What's new

Amarant: Noble's Path

nightshade99

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: Amarant: Noble's Path - Dec. 19th

- Jane takes the glass vial from the statue.
- Maria tries to catch the bracelet with an arrow.
- They experiment with the stone to comfirm it's the source of anti magic field.
- If yes, Jane takes the stone and bring it to the treasure chest to see if it cancel any magic that keeps it closed.

omegau

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

First Jane and Maria get up and perform a quick check of their surroundings, to make sure there are no more enemies – rats or otherwise – headed their way.

Next, Maria is a little too excited, and that might become a problem, so Jane needs to do something about it, such as:
Jane faces her friend, holds Maria’s hands in her own, and pushes Maria against the wall. She then kisses Maria on the lips for a few seconds (enough to get her friend’s full attention) before pulling away. No tongue, unless Maria starts it. After that Jane leans closer to her friend and whispers in Maria’s ear:
"Maria, I’m really glad you are alright and that you found something to increase your abilities, but you need to calm down and focus! You are getting too excited, and you might end up making a mistake or missing something important as a result. I understand why you’re so excited and I know how important this is for you, but try not to get carried away. Alright?"

After that Jane should ask Maria about the new spell she learned (it’s a good idea to know what she can do now) and while listening:
Minor Action: Jane drinks a mana potion

After that proceed with the original plan, but with some changes:
- Finish searching the shelves for anything else of interest, especially other intact scrolls and an item that can hold water. If they find a vessel that is clean enough they should take a sample of the pool’s water so that they can examine it later. Also search for anything they can use to take out the "bracelet" in the pool without touching the water.
- Leave the chest for later – hopefully they can examine it on the way out.
- Don’t touch the gems on the statue – that’s just asking for trouble.
- The anti-magic field needs more investigation. For starters approach the area and see if the orb of light Maria is holding disappears or remains – this way they’ll know if it merely blocks casting, or fully negates spells. The difference is important during battle. Also try to figure out its range. Since Jane and Maria have to pass through the anti-magic area they should make the most of it and learn what they can

Jane and Maria head down the stairs after the mage’s group, but try to be quiet, so as not to alert the other party of their presence (in case the sounds from reading the scroll and fighting the rats did not reach them.

Minor Action: The whole time the two girls remain alert, looking and listening for any sign of approaching danger – both in front and behind them.

P.S.: The whole "Jane presses Maria against the wall and kisses her" is an idea I’ve had since before the girls got in the temple. I just didn’t get a chance to use it until now.
I am changing my vote to this.

tomaito89

Sex Demon
Reputation score

My thoughts, in no particular order:

First and foremost
*They both need to drink a mana potion.
*Ask Maria about this new spell
Maybe, but not as important
*Try and fish the bracelet out of the water (I liked the "use an arrow" idea).
*Grab the crossbow. Hey, it could be useful later.
*See if they can figure out what is causing that anti-magic aoe, but don't spend too much time on it. We need to get moving.
*Give one last glance-over at the shelves, but don't spend too much time over there.

tl;dr I vote B (mostly).

Last edited:

Shadow

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

B.

Just a couple of thoughts - the chest is sealed, but has had chunks taken out the top of it to a certain depth, right? Sounds like a mimic to me. Be wary. Similarly trying to take crystals off a statue (when we're already rich nobles) sounds like an unnecessary risk. Personally I would just leave the room and carry on exploring.

Denmu

Demon Girl
Reputation score

First Jane and Maria get up and perform a quick check of their surroundings, to make sure there are no more enemies – rats or otherwise – headed their way.

Next, Maria is a little too excited, and that might become a problem, so Jane needs to do something about it, such as:
Jane faces her friend, holds Maria’s hands in her own, and pushes Maria against the wall. She then kisses Maria on the lips for a few seconds (enough to get her friend’s full attention) before pulling away. No tongue, unless Maria starts it. After that Jane leans closer to her friend and whispers in Maria’s ear:
"Maria, I’m really glad you are alright and that you found something to increase your abilities, but you need to calm down and focus! You are getting too excited, and you might end up making a mistake or missing something important as a result. I understand why you’re so excited and I know how important this is for you, but try not to get carried away. Alright?"

After that Jane should ask Maria about the new spell she learned (it’s a good idea to know what she can do now) and while listening:

- Finish searching the shelves for anything else of interest, especially other intact scrolls and an item that can hold water. If they find a vessel that is clean enough they should take a sample of the pool’s water so that they can examine it later. Also search for anything they can use to take out the "bracelet" in the pool without touching the water.
- The anti-magic field needs more investigation. For starters approach the area and see if the orb of light Maria is holding disappears or remains – this way they’ll know if it merely blocks casting, or fully negates spells. The difference is important during battle. Also try to figure out its range. Since Jane and Maria have to pass through the anti-magic area they should make the most of it and learn what they can

Jane and Maria head down the stairs after the mage’s group, but try to be quiet, so as not to alert the other party of their presence (in case the sounds from reading the scroll and fighting the rats did not reach them.

Minor Action: The whole time the two girls remain alert, looking and listening for any sign of approaching danger – both in front and behind them.

P.S.: The whole "Jane presses Maria against the wall and kisses her" is an idea I’ve had since before the girls got in the temple. I just didn’t get a chance to use it until now.
Sure why not

xaero

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

moonblack's

OP
Cevrik777

Cevrik777

Sex Demon
Reputation score
Re: Amarant: Noble's Path - Dec. 22nd

Results:

The way Maria was acting concerned Jane – she was an excitable person, but Jane felt that she needed to focus, lest they attract more unwanted attention. Jane could have simply tried to calm her friend with words, or a perhaps a stern tap on her shoulder, but she chose a much more exotic approach. As for why she did it, she wasn’t sure; maybe the pleasure she felt had been at the front of her mind, or perhaps the stress from the fight combined with her concern for Maria took over. Whatever the reason Jane walked up to her friend and grabbed her hands before pushing her back against the wall next to the shelves.

Her fingers interlocked with Maria’s, her arms driven up so that they rested against the stonework. Maria let out a quick gasp at the sudden advance, but it was silent as Jane’s lips set upon hers. Maria’s eyes went wide with surprise, but they soon closed as she gave into the moment. Jane closed her eyes too, keeping the kiss simple: no tongue, no little nips against her lips – just the two of them enjoying the moment, silent and peaceful.

A few second went by before Jane broke the kiss, her friend most assuredly calm by now. Instead of pulling back however, Jane leaned in more until her breath could be felt on Maria’s neck. Their chests pressed against each other, Jane making sure not to cause her friend any discomfort as she spoke into her ear:

"Maria, I’m really glad you are alright and that you found something to increase your abilities, but you need to calm down and focus… You are getting too excited, and you might end up making a mistake or missing something important as a result.”

She then pulled by, bringing her hands down, but making sure to keep a hold of Maria’s.

“I understand why you’re so excited and, as a mage myself, I know how important this is for you, but, please… try not to get carried away. Alright?”

Maria seemed hurt for a moment, but Jane could see it dissipate quickly as she met her gaze, the feeling quickly replaced with a newfound vigor, bold and focused this time. Still, even as their hands separated, Jane could feel a longing for her touch once again, the small pleasure she had received from the kiss wanting to be completely satisfied. Jane suppressed the urge, hoping the effects of the moss would quickly leave her body.

---

With Maria calmed down, Jane took the moment to not only quaff one of the mana potions Maria had provided, but to question her as to the effects of this new spell. She seemed at the question, as though uncomfortable you had asked.

“It’s… well, I’m not entirely sure- but it’s not unlike my ability to Daze an opponent…! Just that it has a much stronger effect. I used it more out of reflex than anything else, but I don’t think I’ll really have much need of it – it isn’t a very effective spell…”

She trailed off, her eyes moving to the ground as she finished. Not quite the answer Jane was expecting, but perhaps they just got unlucky with the scroll she had found. Jane consumed the last of the potion as she thought about it, the liquid tasting a bitter-sweet as it ran down her throat. She could already feel the almost indescribable sensation of her magic returning to her, her mana reserves flowing back to her. Not wanting to waste the container, she replaced the stopper and put the empty glass vial back in her pack.

Retroactive Vote: Does Maria drink a potion as well?

Yes or No?
---

Now ready to continue their search, the two girls continued rummaging through the shelves they had been scouring before the rats had interrupted them. Unfortunately, through all the burnt parchment and instruments, all that had been salvageable was the scroll and the vial of silver liquid.

---

Retroactive Vote: Retrieve the crossbow or leave the weapon?

The two girls then continued to the pool in the center of the room, giving the charred remains and the scent of burned hair a wide berth. As they walk around the pool they notice the other rat, it’s body floating in what used to be a crystal clear pool. Jane remembered that there was supposedly some effect to the water in this temple, although what that was, she had not a clue. She looked at the rat, observing it to see if there was any unusual effect, but all she saw was a red stream flowing from its shoulder, its blood trickling from the wound Jane had inflicted. If it was affected somehow, she was unable to discern its effect.

Jane was ready to walk by the pool, and investigate the vial held by the right statue, but Maria stopped her.

“Hold on, I think I have an idea…”

Jane turned around and saw that her friend was waving her over. She remembered now of the metal ring under the water’s surface. As she approached, she saw Maria drawing an arrow from her quiver, holding the end lightly as she knelt down. Jane walked around so she had a better view of the pool and watched as Maria carefully let the arrow dip beneath the surface.

Jane noted how there was still no noticeable effect from the water on the arrow, but she kept a close watch nonetheless. Maria was careful in her work, making sure not to touch the water herself. She deftly maneuvered the arrowhead, pushing the bracelet up against the wall before attempting to “hook” it upon the tip. The piece of jewelry was stubborn, the metal band flipping up a slight bit before tipping off the arrowhead. Maria let out a sound of frustration as she attempted it again and again. It was a tedious process, but one that eventually came through as she hooked the ring on the very tip of the arrow. Carefully she brought it to the surface, hoping what little movement the water did make wouldn’t knock it off. With bated breath and a quick “Ha!” Maria was able to bring it above the surface and deposit it onto the stone floor, a small, metal tink ringing out as it fell.

“Aaah… there we go!” Maria sighed with relief.

Jane could see it much more clearly now: It was actually a silver cuff, a small section of the band missing on one side – one would assume to allow the wearer to slip it on more easily. A dozen sockets were embedded within it, each one the resting place for a small gem. The two girls found it strange however, that only one of the facets was filled, a single, light-pink jewel, square in shape and only a centimeter in size, actually resided in the trinket.

“Well, it’s kind of pretty I suppose – that appears to be a pink sapphire if I’m not mistaken… but with all the gems missing I don’t know who would wear it…”

Maria chuckles a bit as she finishes speaking.

“Or, actually, could you imagine Anna wearing such a thing? Ha! She’d pay someone to rid her of it sooner than don it herself!”

“Hey!” Jane piped up, unable to keep a straight face, “Anna’s not that bad!”

She playfully swatted at her friend, thinking of how Anna would balk at the notion of being seen wearing such a piece… at least not with so many of its jewels missing.

As the bracelet had been in the water, Maria had deposited it on the ground, not wanting to touch any residual water that may have clung to the jewelry. It looked fine now however, and the girls could either keep it, leave it be, or even wear it – it may hold some sort of magic.

Retroactive Vote: What do the girls do with the bracelet?

A) They decide to keep the trinket, storing it in (Jane’s/Maria’s) bag.
B) Jane decides to wear the bracelet.
C) They leave it be.

---

With that over, they continue on to investigate the rest of the room, leaving the chest behind: Jane had her suspicions about the object and thought that whatever was inside could wait until they were on their way out.

They had decided that the last major thing to investigate before they proceeded down the stairs was the field that kept them from casting, but the vial held by the statue on the right side of the doorway. It was completely sealed, no opening or any sort of stopper keeping the contents inside – just solid glass. Jane had considered it before the rat-folk had interrupted them, but it seems as though she might be able to stand up on the statue’s platform and pluck the container from its hand…

Retroactive Vote: Loot the concoction from the statue?

Yes or No?

---

Now, the last thing to investigate before they moved on: This “Anti-magic field”. Maria was the one who sensed it to begin with, so Jane deferred to her expertise on the matter…

Jane watched as Maria held the orb of light she had conjured earlier, walking about the statues, taking small steps forward and backward, tracing patterns around the statue on the left, the statue on the right, and the urn atop the pedestal. All the while, Jane noticed that Maria’s orb of light remained, whatever this field was somehow stopping the casting of magic, but not completely negating its effects.

It took about five minutes or so until Maria finally wandered back to Jane, putting her orb of light back into her pack.

“I’m not entirely sure, and with how everything is flowing I might not be correct, but I am fairly certain it is indeed the urn upon pedestal.”

Jane didn’t know how she was able to figure it out, but she didn’t care to ask – if she did, Maria might not finish before day’s end. Still, she trusted her friend on the matter. The question now however, was what to do about it… it radiated out form a single point and seemed to have a limited range of somewhere between ten and twenty feet. It could also theoretically be moved if need be and could also be quite the asset if they ever ran into the Tethlis, the mage Jackson had mentioned. The urn itself was about a foot tall, metallic, had a small lid on top, and was devoid of any markings or decorations.

Knowing this, Jane and Maria discussed what should be done, if anything at all…

Retroactive Vote: What do the two girls do with/about the urn?

---

With that done, the two continue on their way… heading down the stairs and further into the temple…

==========

Hello, all! Cevrik here to say that I’m going to be going on vacation this Christmas. My flight leaves on Thursday and I will be gone until January 5th. I may check in from time to time, but I will not be writing. I do want to let you know that as soon as that date arrives I shall be back in action and writing. As for the retroactive votes here, I will patch them and make this a “Completed” post before Christmas hits. As for investigating them further, I can do a few small things here and there to allow for a more informed decision depending on the steps you guys want to take.

Have a wonderful holiday – with whatever you may celebrate – and I shall be back to continue our adventures next year!

Until then, Adieu!

Last edited:

omegau

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Yes
leave the weapon
B. I'm too damned curious about what effects it might have. The sockets might not be missing gems, but places to put new gems for additional enchantments.
Yes, take the thing from the thing.
Leave the urn for now. If you take it with you, you won't be able to cast either. Your best chance of using it well is to catch everyone but the mage alone and off guard, off them, then go back for the urn. You can then throw it at the mage to shut him down long enough to kill him.

moonblack

Reputation score

Maria seemed hurt for a moment
Ouch! Not good. We should probably do something about it later.

Anyway, votes:
Yes - she might need the extra mana later.

Yes. Even if it is not working it can be used to bluff opponents or as cover - point the crossbow with one hand and while the target is fixed on it cast a spell with the other. Worst case scenario we can use it as an improvised club.

A) They decide to keep the trinket, storing it in Jane’s bag.

The bracelet could be cursed. It probably isn't but let's not take chances. Later they can get it checked out.

Yes, take it

Nothing at this time. They just memorize its range for later.

xaero

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

moonblack's except for jane wearing the bracelet

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Anyway, votes:

Yes. Even if it is not working it can be used to bluff opponents or as cover - point the crossbow with one hand and while the target is fixed on it cast a spell with the other. Worst case scenario we can use it as an improvised club.

The bracelet could be cursed. It probably isn't but let's not take chances. Later they can get it checked out.

Yes, take it

This. We do not need Jane wearing such a tawdry trinket.

Denmu

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Anyway, votes:

Yes, take it

Sounds good to me.

Minerve

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Yes.
Yes.
B
Yes.
No.

nightshade99

Reputation score

- Does Maria drink a potion as well ?
Yes.

- Retrieve the crossbow or leave the weapon ?
Yes. Check if there is not a safety on that prevented the shot.

What do the girls do with the bracelet ?
B) Jane want to don it.

Loot the concoction from the statue ?
Yes.

What do the two girls do with/about the urn ?
moonblack's explanation.

- Jane use the empty vial (mana potion) to take a sample of water.

tomaito89

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Yes
Yes
Jane's bag
NO (does typing in caps and bold give my vote more weight???)
They grabbed another bag, right? Put the urn in there and bring it, so they can fling it at someone if need be. If nothing else, it'll hurt if they land a hit with it.

moonblack

Reputation score

If it's not too late, then I'd like to add a Minor Action to my earlier votes:
Before Jane and Maria go down the stairs Jane takes Maria's hand, faces her friend and apologizes:
"Maria... I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't mean to hurt you or to force myself on you, I just... I guess I didn't think things through before acting. I'm sorry. I'll try to be more thoughtful in the future and consider your feelings before doing something like that again."

The text is just an example, so Cevrik777 is free to change it if he can come up with a better one.

tomaito89

Sex Demon
Reputation score

@moonblack
The way I read the last post, it seemed Maria was more upset about being told to calm the fuck down (not quite like that) than the kiss itself. I know you said Cevrik777 was free to change the text, but I wanted to make sure we were on the same wavelength first.

moonblack

Reputation score

@tomaito89
I tried - and apparently failed - to include an apology both for the sudden kiss and for the words that were said. Maybe the example text should have been:
"Maria... I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings with what I said, or to force myself on you, I just... I got worried about you, and I... I guess I didn't think things through before acting. I'm sorry. I'll try to be more thoughtful in the future and consider your feelings before doing something like that again."

Is that any better? Or least clearer about what I had in mind?

tomaito89

Sex Demon
Reputation score

@moonblack
Ah. That makes more sense :D