What's new

Pathfinder OOC Thread

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: Chat Based Pathfinder

I'm simply reminded why stopped playing dnd online.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Rangers cast divine spells, don't they? Are they still usable?

...Oh wait, Campaign 3 doesn't have the divine caster restriction, does it? Out of curiosity, what about the other campaigns? Isn't it cool how every sentence in this post ends with a question mark?

Last edited:
OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

By divine casters, I meant major divine casters. IE: Clerics, Oracles and Druids. Paladins and Rangers were allowed in all of the campaigns, since neither of them have spells lists with anything heavy like Harm, Mass Heal or Flamestrike.

Campaign 3 has no class restrictions, and I already put up the race restrictions for it. Here they are again: humans, drow, half-orcs, dwarves and goliaths. though, the surrounding lands also include Chimeras (very large and very angry cat people,) elves, half-elves and lizardfolk. No lizardfolk allowed though, since it's all snow. I'm not making any promises on sandbox-ness for any of them, as I do have stories in line for each of them. The 2nd and 3rd do provide for a lot more freedom than the first though.

At this point, I'm just going to say **** it and go with IRC.

So, decision made so far:
- The game will be run on IRC. I'll pick a channel and find some useful instructions at some point, preferably before Thursday.
- We're going to play Campaign 3. Information on it is in previous posts. I may repost and expand on this information at a later date. Starting level is 9.
- Stats will be decided with 25 point buy.
- Players currently: Shrike7, Hentaispider, GargantuaBlarg, Copper, 64bitbot (possibly,) Incubus (probably not,) and LoliDefenseForce (if she gets on again by the time we're ready to start and such.) Did I miss anyone?
- Rolls for PCs will usually be by players. This is for several reasons, some of which are: I trust that you are all adult enough to not cheat, and that you all know that cheating in an RP is unrewarding, because it makes it more difficult for me to keep the game interesting if you breeze through every fight and ace every skill check. Also, I am lazy, and not doing every single roll means that I can put more effort into crafting the campaign world. The basic format I want any skill checks in is something along the lines of [ (Roll, Total Result after all of your bonuses) *RP stuff if necessary.* ] Ignore the square brackets and the asterisks. You can give me anything you like if you dislike that format, so long as it's legible, that's just the three bits of information I want in your post.

Decisions that need to be made concrete:
- Are we playing on Friday or Saturday? Or some other day? Everyone PM times to me, either converted to Eastern or with your time zone included, that you think would be good for those two days. If you have other times that also work, maybe we can find something else as well.

I'll post the stats for the non-SRD races later, with them edited into this post if I get around to it before anyone else posts.

Current Times I've received: (Note, all are in Eastern Standard Time. I'm much too lazy to do all of the conversions for everyone else multiple times.)
Shrike7: Friday, 7:30 to 8 start time. Presumably the same if Saturday, but prefers Friday.
Copper: Friday, 10 to 11 PM start time. Unsure about Saturday as yet.
Hentaispider: Friday or Saturday, start time either before 5 PM, or after midnight. Accursed time zones!
GargantuaBlarg: Friday or Saturday, start time after 6 PM.

Goliath:
Drow are in the SRD,
Normal drow only.
You can use any of the alternate class or race features from the Advanced Players Guide. No traits or Hero points though.

Finally, Chimera stats:
+4 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
Fast Reaction Time: Chimeras get +2 to their initiative and a +1 bonus to their Reflex saves.
Natural Linguists: Despite their somewhat animalistic nature, Chimera are all natural linguists. Linguistics is always a class skill for them, and they receive a +2 bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive checks.
Natural Weapons: Chimera have 2 natural claw attacks that each deal 1d4 + StrMod damage.

Here are two images that represent what they look like, so that people don't get confused.

Last edited:

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Alright, well I pretty much have my character done, I thought we should start planning out party roles. I don't know if Tass has been sharing everyone's plans, since I was the first to decide at the time, but I'm going Rogue, focused on skills and melee for the most part. I didn't take much for the talky-skills, since i as a person tend to be a bad party face, so that leaves it open for anyone else. I should do well spying on stuff and backing up people in fights. Not sure if i forgot anything, but feel free to ask questions if you need something specific.

Right, duh, personality. fairly happy-go-lucky and open about her rogue-y skills. grew up on the streets of (Inset large city here), where she protected and provided for a group of other city scamps. she still send messages with what coinage she can spare back to them, though because of the roving nature of adventuring parties, she hears back very seldom, unless she's nearby for a while. Tends to wear brighter garments in a variety of styles and cuts, though she has a dark blue set of clothing for when she needs to do stealthy-tyoe stuff. Exactly how much clothing she has on her depends on whether pathfinder has a version of Heward's Handy Haversack, and whether I can buy one for her.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

Ah yea the backpack of holding. XD

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Yep, the backpack of holding, where whatever you're looking for is always right on top. It's a girl's best friend, I tell you :D

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Ahh yes, I knew I forgot something. Starting gold! Everyone gets 2000 gp with which to buy their initial gear. Just use the book prices for stuff, even though I probably won't be sticking to them very faithfully in the actual game.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Allrighty, I'll start looking into making up a charrie, particularly using point buy, since I've never done that before, but I'm fairly certain there are instructions in the rulebook.

Spider, you wanna hook me up with that mibbit thing you were talking about, so I can start playing around with IRC?

As for class, well, might look into cleric. I've done a sorceress and a fighter in previous campaigns and I tend to like to play something different each time. I'll have to see if I can come up with a concept. Probably gonna be hummiegets, though, that much I'm fairly certain.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

As far as the character goes, I'm currently toying with an idea for a drow sorcerer with celestial bloodline.

Copper:

Loli Defense Force

Lili
RP Moderator
Reputation score

On a more serious note, if the campaign is to happen on Friday, I will be unavailable from 5:30 to 11pm, on Saturday, I should be free provided I do not randomly get dragged off.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Since there's a plotline to follow, I suppose I'll save the guild thing for later.

Was considering a Goliath Monk - punching things is even more fun when your fists are huge. As I understand it though Monks don't really work well. Open to suggestions, though I'd like to restate that I'd never played Dnd before.

Do we have a concrete level set yet? I've been making stuff level 8.

Awww, only 2,000 gold? I can't get or a with that!

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I guess that means we're not supposed to get magic items? 2 000 does seem very little. It's not even enough to get a +1 weapon.

the64bitbot

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hey guys, I'll be playing a cavalier. I'm almost done putting him together.

By the way tass, 2000 GP is very, very low. Reccomended wealth for a 9th level character is 46,000 gp. This number is taken straight from the character advancement table on the pfsrd.

Still, your game, if you says 2000, it's 2000, just be aware that we be less equipped than level three characters.

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

So we have a rogue, a cleric, a sorcerer, a monk and a cavalier?

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Ahh yes, I knew I forgot something. Starting gold! Everyone gets 2000 gp with which to buy their initial gear. Just use the book prices for stuff, even though I probably won't be sticking to them very faithfully in the actual game.
Derp. Forgot a 0. It's 20,000 gp. I was wondering why Incy got on my case about that one.

On a more serious note, if the campaign is to happen on Friday, I will be unavailable from 5:30 to 11pm, on Saturday, I should be free provided I do not randomly get dragged off.
So far, it's looking like the game's going to be played either Friday at some time after Midnight, or Saturday at times similar but unknown. Right now, I'm looking to start around 12:30 to 1 AM on Friday, EST. Does that not work for anyone? I know that's pretty early for you spider, but there's only so much I can do. I have to sleep too. Occasionally. XP

Since there's a plotline to follow, I suppose I'll save the guild thing for later.

Was considering a Goliath Monk - punching things is even more fun when your fists are huge. As I understand it though Monks don't really work well. Open to suggestions, though I'd like to restate that I'd never played Dnd before.

Do we have a concrete level set yet? I've been making stuff level 8.

Awww, only 2,000 gold? I can't get or a with that!
Monks are good. They wreck arcane casters and can outrun horses. Starting level is 9. And you can do things not related to the plot.

Also, @ALL: All of your characters will have known each other for at least two weeks, as that's how long you've all been on this particular caravan together. You're all acquainted and at least reasonably cordial to each other.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh good, someone beat me to the 2000 gp thing.

12:30 is 10:30 my time i think... so yeah, that should work for me, though i can only play for three or four hours, as i tend to work at 9 in the morning Saturdays. Shouldn't be too much of an issue, if I show up dead every once in a while, it won't cause any problems.

And now, my second-favourite part of character creation. Shopping!

the64bitbot

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Re: Time. Wee bit late, but as I said, Friday works for that, because I can use the weekend to rest from it.

Aside from that, for discussion of the party, as a cavalier, I get a couple of teamwork feats for free. So far I'm looking at outflanking (flanking gives a +4 instead of a +2) and shield wall (shield users next to each other get an improved ac)

However, I don't think many will be using shields. Anyone want to look over them and give suggestions?

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

I totally agree on the flanking one. I can already give a flanking ally a free attack if I miss, that should mesh really well.

Hmm, I like the Precise Strike one, should also work nicely since you can give it to everybody. Lookout and Coordinated Defense seem like good ones as well.

EDIT: You know what, I still have a spare feat, I think I'll pick up Lookout, then we should be able to get a drop on most things quite easily.

EDIT2: Holy crap the cavalier is a neat class. I really like that order of the Dragon, It's shiny! :D

Last edited:

the64bitbot

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Looking at the precise strike, that's a really good one, I think I'll be using that.

I was planning on order of the sword, but order of the dragon may be better if we're already a tight group.