What's new

A new idea for DTT

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score
This is something I talked with Keylo about, when we got on the topic of why I wasn't joining DTT. To me, it all just seemed like a game of luck, chance, and with a little help of misleading words, such as the case of when Bartnum was the fool, and he raped all of you with a black hole.

My thought for what a fun DTT would be like, would involve as much detail as possible to help both the human girls identify who the tentacle monster(s) is(are), and help the tentacle monster(s) hide from the human girls, while picking them off, one by one. However, keep in mind, I'm not even sure if half of this would be actually fun, I just thought it might be interesting, if implemented properly.

My thoughts for a, "upgraded" DTT include; A map, or some clear explanation of the layout, perhaps, of the complex you and the others are vacating due to some strange force that lead you there to be raped. This would allow people to possibly, 'escape' or, 'hide' for any reason. The tentacle monster might be in danger of being seen, so it chooses to hide in the kitchen/basement/backyard to avoid detection.

The ability to use objects around you to do various things, such as hide, create a distraction, or some other creative thing you can think of. Perhaps even using objects around you to hinder, or even hurt the tentacle monster. Maybe even going as far as using an announcer system to attract attention to yourself, and draw the other humans to help you... Or draw them away from the girl you'll pick off, and rape while no one's paying attention.

Rather than being the tentacle monster, you'd be a girl in control of it, removing the need to create many tentacle players just to make up for the human advantage in numbers, as you can actually be present with the others while someone's getting raped.

Instead of being raped once, and that's it, gameover, you may be raped twice, or three times, before losing your humanity to the lustful curse of the tentacles, and being dragged away to become a slave to it's lust to breed. This might help with the psychology element, as the possessor of the tentacles can order her tentacles to rape her on purpose, to help with her image, but would never rape herself the whole way. (Twice or three times, just like the rest of this pointless idea, sprung forth from boredom, can be thrown out if you guys find it distasteful.)

And lastly, the lynching method. I'm of two minds when it comes to this. My first thought was simply that you'd have a certain amount of time, say, seven days (multiple actions within days, of course,) to find the real possessor of the tentacle monster. Once that limit was up, everyone had to make a decision; who to kill, for suspect or proof, that she was the one seeking to rape everyone. If they get the wrong girl, then the night proceeds as normal, except, on the last day, more tentacle monsters are hatched from within the (hidden) tentacle lair, and overwhelm any survivors left. At this point, the survivors will flee, and the success of their attempt will be based on how many survivors are left alive. If everyone is fine, and the tentacle monster didn't steal any girls, then it's likely a great number of them will escape, resulting in the escaping girls, who failed to find the real tentacle monster, forced to have a minimal victory upon escaping, while the others are not quite so lucky.

In that event, Survivors kinda win, and the tentacle monster kinda wins. A draw.

Now, I don't have all the concrete stuff, like the map itself, the mechanics and the powers, so this is just an idea I hoped to build with the rest of you, in hopes to make a really fun DTT.

Last edited:

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: A new idea for DTT

i like this idea. would take some work and help to prep it for DTT7 but i think this is a great idea.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I think someone wanted to do something like this before... like we had bigger roles and they weren't so supernatural, we had roles to a village and the tentacle monster had stealth and everything and could hide. I think it was a Bartnum idea but I could be mistaken.

Someone want to refresh my memory?

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

it this what your thinking about?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Yes, indeed it is. Though I hate going back to TH for fear of VIRUSESOHNOES!

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

I think a big part of the disappointment with playing DTT is because the game it evolved from - Mafia - is really intended to be played in person. By doing so, you get a lot more information about the other players, whether they intend to pass it on or not. They don't have the option of simply not posting.

On the one hand, I agree that a more detailed setup and especially greater endurance would be wonderful things to have. On the other, every new option you add to the game increases its complexity and how long the game will take. It's all too frequent that we have players sign up for DTT and then disappear, sometimes even before the game's actually started.

Maybe this would be better described as a new game entirely. No reason we can't use the same plotline for it - but if you want to move away from the "Night - someone gets murdered, Day - someone gets lynched, repeat until end" paradigm, it's really not DTT anymore.

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Granted, the gameplay would be so different, it would hardly be the same game, but I likely wouldn't have thought of this if it weren't for DTT. I might add a little more to the name, but I gotta give credit where credit is due.

So, no ideas? No complaints? Few Comments? I put this up here for discussion. Keylo and I already agreed it might be fun, so I'm not looking for a thumbs up for the game to start.

It's all too frequent that we have players sign up for DTT and then disappear, sometimes even before the game's actually started.
I thought about this often, and I thought of only penalties for those who make a commitment to play, and then vanish.

1: Once the next turn comes around (every 24 hours, so that means no excuses for not posting, asides from desperate RL reasons, and in that case, you likely won't be returning soon anyway.) your character becomes idle. She doesn't do anything, and I automatically give her commands throughout the day for the basic essentials; Such as going to the bathroom, going to sleep, and getting food, all of which might render your character alone, and vulnerable to rape.

2: Same as 1, except I'll have the character vanish if the user goes idle for 2 days.

3: I'll personally take over the character, and with the PM based gameplay, you'll hardly notice the player left, except for any change in personality.

Or anything else you'd rather. Remember, this is an idea pot, not a suggestions thread. If you'd rather see this another way, say so.

(As well, I'd personally rather not be the host for the game a majority of the time. A certain member won't play with me as the GM anymore, and I'd rather they enjoy the game as well. So I'd much rather if some of you get to know the game mechanics as well, and be the GM's for it.)

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

i wounder if aika will ever revive "relaxed" DTT

Guyver2216

Lurker
Reputation score

who knows only one way to find out though...ask Aika. *does creepy slow head turn to aika*

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

relaxed? I miss something?

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

(Relaxed demonstration)

Aika: Bartnum, tell us the truth, are you the demon?

Bartnum: *Giggles* Yeah, you caught me.

*Everyone huggles, and both the demons and the humans win*

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

only in a absolut world...........

mmmmmm vodka...

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

This kind of reminds me of a board game I used to play. three people played security guards, and had game pieces on the board, one player was a theif and wrote his moves down on a paper map out of sight. The objective was to steal three paintings and make it out of the building without being caught. Damned if I remember what it was called though, but it would make a real good base for this, I think.

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Was it; Clue: The Great Museum Caper? It sounds awfully similar to what you're talking about, and I've always been a big fan of games like that.

And unfortunately, the main problem I'm seeing with this, is it's complexity. There's a lot of factors involved(or at least, I'm hoping to have involved) in this game, and I think that most people who sign up to lead a casual game of DTT, won't take a liking, or understanding, to the mechanics.

So, that means, before any of this gets off the ground, we need to find out how many people would be willing to GM for this. Because if I'm the only one(and I don't want to be, in all honesty), then this might not see more than one play through.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

yeah, that sounds right, I thought it was a clue game but it didnt make sense for it to be actual clue, nobody dies in it :/

I'd be willing to run a game or two of it, though not at first, i would need to clear my plate of some other stuff first.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Yup, that's like the only board game I played as a kid. Great fun

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I hate to burst your bubble RJ, but I have a ruleset for a game very similar to what your describing (yes, RDTT), nearly fully written up. The way it works is similar to DTT in that one girl is a tentacle monster and wants to rape everyone, and has slightly higher stats, and the rest of course don't want to be raped.

The genius part is how to make sure the village don't just go round as one big group to avoid being hit one by one - each girl has a certain backstory only she (or only a few people) knows. She will have her own goals - things she has to do to earn satisfaction points - and this decides how successfully you have played - how many satisfaction points you have earned at the end.

For example, a character's satisfaction points list (which would only be known to them) could look something like this:

*Don't die - 20 points
*Don't get tentacle raped - 20 points
*Sleep in your own bed every night - 10 points
*Be the person that kills the tentacle monster - 15 points

etc.

I had hoped to finish it before the end of the holidays, but didn't get round to it. I'll get it finished soon though.

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hehehe, how would this burst my bubble? If what you're making is very similar to this, in the aspect of the tentacle monster, hiding, running away and the like, then I'm glad to know that something like this will appear. You making just means I don't have to do it. :D

Although... I had been thinking of something, sorta similar to those points you've got there. However... I'm kinda iffy on just using points to get the group to separate. I thought about it before, that is, before you announced you already had a project like this underway, but even after you fulfill all these goals, if your character dies anyway, it's rather awkward, unless they intended to die, to say they won to some degree...

Like, the glutton type character managed to stuff her face with food every day, and sleep in her own bed, which lead her to getting tentacle raped from being alone in the kitchen, or alone in her room. While she fulfilled her objective, she didn't live... And I actually giggled when I thought of the scenario, of sending someone a PM that said,

You couldn't escape from the tentacle monster, and were raped, and taken to it's den.

YOU WIN! With 25 satisfaction points from sleeping in your own bed, and stuffing your face in the kitchen!
That just seems strange to me... I mean, it's definitely a reason for the whole group not to just huddle together all the time, not genius, but definitely a reason this type of game needs. However, I'm not saying I've thought of a better reason, but I was definitely hoping to think of a better reason than 'points' simply being awarded by separating from the group, and doing whatever, so the tentacle monster has a chance.

As well, after taking a peek at your old RDTT, I noticed that there were big differences in our games... Rather than similar. My idea doesn't use character points, which I think, might help to make the game, if based on dice... Annoying. I know just using dice to effect how well someone hides, how well the escape, or how well the fight is a lot easier in the long run, but dice have, in all likelihood, gotten on just about everyone's nerves who've used them. Some situations will definitely spring along, that make the characters say, "What the fuck!?! I made my character into a stealth whore! How is everyone detecting me all the time!?!"

As far as "Realistic" DTT, I think that stat points kinda take away from the realism, and rather, turn it into an RPG battle. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying any of this won't be fun, or that it isn't a good idea. What I am saying is that our two games are actually quite different, different enough not to be called similar, outside of the aspect of a tentacle monster raping everyone, that is. I'd much rather not rely on die rolls to determine how well a player does, as dice can really be a buzz kill.

Unless you made some drastic changes to RDTT, from what I remember of it, I can't really say it will play at all like this game idea would, if it ever gets off the ground, as it relies on stats, and my idea relies on decisions and choices. When I thought of this, I was just lookin' for a DTT game, with more complication, and definitely no combat stats, or stealth stats, which is kinda why I didn't join RDTT, when you put it up. Rather than say, 'I hide' and have my success determined by how good my role is, with a little help from my stat, I'd much rather say, "After running as fast as I can from the monster, I'll hide in the cabinet in the kitchen, and hope that either the tentacle monster loses track of me, thinking I went some other route, or that the time it takes to look for me is long enough for everyone else to come, and check what that scream I made was." And if the character playing the tentacle monster manages to find the player before the others arrive, she's snatched, plugged, and taken away, with little trace of her left behind, to be raped, and impregnated by the alien tentacle monster.

That much rather how I'd like to see it. I got raped, and taken away. I tried to hide, and the tentacle monster ended up looking right where I chose to hide. It wasn't chance, it was just a bad decision, that got me raped. And that's the kind of game I'm looking to see happen. Then, I might actually play a DTT game for once. :p

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Rather than say, 'I hide' and have my success determined by how good my role is, with a little help from my stat, I'd much rather say, "After running as fast as I can from the monster, I'll hide in the cabinet in the kitchen, and hope that either the tentacle monster loses track of me, thinking I went some other route, or that the time it takes to look for me is long enough for everyone else to come, and check what that scream I made was." And if the character playing the tentacle monster manages to find the player before the others arrive, she's snatched, plugged, and taken away, with little trace of her left behind, to be raped, and impregnated by the alien tentacle monster.

That much rather how I'd like to see it. I got raped, and taken away. I tried to hide, and the tentacle monster ended up looking right where I chose to hide. It wasn't chance, it was just a bad decision, that got me raped. And that's the kind of game I'm looking to see happen. Then, I might actually play a DTT game for once. :p
I can understand your hatred of stats and hard-binding rules in RP games, but I feel in this game it is very necessary for it to work properly.

Firstly, the game will be mostly RP. The dice rolling mechanics are limited to simply when there is a physical conflict, and deciding how well someone has done some basic action like stay hidden.

Otherwise, you just get people saying something like "I stay in the bush hidden watching from a little way off" and it's just up to the GM as to whether that was a good decision or not.

In your scenario so many things which could massively affect the game outcome are in the GM's hands - how long it takes the others to arrive, what sort of questions you ask the TM about what they want to do, how successfully she is hiding (and btw how did she even outrun this monster for long enough to get into a hiding place?).

I much prefer a game where while you still can say "I'll hide[/ in the cabinet in the kitchen, and hope that either the tentacle monster loses track of me, thinking I went some other route, or that the time it takes to look for me is long enough for everyone else to come, and check what that scream I made was." whether you are successful or not is not just decided by how the GM is feeling, but by a fair die roll.

As for character points, people do not get to choose their own stats. This is NOT a fighter RPG, and combat is a small part of the game. The battle system is there purely to simulate the fact that while the TM will not have much trouble raping one girl, if there are two, three or four of them, the girls actually have a chance of overpowering the TM.

This allows you to expand and look at how the village would actually be able to lynch the TM - because the TM would almost certainly resist, in one last ditch attempt to kill everyone, so are there enough girls left to overpower it?

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I can understand your hatred of stats and hard-binding rules in RP games, but I feel in this game it is very necessary for it to work properly.

Firstly, the game will be mostly RP. The dice rolling mechanics are limited to simply when there is a physical conflict, and deciding how well someone has done some basic action like stay hidden.

Otherwise, you just get people saying something like "I stay in the bush hidden watching from a little way off" and it's just up to the GM as to whether that was a good decision or not.

In your scenario so many things which could massively affect the game outcome are in the GM's hands - how long it takes the others to arrive, what sort of questions you ask the TM about what they want to do, how successfully she is hiding (and btw how did she even outrun this monster for long enough to get into a hiding place?).

I much prefer a game where while you still can say "I'll hide[/ in the cabinet in the kitchen, and hope that either the tentacle monster loses track of me, thinking I went some other route, or that the time it takes to look for me is long enough for everyone else to come, and check what that scream I made was." whether you are successful or not is not just decided by how the GM is feeling, but by a fair die roll.

As for character points, people do not get to choose their own stats. This is NOT a fighter RPG, and combat is a small part of the game. The battle system is there purely to simulate the fact that while the TM will not have much trouble raping one girl, if there are two, three or four of them, the girls actually have a chance of overpowering the TM.

This allows you to expand and look at how the village would actually be able to lynch the TM - because the TM would almost certainly resist, in one last ditch attempt to kill everyone, so are there enough girls left to overpower it?
I didn't say that "whether you are successful or not is not just decided by how the GM is feeling," I said, "if the character playing the tentacle monster manages to find the player before the others arrive, she's snatched, plugged, and taken away." Where did you see that suggested the success was determined by the GM's decision? I clearly stated that players could, "choose" where to hide, and that the tentacle monster could, "choose" where to look, the GM only telling them what was going on at the time.

Stats like strength, and stealth, are hardly necessary. While they might add a feature players might like, which is what I think several people took a liking to, the game does not break without it. Any other system, like the one I'm talking about, could easily be implemented as a replacement.

For example, my game idea hardly involves any chance at all, even less than your game, which I feel, gives the players a better feeling of control. If I know, that if I take the tentacle monster on alone, it's guaranteed that I'm gonna get raped. I'm not saying the same doesn't stand for your game mechanics, but all I'm trying to say is that the more dice are involved, the less control the players have. All they can do it say what they're going to do, attack, escape, or whatever, and hope for the best. I can already imagine playing like that, and getting a message that said, "you rolled a [lesser number], and the tentacle monster rolled a, [higher number] you fail to escape, and are raped to death." would really bum me out.

Rather, and to answer your question about how the girl got far enough to hide, I'll state an example of what was going through my mind.

Aika had finished answering a call of nature, she was just exiting the bathroom, relieved of her, 'burden,' when suddenly, a large, demonic looking beast, in the vague shape of a man came charging at her, tentacles wavoring about on it's back, eager to grab hold of the victim in it's sight.

[At this point in time, I was thinking of all the actions of one could possibly do in this situation, and the idea I came up with was a rock-paper-scissors solution. You could run at full speed, or try to knock things over that might trip the monster, and help you get a lead, or attack it with any handy object nearby. On the other hand, the monster must make a choice as well; The player in control of the monster makes a choice, of which method of escape he expects the other player to make. If he's correct, then the player gets captured, and raped. If he chooses the wrong one, then the player gets more of a lead on the monster.]

[And like I mentioned before, the above is very, very beta, but it's just an example.]

Aika: I run at full speed, wanting to get away as fast as possible.

The other player expects Aika to try to attack it, and ends up standing in place, while Aika suddenly bolts in the other direction, quickly disappearing behind the corner leading to the kitchen, with the monster hot on her trail.

[And at this point, after winning the first round, the second determines whether or not you lose the monster completely.]

You can keep running, and when the monster comes round to where you were, if you're lucky, it might assume you tried to hide, and begin to search the room. Or you can choose to hide instead, and once again, if you're lucky, the monster will just keep running, thinking you've kept running away from it.
That is not a finite decision on how it would go down, but the general direction of it. It's not decided on how the GM is feeling, but on how the player's choices conflict with each other. Playing using dice to determine your success is like sitting down with a die in your hand, and rolling it along the ground, saying, "Yay! I win!" when you roll a six, and "Aw, I lost!" when you roll anything but. I would enjoy having more control over my success, rather than crossing my fingers over a die roll.

While unlikely, the dice can really fuck up a game, should they roll, *just* right, or wrong, in this case. If there are five girls left, and they identify the monster, they could roll 1-5 over and over, while the monster keeps getting 20's, or close to it. In my idea, the person controlling the tentacle monster, not the tentacle monster itself, would be the target, and she's human. So if five people are still alive, and they find out who's in control of the monster going around, abducting women, she's dead. No dice rolls, no nothing, asides from the humans winning, and surviving. Once the tentacle monster's control is found out, then it's game over, so long as there's enough man power to kill her, of course.

I was GM long enough over AWMBI, to know that using dice, and not questioning their ruling, "Is one of the leading killers of boners in games" And as time went on, I instead based their actions on logic, and how well, or bad they've been doing recently. And while it lasted, that made the game a little more enjoyable. In the meantime, Keylo made a mistake, 'trusting the dice,' and poor Tassadar couldn't ever get to see his character raped because he kept rolling 10s. :(

I don't believe the dice should be in control, I don't believe the GM should be in control(to a degree), I believe the players should be in control of their success. So that way, if they win, or fail at doing whatever in the game, they'll know they were responsible, and not the dice, or the GM.