What's new

Rape and Other Such Acts in Erotic Narratives

Twisted

Mega Ultimate Jungle Girl 2000 Redux Z
Reputation score
Most of you might not know of such things, but I had started on an overly ambitious yet generic set-up(Female Link, etc) Zelda fapfic/smut story/erotica a long time ago, but only got the intro ever done and posted. Part of the reason why I only got the intro ever done(though I got a good chunk of the "first part" completed), was because the introduction consisted of Epona going wild, and raping Link before trotting off into a densely wooded area.

Now, I'm not an entire stranger to writing rape; however the time before(and only time, I might mention), I had written it as an honest rape scene. Not meant to be erotica or smut; and so writing it as such was a foreign concept to me. It was a first, and I was unsure about how to go about it. Obviously the actual rape was rape, the part that complexed me as to how to go about it was the afterward- after the rape has happened, how would the victim react in an erotic narrative?

Now, obviously, a person would react the same regardless of the "narrative", but from an author's point of view, there are points that one has to take into consideration. One is obviously whether a "realistic" reaction to being raped would clash with it being an erotic narrative- would their reaction be too "heavy" or "serious" for smut, and take away from the erotic nature, making it swing more towards a feel more fit for a television drama, perhaps a rape-revenge narrative?

On top of that, would an author be able to portray the reaction in a realistic way? Especially when taking into consideration that most erotica authors who portray rape in their narratives have most likely not been in the act themselves. Can one who has not experienced such a thing be able to portray it properly? Would it come off as arrogant and presumptuous to believe one can portray a character's reaction, to believe one knows how a rape victim reacts to the "afterward" of the act?

Then we have the other side. Fully embracing the erotica nature, the victim is unphased by the rape. They return to their feet, and continue on their journey. Or perhaps they are phased by it, but it doesn't not effect them. They may seek revenge on their attacker; though they do not show any emotional burdens from the attack. They do not suffer nightmares, post-traumatic stress syndrome, or any other possible conditions of having such an act done to them. Where-as this preserves an erotic atmosphere by leaving the emotional and dramatic parts of the rape out of the picture, allowing more focus on the erotic aspects of the writing, it might come off as unbelievable; possibly bypassing ones suspension of disbelief. One does not simply get raped by their trusted steed, and shrug it off without some kind of emotional backlash, do they?

Between the two extremes, since writing is not a simple black-and-white medium- we have other shades, yellow, red, and other racially insensitive shades such as gray. A variety of perhaps "happy middle-grounds", which attempt to balance a realistic reaction and maintaining a proper atmosphere for an erotic narrative. The victim may, perhaps, have emotional backlash as to the attack, but soon shrug it off on the grounds of "more important things to do"(as what happened in my short-lived narrative), however, this by itself can have its flaws as well. Whenever one attempts to balance two extremes into a compromised middle-ground between the two, it can come off as undedicated, or try-hard by the reader or viewer. Balancing the two can sometimes need extreme care as to not to sway too far to one side, as that in and of itself might cause an "Err" in the atmosphere. A poorly handled compromise can appear to the viewer as if the author does not know whether to make the narrative a drama or an erotica.

With all of these possible problems to consider, one might ask, "If it can be so tricky to make rape 'fit', why bother using rape in an erotic narrative?" To which, I believe there are multiple reasons. One of which is one I believe I see in a lot of animated erotica, where there is an attempt at a serious, sometimes dark storyline. Because of the nature of Rape in its basic form as a Sex Crime, it has a serious atmosphere about it, which might fit a darker story or universe better than consensual sex with a lover. It's easier to fit a rape scenario into a story than it would be to set up a romantic scenario for authors. Where as creating a romantic partner for the protagonist can be a trial in and of itself, rape is a a simple case of one being overpowered and forced- though one might say that the afterward of rape can balance the two out in "trickiness" to write.

Another reason why rape can be a useful tool in writing erotica is that, especially those with a female protagonist, it allows one to include a wide variety of fetishes into the narrative, while keeping the victim from coming off as a shameless slut. One can include such things such as bestiality, public sex, group sex, monster sex(Less so of the animal kind, but with such things such as ogres, orcs, trolls, et cetera) all into one narrative, with a single woman, all while maintaining the image that the victim is a normal person with normal desires, as opposed to someone that would lay with anything that would so much as brush by them sensually. Where-as there are many people who enjoy such protagonists, like an author must provide variety in the sexual acts in their work, they must also provide a variety in their protagonists. If all female protagonists in erotica were as I just described, it would be boring, and become monotonous. The character type would lose some of what makes it special, I believe. It would become the norm, and then it would cease to be appealing.

Yet another possible reason to include rape as a recurring incident in a story might be because of a romantic partner. The two can be used in tandem multiple ways. They can be used for emphasis on one another. In example, one can initially set up a romantic partner for the victim, and then use that set up to put emphasis on the rape. This is a common scenario I have seen in materials that make use of the N.T.R. fetish, using the emotional despair of one or both parties as erotica itself. However, one can also use them in tandem to emphasize the other half- One can use rape to make consensual sex seem more important. A consensual, romantic climax to a story where rape was commonplace might be more dramatic. For those who desire to see two lovers embracing each other in great emotion and love, using rape as a build-up to perhaps the final sex scene being consensual could be highly beneficial. After the protagonist(s) many struggles through-out the story, they are finally able to embrace each other in the heat of their own passion. Their ability to maintain love for each other through-out the story's many incidents may amplify that scene- Make it feel more like a more authentic love, as opposed to simple lust. A "happily ever after" end to a story filled with struggle and tragedy can leave a pleasant impression on the reader after they have finished the story.

Of course, these are the ramblings of a person who is inexperienced in both sexual acts and writing erotica. An uneducated string of un-researched speculations and opinions, brought on by a whim of a thought looking back on a failed experiment. So as I conclude these ramblings as to the handling of rape and other such acts in erotic narratives, I confront the reader with a question - how do you believe it should be handled? Of course, the end-all answer to this conundrum is that "It depends", and that each story should handle it differently, and that there is a dependance on what kind of atmosphere and universe the author is trying for. A darker, more sexually deprived "brown is real" universe might deploy the Erotica approach, having rape be a common-place act in their story's universe; where it has lost its impact; they might also go for the more dramatic approach. Emphasizing the rape to create a grittier story and universe, appealing to a different crowd than the former. A single setting is not confined to a single approach, and different kinds of said approaches can lead to a different atmosphere and feel, some creating a better atmosphere for the reader than others. So again I ask, how do you, as a reader, or maybe even as an author, believe such things should be handled in erotica, on a general scale? Should they be portrayed in a more realistic way, a more "erotica" fashion, or some balance between the two extremes?