What's new

Amarant: Unknown Path

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score
A summary of the first 4 chapters is now available for those of you who wish to join the story - you will find a link to the post in the "Table of Contents" spoiler.

Table of Contents (Possible Spoilers):
Chapter 1: "Novo" Page 2, Post #18

Chapter 2: "On the (Rail) Road Again…" Page 5, Post #75

Chapter 3: "Under the Sea of Mist" Page 11, Post #158

Chapter 4: "The Catacombs" Page 23, Post #334

Summary 1 - Chapters 1-4: "Part 1" Page 32, post #477
Forward:
Greetings all!

Finally, here we are! After quite a few months in the works of mapping out the story and spinning the lore, I present to you “Amarant”.

I’ve read quite a few CYOAs here and elsewhere to get a feel for how this will work out. I’ll try and be concise with my explanation, though most of this will probably be obvious or already known to those of you who visit the CYOA subsection regularly:

The story will mostly follow the narrative I’ve written up, to a point, varying depending on your decisions you guys vote upon and the occasional “Other” choice. Given that this is my first time I’m going to leave the vast majority of die-rolling and game mechanics at the door, instead, opting to have you guys factor in your own “luck”.

Update: This has changed a bit over the months, as there are a few instances where I need to create a sense of luck. However, this luck will usually affect minor details and will very rarely ever have an impact on major plot points.

When a post ends I will try and give you guys at least 24 hours, give or take a few, to get your votes in. If a bandwagon starts up I’ll write up a rough draft, but keep it in reserve in case other decisions make a comeback.

Also, I have tried to construct the world, character’s motivations & allegiances, as well as your decisions in such a way that an “Other” vote (That makes SENSE) can be fit into the vast majority of the story. Some specific situations will not allow an “Other” option.

Some paths will lead through different areas and meet different characters but the final destination is the same. However, what transpires after you arrive there depends on the choices you make and how you handle certain situations.

Also, interact with characters. Most of the time I’ll usually have a prompt but, if there is not a pressing and urgent matter at hand, go ahead and “Ask a question” or interact with them in some way. If it’s relevant I’ll paraphrase and try my best to put it in character and have it flow with the narrative.

I hope you enjoy and thank you.

An explanation of the "Stats/inventory", the "Minor Action" system, and "Discrete Crystals" can be found below:
Explanation of Discrete Crystals:

Discrete crystals are an idea I had when coming up with mechanics for this game when thinking about how to allow readers to explore a “What If…” option. Some of you may know where I drew inspiration from, but I liked the idea of a lore friendly item that also held an in-game mechanic.

As far as the mechanics go:

Red Discrete Crystals:
These will act as your "lives" in a simple sense. In a more complex way of thinking about them, if you fall in combat one will shatter and put you back to a place in time before the blow was struck. This is it's passive effect. To utilize them actively, you must first declare you want to use it. Two or three (depending on the total number of voters), other voters must also support your decision to use them. Activating them manually will allow you guys to see a "Bad Ending" (Not necessarily death. With the content on this site, you should know what this implies) and then have the story begin again at the point it was "consumed", in the next post. If you choose to activate one, please still make a primary vote in case you are vetoed.

White Discrete crystals
White crystals will provide a cryptic glance into the future. In a more general sense, they'll allow you to have me give a brief description of each of the available choices. This way, you guys can make a more informed decision when faced with a stressful decision or are lacking information.

So, in a nutshell: Red ones are lives which can be shattered to experience a "Game Over" and white ones are a crystal ball look into the future. Red Crystals may actually be shattered at any moment to have an “instanced” scenario of any previous fight/encounter in the game, if there are enough votes, of course.

Minor Actions Explanation:
Minor Actions are small actions you may do in addition to your Primary Vote (A,B, C, etc). They will usually just provide you with additional information or perhaps, in rare circumstances, an item. If it would cause an encounter or runs the risk of causing general havoc than it's best to put it as an additional detail under primary vote.

Examples are asking someone a simple question, inspecting an object or feature in the environment, checking on or using an item in your bag, or changing some feature on your person. (i.e. Putting your hair into ponytail - See: Sections explained > Appearance)

They may help you, but please, try not to abuse the system. Trying to examine a couple objects in detail may be fine, but picking every item off the shelf in a store can get a bit... tedious.
Explanation of Stats Sections:
A "*" next to the "STATS" title will denote that there has been a modification since the last post.
A blue + will denote that an item has been gained.
A red - will denote that an item has been lost or destroyed.

Current Inventory: What you have with you.

Weapons: Objects that may be used to inflict harm on opponents. Note, that these are your primary means of damaging an enemy in combat but you may use other items you possess or objects in the environment in creative ways. This includes your bare hands and feet.
To display the status of the cylinder in the revolver, I have added a simple set of letters to let you guys know exactly what the state of it is between posts. It currently goes:

Cylinder: (Chamber aligned with barrel){Next shot once hammer is cocked}>Remaining chambers>
Sp = Spent casing. L = Loaded/Live round. E = Empty.
So, “ Rotation: (Sp){L} >L,L,E,E ” Means that you have a casing now lined up with the barrel, the next shot will be live once you pull the hammer, and then you have two more rounds before you’re empty.

Apparel: Clothes that are currently being worn. Any damage will be detailed as well. Clothing not being worn will be held in your inventory. A “???” symbol denotes the knowledge of it being worn, but no specific details are known.

Abilities/Effects: Special abilities possessed by the character. Some may be directly linked with items/pieces of clothing. Also lists passive effects present upon the character, including passive skills and negative conditions.

Physical Appearance: A basic overview of the physical features of your character.
Some aspects may be altered via a minor action if necessary requirements are met (Tying hair up into a ponytail), or against the character’s will depending on the nature of the alteration.

Amarant: Unknown Path:
-Introduction-

A roar permeated the darkness. A constant rumble that never ceased. You feel it shake your form as you float through this black void. Small, higher pitched pangs of metal chime every so often. You start to feel a rythm - a subtle bounce that rocks you up and down. The roar crescendos, making the void shimmer. Miniscule fractures start to appear on the black background. Like shattered ice the lines arch out from their origins, creating a spiderweb like appearance of white on black. You try to focus on the lines but they appear hazy. Whenever you feel as though you’ve pinned one down it appears somewhere else. You try and move towards it, but your limbs ache in protest. The lines start to appear more concise, more concrete. At this point you’re not sure if you’re approaching it or it’s approaching you. The roar still continues. The web almost seems to be within reach. You stretch out your arm as far as it will go. Your entire purpose seems to be making contact with the splits in this void. As you finally make contact light seems to spill forth from the web of cracks. The roar grabs your attention again and you open your eyes...

The darkness is gone. Instead a soothing hue of brown, white, and gold fills your hazed vision. You see before you seats lined up in row after row, with an aisle in the middle. The aisle is covered with a hard wood floor which gives way to carpet underneath the seats. Two walls with panes of black and a ceiling of gold confine this seating arrangment. They continue on until they meet another wall at the end with a door positioned in the middle which lines up perfectly with the aisle. You turn and see that the room is identical on the other side, finding yourself seated at one of the far ends. The ceiling has cylinders hanging from above. Swinging from side to side they glow a hot white as light pours from them, reflecting off the ceiling and hitting the polished brown wood of the walls and floor to produce a golden tone throughout the room.

A roar also permeates the room - a constant rumble that never seems to cease. You look about for its source yet you find that you are the only occupant of this room. The roar seems to be coming from everywhere. A grinding that seems to shake you and the room itself. It has a rhythm to it: a subtle waviness to it that grows louder in short bursts and quiets down just as quickly. Short metallic cracks ring out, as though someone were wielding a whip against the beast from which makes this sound. As you sit there and listen to it, and your head starts to become a bit clearer, the roar becomes less bestial and more metallic. The grinding teeth become the sounds of turning gears and the whip that of clashing metal. You suddenly realize you are on a train. You turn towards the window but darkness is still all that greets you from the outside.

“I must be in a tunnel” you think to yourself.

The victory to this small mystery of where you are is shortlived however. As you turn to stand and move about the car other mysteries start to bombard you.

"Why am I on a train?"

"Where is it going?"

Each question becomes more and more alarming.

"How did I get here?"

"What was I doing here?"

... "Who am I?"

Your breathing picks up and your eyes start to dart rapidly across the room. The lights in the car appear brighter and time seems to slow down. The sound of the moving car becomes a dull moan and your mouth opens as your breaths become faster and shorter. Your fingers clench into fists and a pit forms at the bottom of your throat as you seem to lose yourself. Darkness appears around the edges of your vision. You force your eyes shut and open them again, repeating this process in an attempt to reclaim your vision. Your breathing quickens even more. As you sit there twisting in confusion you bring your hand to you mouth and bite down. Hard.

A bitter, almost burnt taste fills your mouth. Pain starts to flow from your hand. Your breathing picks up slightly and then begins to calm down, all of your muscles following suit, finally ending with your jaw. You try and focus, the pain snapping you out of whatever panic attack you were having. Although, your hand doesn’t hurt as much as you thought it would. You slowly open your eyes to see that your teeth have left their mark on a leather glove. Resting against the back of the seat you flex the fingers on your right hand and let the pain fade away until only a minor ache is left.

Now, with your head clear and body calm you examine yourself. Your hands are covered with leather dress gloves; a dark brown, they fit your fingers snugly. You turn your gaze to your torso and see a khaki colored duster. With six buttons going down the front it, it fits to you closely and comfortably. Peeking out from below this you can see a black skirt which goes down to your ankles and leaves just enough room for you to see two dark brown, front-laced, leather dress boots on your feet. You unbutton the duster and see a white blouse covering your moderately sized breasts. The material is soft as you slowly twist around feeling the fabric on your skin. You reach up to your neck and feel an oval-shaped brooch at the front of your collar; it appears to be some type of metal with an inlay of some sort. “Whoever I am, I’m certainly quite well off... or at least playing the part of someone who is.”

With that done you button the duster back up and start to examine your head. Slowly raising your hands you finally make contact with your hair. It seems to be put up into some sort of loose bun. As you fumble around, trying to get an idea of how it is shaped, you accidentally knock whatever was holding it together loose. Hearing the sound of metal hitting the hardwood floor below you, you feel your hair fall down to just below your shoulders. You grab a handful, and although it is hard to see in this light, you are sure you see a darker color, a deep auburn. As for your face, you can’t say much without a mirror, but you don’t... feel unattractive. Content with the hope that your face matches that of the quality of your clothing and hair you continue on.

You spend a couple more seconds examining your pockets, eventually finding a train ticket in your left front pocket. The ticket is a sickly yellow with black ink imprinted on it that looks far too precise to have been written by hand. What seems to be random letters line the left and top side, edging up along the border. A red circular symbol inhabits the top-right corner but the ink is very light, and you have difficulty discerning what it says. You look to the bottom, however, and finally see something of note:

“Second-Class - Hangsmire to Novo. Female. Elf.

“Elf!?” You think to yourself, and immediately images of men and women with sharp faces and pointed ears fill your mind’s eye. You reach up and sure enough you notice a tiny point to your ear that you missed earlier. However, you notice your ears are not especially long. In fact, they feel quite “normal”. Of course, you’re not quite sure what “normal” is at this point.

Looking back to the ticket, you notice how the last two words are less perfect than the rest – as though they had been scribbled in by someone. You then look back to the town names. Novo? Hangsmire? You try to think if you have heard of them before but the names hold no familiarity. You examine the ticket further for any clues but your efforts prove fruitless, signaling your defeat as you put the ticket back into your pocket.

As a strand of hair dangles in front of your eyes you remember the pin that had fallen out of your hair. You lean over onto your left arm and reach down to retrieve it. That is when you notice a small bag, a purse of sorts, partially tucked underneath your seat. You forget about the pin and instead reach for the bag, grabbing it by the handle, and attempting to hoist it up onto the seat. You are quite suprised at the parcel’s weight, finding it weighs a bit more than you would expect of the average handbag. You lift it up and set it down to your left, shuffling closer to it as you find the latch and open it up. What you find is curious.

Lying on top is an almost perfectly snow-white envelope. You can’t put your finger on it but it almost seems as though you know it is meant for you. You feel a flutter and inhale sharply as hopes of finding out who you are rush through your mind. Surely it’s from a relative or a close-friend! With your attention entirely focused on the letter, you seemingly ignore everything else underneath and pick it up. You turn it in your hands notice it is devoid of any outside markings. Flipping up the tab you slip your fingers inside, finding a single piece of paper. You pull it out and begin to unfold it, your face cracking a hesitant smile as you see words on the inside. With the note completely unfurled you begin to read:

Dearest Jacqueline,

“Jacqueline...” you say aloud after realizing that this could very well be your name. You then gasp slightly realizing you are hearing your own voice for the "first" time - a smooth mezzo, not too deep or too high, yet at the same time containing a pleasing tone. Looking back to the letter, you read it aloud, getting a feeling for your voice as you do so:

Dearest Jacqueline,

Word of your deeds has already reached us here in Respeiro. You performed admirably as always and we praise you for your work. Now, events have been moving faster than we had anticipated; please head to Respeiro quickly, and immediately upon receiving this letter. This envelope contains four tickets: one from where you are now to Hangsmire, one from Hangsmire to Novo, Novo to Bayton, and then finally Bayton to Respeiro. Once there, make contact at the messaging station. Come prepared and be careful - those cities may be neutral but the citizenry aren’t necessarily so. Trust is a luxury you cannot afford. You know the rest and what needs to be done. Procure what you need using the money we have supplied you and make haste. And of course, may fate favor you in the events to come.

-J.

P.S. I wish I could’ve given you just one ticket but thanks to the Barons and their damn railroads, you’re stuck with four. Try not to lose any of them.

You finish reading the letter. You now have even more questions than answers. Still, after letting the words sink in you realize that all you have to do is make it to this “Respeiro”. Rolling the cities name around on your tongue you remember the tickets the note mentioned and set aside the note to continue your search through the bag. What you find, however, is far from anything made of paper.

It’s an object with an odd shape, possessing a slight curve on one side, but then straightening out to what looks like a long rod. It seems as though it is mostly made of some sort of metal, while the last bit sticking off the end is a dark polished wood. You hesitantly grasp it and find that this is what caused lifting the bag to be such an ordeal. Turning it around in your hands you study it, noticing intricate carvings on either side the metallic part. Examining it further still you look towards the wooden section, your hand instinctively grasping it. Whatever this is, your hand seems familiar with it. Perhaps it’s some sort of club? You notice a ring on the underside, as well as a small strip of metal that seems to protrude from the main body of the object. “Interesting...” You think to yourself.

You set the object back in the bag and continue your search.

Aha!

This time you find the tickets and just as the letter promised, there rest the names of the towns: Novo, Bayton, and Respeiro. Together with the one in your pocket that makes three in total, with the first one in the list missing. Setting the tickets back where you found them you continue taking inventory of the bag’s contents. While you don’t find paper, what you do find cracks a smile as you realize you have stumbled upon some coin! Gathering it up, you start to count. You reach about a hundred and continue on until a screech pierces the air and the black panes that are the car’s windows burst forth with light.

You shield your eyes, fumbling to place the money back into the bag before you lose any. You peek out slowly from behind your arm, blinking rapidly as you hear the screech, of what you assume to be the train’s whistle again. Squinting, you peer out of the window and see stonework columns whizz by you, supporting what looks to be a metal roof of sorts. The columns seem but a blur as they speed passed, yet you notice the pattern on them starting to become finer with each one. Suddenly it dawns on you that you’re slowing down. You gaze out all around trying to see something, but unfortunately, you are greeted by only more stone. A platform comes up along-side the train and then two more figures, one blue one silver pass by as well.

Realizing you are at a station you go into another flurry of activity, gathering up everything that you can find around you and setting it within the bag. As you pack you glance up and see that the train is up against a wall on its left side, allowing passengers to only enter and exit from the right side. You recall how long you were in that tunnel and wonder why it took so long.

You finally gather everything together as you lurch forward, your momentum continuing to carry you forward as the train comes to a halt. Catching yourself from falling you gaze outside again and see a simple stone floor, twenty-some feet in width, spanning the gap between the train and a massive wall. The wall travels upwards as far as you can see in your current position. Whether or not the light up above is from the sun or not, you cannot tell. The occasional stone archway opens up into the wall: black portals which seem almost forboding in their appearance as you strain to see anything but darkness passed their thresholds. As you continue to take in your surrounding your eyes fall upon a pale green sign with gold lettering: “Folkestone”.

It hangs above a white piece of parchment. Wedged between the wall and what appears to be a pane of glass you notice a multitude of lines, dots, and text scrawled over its surface. You think back for a moment, realizing that this isn’t mentioned anywhere in the note. Perhaps it’s in between stops? Is there something I need to take care of here? You turn back around to see if you’ve missed anything else- but you freeze as you see that your bag is no longer there.

Like a stone you sat there in shock... until you hear the slow hiss and click of the door to the next car sliding to a close and then latching shut. You bolt up and reach for the handle but hesitate as you think: “Whoever took my bag is back there, but what about Folkestone? If I don’t find the thief in time I may miss getting off. Do I even need to get off here? Either way can I go on without those tickets? And what about the rest of the bag’s contents?!

What do you do? (NOTE: You may add a small description to any of the primary choices)

A). Run after the thief.
B). Get off the train.

X). Other.

I realize these choices may be a bit "poor" but it's mostly still setting up for the main story.

Last edited:

Iwanako

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Re: Amarant: Unknown Path

A:
This stop is either pre-destination, which means plenty of time to club the thief, or post-destination and we're lost anyways, thus still have time to club the thief.
Just don't give the thief a bad case of 'dead' before inquiring as to why he/she thought it was a good idea to permanently borrow our stuff.
Besides, I know lots about trains, and the train staff will toss us out without a ticket. We don't want that.

ArchAngelGundam

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

A:
This stop is either pre-destination, which means plenty of time to club the thief, or post-destination and we're lost anyways, thus still have time to club the thief.
Just don't give the thief a bad case of 'dead' before inquiring as to why he/she thought it was a good idea to permanently borrow our stuff.
Besides, I know lots about trains, and the train staff will toss us out without a ticket. We don't want that.
+1.

OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Choice: A – Chase the Thief!
(Yes, a shorter entry! I know, the first one was a bit long...)

The letter didn’t mention anything about Folkestone: “there’s no reason to get off here,” you assure yourself. Pretty confident that the only issue now is the matter of getting your bag back you grasp the latch, twist, and pull. The door slides open with a hiss and you step through onto a metal platform. It sticks off the back of the car; two poles secure it to the roof as well as a ladder which looks to be used to gain access to the top of the train. There is one like it on the front of the next car as well.

You hop the small gap and open up the next door, quickly stepping through. The door closes behind you with a soft hiss and click as you look down the car. Empty. You deduce that the thief must be in the next car already. You bolt straight down the aisle, thankful that the heels on your boots are flat and short. Glancing to your left you see the platform is as vacant as the car. You wonder if this is why the thief chose this particular location. Hopefully, it’ll end up such that their mark is the flaw in their plan.

You make it to the next door and repeat the same process as with the last one. This time upon arriving at the other side, however, you see the car has an occupant. An elderly gentleman in a uniform and cap sits on the seat closest to the door. He’s a small man, hunched over with a grey moustache, looking out the window with squinted eyes. His uniform is black with a silver trim and bears a small symbol on his chest. He turns his gaze from the window upon noticing you, cracking a small smile.

“Ma’am” he says, with a slow tip of his cap.

You conclude he is part of the crew that mans the train and not the thief.

Did someone come running through here recently?” you ask him.

The old man then looks up, furrowing his brow, and lets out a long protracted breath as though you had asked him a riddle. He shifts about slowly and brings his hand up to his moustache, stroking it as he contemplates an answer. You begin to wonder if the man is all there. He seems to have finally come up with an answer but you are already off, dashing down the car. For the third time you open the door, hop to the next platform, and slide open the door to the next car. This time however, there is a bit more than a simple old man here.

Three figures are before you: A tall blonde man wearing a blue cloak and ruffled shirt; a knight clad in armor from head to toe with a blue cloak, of the same design as the man’s, draped around their waist down to his calves; and in the knight’s grasp: a girl. She possesses short, brown, shoulder-length hair that curls outward on the edges, a sharp face, and, clutched to her chest, a small bag.

Hey!” You shout, “That’s my bag!” raising a finger at the girl.

“Oh?” the blonde man asks, turning to you. “Glad to see my instincts were right. When I saw this little one running down the aisle, bag clutched as such, I just refused to believe that she was running from some hooligan trying to steal it from her.”

“I’m not little…” the girl adds in, eyes looking down at the ground.

“Yes, yes. Of course not. Anyway, I decided to temporarily detain her. If a brutish fiend stepped through that door I would have been proved wrong and have been ready and willing to defend the distraught maiden…”

He takes a few small steps towards you, extending his arms out as though he is being adorned on stage. He then stops and directs his arms out towards you.

“But, seeing as how a well-to-do lady such as you is standing before me, I am right. Again.”

The blonde man then turns toward the armored individual, nodding to him and extending an open hand toward you. The knight, keeping a firm grip on the girl’s collar, grabs the bag with their other hand and yanks it away from her. He then extends his arm out towards you, offering the bag. You tentatively take it from the imposing figure, latching it shut and then slinging it onto your shoulder.

You look back to the thief. It seems she's just a girl, barely out of her teens. Although it's hard to judge her size with the tower of metal next to her, you'd guess she's just over five feet. You can see she is dressed in loose pants but you can't see much of her torso because of a gray cloak draped over her shoulders. what you do see is a leather jerkin, bound together with belts and what looks to be a bandolier of sorts, with a few small pouches sewn along its length. Her hair still prevents you from getting an idea for her race, though she appears o be either human or elvish.

With your bag returned to you the blonde man turns back to you with a smile and a slight bow. His expression then becomes more solemn as he looks back to the knight and gives a quick nod. The knight then shifts his grasp to the girl’s forearm, and moves towards one of the car doors opposite the platform. He forces it open and lifts the girl up, shoving her up against the wall just outside the train, pinning her by her forearm. The girl gives out a small cry at the impact, her face contorting with pain. Yes, she did steal from you, but you are worried where this is going.

“Seeing as how we are in a Dwarven city, I suppose the Dwarven punishment for thievery will suffice.” The man then makes a small gesture toward the knight who then pulls out his sword. The girl lets out a cry of fear upon seeing the unsheathed blade and begins desperately clawing at the knight’s arm in an attempt to free her own. Tears well in her eyes and her legs jerk downward trying desperately to use her weight to gain freedom. The knight’s grip, however, remains secure.

“Remember, just the hand, now.”

The knight brings back his arm up across his chest so that the blade is over his shoulder, ready to fly straight over his other arm onto its mark.

What do you do?

A) Stop them and let the girl go. The girl has learned her lesson and won’t be stealing again anytime soon.
B) Let it continue: no one steals from you.
C) Stop them, but make sure she knows not to steal again

X) Other.

Note:
Here I've given you choice "C" as a freebie but it is an example of a choice I may expect you guys to come up with later on. Further down the road this post may have only ended with choices A and B. You're welcome (Dare I say encouraged?) to try to come up with innovative solutions to problems or seek diplomatic routes toward engagements using whatever tools are at your disposal to try and gain different rewards, options, or even access to different paths. Given the nature of this site I'm sure you gentlemen, and ladies, understand what that can entail.

In a way... you, dear readers, possess the same knowledge about this world the protagonist does. I'll try my best to foster the illusion that you're in her shoes, but beware of such pitfalls such as the "Unreliable narrator". Also, because I'm nice: Sometimes the diplomatic or reckless route may not always work to your advantage. Of course, I'll always try to be fair with my descriptions and try to avoid having anything fly out of left field and completely blind-side you. Then again... I may not. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Iwanako

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Hmm, I am suffering from a severe lack of detail about the thief.
Is she tiny as in "small", tiny as in "young", tiny as in "weak", is she human, elf, dwarven, zombie, alien?

As for options: I'd talk to the chivalrous knight to propose a different punishment: She gets to be our aide(For a little while, or maybe permanent if she proves useful) in exchange for her keeping her hand(s). Just make sure that if she decides in more extra-curricular activities, ye olde punishment still stands.

Why?
As far as I know, we're still pretty much suffering from a severe case of cluelessness, have no idea about the lay of the land(s), and are for all intents and purposes oblivious to the current ways of the world.
Giving her the option to keep some rather...handy appendages intact in exchange for getting us up to speed seems fair.
In addition: If she's a bitch the whole time, we can cut her loose witout us losing anything.
If she's useful and willing: Follower get!
If she tries something funny: We ask for the knight to sign a paper detailing her punishment, if she misbehaves...Off with her head!, ehh...hand.

Just lay it thick with the two men, we're new here, she's probably a first-offender for being this clumsy, and so we show our angelic side for offering her a way out by being a good little girl.

Addendum:
Actually, minor note: Inquire -politely- as to why she decided to steal from us. If she honestly admits that she's poor or some other menial reason, we can certainly cut her that slack. If we suspect she lies or the answer doesn't satisfy us, the deal is off.

Why this final part?
> If she's just poor or something, we can accomodate her by paying her a wage of sorts for helping us, possibly cementing her loyalty should she prove useful. Should she lie or give a disappointing answer...We really don't want a cheap backstabber as our aide, and we hand her over to the cops/knight.
And why ask politely? If we'd force her, chances of a lie approach 100%, by asking politely, she might not see it as judgement of sorts, giving more reliable chances of a satisfactory answer.

Well, lot of text, but that's what I deem turning a potential loss into a gain for everyone.

OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

No story just Author's Notes.

I was quite worried seeing a wall of text such as that, but I'm actually quite happy to see such interest in the story.

I'm sure it's somewhat obvious but the more complex the solution the more time it may take until I post again (As I also wait to see how others feel about your idea as well as writing the next passage). That statement may sound discouraging, even selfish to a point, but au contraire: it provides a challenge for me as an amateur (See word: "New") writer and involves you guys with the story even more. However, if something conflicts with the narrative too much I may be forced to bend the choice a bit. NOTE: Not that this choice is anywhere close to that - I've actually already "crafted" a rough draft for how this would fit into the story, so please, don't worry that having her as a temporary follower would be an issue.

Also, as far as acquiring information about the world, funny you should mention that... all in due time, my friend.
I also fully own up to the mistake of leaving out a few key details.

Last edited:

Bloodshifter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

B

She stole and she deserves Punishment harsh yes but I see no other choice.

Iwanako

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

No story just Author's Notes.
I was quite worried seeing a wall of text such as that, but I'm actually quite happy to see such interest in the story.

I'm sure it's somewhat obvious but the more complex the solution the more time it may take until I post again (As I also wait to see how others feel about your idea as well as writing the next passage). That statement may sound discouraging, even selfish to a point, but au contraire: it provides a challenge for me as an amateur (See word: "New") writer and involves you guys with the story even more. However, if something conflicts with the narrative too much I may be forced to bend the choice a bit. NOTE: Not that this choice is anywhere close to that - I've actually already "crafted" a rough draft for how this would fit into the story, so please, don't worry that having her as a temporary follower would be an issue.

Also, as far as acquiring information about the world, funny you should mention that... all in due time, my friend.

That's certainly good to hear, however the 'problem' with purely following from the mc's perspective is that everything needs to be conveyed.
Let's pick my post as an example for this.

I'm hinting about hiring the girl with no clues other than her hair coloring and style. For all I know she could literally be a zombie with a wig(Which would make me seriously reconsider my offer to hire her if it were the case). While generic people (e.g. bad guy #45 in a grand melee for instance) wouldn't really need a description, this woman/girl might just be at the least involved in a post or two(And if I get my way she's in for the long haul).

And blood, how can you be so heartless? That's really, really mean.

Edit: after the clarification in the post, I'm convinced she's not a zombie with a wig, and support my recruitment attempt 100%

Last edited:

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

C seems reasonable.

CatPaws

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

A

We turn her into our... Lady in Waiting? Fancy term for female butler? Can't remember the term, but what ever it is that's what we turn her into. She tried to steal from us, now she has to work off her wrong. After all, how does her getting her hand chopped off help us? Besides, it's gross. =.=

OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

The knight stands there ready to deal out the girl’s punishment, the man looks away, turning from the blood about to be spilled, and the girl hangs there in defeat.

You are lost. You are also ignorant of your past and much of this world, but you still know mercy and compassion. This girl does not deserve this.

“STOP!” You shout at the knight as his arms flies.

A loud clang rings out as steel hits stone and you hear the girl cry out. The air is tense, and you stand there in disbelief. You thought you were too late but you see that the knight’s blade has struck the wall above the girl’s hand. She is silent now, hand clenched and arm trembling. The knight continues to stand there, sword and captive against the wall.

You reacted out of compassion for the girl. However, you don’t know what to do now. You stand there, an awkward air lingering between the four of you. Thoughts race through your head of the girl and the fate that was about to befall her; she stole from you, yes, but you think about how she would continue on without something such as vital to her as a hand. You think of yourself and how crippled you are in this world without your memories and empathize with the girl. Then an idea comes to you: you’re not sure if you had a knack for solutions such as this before, but you think of a way to solve her punishment and your problem. You take a step towards the knight.

“I- I will choose the girl’s punishment.” You state to the pair with as much confidence as you can muster.
“She… she will accompany me until I see fit to let her leave.”

The knight remains still as if unaffected by your words, the man however cracks a smile, his eyes squinting as he seems genuinely happy with your choice. There is something else there too as he looks at you; you’re unsure of what it is. He then crosses his arms and cocks his head sideways and toward the knight, his torso remaining fixed.

“Well… you heard her. Bring her back in.” And with that the knight lowers his sword, sheathing it, and brings the girl back into the car. He sets her down on the floor and slides the door shut. The girl, a little bit of panic still noticeable in her breath, crumples to the floor hunched over. She grabs her forearm and strokes it gently, either rubbing the sore skin she was being held by or contemplating the fate she was almost dealt. Perhaps a little bit of both. She looks up at you, a surprisingly stoic expression on her face.

“Thank you”, she says, trying her best to stand. The knight doesn’t move but you can almost sense his eyes following her movements underneath the visor, making sure she doesn’t bolt out of the car.

She seems fine for the most part. You’re actually quite surprised at how fast she seems to have recovered. The four of you stand there, the occasional sniffle coming from the thief. Eventually the man in blue steps forward and nonchalantly places a hand on the shoulder of both you and the girl. He raises his eyebrows, and speaks in an almost cheerful manner:

“Well, now that everything has calmed down, perhaps we can go and sit down for a bit? The train is about to depart and I’ve been standing on that platform for so very long.”

No sooner does he say this that a loud whistle pierces the air. You look to him and then to the girl, who meets your gaze. Her eyes seem furtive at first, seeming as though it hurts to look at you for too long, but eventually you notice the faintest of smiles and she nods. Seeing this, the man leads you and the girl down the aisle. The knight stays behind to close the door to the platform, and then brings up the rear. As you walk down you grab your bag and shift it around; given its weight it feels as though nothing is missing. You would definitely know if that metal object was taken.

You continue to walk until you reach a section at the end where the two benches face each other. The man in blue turns, his back to the car door he gives a small bow and extends his right arm out in a gesture for the two of you to sit down.

“Ladies…”

The girl stands still. You can’t see her eyes but you feel as though she is matching his gaze, studying him. Eventually she moves towards the seat against the wall and slides to the end. You follow suit and sit down on the adjacent bench, about to set your bag down on the seat, but reconsider after a bit, deciding to simply set it on your lap. Now that the two of you have sat down he moves to sit down as well, rearranging his cloak so as not to sit on it.

As he does so, you finally get a chance to get a better look at him and notice that he does, in fact, have slight points on his ears. He, too, is an elf. He possesses blonde hair that is tied back behind his head into a ponytail of sorts and looks to go about a third of the way down his back. He has an intricate golden design embroidered into the majority of his dark red clothes. He wears a white dress shirt that has a bit of ruffled cloth hanging from the neck, and of course, draped over his shoulders a light-blue cloak that appears to be emblazoned with some sort of golden bird. Just before he drapes his cloak back over his lap you catch sight of a blade attached to his hip as well as some other object, but you’re unable to identify what it is; it looks to be made of some sort of metal with a bit of wood and leather as well.

As for the knight however, you are not sure about anything really. You don’t have any hints as to his race. The armor itself IS the knight as far as what little you know, and what else you do know is that he is obedient and very strong.

As if sensing your thoughts, he looks down at you as he passes and then turns his back to the wall. His armor is hard to describe, consisting of mostly smooth curves, the silver metal covers every inch of his body. You can see the same cloak the blonde elf has hanging from his shoulders hanging from the knight’s hips, circling around his lower body, and parting only enough to reveal his right leg. He looks back up and brings his hands together at his front, standing in place. From the look of his visor it doesn’t appear as though he can see all that well, but you have the uncanny feeling that anyone who tries to take advantage of this supposed weakness would be proven quite wrong. Another whistle cuts the air and the train slowly but surely starts to move.

“And we’re off!” the man says still smiling.

You look back to the thief and see that she is fine. Chin resting against her palm she gazes out the window in silence as the train enters the tunnel and the room darkens, bathed once again in that dark golden hue.

………………………………………………………….

After a while a conductor comes by to check tickets. You reach into your pocket and are relieved when he nods and hands it back to you. This means you’re still on the way to Novo. Hopefully it’s the next town on the line. When he asks for the thief’s ticket the elf simply reaches under his cloak and shows a slip of paper. Without a word the conductor gives him a small bow and then continues on, the knight stepping aside to allow him passage. After a couple more seconds of sitting there in silence you decide to finally break it.

“So… I never actually got any of your names.”

“Lyn” the thief says without even looking up, continuing to look out the window despite the darkness of the tunnel. The man, smile still on his face, raises an eyebrow at her response. Shrugging, he then turns to you.

“The name is Raphael. Yes, I know: strange name for an Elf, but alas, my parents were strange ones. It’s actually proven quite useful when traveling. You wouldn’t believe how some people treat elves. Well, perhaps you would… but I digress. The one clad in the exorbitant amount of steel is Alex. And your name, m’lady?”

“J… Jacqueline” you respond, somewhat hesitantly, as you’re still somewhat unsure if that truly is your name.

“Such a lovely name. Very fitting for such a maiden.”

You think about your current situation and considering the girl’s silence and Raphael’s… lack thereof, you decide now might be a good time to get a few answers.

“Um, Raphael?”

He looks up, that same smile plastered across his face.

“Yes, Jacqueline?”

“I’m not exactly… um, well-traveled. In fact all this, the train, and well, everything is a bit…” You try to think of the right word. “…new to me.”

Raphael’s smile actually fades for once, his brow furrowing as he looks a bit puzzled. He brings his hand up, slowly moving in such a way that makes him seem to be thinking of an answer to riddle. You hope you didn’t reveal your complete lack of any knowledge of the world. Lyn turns around, leaning forward a bit to get a glance at Raphael’s expression, grinning slightly and exhaling a bit at his confusion. She is taken back a bit though as he speaks up abruptly.

“Oh! You’re… oh, what are they called?” He inhales with a sharp hiss as though straining himself for the knowledge. He also snaps his fingers as though that will make what he’s trying to remember come to mind.

“Fae!” he shouts out as he points a finger at you, his face lighting up with yet another smile.

You aren’t exactly sure what he’s talking about and your expression begins to betray you for your ignorance. He then continues on, somewhat unsure of himself now.

“You are one of the Faelorn Eir, yes? I know sometimes it might be hard to admit it, but you’ve taken the first step on your pilgrimage, yes? What is your goal? What are you searching for beyond all else? What glorious knowledge do you seek?!”

You have no idea what he’s talking about but you decide to go along with it, for now, and answer him truthfully: “I’m trying to find out who I am.”

“Oooooh! How cryptic, I love it! A search for one’s place in the world is always a worthy goal!” He rests back against the seat and crosses his legs as he goes on.

“The world is scary, yes, I know. But I am a fellow Elf. I may not have been as isolated and sheltered as you’ve been all your life, before you left your home, but let me assure you I can sympathize! Before I entered my line of work I went out into the world terrified and afraid but I soon embraced it! Now, no matter where I go I feel as though I can bargain for a good price on any service, acquire goods that no normal person could find, and sometimes even find my ways into the beds of some very lovely individuals.”

You can see Lyn’s reflection in the window grin and roll her eyes upon hearing of Raphael’s “exploits”. You smile and chuckle at her reaction, although Raphael takes this as a sign to go on.

“Oh, that is not all. It’s my job to-“ You then notice the knight deliver a small kick to his seat, cutting him off. With a small sigh and a “harrumph” he continues:

“Anyway, let us just say I’m well acquainted and have a vast knowledgeable about the world.” He then crosses his arms seeming quite happy with himself.

Something tells you that his ego should also be added to his list of things that are “vast”, as well as his pension for going on about himself. Although, if he does know as much as he says he does and if he’s really willing to help you then he could prove quite useful. You decide to keep playing along as a Fae, at least for now.

“Actually, Raphael, I was curious if I could, perhaps, ask you a few questions.”

He immediately uncrosses his legs and leans forward with his elbows on his thighs. If he leaned any closer it would be a little uncomfortable.

“Oh?”

“Yes, I was curious if I could ask you a few questions about the world. As you are well aware: a… Fae such as myself may need a bit of information if I’m to succeed on my pilgrimage.” You’re not sure if you were this good at lying before but you don’t question it.

“But of course! I will try my best to answer any and all questions! Hopefully I can give you the answers you need before the next stop.”

He then crosses his arms again, resting back against the seat, listening…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Author's NOTE:

Alright, here is your chance to get a little bit of information. Go ahead and "ask" your questions.
But please, ONE per PERSON, if you would be so kind. Although, I suppose, if one or two other people were to post after you, you could go again. Also, try to phrase it like a question.

I'll leave this one open for a while to let you guys think about it and to let some people who rarely log in get a chance... although, I wouldn't take too long: You only have so much time before the next stop...

I'd usually leave a tip or note here about what to ask, but oh well! I'll simply tell you guys to "be smart!"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited:

Iwanako

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Produce the train tickets and inquire as to what any of them call tell us about the cities we're headed for.(End destination and transit points preferably)

Why?
> It would not only benefit us in terms of quickly finding the other train stations, but knowing wether the populace is pro/anti-elf, in a war with <insert faction here>, is in lockdown/a blizzard/permanently on fire, et cetera

ArchAngelGundam

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

What races are we likely to encounter on the trip and what are they like?

Iwanako

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

As requested:

Introduction time:

Ask them about themselves, starting with our newly acquired teammate.
Might not be the most helpful question, but it does come across as polite by showing interest in other people.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I concur with Rose. Ask about Raphael a bit.

OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

As Raphael leans back you start to formulate a couple questions in your head. You aren’t sure of how much time you have left so you decide to start with the cities you’ll be visiting.

“Here, I had some questions concerning the cities we’ll be visiting…”

You flip the latch holding your bag closed and begin to shuffle through it for the tickets. Lyn turns away from the window as you do so, seeming mildly interested in the contents of your bag. Alex, the knight, also moves a bit. You guess even the he has a bit of curiosity. You remind yourself of the stops: Novo, Bayton, and Respeiro. You find the one leading from Bayton to Respeiro and the one from Novo to Bayton, but you can’t seem to find the last one. Shuffling a bit more around the coins and what few paper notes there are, you realize that you left the ticket to Novo in your pocket. You take it out of your pocket and feel these should suffice. You latch the bag again and hand the three tickets to Raphael. Lyn turns back to the window apparently no longer interested now that your bag is closed.

“I am traveling to a town called Respeiro. I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about the cities between here and there.”

Raphael takes the tickets, looking first at the one leading to Novo. He turns it over, and quickly dismisses it as though he’s seen what’s on it a hundred times beforehand. He does the same with the second ticket, but when he looks at the one to Respeiro his eyes widen a bit.

“Well, now. Someone is certainly traveling in style on the Coastal Line. 1st Class, eh? Well, it is the longest of the lines I can see why you’d pay for such.”

He stops for second thinking to himself.

“Or rather, whoever set you up for your journey wants to make sure you’re in style.”

Yet again he stops, looking at you, seeming as though he is studying you.

“You did say you were Fae, yes? Your face looks a little fuller than most elves. You look practically human compared to how gaunt Elf’s faces usually are!

You’re a bit worried that he’s seen through your ruse at this point but you’re relived when he lets out a bit of a laugh.

“Haha. Or maybe they fed you well in your camp! Either way, you still look beautiful m’lady.” He adds a slight bow so as to show he doesn’t mean any offense. He then calms down, clearing his throat and waving his hand through the air.

“Anyway, let us return to the matter at hand. You said Respeiro, yes? Well, you’ll be happy to know you’re about just a day away if you go straight from one train to another. Novo lies next in the line. Do you know anything of these cities?”

Your eyes become furtive at the question but you quickly look back to him and shake your head.

“Well then. Novo, Bayton, and Respeiro, you’ll be happy to know, are neutral cities. Sorry, city-states rather, who conduct a lot of trade. Not sure how learned you are of history but when the last war was going on Goblins, Orcs, elves, and whoever else who agreed to help fought to overthrow the former regime. They won and now these three cities are, or rather, were Goblin plutocracies. Oh, sorry, they’re ruled by those with the most money.” He says, simplifying the term for you.

"For two cities, Repeiro and Bayton, this lasted for a very short time, the pirates taking over Bayton, and the revolution's leaders setting up in Respeiro as nobles. Novo is really the only Goblin-ruled city anymore."

He hands the tickets he still had in his possession back to you and then continues after you’ve placed them in your pocket.

“Novo conducts most of its trade with the Dwarves while Bayton and Respeiro deal with anyone who has a port. It’s actually quite humorous: When the goblins got Bayton it was called Camaritime. The goblins, as well as the pirates who piled in, didn’t care for a human name so they simply called it Bay-Town, although it is more colloquially known as “Bayton” nowadays.”

You let out a small chuckle at the piece of trivia and he continues on with a smile:

“Ah, let’s see… Bayton is actually more of an outlaw’s paradise. Thieves, vagabonds, pirates; they all call Bayton home. It has no real government per se, more of a live and let live policy among its citizenry. Novo and Respeiro however are much more, let us say… civilized. The barons there control the rail lines, each spreading outward from the city and ending at Bayton. Thus, the reason you can’t take a train straight from Novo to Respeiro: Respeiro controls the “Coastal Line” while Novo controls the “Mist Line”, which we are on now. It is named such for the area it skirts on its journey.”

“And what area is that?” you ask not wanting to miss any crucial details.

“That would be the Hazelands. Nobody is sure what happened there. It could’ve been caused by a botched curse or some special human weapon devised for the war. Either way, I would not recommend it as a tourist locale. That reminds me I really have to visit…..” He rambles off topic about some brothel in Bayton but you pay it no mind.

You are a little bit curious about these Hazelands, but you decide to stick to more pressing concerns. You’re rather alarmed to hear “Goblin Cities”. Can such a thing can exist you wonder. What little memories you have of these green beings is not pleasant but you can’t discern any clear details. You decide it may behoove you to inquire about the denizens of these cities.

“Actually, Raphael…” You say, interrupting him. He stops, visibly flustered, and then recomposes himself, ready for your next question.

“You mentioned Golbins, actually Goblin cities to be precise. When I arrive will there really be nothing but goblins there? What races am I likely to encounter?” you ask, a bit nervous.

Raphael smiles, chuckling to himself a bit, and puts on a calming expression,

“No, no, Goblins are not the only race. Theses "Goblin Cities" are hardly such anymore, and are actually filled with many a different race. Novo itself is an alchemical hotspot; dwarves, elves, goblins, and sometimes even humans and orcs come from far to learn there. With the Hazelands to the south, the ocean to the west, the forest to the east, and the caverns that surround the city, there is no shortage of reagents. Goblins make up only a small portion of the local population, a small part of many different races and cultures. As a general rule, though, you’ll probably see more Elves and humans in Respeiro, more Goblins in Novo, and more Orcs in Bayton. Although, I will say, every person has their prejudices... please, do not assume everyone is ready to treat an elf with respect. In fact, if anyone from Bayton does, you may just want to raise your guard even more.”

You make a mental note of this as you hear the train’s whistle go off.

“Ah, good. We’re just about ten minutes out. Hopefully the knowledge I’ve armed you with will not prove useless.” Raphael says, smiling, yet again, and bending at the waist, trying his best to bow while sitting.” You return the smile and then speak again:

“Yes, thank you. I’m sure it will come in handy. But, if I may, could I ask about the two of you?” You motion to Raphael and the thief. Lyn, once again, looks up from the window,

“Yeah? What do ya wanna know?” she asks. You can tell from her tone that she disapproves any notion of divulging details about herself, but also that she realizes she’s not in a position to argue. You’re unsure of what to ask, but eventually settle on asking her to give a general background.

“Well, let’s see: I’m an only child, I live on my own, I make a decent living in Folkestone, and I’m also a princess who ran away from home.” … it’s apparent she’s not one to talk. You push a little more though, hoping to understand something about this girl:

“Oh, come on, surely you can be a little more sociable?”

She gives you a look, but eventually her features soften as she gives in.

“Alright, the last bit was a lie. Surprise, surprise. I’m simply a girl whose hit a bit of a hard time and down on her luck. Used to apprentice to a dwarven smith. Not a blacksmith mind you: more of a mechanical genius. We’d make fantastic devices. Clocks, little motorized gadgets, sometimes a few of those new weapons coming about that can hurl metal like a lightning bolt, but he was mixed up in some shady dealings. Guard’s came and took’m just yesterday. I came to the station because they were apparently after me as well. That’s when we ran into each other if I recall correctly.” She’s looking down at the ground at this point and you can’t help but feel a little sympathy for her.

“So, you stole my bag to either get a ticket or have enough money to get one, and then leave Folkestone?” as you put the pieces together.

“That’s the gist of it. Knew I couldn’t stay. Not when they was thinking I was mixed up in the same stuff that he is. You were given a firsthand look in how the dwarves deal with crime…” tilting her head and glaring at Raphael who, for once, declined the chance to speak up.

“So, yeah, not much to do now but go on my way and hope I can make it somewhere else.”

“I see…” You think about her situation a little more, silence falling over the conversation once again. A couple moments go by and then Lyn pipes up:

“So, what’s your story, Blondie?” she asks, turning to Raphael. “She wanted to know a bit about you as well. You don’t want to disappoint “M’Lady”, do you?” Lyn putting a bit of emphasis on M’Lady as to take a small jab at Raphael. Raphael, however, simply ignores her and turns back to you.

“Well, I’m…” he trails off, unsure of what to say. You’re surprised he doesn’t have a speech detailing his deeds ready to go.

“Well, I’m an observer of sorts. A Historian if you will. You could say it is my job to go from country to country and… take in every event that occurs, what certain aristocrats think of other individuals, and make note of any incidents in regard to the well-being and interest of countries, governments, and select individuals.” He then stops, leaning back and gesturing with his arms in a motion as to say “That’s it”.

You’re not exactly sure if that was the answer you were looking for, but whether or not he’s willing to go on any further is irrelevant as the train’s whistle blows again and the car is flooded with light. You squint as your eyes adjust from the soft golden light of the lights above to that of the white light of the sun. You blink a couple times and get a view of Novo:

The train’s platform is almost right next to what looks like the city’s bazaar. You gasp as you see the sight. Many different races all walking around mingling and flowing all at once. Elves, Goblins, Dwarves, as well as the occasional human. Buildings line either side of the square, in a myriad of colors; grey, brown, brick-red, sickly yellow, and white marble. Some of them have open areas underneath for people to walk through, the upper levels supported by columns. You continue to gaze out at the crowd as the train comes to a stop.

“Alright! Here we are.” You hear Raphael say with a bit of excitement in his voice. “Ladies…” You turn and see that he is already standing, his arm extended outwards down the aisle towards the nearest door.

You stand up and turn to see Lyn do so as well. You start walking down the aisle with Lyn in tow, followed by Raphael and the knight, Alex. You turn to the right and take what you could consider your first step off the train…

You smell the air. It’s fresher than you’d expect with all these people here. There’s also something you can’t place, though. It’s subtle but you can feel it permeate the air. Whatever it is, you ignore it for now and gaze out past the threshold of the gates to the platform and out towards the bazaar. You see elves perusing the stalls of food and drink. Goblins stepping upon provided stools to gaze at dozens of vials, a vast array of different colored fluids. A couple of orcs pouring over maps and navigational charts. It truly is a wondrous sight.

Raphael then comes up next to you, leaning in a bit, he whispers into your ear.

“I don’t know how you came into possession of it and I don’t care, but I’d rather not have you go around not knowing what it is.” He then grabs your hand and slips a couple coins into your palm. “Use this. Find a place here by the name of Flint & Tinder’s and tell them that Twitch sent you.”

He then walks away and raises his arms outward as he turns back to you and Lyn.

“Well, here we are! And now that we are here, I bid you ladies farewell.” He says, bringing his arm down in front and bowing to you and Lyn.

You are taken back a bit by this, realizing that there will be no one to guard Lyn.

“You’re leaving? But… I can’t watch over her by myself, can I?” You then look to her, but she shakes her head and raises her hands in a motion that says: Hey, don’t look at me. I’m not going to steal from you again.

He rises back up, shrugging.

“I’m truly sorry, but I have important business to attend to. Surely she won’t try anything again.” As he gives her a stern look. “Now, get along you two. Oh, and Jacqueline… I know this may be a bit new, even intimidating, for you, but please, enjoy yourself. This world has a lot to offer. You may have to go to Respeiro but, please, live a little along the way. Indulge a bit. Have fun. I know I do in my spare time!” His grin broadening into a huge smile as he says this.

“Don’t forget what I’ve told you on the train and here on this platform. Now go on:

“Amarant awaits.”

-Introduction End-

Well! Now that THAT is over...

*sings "Exposition, exposition... push it out, ASAP" to the melody of Beethoven's 9th*

Next post will be up after a bit of shut-eye - It's been a long night.

Last edited:
OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Chapter 1: Novo

“Perhaps we will meet again.”

And with that Raphael turned around and left, the knight, Alex, following behind him. And so there the two of you were left there. You glance at Lyn, wondering how you can simply make her stay with you. You’re still devoid of a great deal of information about this city, let alone the world, and now you wonder if this girl will be trouble. She looks back at you.

“Would you stop that? I’m not seeking any sort of revenge or whatever from you. If anything, I owe you for saving my hand. I’m nobody’s “aide”, though, I will help you a bit, but after that I’m gone, got it?” She says, narrowing her eyes and leaning towards you.

“Y- yeah, okay.” You say, stuttering a bit. You know that if she really wants to leave you can’t really force her to stay short of wounding her severely, but you question whether or not you can really do such a thing to her or even if you’d want to. You think back to what Raphael said before he left and you realize you still have the money in your hand. You pocket it and then recall what you need to take care of.

The note said to come prepared and Raphael mentioned a place by the name of Flint & Tinder’s. You have no idea where anything is in this city, but Lyn may have an idea. You decide to ask her, hoping she’ll agree to help.

“Lyn,” You call, as you realize she has wandered away from you a bit. She turns around, cocking her head a bit.

“Yeah?”

“I was wondering if you knew where a place by the name of “Flint and Tinder’s” is around here. Actually I need quite a few things… although I’m not sure what to get. I assume a change of clothes may be in order. Maybe even a weapon? I’m not quite sure what I’ll need for the road ahead. Do you know anything of Novo?”

She looks at you for a few seconds longer before reaching under her cloak and pulling out a small slender rod. It looks to be metal and no longer than six or seven inches, thinning down to a point, which has a strange shape on the end. She starts twirling it in her fingers as she paces back and forth between you and a nearby bench, looking out into the city. Without breaking a motion she speaks:

“Novo is mostly safe. If you’re approached on the street ignore them. If you need supplies go to a brick and mortar store; most of them will have regulated prices… most of them. Rooms are available in the tavern: “The Green Marquis Inn”. There.”

She points towards a gaudy looking building on the corner and then continues.

“Gypsies are mostly trustworthy; just make sure there’s only one and that they aren’t surrounding you. Goblins like money. A lot. A little coin and they’ll bend over backwards. Same thing applies to most dwarves; just make sure they don’t hate you first. Avoid orcs in general. Half-orcs are okay. Elves should be fine for you, and humans are wildcards. These are general rules and will sometimes have exceptions.”

She stops and then turns and then walks up to you making sure she has your attention before she continues her “lesson”.

Flint & Tinder’s is off that road.” She points over towards the bazaar and makes sure you see an alley leading off the main square.

“You want to turn onto Mint Road and it will be on the left. An alchemist’s shop should be further down the road and down the first alley on the right. As for clothes, you can find them at Flint’s as well as the general trader. If you do head there you may also want to trade in your bag for a pack of some kind. Also, the shop-keep there can be a handful, but his stock is always interesting.”

She then grabs your shoulder and nudges you a bit, pointing to your immediate right.

“You’ll find the trader down that alley. Just don’t wander too far down that path or you’ll end up in Balkton. It’s pretty much the slum of the town.”

She then steps aside and puts herself next to you so you are looking down her arm as she points at a small building set up just outside the gates to the train platform. It’s octagonal in shape and has a tiled roof, which slants down from a point.

“There is the ticket vendor for the train. There you can find the times for when the trains should arrive and depart. You might also be able to procure a bit more information there as well.”

She then takes a step back from you and crosses her arms.

“Well, that should be about it…” She trails off, looking down, and starts spinning the metallic object again. She stands there for a bit, pondering something, before she extends her arm, offering the metal rod to you.

“Here,” she says as you accept it. “That should come in handy if you ever need to get into something. Not sure if you know how to use one, but hey, broaden your horizons. Get some more skills under your belt.”

You examine it more closely and ask: “What is it?” Lyn, a little baffled, stammers a bit.

“Well, it’s… it’s a lock-pick. You can open doors, chests, what have you. That one should serve you well. A friend made it for me but don’t worry, I have more. It should act as your off-diamond, ball, short hook, medium hook, snake, and saw. Just… take the back end off and use that for torque. The main part will change to what you need. Trust me.”

Sure enough you tug on the end and a small rod with an “L” shaped bend comes out. You have a vague idea how it’ll work but you’ll probably need a bit of practice to make real use of it. You turn back towards Lyn and thank her, putting the lock-pick back together and putting it in your bag.

Lyn looks down, a bit of a downcast expression on her face. She then moves towards you and embraces you, edging up onto her toes to make it easier. You are taken a bit off guard at the gesture but eventually smile and wrap your arms around her as well.

“Thanks… again.” She says as she finally lets go after a couple more seconds. Her face lightens up with a smile as she lets out a small chuckle.

“Heh, feels weird saying that. Not used to thanking anyone in my line of work. Still, no hard feelings, eh?” She asks as she extends her hand.

You’re hesitant at first. This girl isn’t exactly a trustworthy sort but you feel as though she no longer considers you a mark. You smile and nod, extending your hand and shaking hers.

“I’m glad. Also, here…”

She reaches into her cloak once again, fiddling around a bit and eventually revealing a small dagger. It’s sheathed in a black leather scabbard and possesses a blade about nine inches long. You take it, examining the brown swood of the hilt. You unsheathe it and find that the blade has two edges on either side. You don’t need to feel it to know it can cut.

“It’s a dirk. It’s not much but it’ll get you out of a situation where a little show of force is necessary. It’s also not bad for warding off the occasional thief.” She says, letting out a small giggle. “Hopefully this will make us even. Even with what I’m about to do.”

You finish examining the blade and sheathe it; looking back up to Lyn… only to find that she is no longer there. You look around, twisting your body, eventually looking all the way around you in a full circle. She’s gone. Almost as though she were never here at all. You sigh, admitting defeat. Maybe it’s for the best. She’ll find her own way… hopefully.

You take the dagger and finding that you have no belt to strap it to you open up your bag and set it inside. As you do so your eye lands on the unknown metallic object that’s been in your bag since the beginning of this journey. It’s then that you remember what Raphael said. This must be what he was talking about. You pick it up and turn it around, the hollow pipe on the end catching a bit of light as you do so. Short of clubbing someone over the head with it, you wonder what it is about this thing that could be so dangerous.

You place it back in your bag and then reach into your pocket to stow your tickets in there as well. You pull out one: The ticket leading from Bayton to Respeiro. A bit confused you reach in again, feeling around with your hand for the one leading out of this city. As you check your other pockets it suddenly dawns on you… When you were hugging Lyn. In the end you were a successful mark.

Your anger starts to rise. You think of what you’ll do to her during your next encounter while looking down into your bag at the dagger. Your anger subsides, though, replaced with defeat and embarrassment. You’re reminded of how it was Lyn that gave you this very blade, as well as the lock-pick. Perhaps she felt as though she couldn’t completely steal from you? Either way, you now have something else on your list of items to procure. Hopefully you have enough time and, now that you think about it, enough money.

You reach into your pocket and count out the money Raphael gave you: Fifty in total. Now that you think about it, you’re not sure what the money is called. You ponder it for a bit before deciding that “Gold” will suffice for now. You open up your bag and after a bit of counting you find that you have 176 gold in total.

Confident you have enough you step through the gate to the platform and out into the bazaar.

Where do you go now?

You are now in a Hub. Here you can go from place to place freely without having to worry too much about being forced down a particular path. Of course, that's if you have enough time.

A) Head to one of the shops.
1. Flint & Tinder’s
2. Alchemist’s Shop.
3. General Trader

B) Check the Ticket Vendor

X) Other

ALSO, if I could get some input on some scenarios.

Please, let me know if you guys have any reservations about certain sexual scenarios and fetishes.

-I am aware of the big ones and I will NOT (see word: "Never") be going anywhere near Loli, guro, scat, and watersports.
-Non-consensual situations may take place depending on the votes and decisions of the readers.
-Bestiality is up in the air, but the term "monster" is much more applicable here. I'm pretty sure you guys have little to no problems with anything that could be considered under that umbrella. Although, I would prefer if you would let me know, because while I do have many scenarios set up, the path you take could lead to certain encounters and I'd rather not have to do a bit of retcon two votes from an encounter.
-Skirting the subject of "Guro": The protagonist may be wounded but, for the most part, they will be superficial and I will not be going into extreme detail.

-If there are any other concerns about the section above or for the story in general, please let me know: My PM Box is open.

Last edited:

Iwanako

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

B first, so we know when and how much our ride will cost. Depending on how long we have, A1 or A1 and then some sightseeing. Also: How strange to risk pretty much everything to steal a trainticket, one could just ask. Oh well, at the least we have a lockpick and a butter knife.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

B is also good. Gotta replace dat stolen ticket. Stupid piece of shit thief. After that A1, take Raphael's advice.

RE: Fetishes, I personally am fine with what you've apparently already opted to include.