What's new

ACT Abandoned ******

OP
Arakokra

Arakokra

Reputation score
Demo is password locked behind patreon paywall. What a shame.
After consideration I have decided to lift the password protection for the demo.
Have at it.
I thought that was what everyone did, but realizing I want exposure much more than a handful of dollar bills it was a stupid move.

Last edited:

Assc0bar

Lurker
Reputation score
You can do rotation of free demo and paywall demo like every month / few months, thats pretty normal.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
You can do rotation of free demo and paywall demo like every month / few months, thats pretty normal.
Best of both worlds really, you get both increased exposure and you can give the people donating something (though it's not technically necessary to do so alot of people feel that it is).

goodolrub

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
basically release demo for patrons then release the same demo for non patrons later,lots of devs do that and i see no problem with it.

neutral

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
that opening area is a tad too difficult, especially with no checkpoints. A fair amount of spikes you can accidentally fall into. Theres also an annoyingly placed enemy near a choke point, abit after I get the fire scroll where shes slightly too low to hit, but the ceiling is too low to reliably jump over her. I had to take damage and hope I fell in the opposite direction. I made it up to when the second enemy type drops from the ceiling to ambush you and just kinda decided i'd had enough after so much trial and error. Needs checkpoints, or at least health pickups of some sort.

OP
Arakokra

Arakokra

Reputation score
basically release demo for patrons then release the same demo for non patrons later,lots of devs do that and i see no problem with it.
That's what I've decided, probably the best way to go about it for now

that opening area is a tad too difficult, especially with no checkpoints. A fair amount of spikes you can accidentally fall into. Theres also an annoyingly placed enemy near a choke point, abit after I get the fire scroll where shes slightly too low to hit, but the ceiling is too low to reliably jump over her. I had to take damage and hope I fell in the opposite direction. I made it up to when the second enemy type drops from the ceiling to ambush you and just kinda decided i'd had enough after so much trial and error. Needs checkpoints, or at least health pickups of some sort.
That part where you get ambushed is actually the end of what I have so far. The HP was tweaked so that it should be doable after a few tries. 4 from 6 because 6 made it effortless I felt.
You aren't the only one to mention the tight jump at that part. In the next update I'll raise the ceiling there by a tile so it's more reliable.

Edit: Because they were easy tweaks, I've increased the width of that hall where you have to jump over the slime and also deceased the knockback when hit during shielding significantly. Overall this should make it much easier for those that were having difficulty. Like I said right after the goblin dropdown is all that's implemented so far, right after is planned to be the checkpoint where you gain a new mechanic to restore SP.

By the way, can everyone hear the sound okay? So many H games start at MAX VOLUME and blow out my eardrums so I tried to learn from that and made everything start at ~20% volume.

Last edited:

cell943

Reputation score
I can hear some of the fighting sound effects, but the rest are a bit low.

neutral

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Barely audible. Alot of game devs have their sound at either 40, 50, or 70.

Untamed

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
Lack of save function or health items is frustrating

OP
Arakokra

Arakokra

Reputation score
I can hear some of the fighting sound effects, but the rest are a bit low.
Barely audible. Alot of game devs have their sound at either 40, 50, or 70.
Ah shoot really? Hm, I'll have to up the sound a few percentage points in the next actual update. Thanks for letting me know

Lack of save function or health items is frustrating
Surprised people are mentioning this so much since there's only three levels with any actual threat. This demo is very short and meant almost solely to show off movement, some mechanics, and pixel art style. If I haven't made that clear then that's my bad.
But don't worry, the point where it says 'there isn't anything after this' will be leading to the first NPC safe room with the save point where you learn a new mechanic and can buy things from her (like health potions)

Hearing peoples frustrations though I may just make it even easier, increase total HP at start from 4 to 5 or even back to 6. I also need to implement leveling up at some point which will likely include an HP boost stat so its less of an issue. But honestly, what fun is a game if it's 100% a cakewalk?

In the meantime: Someone mentioned they tried to go back on level 5 to level 4 and they fell through the map. I've fixed this issue in todays 140719 update.

Last edited:

IAmAKi

Reputation score
First impressions so far is that the game looks pretty good! No point mentioning about the difficulty because this is a very early demo without all the necessary items implemented.
Instead I'm gonna look at gameplay and level issues that might be overlooked.

- In the area with the three slimes shooting at you from both sides, the character can barely jump high enough to get up the ledge. I think the character's second jump height should be increased by a few pixels to help with making this a more reliable jump to clear.
- The first spear girl can sometimes hit you if you're standing on the one block high ledges in her little... arena thing. I think it's because she's not pushed back far enough when she hits a wall, so maybe adjust the knockback specifically for hitting walls if possible?

So far so good. Looking forward to seeing what the next update's gonna hold.

Blak San

Reputation score
Got interested because of the struggling mechanic. I've been hoping to see that in FoBS, but never got to.
The art and animation are also interesting and I'm happy to see the game since I don't get to play many side-scrolling games with monstergirls.
Now some technical rant:
The 2nd jump is a real problem, its definitely too weak. At this point instead of timing the 2nd jump it's better to skip it and get the maximum out of first one.
There's also a not small problem, which is fighting enemies below.
The attack will not reach them and player is forced to get very close. It's a very annoying way to lose HP, especially if you just started playing the game and you are trying to learn the mechanics.

I think there's not much to add since so far the gameplay is very simple, except I found 2 minor bugs:
1. When I simultaneously was jumping and using basic attack, usually the second attack is silent and I think(but I'm not sure), that the animation is ending earlier then it should.
2. this

OP
Arakokra

Arakokra

Reputation score
Thank you for the comments and reports
Edit: I've gone ahead and changed the text in the instructions to explicitly state that the key must be held down, this is now included in the 160719 version. I'm also making it impossible to clear the first intro stage without using this mechanic. I didn't even realize you could originally without holding down the key.

I've been hearing a lot about the jumping, many folks are saying it's too little and practically 'pixel perfect' and it makes me wonder.
Are you all -holding down- the jump key? Please tell to me if you are or aren't, because if you aren't then that means it isn't obvious that that's what you have to do and I MUST fix that. I can definitely see why you'd think jumping has to be almost 'pixel perfect'. This is a huge thing as its what lets you jump over enemies, get behind them to shoot them when you're originally in the higher position, etc.

I can see what you mean about the double jump, it only adds about 1 more tile of height, I'll consider tweaking it a few decimals.

The bugs:
The goblin speargirl does have that issue and I'm looking into it. Should have it solved by the next big update
Testing it there does seem to be an intermittent issue with the jump attack if you hit X and C at exactly the same time. Added to the bug list
Ah yeah, collision issues. They're a pain, but luckily you can walk out of it by just moving the other direction. At the moment my biggest concern is getting physically stuck in walls and unable to leave them. I'll continue to fix the collision code as things arise. Sorry you saw that bit of getting stuck, normally happens due to hitting a corner at an odd angle.

Edit Edit: Update finished, you can find it on my page. Again I'm sorry for not explicitly stating this. I really should have assumed after so many trash control H games people would just assume controls are bad rather than there being an alternative.
But hey, that's what these early growing pain stages of game development are for. To make sure those that come after are guaranteed fun, while those first poor souls suffered.

Attachments

Last edited:

Blak San

Reputation score
I tend to not hold down the key when jumping and use 2nd jump instead, since it makes for more accurate jumping.
But in this case the double jump isn't that useful for vertical jumps, though it's still useful for horizontal jumps.

The collision bug didn't cause any problems. The bug seems to be hard to replicate, while it's effortless for me to take a screenshot of it.

IAmAKi

Reputation score
Uhh, yep... been jumping and holding down the key to do so. I played a lot of mario games so it's sort of a habit.
As others have said though, the second jump is still quite short and I think that's where the problem lies.

savedata

Reputation score
Cute little platformer.
Some tight jumps buckled up with active enemies and no checkpoint in between at the very beginning all combined is probably the reason why some people are rather taken back by it, I don't mind it personally.
I'm more interested in the H, you have some nice art, I hope you don't fall in with the rest of shota games and make 90% of animations cowgirl.
And since you describe it as having shota and straight shota elements, does that mean it will have stuff besides monster girls take on MC?

laugh

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Looks awesome, they have said that there will be upgrades and healing, etc so the initial difficulty is probably fine.
The second jump is definitely lacking, I also found at times trying to second jump after getting peak of first wouldn't let me jump again. Maybe the first jump can be lowered and the second increased, not sure.