What's new

Custom TF2 map - pl KG Kaboom

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score
I don't think I posted this here before, but I've mentioned it many times before. Since April, I've been working on a special Payload style map that took its inspiration from a fan fiction based on the forum it was published to. Anyways, I think I'm getting pretty close for a large scale beta test with the map - I have a potential server snagged for the event, however the map has to pass their quality control tests before being uploaded.

I'll let you guys know when we're all ready to go. In the mean time, some screen shots:

the following are a bit older, but still relevant (excuse the crappy quality of the image - lower res settings)

Blue Resupply (in wall)

Red Spawn

On this map, Red pushes the bomb, while blue defends. This, of course is completely the opposite of what normally happens (hence the wrong colour on the HUD for the home point). The first point is located within the wall - you must ram the cart into the wall to bust it open and to gain access to the point. Once captured, the two Resupply rooms in the wall are now theirs, and they must push the cart into KG itself. The final point will be a place called the "hole of secrets" where a whole war was once waged to discover what KG's darkest secret was.

And we're gonna blow it sky high >3

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Custom TF2 map - pl KG Kaboom

Wow. Someone who actually makes maps in the forums. That's something new.

This was my first reaction to the entire map: "From the screenshots, the map is waaay too open. There's no way anybody'll be able to survive long enough to push the cart to the end."

Try adding more cover into the open fields. The interiors, on the other hand, look great.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Looks good, where do I sign up for testing?

Judging from just the screenshots, you may need something to keep the snipers in check, and if possible some cover or scenery for spies to hide behind as they try to infiltrate the enemy.

The third screenshot also shows a piece of the rail seems to blend into the ground in a turn.

EDIT: and the name reminds me of this

Last edited:
OP
ScrewDriver

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, I know its still too open. It's one of the things on my to-do list; however due to the fact that the map isn't set in an industrial setting, I'm gonna have to get creative with the obstructions. I'm thinking about setting up a hedge maze in the grassy area.

When I came up with the name Now that Billy Mays has passed away, I'm almost tempted to replace the explosion sound effect with Billy saying "Kaboom!".

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

What Darkfire said. ^^;

Keep at it, Screwdriver. Looks like it'll be a fun one!

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

It might work for the desert areas to just make higher sand dunes, or scatter a few rocks around.

A hedge maze would be nice, but don't overdo it, I know one map that had people get lost somewhere in a huge maze with the intel, took both teams an hour to find the scout that just didn't want to let go of the intel and switch classes to respawn.(Case of a 3d maze, bad maze skills, and stubbornness)

In some areas having open ground is not a bad thing, as long as it's not overdone.

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

took both teams an hour to find the scout that just didn't want to let go of the intel and switch classes to respawn.
Holy shit, that's freakin' hilarious.

OP
ScrewDriver

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score

More screen shots (from today):

Secondary exit from one of the resupply rooms in the wall:

Funny I never showed this one before.

The pipe leads to here:

Unfortunately for you, you can't go back that way. It's a security feature =P

Added more props to the desert side:

Yes, you can stand on that tree.

This one is by far my most favorite shot:

(seen from within the archway into KG.

Initial development of the "grand stairway" within KG:

Looks awesome, yet looks fugly too, haha. I need to pick better textures.

One of the two Blue spawn rooms within KG:

Apparently Spectators get the "nu-un" deflector too.

This shot is taken from above the stairway, within that area where the giant set of glass windows are:

And finally, the big Kaboom!

Woo! *passes out*

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

I like it, the inside seems like it has plenty of open space though, what about 2 engineers with sentries, one left of the tracks, and one to the right? Both obviously positioned so that they are too far from the corners for demomen to use stickies on them there. And one on the stairs might be a small problem if it can reach the tracks(And shoot the people pushing the cart).

Besides that, is there an alternative way to get into the building for players on the attack? If not, I can see a lot of camping and sentries there. Add a scout(or 2) with the sandman to stun ubers and it's invincible.(Not counting spies as a single triggerhappy pyro can take out all of them, and there is always someone playing pyro)

And the screenshots might not show it if it is there, but it may be an idea to make a sort of hatch(Like in well) that only opens from the inside for the secondary exit, so demomen won't start tossing grenades into there hoping to hit something.

OP
ScrewDriver

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score

The pipe is exactly like Well, where there is a hatch that opens only from above. So that's already been considered... though for an entirely different reason, haha. I never considered demo bowling.

Regarding the other issues, I appreciate the points you are bringing up. Currently the KG building is a "work in progress" - it's not finished yet, so at the moment it could be a death trap for either team. Keep in mind that when I post up screen shots, I'm just posting shots of what I have completed to date, and that I use them to scrape ideas off of the community (like you, haha). This just means that what you see here is not a "final" version of the map. As you may have noticed, one of Blue's spawns actually didn't have a room built around it - not exactly a good thing haha.

So that said, I'm going to lay out what my plans are:

1) from the spawn rooms, there is going to be a ramp leading into the attic (the space above wooden ceiling you can see in most of the shots). From here, you'll have access to the roof, as well as another exit to the near the control point.

2) The first floor is going to be laid out soon. I'm planning to make the place look like a home, with vast rooms along the west and east ends of the building. Sentries on the stairs should be easy to pick off by the snipers in the grassy area... though that's not enough, haha. Remember, they need to have engineers for this to be a problem anyways. (this guys has seen too many wins due to the enemy lacking an Engie).

3) Additionally, alternate entrances will be provided along the base of the building for non-rocket/sticky jumping classes. Demo men can easily reach the second floor by jumping up to where the vast bay-windows are - on each side, one of the windows has been opened.

4) Another alternate exit will be provided for one of Blue's spawns that will drop them into the first floor, similar to 2Fort. I hope this'll work well.

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Oh shi-

YOU'RE Captain Axle. *Accepts your friend request that he's ignored for a couple weeks now*

Anyway, the interiors are looking pretty good.

OP
ScrewDriver

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score

Aye, that's me. I'm not captain for nothin' either.

Anyways, so here's today's treat: instead of giving you all more screen shots, I'm gonna pass you the bsp file so you can play on it. There's been some massive/additional changes made to the map since those last shots, so make sure to check everything out!

OP
ScrewDriver

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score

My apologies for double posting, though it's been long enough to make this acceptable?

Anyways, main point of this post is to inform you guys that I'm going to be making this map from scratch again. I showed it to the guys at TF2Maps, and they pretty much advised that it's the best thing to do at this point... considering how poorly designed it is.

By poorly designed, we're talking more around some serious rendering issues. Rather than trying to fix it, they advised starting from scratch, and doing it right this time around - using what I've learned to date.

Despite how bad that may sound... I'm surprisingly stoked at the concept, especially since I now know a heck of a lot more than before.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Good luck, and might be a stupid question, but how do I view maps using one of those files? I usually just play them, and find out things while playing.

Besides that, sounds like a technical issue on the rendering, if I get the map working I'll go look around and fully look through the map and look for every single place I can comment on, screenshots included. I'm sure my computer won't have too much trouble with rendering things.

OP
ScrewDriver

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score

<<; Um... *fiddles and twitches*

I know you probably mean to help... but there is nothing that you can do regarding this... this version of the map is as of yesterday "defunct".

Please refer to the following link to see why I have scrapped the map:

Be sure to look at the images linked in that post to fully comprehend the problem.

To play this map, download the file and copy it into the following folder:
"c:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<your username>\team fortress 2\tf\maps\".
Start the game, click on "create a server", then select pl_kgkaboom_b1.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Well then, in that case, I'll just keep watching this thread for when a new version pops up.

Good luck. :)