What's new

Touhou CYOA - Second edition

Guan Yu

GAUN
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Had a bit of a brainstorm at work, decided to try my hand at writing after a long pause. Initially I thought about making a PBP game from Beppo's rather good idea but decided to scrap that, as I'd rather play in it than run it. Then the idea of a CYOA came to mind as a nice practice work. One of the CYOAs I've always liked was ZeroSpace's Touhou, so I decided to shamelessly steal the idea

My story here will be a variation of mine on UFO's story, and will star one of the hottest mamma jammas in Touhou, Byakuren. I'll be using plenty of other characters, along with some fanon inventions and the occasional picture, when there is a good spot to use them. There'll be items to use if you find any, hentai scenes of course and some bad ends if the choices go wrong. I still want to run the whole thing, and will probably just reset from a nearby option if you guys happen to score a bad end along the way.

The Gensokyo this story will happen at is a darker and more unforgiving than it's canon counterpart. Byakuren's been mysteriously released from her imprisonment, and now wants to continue her work on improving the relations between youkai and humans. She'll be needing something to move around with, as well as the crew to operate the vehicle. The objective here is to find and recruit the necessary 4 crewmembers (Nazrin, Shou, Murasa and Ichirin) and build the Palanquin Ship after they've been found. Byakuren is weak after her long imprisonment time, and won't be able to use any of her massive danmaku powers, only a few minor spells. That means she'll be at the enemy's mercy most of the time

Here's an image of Byakuren for the people who don't know what she looks like. It's a rather fanon image of her, but I love her like that

Now that I've gotten those out of the way, let's get this thing started

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The darkness. Everything was darkness

She's been in the darkness for what seemed like eternity. In the unrelenting, unmoving darkness, she thought about everything a person could imagine. The years and years of thought were getting on her mind, and Byakuren was sure she'd lose her sanity soon if something didn't happen soon. "Somebody help me, there's still things to be done" was her last thought before she fell unconcious once more

Suddenly, the darkness gave way to a blinding light. Byakuren suddenly felt something she'd almost forgotten about. Freedom. She was blinded, but could move and even talk again. The joy overwhelming her mind, she started carefully moving around. The sounds coming from her surroundings suggested that she was in a cave of some sort.

After a few moments of blind wandering, she could hear speech in the distance, a male and a young girl's voices. She began to move towards the voices, as she needed to reach a safe place and regain her senses.

A surprised yelp escaped her mouth as she knocked her foot on a rock and fell down on her face, passing out again.

"..u...o..kay? Ca.. yo...hea..me?"

Byakuren could hear someone calling her. Her vision was still a bit hazy, but she could see a handsome man looking over her. His face had a look of friendliness and concern. "Finally you've woken up" he says with a big smile

A week passes, as Byakuren recovers from the after-effects of her sealing under the care of the man called Rinnosuke. Still unable to summon her powers, Byakuren decides she needs to start her work again now that she's free. After sharing goodbyes with Rinnosuke, she heads out to the open world

A. Go towards the forest

B. Go towards the mountains

C. Go towards the sea

Last edited:

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score
Re: Touhou CYOA - Second edition

A) Forest seems like a natural first step if she's setting out from Rinnosuke's house.

I would normally point out how Gensokyo is landlocked and thus has no real seas, but it's your Gensokyo, and as a once told me, that's one of the best and most important things about Gensokyo.

Last edited:

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

C)

I agree with the black Tewi... And frankly, I'd like to see a sea in Gensokyo at least once.

plmnko

Tentacle Smut Lord
Reputation score

A

OP
Guan Yu

Guan Yu

GAUN
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

After some thought on the issue, Byakuren decided to head into the forest first, to ready herself for the harsher locales of the mountains and the sea. Since she couldn't fly yet, she'd have to go by foot. Taking a final look at Rinnosuke's store, she started walking down the road

Not much had changed during the long years of her imprisonment. The forests seem as lush, green and teeming with life as they always were. She could occasionally spot tiny animals and youkai everywhere around her. As she headed deeper to the forest, fairies began to appear in the air.

But, this was still a forest of youkai, and not without it's dangers. After succesfully evading a big predator youkai, Byakuren thought she needed a plan on how to travel

A. Proceed quickly, covering more ground

B. Proceed cautiously, paying careful attention to your surroundings

Aurani

Unknown Squid's Husband
Reputation score

B) Yukkuri shiteitte ne.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

A! The longer she stays, the more likely she is to be attacked, after all.

OP
Guan Yu

Guan Yu

GAUN
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Caution is the way to go now, so Byakuren takes special care to look about her surroundings, if ambushers happened to come by.

Coming across a patch of colorful mushrooms, Byakuren finds something that's not supposed to be there. She picks up an wooden, octagonal box-like object with engravings on it. Instantly feeling the magical power contained within, she decides to take it with her. Maybe she could use it in a pinch, or the owner might want it back

Item gained!

As night begins to fall, Byakuren decides to start looking for a safe spot to spend the night. She spots a small clearing with the remains of a campfire in the middle. Deciding to settle there for the night, she picks up some wood nearby and conjures a small fire to get the campfire started. The warmth and light coming from it make her feel a bit safer

After some time spent eating and thinking about the future, Byakuren suddenly finds herself in complete darkness. "What is this!?" Instantly on guard, she starts slowly backing away from the now not-visible campfire. Hearing something moving nearby, she reaches for the box in her pocket, but something grabs her hand before she can reach it. Byakuren's body reacts faster than her mind, throwing a startled elbow at the creature grabbing her. Feeling the impact of her sudden attack, the creature lets go of her. The darkness vanished instantly, revealing the figure of a small girl with short blonde hair with a red ribbon and a black dress. She's crouching next to Byakuren, holding her head. "Ow ow ow ow, why did you have to do that..." While her appearance is innocent enough, this girl is clearly a youkai of some sort.

A. Talk to her

B. Run away from her

C. That ribbon looks... interesting

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

C!

ZeroSpace

Lurker
Reputation score

Well I am going to shamelessly announce that I am going to change my Touhou story from a CYOA into more of an actual fan fic since everyone seems to like always pick sex, oh, and yeah, I am sorry for abandoning it too.

And A for Approach.

Aurani

Unknown Squid's Husband
Reputation score

A) Ignoring the fact that she just punched someone in the face is probably a bad thing, better to clear this one out in a hopefully civil manner.

OP
Guan Yu

Guan Yu

GAUN
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

(Awww dammit XD. I was really looking forward to writing the inevitable Ex-Rumia rape that would've followed with the C vote winning, but if the votes go elsewhere, they go elsewhere. Either you people know your Touhou or want to stay in character, both things I can apriciate. Carrying on now)

The youkai's innocent looks getting over her a bit, Byakuren crouches next to the girl. "Did I hurt you too badly? Are you alright?" Rubbing her head a few more times, the girl stands up again, spreading out her arms and giving Byakuren a faint smile.

"Yes, Rumia is alright now"

The girl named Rumia seems to have recovered, so Byakuren decides to ask her about the situation that just happened. After a brief discussion, Rumia's intention was to ambush and eat her. "But Rumia doesn't want to eat you anymore. You might hurt Rumia again with that mean elbow. Have you been hanging around with that gateguard?"

Sharing some of her food with the little youkai, Byakuren gets a hint about a small cave nearby, where she should go spent the night, instead of being out here in the open. Parting ways with Rumia, She heads towards the mentioned cave

Arriving at the cave, Byakuren notices that someone or something lived there recently

A. Stay overnight at the cave

B. Find another place to sleep in

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

A)

You never know whether you'll find a good place to sleep in this forest, and staying out in the open during the night is a bad idea. The thing from the cave might be not so bad... Or at least it'll be one enemy instead of many wild youkai.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I guess I'll go with (A) for this one.

After reading the previous set of options I honestly couldn't decide. I thought I'd leave it and see what other people said. Exactly as you said, there was either staying in character (and the generally likely most sensible thing regardless), or going for the obvious fun disaster option.