What's new

Any Love for Midi?

Milia

Professional Neko Impersonator
Reputation score
Does anyone else here love midi/electronic music? I recently started playing Brave Soul and I absolutely love the midi music! I'm a sucker for midi and old DOS-style music, I have a special place in my heart for it. What brought this topic up was a review from 2005 I saw for Brave Soul where someone was complaining about the music being midi, and something like no modern games use midi anymore, the quality is sub-par, blah, blah, blah, and I'm like:

I love the retro feel of some games, I love electronic music, the tones, the synth, chiptune/8 bit can be epic, and I like some of the old DOS games, what's not to like? Especially electronic music like the kind Kyrieru has made in his games such as, Kurovadis, Ercoico, and his new game demo, not only that but the samples on his soundcloud.

Anyone else here have any love for midi?

Last edited:

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Any Love for Midi?

Yeah If only there were some awesome modern games using heavily retro style music like that.

That'd make for a great tale you could say.

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score

That'd make for a great tale you could say.
That one almost slipped under my radar, if you know what I mean.

And yes, I love 8-bit and other old tunes. I'm glad there's room for this kind of music even today!

and I could make this list even longer. Great soundtracks right there! :)

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Have a look (Or listen, really) at these

Boktai stuff mainly. It's a good game as well

Mr NunSense

Lesbian Admirer
Reputation score

I wasn't even a teen while playing this on pegasus (a ripoff of nintendo console i think)

Still hum/whistle them sometimes today :)

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Pretty much the soundtrack of the late 90s for me :3

AceofWind

Tentacle God
Reputation score

It's been a long time since I've heard anyone used them in anything besides a youtube video. I know I've heard midi versions of the first themes for Dragon Ball and Ranma 1/2 on some adult websites in the early 2000s as well as heard it used in some of the kiss dolls/kisekae I have lying around. That Zelda page (Odyssey of Hyrule) I used to visit which is surprisingly still up had a midi version of the Gerudo Valley theme playing.

Last edited:

Zelzar

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I myself have always liked the Midi version of Hotline Miami music like

Not because they are good mind you, these are horrible. But there is such a horrific yet beautiful trainwreck of a charm I find in them.

Probably because I grew up listening to Nero's Day at Disneyland quite a lot.

[Sc8]Hardware

Official Curmudgeon
Reputation score

But

Cray Cray Toaster

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I can't even recall ever hearing Midi type of music unless early RPG maker bgm were midi in that case I suppose it's not too bad.

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

Relevant, I am subscribed to this channel:

Darktoz

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Love good midi and oldschool 8 Bit music. 8 Bit Universe on Youtube is worth mentioning. I would love to see more Gamemaker and RPG Maker Game projects using pixel art (Like the PopHorror Vexed Enigma Tileset) and 8 Bit music. Nothing beats retro style :)

AdultSciFi.net

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

It depends on the playback quality. Some midi players use cheap sounding instruments but when the instruments are good they can sound very good. But I preferred the, if I remember correctly, MOD music files that included samples. I remember some C64 games that played mod music and some sounded awesome! I will never forget the Skate or Die music :D

Reactions: XSI