutelage and regarded him silently as Berenice walked behind and closed the door and slammed the bolt home. The sound of metal locking against cold stone produced in Eric a shudder, which told Vezina that the man was learning.

"Your cousin, Tiriel, has made alliances with many terrible people. A hazard of his position no doubt, but unfortunately for you, his designs run counter to mine. He is betraying a powerful group of nobles, which I, in my own capacity, am representing. I want to know what you know, dear Eric, about the man and woman who have been meeting with him in the cathedral at night. You can save yourself some pain by telling me everything. Fail to tell me... and we'll have to start where we last left off."

To illustrate her intentions, Vezina drew her knife from its sheath, slowly and deliberately, letting the blade slide along the hardened leather.

Comment

Eric began to shake at the sight of Vezina's knife being slowly drawn from it's scabbard, his eyes closed as though that might block out the image as he whimpered. Finally they opened and his voice grumbled as he tried to speak, his voice was so dry that it took him several minutes before he eventually got out what he wanted to say. "Walter gets a lot of visitors...especially at night...he knows all kinds of stuff about the occult...magic, nigramancy...I've never been present for any of it...please...I-I don't know anym-more...Just stay back....please."

Eric certainly seemed to be telling the truth, though it was possible he knew details without knowing of their importance. He would certainly require more training as she was not interested in a broken servant with no will to stand up to anyone. He had broken down far more quickly than she had expected though he was certainly not a lost cause just yet.

Comment

"If you've never been present for any of it, then how do you know of it?" Vezina asked calmly, not putting the knife away but not advancing it either.

"And stop your sniveling. You degrade yourself by fearing the pain. Much of the pain lives within the fear. Pain will still come to you, whether you fear it or not, but man and woman can master fear and meet pain on their own ground, ready to study it, to understand it, free of emotion. Now THINK, Eric. Tell me how you know of Walter's lore in the occult. Tell me what you have seen. Make no assumptions. Stay in the realm of known truth."

She raised the pale hand not carrying a dagger to cup his cheek, despising and yet seeing some hope yet for this man, if he could just drag himself out of his self-pity long enough to learn from his suffering - he would be a better man for it.

Comment

"I-I suppose I have been present when he has conducted rituals from his black book, but I did not understand them. My cousin can be very close-lipped when it suits him and he would not explain how he came by the tome. He communicated with an ancestor of ours recently dead, my cousin wished to have more power over the king and his family." Eric's voice started softly, weak almost pitiful but slowly he seemed to be finding the fortitude deep within himself to shut out the fear.

It would take more goading to truly draw the sniveling boy from his fear and though he did not truly present her with any useful knowledge she believed what he had said. She had already learned that the bishop had knowledge from the Cappadocians, if Eric knew anything of the usurpers however she doubted he would know enough to even recognize it.

Comment

Vezina let a low, inhuman hiss exit her desiccated lungs as she considered the sniveling man's words.

"His black book, you say? His tome of secrets, bartered for with his soul, bound by blood, and now it may well fall into the hands of the Usurpers. The fool of the mortal is playing both sides."

Both sides? Or one? Vezina could not shake the thought that perhaps the machinations of the Lord Mitra and his Vizier might side with the warlocks in exchange for secrets. Certainly their thaumaturgy was potent - and had not the villain she had drained in the woods summoned ghosts to his cause?

"Where does he keep the book? Think. You have seen him with his rituals. You have observed his routines. You know in whom he places his trust... the aides who guard him. Tell me how to claim his book."

Comment

"My cousin has a number of hiding holes where he conducts his studies but the most likely would be his observatory. Deep in the forest behind the cathedral away from the prying eyes of meddlesome peasants and priests. It's the only place he might be found if he's not in the cathedral meeting with someone." Eric answered quickly and his tone suggested he told the truth, not only the truth but he was beginning to show a bit more back bone as he stared back into Vezina's pale face.

"He trusts no one beyond family like myself and even then he only trusts us enough to tell us what needs to be known. Of course if you had something he would find interesting his paranoia might dissipate enough that he might tell you himself. Either way I doubt you'll find it, he's far to smart for you and he has power comparable to King Henry himself. He's well out of your league harlot!." Eric spat as the insult cut through the air, almost immediately raising the ire of Vezina's beast. Suddenly she found herself struggling to control her body as the beast roiled within for the mortal's blood.

Comment

Working...
                                X