What's new

RPG [AloneXP] Alone VX first sneak peak. RPGMaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

crouler

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Taking a much desired break, I thought I wanted to share what I'd made so far. I hope you will all enjoy it, and give whatever feedback you deem worthy :p

I hope you all enjoy it! Also, should you (god forbid it) Find any bugs, tell me.

And lastly, some quest lines in this version has yet to be finished, so feel free to write of you have to stop before completing something, but I may say it's because it has yet to be finished, sorry.

Edit: I uploaded a testing version where you are level 99, I'm sorry. I'll reupload a non 99 game... I'm sorry to those who already started, I kn ow how much of a pain this can be... Again, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

cayojulio2004

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Alone VX first sneak peak.

I just start playing your game and I think the story is great, but I see a problem, and it appears that the main character from the beginning with level 99, and that makes the game too easy.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

105 megs of BGM in a 130 meg game... None original...
a very narrow selection of images grabbed at random for your scenes...
dialogue that makes me cringe before I even get past the opening...

While the maxed level thing isn't a bad thing if that's the mentality your character should have...

...add to that walking into it with the over-bloated skill list and the too-often used amnesia wake-up opening...

... and all together you've got a recipe for yet another bland "I can make an H-RPG too!" novice game.

Easy ways to improve:
-Get rid of the excessively large BGM bloat.
-Drop the amnesia bit.
-If he's meant to be super-powered, simply remove all low level skills. Start with a small array of uber-skills that may have a reduced mana cost to really make him feel powerful.
-Improve acting direction. Even from the first encounter when the enemies realize the super-mage is awake, they shouldn't just all rush him if they want to warn someone, make one of them run off the side of the map to go "warn" whoever they need to.
-Improve dialogue. The pseudo-fantasy with modern influence language thing only works when used sarcastically and/or in a way that builds together with the setting (Samurai Champloo is a nice example of both, but Assassin's Creed uses a clever approach to explaining the language issue as well).

Re-release with a few of these fixes, and I'd be happy to mess around with it a bit and tell you how else you can improve.

OP
C

crouler

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Actually, you aren't meant to be lvl 99 at all xD I must have uploaded a testing game, I'm sorry. About the artwork, well, since I'm doing this in my free time and for free, I have no intention of ordering any original art, sorry.

and the amnesia bit is actually going to be known later. Can't tell much now, but just know, removing that would pretty much ruin the game.

I'm uploading the non-level 99 game as we speak :p

Edit: Re-uploaded the game. You'll now start as level 1.

Last edited:

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

You misunderstood entirely parts of my criticism.

"Reused" artwork is a staple of fangames and small timers. I'm not begrudging that, you aren't a professional developer, nor are you going to sell your game, so that's fine.

Notice in my suggested "fixes" I didn't say "get original art" (although I do recommend getting more images as your game gets bigger/more complete).

My issue was that for having so little content, you still have the ENORMOUS 105 megs of BGM bloat. And THAT part is where I said "none original"... why would you need 105 megs of someone else's music to pad your game to this huge of a size? I've played games with (limited) voice acting that are barely this big!

As for the amnesia... I was only trying to give a helpful criticism against being "oh god, another one.", but if you want to be that, it's your game to make that choice.

Taking into consideration what you want your game to be, and the update fixing the level-jump...

Updated ways to improve:
-Get rid of the excessively large BGM bloat.
-Improve acting direction and dialogue.

No idea about game balance or other aspects in your update, since I am not going to download another 120 meg file. Good luck with your project!

OP
C

crouler

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I did not intend to shun your suggestions, there are just to many things that can, and can't be done. The music is my own prefference to be honest. I like switching between music, so it catches the area's spirit.

I intended the main charracter to be sort of, well, stupid. Not much moving around his head, unless you really want to make some deep decisions.

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I did not intend to shun your suggestions, there are just to many things that can, and can't be done. The music is my own prefference to be honest. I like switching between music, so it catches the area's spirit.

I intended the main charracter to be sort of, well, stupid. Not much moving around his head, unless you really want to make some deep decisions.
You could always get your songs in midi form that would greatly reduce the size
of the game if too many people find it too large.

I find that really the songs sound pretty decent in midi form unless they have lyrics in them then leave it as is.

OP
C

crouler

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Sorry about the slow reply. Well, I could turn it into midi, but to be honest, doesn't most people these days have at least 100gb? Most have like 500gb or such, so I'm just not sure if I will spend time now at least on redoing the music. Maybe once I'm done with the game itself.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Sorry about the slow reply. Well, I could turn it into midi, but to be honest, doesn't most people these days have at least 100gb? Most have like 500gb or such, so I'm just not sure if I will spend time now at least on redoing the music. Maybe once I'm done with the game itself.
That's... exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

While a game is in development and you are releasing it piece by piece is the reason you DON'T want a 100+ meg file with each update. When the game reaches final release, that's when grabbing the 100meg file once and being done with it is the least frustrating.

Reputation score

I haven't played it yet, so I don't know what these MP3s are taken from, but if they're from games, you probably won't need to remake any tracks in midi form. There are sites out there that have game music in midi format already. So if that's the case, give it a look. I'm sure you'll find it.

And if they aren't from games, well, take a look anyhow. You might be surprised by what you can get a midi of.

yourworstnightmare

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

This is a good game. I like the fact that there are many side quests and that you leave dialogue on characters saying "this will be added later" when you haven't made the content yet. About bugs, well it's hard. Many things are just missing content, and that's not a complaint since you're still working to complete the game.

Here are some things I found though:

1. There's one song that the pianist can play that cause a crash. Can't remember which one.

2. Impregnating 1: The red-haired (cat?) girl. The event is incomplete. It's starting with the hero's dialogue (that he remove his clothes and get closer to the girl), then nothing happen. It doesn't crash, you can continue playing, but there is no picture or more text or anything. But I guess it's because you haven't added it yet.

3. I guess the boxes hindering you to reach certain houses is because you haven't added the content in these houses yet. Not a complaint really.

4. I don't mind that there is very little actual hentai in the game, since it's otherwise solid. But come on, you can't have the thieves/ pirates in the Pirate Town brag about prostitutes when there's none to be found.:rolleyes:

5. That island you can get to after you get your house has no people, but then again it's not a completed game, so you have probably just not added them yet.

6. I was a little disappointed when the shop you helped the blonde girl set up in the capital ended up being worthless (empty). We could have gotten a "will be added later message".

7. The boss battle in that long Orc/ Ogre segment was ridiculously hard (the warlord with two Ogres), was only able to beat it thanks to luck.

8. You can't get back to the forrest from the Thief town. Which irritates me, since the only thing I found to do at the moment is fighting in the tournament and then you get the quest to find that person in the forrest, and you can't get there (unless you go all the way from the other town). This is actually the point in the game I am at right now. I don't know if I will continue playing this version (I can't find much more to do), so I might wait for the next version instead (luckliy this game has replay value). If I continue I will tell you if I find more stuff to report.
Edit: Well you can go to the forrest from the other direction, and was able to complete the quest from the arena that way, but now I work for the gang leader and have to go to the forrest to find someone again, and now there's an event that hinders you from entering it from the other direction. Which means I can't advance anymore. I'll just wait for the next release.

Last edited:
OP
C

crouler

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

A few things then, thanks for the response. About adding midi files, most of the songs could be made into midi. It would pain me a s a musician to let these songs become midi, but if it's really important to you, I might do so. About the cat girl who is impregnated, I'm pretty sure I added no such thing :p Where is it`? About the boxes blocking the ways, yes, I may add things there, but so far, I need to make a limit to the size of the city. I've already had complains that people think it's too big. :p There is 1 prostitute in Everlight.
I'll check out the thing you say about not being able to go back from the thief town. Remember though, you can use the travelers to navigate.
Did you help the town boss?
And last, helping the trader establish her store. I didn't finish it yet, sorry. I'm looking for a way to make it work, but so far it's giving me tons of problems, so I may change my approach.

Thanks for the feedback all. :)

yourworstnightmare

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

A few things then, thanks for the response. About adding midi files, most of the songs could be made into midi. It would pain me a s a musician to let these songs become midi, but if it's really important to you, I might do so. About the cat girl who is impregnated, I'm pretty sure I added no such thing :p Where is it`? About the boxes blocking the ways, yes, I may add things there, but so far, I need to make a limit to the size of the city. I've already had complains that people think it's too big. :p There is 1 prostitute in Everlight.
I'll check out the thing you say about not being able to go back from the thief town. Remember though, you can use the travelers to navigate.
Did you help the town boss?
And last, helping the trader establish her store. I didn't finish it yet, sorry. I'm looking for a way to make it work, but so far it's giving me tons of problems, so I may change my approach.

Thanks for the feedback all. :)
Cat girl: I am not sure is she's supposed to be a cat gir. It's the sleepin red head in the house close to the hero's house.

I know about the prostitute in Everlight, but it would make more sense to have a prostitute in the Pirate town.

I stopped since I became stuck on the town boss quest. No way to reach the forest. You can't go back to the forest from the pirate town, and now you can't go through the forest from Everlight due to an event.

However it's a good game and I await future releases.

The capital is not too big. It takes time to get used to the size of it, but it's a God damn capital, it's supposed to be big.

OP
C

crouler

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I understand now, that storyline has yet to be completed I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.