What's new

Anyone who wants to make a game, read and watch this!

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score
Hello, I am WonderBoy. You might have heard of me, I'm that guy who had that great idea for that one game that never came out. Because of that experience, I can share with you the necessity of preproduction in making games. I can share that experience with you, but I won't, because Extra Credits explains the need for this better.

(Link dead)

Also, Dark, If you want to move this into your sticky post or something that's fine by me. It's the kind of thing people should think about before starting a project properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Anyone who wants to make a game, read and watch this!

I'll do you one better.

Randomnone

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

(lending a hand, because a dead sticky is a sad sticky and sticky wants to be alive, usefull, and some sort of emotion.)

heres a live link to the extra credit video:

and to the home page:

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

when making a game to be sold, is it possible for it to be too cheap? using kurovadis as an example, that was 5 dollars, but do you reckon it would have sold less if the price was lower?

NewFace

Mystic Girl
Game Developer
Reputation score

i am the Lord of the hentai game....:D

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

This is an episode from Extra Credits episode talking about how to get started on maekin' the vidya. It talks about the sorta shit you need to keep in mind - keep manageable goals, start small and work your way further, etc. That's important - if you start on making something extremely small, you can expand on that further over time - make one platformer level, and you hit your goal. If your goal is instead a huge game made up of like sixty levels with a bunch of fancy mechanics on top of it, that one platformer level feels really insignificant.

Also realize that resources exist. Apparently one devteam (probably working in Unity) managed to just grab the entirety of their voice chat code from the Unity Asset store, apparently for "less than it would have cost for them all to have gone to the movies."

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

DOUBLE POSTS? DOUBLE POSTS.

I looted this from the amateur game development general thing on 8chan, incidentally. Probably /dev/ or /agdg/ or something, I'm not sure.

sunonrise

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I think another great way for starting out is to first start brainstorming ideas and seeing what sticks. After that just building on what you have and keep adding, asking for feedback if possible. Also it doesn't hurt to start a Game Doc to get your ideas more organized and to layout exactly what you would need throughout your project and give it life.

I don't know how it is for other people, but for me having a road map with a start and end point really helps.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I think another great way for starting out is to first start brainstorming ideas and seeing what sticks. After that just building on what you have and keep adding, asking for feedback if possible. Also it doesn't hurt to start a Game Doc to get your ideas more organized and to layout exactly what you would need throughout your project and give it life.

I don't know how it is for other people, but for me having a road map with a start and end point really helps.
im the kind tht just likes to try nd mke a mechnic + see vvhat comes of it