What's new

GM's Briefing

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score
This thread will be entirely for Hardware to explain how he does stuff as GM, and what house rules he's going to be using. I'll let him fill the rest of this out on his own.

[Sc8]Hardware

Official Curmudgeon
Reputation score
Re: GM's Briefing

As he said, to clarify some things:

1. I am a GM, NOT a DM. My job is to facilitate the story the players are telling. One of the key house rules of my usual group, and one that I stick to almost religiously, is that the GM cannot tell the players "no." I may make a task ridiculously difficult to complete, but I have to at least allow you the opportunity to roll for it. The only caveat is that if you are being totally stupid (i.e., acting wildly out-of-character, deliberately metagaming, griefing, etc.) I will suspend this rule and flat-out say no.

2. Our other major house rule is that the GM is not allowed to permanently kill off PCs before level 5 (or the equivalent in whatever system is being used). This is not to say there will not be consequences, however. Do not take this rule as a license to go stupid. I won't kill off a PC permanently, even if you went wild, but you won't like the results.

3. In furtherance of that last item, I will add that my default position is story trumps everything. I will not allow the plot threads to be broken simply because someone made a bad roll, so don't worry about that. There won't be a deus ex machina to swoop in every time players fail at something, but plain bad luck won't cause major issues.

4. The question has arisen with regards to "adult" content in the game. While I am not at all averse to the presence of such material in the game, that will not be the focus of this campaign.

Rules-specific changes/clarifications:
- Characters who take levels in a Prestige Class keep the class skills of whatever their initial class was, in addition to the new skills from the Prestige Class
- Anything (feats, archetypes, etc.) from the "3.5" Star Wars books (There's a Dropbox link at the top of the Character Sheet thread) is acceptable as long as you tell me where you got it from so I can go see what it's supposed to do

As I think of more things, I'll edit this.

Last edited:

[Sc8]Hardware

Official Curmudgeon
Reputation score

Quick primer on how I intend to format my posts:

GM posts will be in blue. Out-of-character asides will be like this.

Combat items, skill uses, etc. will be like this.

<<Any individuals not speaking Basic will be subtitled like this.>>

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

As a note, when I'm making GM-style posts, I'll be using the same formatting as Hardware.