What's new

Echoes of the Forgotten Lesson (Vezina)

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Echoes of the Forgotten Lesson (Vezina)

The familiar sight of utter terror slowly worked it's way over Eric's face as the first and then the second painful slices were etched across his arms. Though Eric was not a novice when it came to pain it was obvious that he was not used to such ministrations upon his own body.

A low groan filled the small chamber as Berenice joined in making a similar slice on his other arm. Eric's eyes flashed with fear and hate all at the same time as he shook impotently at the strong chains binding him to the wall. He shouted at Berenice to stop. Her lip quivered as she looked back into his eyes but she did not stop the slice. She would not be cowed by the cowardly would be usurper of her lands again and Vezina would see to that.

Silence reigned in the room as Vezina suddenly spoke, neither Eric nor Berenice wishing to challenge the one in control. They were like slaves before her power and Vezina felt a twinge of pride at how she was in control. Eric hesitated in his answering for a moment before stuttering out an empty threat.

"Y-you can't do this. M-my cousin is far more powerful than you realize. B-but if you let me go right now. I promise not to say a thing to anyone. I'll leave Berenice alone so that you can do as you wish with her. Just let me go."

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"See how the powerless man progresses quickly from emotion to emotion, sweet Berenice. First m'lord denieth what is plainly evident, for I can and am doing this to him. He threatens me with connections that will never know me. He makes deals, seeks leverage, makes, like so many men, empty promises. And at the last, he fails to understand my motives."

She caresses the bleeding arm, watching it twitch under her knife point, then kissing it with a soft sigh.

"I am here for the both of you. Berenice, to help her out of her unfortunate predicament, and you, Erik, to test you. You are crude, without subtlety, and your appreciation is not for pain itself but for the pain of others. You have no true knowledge of it and therefore could never master it. You are distracted by petty moves for false power. I am going to alleviate you of these temptations. Trap you in a box of your own making. Part of you will die in here, m'lord. Mark my words. It will happen slowly."

She turned to Berenice.

"Stay Berenice, and watch. Do not flinch or look away. If you are to be a woman strong enough to keep these lands, you must temper your emotions in a gruesome and bloody forge."

Vezina then took the hook of her knife and dug it under the cut skin as she began to flay. She would be true to her promise. Erik would suffer slowly, with enough stalling from time to time so that he would remain conscious.

Hours later Erik's body would have succumbed to exhaustion and his senses shut down. Patches of his own flayed flesh would be on the floor in front of him to observe, while his red raw tissues enflamed across his ruined form.

"Now comes the tending to his wounds," Vezina would tell a disturbed but hopefully still present Berenice. "He must be given time to recover. Have water and food brought to your quarters, then feed him yourself. He must come to depend upon his tormentors. As of now, we are devils to torment him, but by the end, he will see us as his angels. Especially you, dear Berenice. Oh how he will apologize and beg your forgiveness."

She placed a cold hand on Berenice's shoulder. "Remember what he would have done. Show him no kindness until I say otherwise. He will rise hot and cold, worshiping you with one breath and hating you in the next. It takes time and patience for the lessons of pain - but rest assured, by the time we are through with him, he shall be a different man."

After Berenice would have time to reply and to comment about the bizarre nature of Vezina's horrid knowledge if she so desired, the Tzimisce would explain the basics of dressing the wounds. Erik would be gagged for the time being, so as to not make much in the way of noise. She would then also have Berenice find a room in the estate that would be suitable for Vezina to not be disturbed during the day.

A quick aura reading would be conducted on Berenice to see if her head was still in the right frame of mind, and if she deemed it necessary, Vezina might use her lordly gift of Dominate to forcibly calm the young woman. She needed to be certain that the girl would not fall to pieces and let Erik go. Already she had taken an important step in playing part in the man's torture, but the mortal mind was a touchy thing.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Berenice had stayed throughout the ordeal, gawking and watching with an frightened fascination as her tormenter was himself tormented. She could not move from the spot she stood in nor could she turn away from the horrific sight. Just as peasant and king alike were enthralled by a public execution at a crossroads so was she.

Erik for his part screamed then begged then sobbed as Vezina began to teach him the true meaning of pain. It was a shame that she was merely a novice, her master would have already broken the sad mortal by now. Eventually he succumbed to the pain and fear and fainted where he stood, his tear-stained face drooping against his bare chest.

Berenice stood silently and fearfully looked into Vezina's eyes as she was given orders about what to do next. Her aura was overwhelmed with fear as Vezina spoke, a tinge of guilt and fascination rounded out the young noblewoman's emotions.

Berenice nodded as the last of the orders were given but hesitated for a moment before she looked at Erik once more. She then nodded and looked as though she wished to ask something more before curtsying and moving towards the door.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Do not leave your question unasked, Berenice." Vezina halted the pale girl as she made to leave. Too much fear could make the girl unpredictable, and she wanted to nurture that seed of fascination in the girl, to make her stay as a willing participant in the Tzimisce's scheme.

"I remember what it was to be standing where you are now. Fearful of being witness to absolute power, fascinated by the prospect of wielding it and doubting if I should. Above all, the fear is your enemy. You must transcend it, whether you wield the dagger or feel its touch. I can help you conquer the fears that plague you, Berenice. You need merely ask it of me."

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Berenice stopped as Vezina bade her to ask the questions that brimmed in her fascinated mind. Her expression wavered between fear and doubt before she finally spoke. Her voice was so filled with awe at the unusual woman before her that Vezina felt a small swell of pride in her undead heart.

"What are you? In some ways you seem so much like an angel and in others a devil, but I've never believed in these things. Yet it's not possible that you are a mere noblewoman as I myself am."

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Ah."

Vezina took a strip of cloth from Erik's ruined shirt and rubbed away the blood from her dagger. She didn't think it would do to drink of it in front of the girl.

"In my homeland, the pagan faith is still strong. The legends of my people entwine with the Christian creed in ways that might make more gentle folk balk. You see, to me, an angel and a devil are one and the same. What they are is a salvation. And salvation, no matter how visceral, is still no small thing to deny."

She slid her dagger through her belt and approached Berenice with cool, slow hands that rested on the fair girl's bared shoulders.

"If angel I be, I promise you no Heaven. If devil I be, I claim not your soul. My blood is noble, but not by my father nor my mother. I aid you because it pleases me, but it is not a kindness. If you walk with me in dark places, I can show you a wilderness untouched inside of you. It rests in your heart, hidden, unheard over the din of your beating life's blood. What am I, Berenice?"

Vezina put her palm over the young woman's racing heart. Her voice was almost a whisper, her eyes penetrating, her senses taking in the shortness of the girl's breath, the warmth of her skin, the wonder and the fear and call of her blood.

"I am your guide through the terrible night. Trust in me. Believe in me. Follow me, and I shall make your fears tremble at the thought of you."

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Berenice nodded solemnly after she had listened to Vezina's explanation. It may not have made any sense but the explanation seemed to calm the noblewoman somewhat. She was still frightened as any sensible mortal should be but there was a hidden lust for knowledge and power that Vezina could use to her advantage.

"And what of my father? Do you think...or believe that he is still alive?" Berenice had grown bolder and her sudden question caught Vezina off guard a bit. She had forgotten about the old man in her desire to teach Eric and Berenice a lesson.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Ooh boy, I wasn't even aware that the question of the father being alive had been brought up. My bad I guess.

"Your father... I do not know yet. But I shall. Erik will tell us what we want to know tomorrow night. I will make certain of it."

The Tsimisce put both hands on the girl's shoulders and made sure to keep her gaze. "For now, we must find a place for me to rest. Somewhere hidden, somewhere out of the way. Erik must be held here and his whereabouts should remain unknown to all who inquire of him. It is absolutely imperative for the both of us that you do not reveal anything, do you understand?"

When Berenice nodded, Vezina smiled grimly and decided to take things a step further.

"I know that my answer to your earlier question was vague. You suspect that I am something more, and I will not say that your instincts are wrong. But some of my secrets, once you know them, you will not be able to escape from them. If you accept that I am only a capable soul who can help you, then it will remain at that. If you demand to know more, you will need to pledge yourself to me. I would require loyalty, absolute and unbroken, to which treachery would be... most unpleasant. Do you see, young one?"

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I don't think it was really brought up until just now. But i am kind of out of it lately.

Berenice nodded with a slight shiver as Vezina's cold hands touched her shoulders. She paled a bit at the mention of unpleasant things should she inquire too much about her would be savior. She nodded once more as she hurried from the room to prepare a safe resting place for Vezina.

Erik remained limp and unconscious in his chains, they would easily hold the weakened mortal until the next evening. It wasn't long before Berenice returned and lead Vezina to her new resting place for the day. It was an inner room of the ancient mansion and though not as well furnished as some of the other rooms it did have a fine lock on the door.

Berenice waited by the door quietly while Vezina looked over the room. She waited patiently for any further instructions her new mistress might have.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Vezina was satisfied with the condition she had left Erik in, and was pleased with the abode Berenice had found for her. One thing remained, and that was to ensure that there was some bond of loyalty beyond mere fear in the noblewoman. Unlike her own master, Vezina did not have an established domain from which to call on a base of servants to enforce her rule.

"Fetch a glass and a wine, Berenice. Something red, with a flavor that you appreciate.

When Berenice had returned with the drink and glass as instructed, Vezina instructed the girl to wait outside for a moment. The Tzimisce then poured the wine to half full, before piercing her own wrist with her dagger and letting her vitae slosh into the glass as well. She stirred the concoction with her finger. No doubt that the taste would strike Berenice as odd, but she thought that the girl had shown strong enough willpower tonight that she would not balk at it.

Vezina licked clean the slash on her wrist and then bid Berenice to re-enter, holding the glass before her.

"A sign of good faith, and a mark of a covenant between you and I." Drink fully of this glass. It will fortify you. Strengthen you. Set your mind to task. You shall suffer no ill from it I assure you. I would not have come so far with you tonight if it was my intent to lead you astray now. Drink, and know that tomorrow night, our search for your father and for the defense of your household starts anew."

If the girl drank of her vitae, Vezina would be satisfied. The girl might well guess at what was in the glass, but would that knowledge shock her more than the knifework she had shared with the foreigner earlier on? Vezina doubted it.

A ghoul'd noblewoman might be an expensive and tiring effort, but the draw of the blood would ensure loyalty, and was thus necessary. The art of conditioning by dominate was still beyond the young kindred's abilities.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Berenice took the glass hesitantly before taking a deep swig of the heady mixture. A look of surprise crossed her face as the vitae entered her system, the taste no doubt. She said nothing however as she finished the glass, perhaps too fearful to ask what made it taste so odd.

She seemed happy at the thought of Vezina aiding in finding her father and readily agreed to any further orders. Already the blood bond had taken it's hold on the noblewoman. Which was good for soon the sun would rise and Vezina would be at her most vulnerable. All that remained was to ensure that her final preparations for rest were made.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"I am not to be disturbed until sunset. No one is to know of my presence. I must have heavy blankets, and the door must be kept locked from within. The key, please."

Vezina held her hand out for the key.

"I will be in a very deep sleep. I will depend on you to keep me safe. No one should enter my presence while I sleep, for I could come to harm, and I must under no circumstance be moved during the daytime. Are my conditions clear, Berenice?"

If the young girl nodded, then Vezina would return the gesture and smile.

"Then we are at an accord. Until the morrow night, Berenice."

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"I promise it will be done as you ask." Berenice said as she handed the key over and left to procure the last of the items needed. Having returned with the blankets she closed the door and left Vezina to prepare her own bed for the day.

Some of the orders may have seemed odd to the noblewoman but she said nothing. Of course after an evening spent in torturing Eric perhaps she found little odd about anything. With the door locked Vezina had just enough time to spread her precious soil on the bed as she felt the now familiar feeling of tiredness overtaking her undead frame. Tomorrow night would be quite interesting for the three of them she was sure.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Unless any other concern presented itself, Vezina would carefully lay out her soil upon the sheets, making certain that none of it would spill out onto the ground. She would want to be able to collect it easily enough for the next evening, as she was still unsure if this would end up being a safe haven.

She lay herself down and felt the oncoming dawn bring about the dreamless slumber. Her thoughts drifted to Gyulu, and then to the acts of pain she had both endured and meted out.

The Via Miseria.

A code that defined her master, and one to which she currently aspired. A replacement for her sundered humanity. The pain could teach much, but for her, there was a greater connection, borne out of a madness onset through pain. The earth - oh the sacred earth where her mortal blood had welled and pooled. Where her weak frame had been scoured raw. Where her mind had been pushed past its breaking point. Oh that sweet bowl of soil which held her in her misery. Her body undulated with a brief, but rich happiness as her dress loosened and her scarred back touched - connected - with that familiar dirt.

It was as though her suffering had called out to the very land itself, and her transformation, her metamorphosis into this new state of being, had given her a voice with which to continue that conversation, if she so desired it.

She knew that Gyulu would want her to follow in his footsteps. To understand the Way of Pain as he did. She believed that one day she would follow him to that understanding, but she could not ignore the calling of the land, first and foremost.

This situation with Erik and Berenice would allow her a window into mortal politics, a potentially safe haven, and a base from which to operate within the city, but she would require more. Oh so much more. The list of necessities seemed endless to her at that moment. So much to do, and an eternity to do it in, if she were careful. But she was young yet, for a kindred. Impatient and eager to unlock the powers of her blood. The diablerie of the usurper had only added to that desire within her. Her thickened blood, closer to that of the First, pulsed with increased potential.

Dawn came then, and with it the sleep of death.

The morrow dusk arrived, and once more she opened her pale eyes. She looked around. Was there sign of Berenice? Had anything been moved?

She stood up and if nothing was pressing, she would carefully, methodically collect the soil and scoop it back into her carrying bags, which she secured to the inside of her dress, in the hidden pockets built specifically for that purpose.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Vezina awoke and looked about the room, she could see no signs of having been disturbed during the day. Hopefully nothing else had gone wrong during the time she had lain in her soil. Having dressed she carefully began to retrieve the precious soil. To her it was more than simply precious it was her unlife's blood.

She had almost finished retrieving the dirt when she heard the soft tread of Berenice in the hall. The girl was moving quietly but not so quietly that she could escape the hearing of one such as Vezina. A slight turning of the knob as though to test the lock and the sound of metal scraping on metal from the key being inserted.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

If she felt that she had time to move the rest of her dirt into the pouches and hide them before Berenice entered the room, Vezina would do so. Otherwise, she would gently fold the sheet over to obscure the dirt without sending it to the floor and then hide the pouches behind her before turning to await the noblewoman.

When the door opened, Berenice would find Vezina dressed and facing her unblinkingly, an amused quirk hung upon her lips and an eerie air of prescience about her.

"Good evening, Berenice. I trust your day was not too troublesome?"

If the girl had any concerns to voice after small pleasantries were out of the way, Vezina would ask for Berenice to await her in the dining hall, where they would discuss matters further. This would give Vezina enough time to scoop up and secure the rest of her sacred soil and place it within the hidden, inner pockets of her dress before making her way to join Berenice in more a more comfortable setting.

When they were seated next to one another, Vezina would ask first how the girl felt, as she had no previous knowledge of the ghouling process. Her own taste of Gyulu's blood had been on the night of her Embrace - a virgin Embrace, by some standards, whereas to Embrace a ghoul like Scorylo or Tarbus was more like making an honest kindred out of them.

She did not regret her choice to give some of her blood to Berenice. If anything it was an experiment for her own sake as much as it was to empower the mortal while ingratiating her unto Vezina's will.

After Berenice spoke of her current wellbeing, Vezina would wish to discuss matters of mortal politics with the girl. Her family history as well as that of Erik and his cousin, the bishop. Such pedigrees mattered, both to mortals and to certain clans of kindred who might take an interest in Vezina's proverbial splash into the pond, as it were. The more knowledge the Tzimisce had, the more equipped she was to navigate the shoals and straits of these hitherto unknown waters.

At the last, they would come to Erik himself. What indeed was to be done with the man? Information first, obviously. The fate of Berenice's father was to be discovered. Beyond that, Vezina was hoping to endear Erik to her through a healthy manipulation of his fear and pain, but it would be long work indeed, unless her powers of dominate grew rapidly. It was a possibility, certainly, to delve down that path as many Ventrue chose. But Vezina believed that were other, older, more primordial ways to bend Erik to her service, and she intended to discover them.

In her own mind, Vezina knew that she had fed off of Berenice and Erik recently and it would be dangerous to feed off of them again so soon. She would have to leave the grounds to hunt tonight, and there was still the matter of unearthing other usurpers in the London area. She might need to check with the Warmaster and the Sheriff to see if last night had led to any further developments.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Berenice peeked around the door just as Vezina had covered the dirt with the bed sheets. She seemed quite happy that Vezina was fine and nodded in greeting before saying it had gone well and that night had fallen. She readily agreed to wait in the dining room while she finished dressing and closed the door softly with a parting glance.

Soon Vezina was making her way to join her new ghoul in the dining room her precious dirt secured in the pockets of her dress. Berenice waited patiently at the table where a simple feast lay waiting. She seemed fine by all appearances other than the longing looks she would occasionally give her new master and the girl said the same before delving into her families history.

Her families nobility in the region extended back to the Norman conquest of the Saxons. Their progenitor being one of William the Conqueror's most loyal knights. They had fallen on hard times as of late since they had provided troops to William's eldest son, Robert of Normandy in the crusade. Including her eldest brother who would never return from the holy land.

She knew less about Erik's family or the Walter the Bishop of Westminster, who was their patron. Other than that were relatives of Walter Tirel III, the nobleman who had "accidentally" shot and killed the former king William II.

In regards to what was to be done with Erik, Berenice seemed inclined to see him punished more or perhaps even killed. Though she seemed more than willing to follow Vezina's lead on such matters.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The vampire finished securing her earth in a perfunctory manner and having secured it on her body, left her new abode to join her ghoul in the dining room. She raised an eyebrow at the small feast laid out for her and the memory of the various difficulties in downing and preparing all this game led her to lament its waste.

Vezina sat and invited Berenice to do the same. The girl could eat all she wanted but now the Tzimisce made no pretense toward her appetite, making no motion towards the food or drink. She would not serve herself nor would she allow a servant to place food on her plate. If this caused a note of worry for any of the mortals involved, she would simply say that she was not eating right now and that the food could be divided up among the servants once the Lady Berenice was fed.

For her own part, Vezina chose to feast on information, and to this end she sat back upon her chair and listened to everything that Berenice had to tell her about the family history and that of this hall where they resided. When matters returned as they inevitably should to their present situation and the situation with Erik, Vezina joined the conversation.

"Until we can learn more about his position he is more useful to us alive rather than dead. I know that you might fear his wroth were he to somehow escape us, but you needn't bother about that. There are techniques that can be used to circumvent his will. He may in time come to do our bidding, and if that is so then we can potentially gain the ear of this Archbishop. We can also use his presence as your suitor and potential husband to stave off interference from outside forces.

"In the meanwhile," Vezina leaned forward, "We must question him to ascertain facts about your father, as I would like to reunite you with him quickly. To that end, I shall take a visit to our young lordling now. I bid you stay and finish your meal. I will not need your presence when I ask Erik. Then I shall return to you and we can discuss the matter further with what I've found out."

Vezina rose and stepped over to Berenice, brushing the back of her hand against the ghoul's cheek to play into the affection that the mortal longed for. The pull of the blood was indeed strong, she mused, acknowledging her own blood bond to her sire, Gyulu.

She left the dining hall with a small plate of food in her hand, taking the keys with her to the room where Erik lay chained to the wall. She closed the door beside her and placed the food out of reach for now as she settled her pitiless gaze upon the young man.

"I would like to know what has been done with Berenice's father. The complete truth will be the only answer that suffices."

She waited to hear his reaction.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Berenice nodded as Vezina rose from the table to find out about her father, the brief contact with her domitor sending a rush of exultation through eyes. Her glance lingered on Vezina for as long as she remained before returning to her food as her savior left the room.

The clinking of the plate on the dull stone floor of the dungeon roused the prisoner from his stupor. He looked weak and tired as he hung limply in the chains, the lust was gone from his eyes replaced with utter fear as he stared at her. A brief glance at the plate of food and a small groan of anguish escaped his lips as he listened to the question.

He nodded slowly, licking his dry lips before his voice came out raspy and coarse from the screaming. He spoke quickly as his eyes remained on the plate of food saying that the girl's father was being held captive by the archbishop. O-or at least he was, h-he might be dead by now. We didn't really need him alive after all."

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"No, I suppose you didn't need him alive, did you?" Vezina picked up a scrap of food - mutton she thought - and kept the strip of meat in her palm as she offered it to the man.

"Eat," she commanded, letting the man eat out of her hand, though with his hands chained, he would have to do so with only his mouth. If he refused to eat, she would remind him that if he was to have any hope of surviving this trial he would need food, and she was not going to let him use his hands anytime soon.

If he went the opposite way and bit at her, she'd place the food back on the plate and unsheathe her skinning knife before undertaking a lesson on not biting the hand that feeds you.

She surmised however, that after yesterday's encounter, and the fact that he had not eaten today at all, he would be starving and not in a position to let wounded pride make him do something stupid.

"So you're just a pawn in this game, I suppose," Vezina spoke aloud as she moved back to the plate, her palm sticky with oil, fat and Erik's saliva. "You claim these estates, and your cousin the archbishop's powerbase expands. Though it seems rather hamfisted, if you ask me. Weren't you afraid of the old lord's allies? Or what would happen if your scheme was brought to light? Truly, this scandal could work its way back to the Archbishop himself. Why should he have risked so much for your sake, Erik? Kidnap and murder most foul of a noble - just so that you could claim some small parcel of land. What was the true goal here?"

If her dagger was not already out, it would be now, and yet she also plucked another morsel of meat in her hand and moved back to stand in front of Erik, making sure that he saw the dagger and food before him in either hand. She had little doubt that the meaning would be clear. As he answered, she used her auspex to gauge any aura of deceit or cleverness.