What's new

A new CYOA

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score
Interest check for the moment. I'm considering launching one opposite the usual. Instead of players choosing the actions of the heroine (though you may be given some minor control of that), the voters will take the role of the game's world and villains, trying to stop our noble heroine from completing whatever task she is given.

Since this flips from the usual, the voter's tasks will no longer be divided between wanting her to succeed, and wanting to see her fail for naughty fun. Instead, the more successful the voters are, the more naughty defeat she will encounter!

Mini-leadup votes:
Vote 1) What do you think of this approach?
a) Sounds unique/fun/enjoyable/whatever. (Like it)
b) Sounds boring/dull/bland/whatever (dislike it)
c) Would prefer another standard CYOA.
d) Doesn't care, just wants another Kathy CYOA.
e) Doesn't want Kathy running another CYOA!!! (then why are you voting?)

Vote 2) If I run another one, what should the setting be?
Open vote here mostly, but getting too narrow will lessen your chances, since I may not know the game/setting, or may throw it out for personal pref. Leave a few suggestions/encouragements. If interest-get is high, I'll hold a proper vote for this.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: A new CYOA

1. A
2. Hmm, I like fantasy or modern. Something like CD, or some sort of modern day adventure. But I think a high fantasy setting would be better.

Guan Yu

GAUN
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Whoo, activity in this bitch!

1 A
2 Like Tenta says, fantasy or modern. Never been much of a sci-fi type

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

1) A) Sounds like an interesting idea to me. Votes could be fun.

2) Dunno right now. I was trying to think of a ridiculous and deliberately obscure joke suggestion, but even that came up blank.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

The hardest thing about it will be figuring out some kind of gimmick that will make the heroine keep fighting for her goal even though she keeps losing.

You're going to hate me for this, but I'm sure most people here would love to see another CYOA set in Hyrule.
You... are... Ganondorf!

Portal would be interesting as it comes with a built-in gimmick (you lose, start over, keep trying to escape the facility) but I'm not sure if that would translate over to CYOA text very well.

Personally I would love seeing something set in Seiken Densetsu 3 land, but I have a sordid love affair with Reisz and I'm not sure if other people share my infatuation.

Devil Survivor (of Shin Megami Tensei series, same as Persona franchise) would be interesting for you because of all the options presented - you could still play the heroine, just have her pick one of the evil routes. Or some random faction that wants to destroy everything. This one's not too well known either, though.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

I like reisz as well alias. Honestly I think it'd be good to take a little break from hyrule though.

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

The hardest thing about it will be figuring out some kind of gimmick that will make the heroine keep fighting for her goal even though she keeps losing.

*snips rest*
Not going to be a problem really.

As for setting: If we were using Hyrule again, I would either allow this (with femmy link or some of the other girls as your targets), or use a new baddie. However, I've already decided that another LoZ is not in the running.

Portal would work, possibly with an OC. A halflife RP in general would be fine.

SD3 could also work just fine, but will be a bit more obscure to some people.

Devil Survivor... The idea was to NOT play the heroine, but instead have the voters playing the "bad guy" side, letting the votes decide the types of encounters and things the heroine runs into along the way. Other than that, I actually know the series, but am not sure offhand which game this was specifically, and am worried about aiming at anything to unknown. An original world along this vein may be doable though...

Based on voting so far, the idea seems well received, and the notion is modern/fantasy. Narrowing your suggestions down slightly may assist in getting something you enjoy more.

A game/anime/movie setting would be fine. Or if you have a great idea to help start an original setting to mess around in, feel free to PM me it. I'll probably start my CYOA within the week, and updates will be whenever I can, probably 2-3 times a week, or when a reasonable number of votes are in (if I have the motivation/time to do more).

Ranger Princess

Tentacle God
Reputation score

A. I think that's a really neat idea.

I kind of agree with what people are saying. I like fantasy....I guess to throw in my two cents, it could be fun to play a Darkstalkers/Vampire Saviour setting with Morrigan Aensland. Or just something based on the Aensland house. She could be the heroine or she could be an enemy depending on how you want to interpret her character. Other than zelda, I don't know much about the games mentioned so far :eek: , but I'm up for anything I guess.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Vote 1) A. It's good to change things up.

As for setting, I figured it wouldn't be LoZ again, but a Portal CYOAS sounds interesting.

Edit: Darkstalkers would be nice too.

Darkboy

Lurker
Reputation score

A.

A Halflife RP sounds interesting.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Devil Survivor is for the DS and easily emulated. It explores the universes of Mon, that is, people being able to summon creatures of immense power to battle one another. Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Rancher, etc. Devil Survivor shows what is far more likely to happen in reality if this happened - people would go insane with the power and use them for their own purposes. Police get corrupted, the Yakuza become an even greater threat, not to mention the demons' own purposes. That was my point in suggesting it - pretty much everybody in this universe is a villain; even the heroine has potential to choose the villainous route. Maybe the object would be to corrupt her.

@SD3 being obscure: most people who owned or emulates SNES has played Secret of Mana and it's the same universe; maybe it wouldn't be quite as obscure as you suggest. I guess you'd have to see how many forum-goers have brushed up on their classics from Nintendo.

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

I'd need to start looking up darkstalkers stuff, and there's a lot of named characters I don't want to risk stepping on toes of, a fighting game type thing in general may be viable, but I think I'd rather either make it a big-ass-free-for-all style mega-crossover, or a completely original world. Just to avoid potential conflicts of using a single setting like that, especially since it opens up a lot more stuff... I'm going to pass on this overall though, and give it to whoever wants to run it.

Devil Summoner, again, setting is okay, but it's less known, and the repetition of how the heroine can already turn evil gives me several steps away from this. I'd rather not walk into such a setting I know less about, and the few people who're knowledgeable are expecting certain things of it.

SD3... I've played Secret of Mana, and a few others, but I haven't played SD3 all the way through, and especially when taking named characters as the gal in charge, I'd rather know more about them.

Although, since everyone is heavily recommending games, an alternate idea would be to pick up a game (SD3 perhaps? Or one that I perhaps haven't played yet), and run a CYOA/Story alongside my playthrough. ... Just something to ponder. Likely not this one though. The biggest quirk I have against this is that you never know what's going to be around the corner and cause a fuss later on if I mis-play some character or another.

Seems like a halflife/portal hybrid game may be a popular choice. Have a few votes for it. Original Character would be used (not named character from any existing game, completely new).

... I think I'm going to leave the topic sit a little longer and see if anyone else has an idea/catches my interest before I begin.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

1 A&D

As for 2... I got nothing at the moment.. Prolly at a later time I'll edit something in.

fuzzy

Lurker
Reputation score

After the LoZ CYOA derailing into lots of arguments over whether or not Link would do the things being done I am hesitant to suggest any established characters to be used as the heroine, but with us controlling the villains instead I can see that not being issue. Just a thought.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

After giving it some thought, I find I strongly lean towards Abd prefer fantasy themed things. As for games or series, I'm afraid I haven't played as much as other people. Though portal may be interesting, not so sure bout half life seeings how I tend to not care too much for scifi. If were an oc or the villain, then some other series would be easier(?) but as I said I don't know too many other games or series to vote for. :(

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

This could be interesting. My two cents are:
Yes, Portal could be interesting. But, just like Tentanari, HalfLife? Ehh... I could care less. But we could always go for something everyone knows and/or loves, like an anime?

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Sounds fun. 1a 2... what if we set it in one of the long-running RP settings the board's got going? Monstergirl Island, Dark Gate, one of the older ones I am not familiar with, or whatever?

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

That's not a bad idea blarg. It might be fun playing the monsters in MGI and hunting a girl. Or DG, or some other rp here.

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

After giving it some thought, I find I strongly lean towards Abd prefer fantasy themed things. As for games or series, I'm afraid I haven't played as much as other people. Though portal may be interesting, not so sure bout half life seeings how I tend to not care too much for scifi. If were an oc or the villain, then some other series would be easier(?) but as I said I don't know too many other games or series to vote for. :(
This could be interesting. My two cents are:
Yes, Portal could be interesting. But, just like Tentanari, HalfLife? Ehh... I could care less. But we could always go for something everyone knows and/or loves, like an anime?
*Facepalms*
You two realize that Portal and Half-Life are THE SAME SETTING. There's large numbers of references throughout portal to the old Black Mesa compound, even in Still Alive.

Sounds fun. 1a 2... what if we set it in one of the long-running RP settings the board's got going? Monstergirl Island, Dark Gate, one of the older ones I am not familiar with, or whatever?
This... is actually a nice idea on many levels o.o I'd need to get a nod from the maker to allow for it, since I'm not just going to snatch it and run with it. But it's something to consider.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

This... is actually a nice idea on many levels o.o I'd need to get a nod from the maker to allow for it, since I'm not just going to snatch it and run with it. But it's something to consider.
Permission granted, if you'd like to use DG. I could even chuck ideas at you if you didn't want to go with a plain old demoness.

I can't actually speak for RJ, but I doubt that he'd mind much either, particularly given the amount of work he's put into the NPCs for MGI.