What's new

Furain an taoigh a thig, greas an taoigh tha falbh. (Ceit)

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Furain an taoigh a thig, greas an taoigh tha falbh. (Ceit)

The sight of the sun rising over the snowy peak of Suilven was breathtaking in it's beauty. No matter how many times Ceit had seen it before she simply had to stop and watch for a few moments. She was near the spot where she had made the deal with the strange fey creature the day before.

She found the fairy circle where the rose had lain and plunged into the darkened trees after taking a quick glance over the rough seas. The forest was dark and though it seemed similar to the previous day it was not the same. There was no mist and the strange voices of the fae were silent, perhaps they had forgotten the deal.

She waited for what seemed a long time before a tiny squirrel scuttled down from a tree to look at the intruder in it's home. After a few seconds it bounded deeper into the trees before turning and making it's chattering call as though it wanted her to follow.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

A final look out to the sea, the waves peaking with a brilliant whiteness against the deep blue of the waters. Ceit hoped to see it again, and with that thought, ran her fingers along the hilt of her sword, before letting the hand drop to a non-threatening position, and delving into the woods.

The squirrel was odd. But, so were the fae. The Scot followed the small creature, walking carefully, doing her best not to disturb the many plants that had sprouted up from the earth up here in the north. Too far for the machinations of empires and kings to foul.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

The squirrel seemed to be leading Ceit onward into the forest as it would scurry further into the forest whenever she reached it before turning and calling once more. She couldn't help but wondering if this was another trick of the fae or if the squirrel itself was fae. The trip seemed to go on forever until she found herself in a truly primeval area of the forest.

It was then that the squirrel stopped running ahead instead choosing to run up a tree where it disappeared into the dark canopy above. She knew it was still morning yet the sun could barely reach through the thick trees and brush she found herself in. Everything seemed alive in this grove of trees from the dark shadows to the flowering plants. It was enchantingly beautiful and yet unnerving all at the same time as she looked for the creature she had seen the day before to keep her promise.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Turning this way and that, Ceit let her eyes slide from tree to bush. From canopy, to shadow. She wasn't sure where she was exactly, or where her... hosts, where waiting.

"I've come, as promised," she said, making a keen effort to keep her hands from the grip of her sword.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

The same tinkling laughter from the day before reached Ceit's ears as she called out to announce her presence. The same creature she had spoke to the day before, or at least a creature of similar appearance seemed to step from behind a tiny sapling. How this was possible she didn't know as the creature was much wider than the tiny tree.

The creature waved in a friendly fashion before pointing deeper into the thick trees. Ceit could see that the forest seemed to open up in this direction and began to move in the direction as directed. Nearing the opening in the trees she found herself staring into the black mouth of a cave. The ancient trees seemed to curl around the entrance.

The trees and cave entrance were full of painted runes, the majority of which she recognized but a few were beyond her understanding. The large rune of warning in the very center gave her pause but she was interrupted by the creature's voice saying. "Don't worry the guardian of Suilven is expecting you."

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Moving towards the cave entrance, sword slapping gently at her thigh, Ceit stopped to try and read the runes. They must have been ancient, and she highly doubted they were seen by many human eyes. Her heart was pounding, but she hid the fear she held from her features.

"The Guardian of Suilven?" she asked, curious, but started walking forward regardless, before she received an answer.

It would be waiting inside for her.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"Yes, she guards this land from her more civilized cousins. Don't tarry, we still haven't had a chance to play yet." The fae creature called in it's happy tinkling voice as Ceit stepped further into the cavern. The light quickly faded making it incredibly difficult for her to see as she made her way ever forward. She steadied herself by placing her hand along one of the walls as she walked in the utter darkness.

The lightless depths seemed to go on forever as she slowly stumbled forward in silence. There was no sound aside from the water dripping somewhere deep within and the smell. Ceit was unable to place the scent at first but then it slowly came to her what it was. The coppery rancid smell of old blood filled her nostrils as she tripped and fell into a small puddle of it on the floor of the cave.

Then she heard the sound of movement from somewhere to her left as though someone had just stirred in their sleep. Finally a female voice called out strong and assured, her words seemed old as though it were one of Ceit's long dead ancestors.

"It is good you have come, Ceiteag. But I have one question before we continue. Are you afraid?"

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

As her knees and hands broke the slightly congealed surface of the puddle, the now cool liquid splashing up her arms and legs, thick and sticky on her clothes and skin, Ceit snapped her head up when she heard the voice.

Slowly, carefully so as not to trip again, she stood. She felt the blood soaking into the leather of her boots, around her toes, and moved to step out of it. She looked towards the sound of movement, towards the voice that bounced off the cavern walls to find her.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. But perhaps not as much as I should be. The thing is m'lady, it seems pointless to be too afraid. I'll either emerge from this cave, or I will not," Ceit answered as truthfully as she could. She had faced these fears the night before, and having been covered in blood enough times through her life (granted mostly from game), a puddle of it did not shock her.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"Honest and wise." The voice reverberated from the darkness of the cave back to Ceit. It was difficult to say in the darkness but the cave must have been quite large. Another crunch of rock underfoot drew her attention to the woman as she continued.

"I see you have come prepared for the tricks of the fae creatures that inhabit this wilderness. This is good, though perhaps not for the reason you would think as it would aid you little in escaping from my haven. It will however aid you in bringing me the proper sacrifice of the coming spring. Are you willing to retrieve this sacrifice, Ceiteag?" The woman's voice echoed once more around the cave. Another sound of movement and Ceit became aware of the woman's presence a few feet in front of her.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Stepping from the puddle before it soaked too thoroughly into her boots, Ceit's head looked around the darkness, eyes slowly adjusting to the gloom to the point where she could start to make out vague shapes of gray. The sound though caught her attention as words of sacrifice came free.

Then the woman was before her. Ceit's fingers flexed towards the pommel of her sword involuntarily, but she stopped herself from grasping it. Lest she offend her host.

"What is the sacrifice? And why me?" Ceit said, dodging a direct answer. To say no could offend and end her, to say yes may set her on a path that would end her. She had entered a tricky world, but the feeling that this woman was not Shidhe, but rather something else, was slowly gnawing at her gut, making her heart pound.

"And who are you?" a final question. Three questions, hopefully, three answers.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"The sacrifice will not be an easy one to obtain, I'm afraid. However I feel you are up to the task, Ceiteag. There is a leannan known as Màili, a days travel south of here, you will destroy her and bring me a sapling from the tree that she guards. Be wary of her mortal guardians, men and women trapped by her beguiling ways." The woman answered in response to Ceit's first question as she stopped unafraid before the young woman. Ceit could make out little of the woman's features in the dark, she looked to be quite beautiful but the most striking feature was her pale opalescent eyes staring straight ahead.

"I do recall being called Sileas long ago by my own ma. But now very few if any call me anything other than the guardian of Suilven, though I prefer the lands beneath the mountain. The same lands that you and your family live in and revere. I chose you mainly for this reason, many times have I seen you hunt through the forest over the years. Always you have shown the proper respect for nature and the forest." The woman stopped then and waited for Ceit to respond as she continued to stare straight ahead as though looking past her.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

A single glance back at the pool of blood, some of which still clung to her boots, before she was looking back into that strange eyes. Like a human's, but so very far from it at the same time. Ceit wondered if this Guardian of Suilven could see her. In case she could indeed see, Ceit bowed her head lowly in respect.

"I will get this sacrifice for you Sileas. But, may I ask, why the sacrifice?" the Scot said, fingers dancing along the hilt of the sword at her hip, thumb sliding over the pommel. A deep breath.

"I'm ready."

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Sileas didn't react one bit to Ceit's respectful bow, it certainly seemed as though she were unable to see. Yet she had little trouble moving about her strange home and had been able to find Ceit in the dark. She produced a small bowl from the folds of the rags that made up her clothes and dipped her opposite fingers in.

"I'm afraid you will not understand, the meaning of the sacrifice yet. Rest assured if all goes as I have foreseen you will understand. The understanding must come from within you. Now before you depart allow me to gift you with one final parting aid."

With the finger she had dipped into the cup she began to draw some sort of symbol on Ceit's face. The young huntress knew what she was doing and so held still as the pigment was spread along her cheeks and forehead. Strangely she could swear that the pigment smelled of blood but then so did everything else within the cave. Finishing Sileas stepped back and spoke one final time.

"The puca will guide you on your quest but they make poor allies in a fight. I will see you on your return, piuthar."

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Nostril's flaring slightly as the scent of blood wafted over her, Ceit otherwise held her place, feeling those fingers drawing the thick warm pigment across her skin. She said nothing, did nothing, as the symbols were drawn. She wondered exactly what kind of game she had entered, and came to the conclusion that the best way to discover it, was to play.

If Sileas was to be believed, but Ceiteag had no true reason to doubt her. Though she had no true reason to fully trust her either, save that she had been sought out specifically.

"I'll return, when I can," she said when the markings had been complete, guessing the finish to be a dismissal of sorts. As she turned to make her way from the cave, she glanced over her shoulder at the strange woman, and said one final word. "Piuthar."

Once outside the cave, Ceit let out a long breath. "Faigh muin," she muttered quietly to herself, looking at all the trees. Was she to remain in this strange realm of the fay... was she even in a strange realm, or just another part of the forest she didn't recognize. Hopefully the puca would guide her path.

"Cach," she said a little more loudly, and began walking southwards.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Ceit had to blink several times as she stepped from the darkness of the cave, looking about the area more closely. She never had been this far into the forest so perhaps she wasn't in the realm of the fae, but then the fey were said to be sly creatures. Muttering her curse she began her journey to the south with nothing more than curiosity as to the game she had found herself in.

She thought about the tales of the fair folk, her father had entertained her with as she grew up. The Lhiannan sidhe were said to be quite beautiful and regarded as muses by many a wandering bard. Though she also recalled that the inspiration she gave the bard's came with a heavy price. Bard's died young especially those whose very life force was stolen by the muses. If she was to hunt this Lhiannan she couldn't help but wonder what Sileas was, for she fit the description in many ways.

After several minutes the trees seemed to begin thinning out, which allowed the sun to trickle in more easily. It was then that she noticed another puca come wandering from the bushes ahead. This one took the shape of a large fox unlike the squirrels she had seen before now. The creature waited for Ceit to catch up before heading off towards the south, leading her along an easy path to whatever lay ahead.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

On her own, with thoughts and musings flowing through her brain, Ceit found herself battling fear with each step. With so much to think upon, and little to distract her from those thoughts save the almost mindless task of putting one foot before the other, she had nearly gotten herself into a frenzy.

Then the fox came into view. The chances for conversation were highly doubtful, but Ceit felt a small surge of relief. Something to focus upon, something to think of, rather than the similarities between her quarry, and the one who sent her on the path.

Keeping one hand upon her sword, still sheathed, she followed eagerly behind the fox. Whatever awaited her, she was as ready as she was going to be.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Ceit followed the fox throughout the remainder of the day, it occurred to her that she had never been this deep into the forest before. Thankfully her guide seemed to know the terrain well and always seemed to find the quickest and easiest routes through the hills and trees.

Eventually her companion slowed and sat on it's haunches as though it were a domesticated pet. The sun was low in the horizon and Ceit realized she would be spending the night in the dark, unknown forest alone. She was glad that her mom had insisted she take some food with her as there would be little time to catch her dinner this night.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Following at a brisk pace, no routes of man to guide her, she had to trust in the fox as she ducked branches, scrambled over fallen logs, and jumped carefully rock to rock as she crossed gurgling streams.

Then darkness began to slowly sink upon the world. The sun burned brightly through a few gaps in trees, the rays brilliant as the rest of the sky darkened. There was no clearing, no nice little camping spot. Just another patch of the forest.

Tucking herself beneath some low hanging branches that threw her into further shadow, Ceit watched the fox, her guide, head tilted as she reached into the small pack she had taken. Chewing on a piece of salted beef, she eventually tore a small piece off and held it out to her only companion.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

The sun dropped quickly as Ceit made herself comfortable for the night, or at least as comfortable as was possible. It was not the first night she had spent alone in the wilderness but it was under the most unusual of circumstances. She had so little knowledge of what sort of quest she was on and her only companion could not speak, or at least it had not chosen to.

As she offered it the small piece of salted beef, the creature slyly came closer and closer until it eventually grabbed the meal. The fox retreated a few steps before settling down to eat as well. They were in a clearing and the stars and moon in the sky were clearly visible as Ceit watched her companion eat. For the briefest of seconds she could have sworn she had seen the creature smile at her, though it could have simply been the trick's of the dark.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Ceit smiled back. It may have been a trick of the light, but she was at the point where assuming it was real might have been safer. She said no words, though she didn't doubt the fox would be able to hear. Leaning firmly against the trunk of the tree, she looked upwards. Through the few breaks in the foliage above her to see the moon. The billions of lights piercing through the darkness from so high above.

Eventually her eyes began to flutter closed. Hopefully the fox would wake her in the case of danger. If not, she'd just have to pack up quickly and move along in the morning.