What's new

Pathway through Pixels

GoldBeetle

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
After many failed attempts at learning to do 3D modeling, I've decided to go back to pixel art. The only difference now is I have a tablet to do it all. Most of these are just scribbles and getting used to the tablet. Criticism and comments are still welcome. I may post some better refined art later this weekend.

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score
Re: Pathway through Pixels

After many failed attempts at learning to do 3D modeling, I've decided to go back to pixel art. The only difference now is I have a tablet to do it all. Most of these are just scribbles and getting used to the tablet. Criticism and comments are still welcome. I may post some better refined art later this weekend.

Nice scribbles,I personalty prefer pixel art to 3d or line drawn artwork,so it's good to see another aspiring pixel artist.

OP
GoldBeetle

GoldBeetle

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Okay, I need some advice. I can't seem to "see" anymore when I try to draw. I never learned how to control that weird state when drawing and my art skills keep going up and down. It's driving me insane. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. :(

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Okay, I need some advice. I can't seem to "see" anymore when I try to draw. I never learned how to control that weird state when drawing and my art skills keep going up and down. It's driving me insane. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. :(

Practice then practice and practice some more, my stuff looked like complete shit 3 years ago but it's starting to get mildly respectable.

I'm at the point where I can "see" where it's going and not even need to doodle references or use an example but sometimes that does not always return the best results thus heavy edits to get it looking right.

I still have a long way to go but it's not bad considering I was terrible at everything before.

I find keeping it fresh and doing lots of different things and in different perspectives helps visualize the different ways of doing one thing in multiple different possibilities.

The best thing to do if something is frustrating you is to leave it alone and come back to it with a new perspective of thinking before tackling it head on once again.

Djinbu

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Man, I know what you're going through. Sometimes you simply can't draw at all. Perhaps you're distracted. Sometimes my warm-ups take around half an hour, sometimes they take two to three hours before I start to be able to plan out a drawing.

Hell, first sketch for warm-up today:

Final sketch/study three hours later:

Tomorrow I'll be spending an hour or two drawing feet and heads from worm view

Just draw. Don't get discouraged; keep drawing. And drawing. And studying. And studying. And drawing while studying. And studying while drawing. And studying while studying. And drawing while drawing.

Last edited:
OP
GoldBeetle

GoldBeetle

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Okay so...

Good news is I can draw again and a little bit better to boot.

Bad news is I still can't draw that well on my tablet.

Anyone here have this much trouble getting used to their tablet? I feel like I'm really struggling to get used to it despite looking up tutorials on improving tablet use.

OP
GoldBeetle

GoldBeetle

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Okay, so this morning after trying to use my tablet again and failing, I decided to use the mouse instead. Apparently I still have a long way to go before I'll get anywhere. Here's what I made before giving up for the time being.

Djinbu

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Okay so...

Good news is I can draw again and a little bit better to boot.

Bad news is I still can't draw that well on my tablet.

Anyone here have this much trouble getting used to their tablet? I feel like I'm really struggling to get used to it despite looking up tutorials on improving tablet use.
You'll get better with time. Make sure you cover your tablet with paper so you have better friction and your pen doesn't go everywhere. And as with drawing, the more you practice, the better you'll get.

OP
GoldBeetle

GoldBeetle

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Finally got used to my tablet. It actually didn't take as long as I expected. Apparently I was doing it wrong (drawing) the whole time. I went back to basics and it was like riding a bike. So here's a lot of doodles and scribbles. A little more practice and I think I'll be ready for actual sprites.

OP
GoldBeetle

GoldBeetle

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I did these this morning right after I did some art with a pencil and pen. Apparently I suck with a pencil but can draw pretty damn well with a pen. Also tried doing some more coloring. Anyway, here's the scribbles;

LustFire

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Sometimes it's better to go traditional right before pixel art, depending on how much time you want to take before the actual job. Scribbles are not suitable in low resolution canvases, because of the limited line volume available. Keep in mind that pixel art tends to be the "final stage" and requires traditional drawings to be done first.

I still suggest using a brush instead of a pen (if on the tablet), because it can take multiple strokes to get the outline done correctly. But this depends on how "hard" or "soft" you want to present your drawings.

OP
GoldBeetle

GoldBeetle

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Good news everyone! I can draw! What's the catch? None. No really. The only thing I have to do now is practice some more. I realized earlier today that I suck at faces and legs. Gonna need to practice those and do some animations. I also noticed I can't do small sprites for shit so I'm going for large. Also need to learn to finish things :S

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

I usually just build a horribad represenation of something when I cannot find a tile that I want to use for rpgmaker. Sometimes I even impress myself since the tiles I create do not look like utter trash compared to the standard rpgmaker tiles.

One day I will be able to render grass on Daz, and that will make me happy. When I can animate it, more happy days.