What's new

Simon Petrikov's Chronicles 2: Magic Returns

R

Ryka

A long long time ago, War had a child with a succubus. This child was to be the ending to all life on earth. To purge it for reincarnation. The child had no name, and was only named after his title, The Lich. Growing up, the Lich learned various methods of obtaining that goal, including but not limited to writing a book, using his magic to make it into a gateway to other universes, including the center of the multiverse, where he dreams of going to this day. The Lich's book was titled, "The Enchiridion". Many many years later, his skin has been worn out, yet he still lived to possess the minds and crafts of humans.

One day, a war broke out, due to the greed of one country versus the need of another. The home country didn't pay back its debts of quadrillions of dollars, opting to wipe out this problem by pretending it never happened. The away country had the technology for nuclear warfare. This caused a short-lived but deadly war known only as The Mushroom War. The Lich anticipated this war to happen, and so left the Enchiridion behind to possess the minds of those that would launch the bomb.

Simon Petrikov, still trying to pursue his antiquarian dream before the crown completely take him, discovered the Enchiridion while exploring ancient tombs. He thought nothing of it and kept it in his collection. As he was in his home, he heard a loud thunderous noise, along with echoes. Unworldly echoes. Was it screaming, howling souls? No one could have known for sure as the source of it was at Ground Zero of a giant bomb. Though instead of a nuclear reaction, a legion of ghouls flew out of the hole the bomb made, wrecking large cities with ease. Simon hid out in his protective hatch in his yard until the screaming noises went away.

Checking outside, Simon found no trace of life. None of his friends, none of his enemies, not even a stray cat. He went uptown to find in his horror everything was gone. He did find one person in the wreckage though. A lone little girl. Standing in the middle of it all, scared. Simon went up to her. "Hello. Do you know where your parents are?" The little girl got silent, looking to him in tears. "My daddy left me to reap souls... I am a half demon." Simon looks to her in confusion, then looked into her eyes. He knew that even though what she may have said might be true, given her appearance, she was a frightened child. "Some daddy to leave his child wandering the streets... Here..." Simon went to a nearby store and picked out a stuffed monkey. He gave it to the girl. "Here. Have this. It'll give you something to hug when you're scared..."

The little girl was shocked to see someone give anything to her, given her blue skin and pointy ears. She hugged it. "I love him, Mister! I will name him... Hambo!" Simon smiled warmly. "That is a good name for a monkey. What is your name little girl?" The girl replied "Marcy." Simon nodded to the girl. "My name is Simon. Do you need a place to live for a while? It can't be safe out here..." Marceline smiled. "Yes I would I'd love that!"

And so, Simon took Marcy in, while her real dad hardly ever seen her. Though Simon still is changing slowly. One time, Marcy was misbehaving, always messing up with his antiques. Simon threatened her life if she laid one more hand on his belongings. This scared the girl, much to Simon's shock. As this wasn't him speaking.

Years went by as Marceline grew into a teenaged girl. Eventually, Simon came by with news. "Marceline... I can't take care of you anymore." Marceline looked at him in shock. "What? What do you mean?" "Marceline I have to leave. I don't know where I am going to go but I am going. Please understand..." Marceline, angry at Simon for this. "If you're going to walk out just like Daddy, then... then... don't ever come back! I can take care of myself!" Simon frowned, then silently left for parts unknown. Though on his travels, he did write some poetry about Marceline and him.

Marceline, is it just you, me, and the wreckage of the world?
This must be so confusing for a little girl.
And I know you are going to need me here with you.
But I am losing myself and I'm afraid you're going to lose me too.

This magic keeps me alive, but it's making me crazy.
And I need to save you, but who's going to save me?
Please forgive me for whatever I do
When I don't remember you.

Marceline, I can feel myself slipping away.
I can't remember what it made me say.
But I remember that I saw you frown.
I swear it wasn't me, it was the crown.