What's new

Lurker Wars 2 Discussion Thread

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Lurker Wars 2 Discussion Thread

I just found this on page 2... SHAME!

... Not trying to nag or anything, but is this dead?
Do you need help?
Should I just mind my own business?

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Dead... not quite. Extreme writer's block as I'm horrible with writing other people into a story, yes. My issue is that since I am dealing with other users of the forum, I'm not always sure of how to put them into the story.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Any way I can help? PM if you want someone to bounce ideas off.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

This sounds familiar...

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Indeed it does. I will try to get into the groove once more and hopefully make it work.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Heh, you'd better, 'cause I'm gonna pester you with offerings of help and support until I see that next chapter...

I WANT IT ALL, I WANT IT ALL,
I WANT IT ALL, and I want it NOW!

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Lol, that may actually even get my ass in gear.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm actually willing to help, too. Even if it is just to help with me in the story. I could try with other people too, but I understand how it could be hard to write someone else in.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The 21st of October, 2009. That's when I posted the last chapter of Lurker Wars 2. In the meantime I've had plenty of real life issues, but also written a full story which I posted up here (Blood of the Damned), and have started work on another that will more than likely end up here. All the while, ideas, images, plot threads keep running amok through my mind for Lurker Wars 2.

My issue? I can not get myself to meld this ideas and images and plot threads into words on a page. I'm completely and utterly stuck, and despite my wanting to continue it, there's parts of me that want to hand it off and take some of those ideas, images and threads into another sci-fi story that has been bouncing about.

I think the main reason for this sentiment is that I feel constricted in writing in someone else's created world. Themes and ideas I thought would fit, don't. Sequences I don't think would work, do. I'm also not writing with fictional characters as I generally do, but rather using real people on this forum as the basis for the characters of the story. Each action and piece of dialogue I write, I feel like I will be judged for twice fold, and it weighs on me for every word I type into place. Not to mention my own character. How do I have myself do what I want without coming across as entirely egotistical? How do I write other people's flaws to make them a more three dimensional character without coming across as a bitch? Not to mention the great expectations people have come to expect from this saga. It's supposed to be a chronicle of what happens here on ULMF, but there have been plenty of users to approach me and say "Don't put me in,". Sure I could say "fuck you all, I'll write this as I want," but as this is a piece of ULMF's culture, I can't do that.

I wanted Lurker drop pods crashing down from the sky, but how do the denizens of this forum react to such an occurrence. I have to sit back and think, and think. It doesn't come naturally to me as the character's were not birthed from the womb of my imagination, but rather feel like adopted children. I had sequences of trench warfare, and brutal close-up combat, but how does that fit in with the favour of larger than life occurrences that even occurred in the first that many here hold. There's no magic, no buxom women in tight outfits.

I don't know how to push forth, I need some kind of key to open this door before me to continue, but I can't find it, or perhaps I don't have it.

Do I even want to continue? After months of nothing, I'm not even sure anymore. Is this overly long, drawn out post a cry for assisstance? Or is it a plea for someone to take the entire project off my hands? I don't even know.

Still... that's the status update on Chapter 4 or Lurker Wars 2.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

My advice. Fuck everybody else's thoughts. This is your world. It's not Mo's and mine. It's not the members you based the characters off of. If you want to make a story based on ULMF members, then they play by your rules.

Granted, I did let a lot of people tell me how to write them, but I barely ever listened anyway. I mean... Uh. I took their thoughts into account and then meshed them into my own ideas.

Honestly I can't say I can offer to help you write because your writing skills are vastly superior to both Mo's and mine. But here's the thing. I had a co-writer, which helps A LOT. Even if you don't think your idea of a character is good, your friend is like a third party; He won't shower you with compliments, but he won't put you down either.

What was my advice again...? Forget about what other people think and get a co-writer that can dedicate as much time as you and can build off of what you said.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Indeed something to think about. Only issue I have with co-writers is that I'm not on very often, and for two people to tackle a single story things can get a little... convoluted. However, I suppose a co-writer would be able to explore different avenues of what's happening.

Yeah, I guess I am just gonna have to say "Fuck it all" otherwise nothing will get done.