What's new

Chapter 1: Fort Barthone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Fort Barthone, a small castle on the Eastern edge of the Celthor Empire, in the Leralyne County. The ruler is Lady Alysha Ferjan, who currently in her 34th year of life, has ruled for 16 years.

The empire is currently on campaign to the south, fighting the Orc tribes to expand the borders and claim the precious Ores and tough timber in the Orc lands. While the bulk of the military fights to the south, an Orc warchief, banded with Gnoll mercenaries, cut away from the main area of conflict to encircle Fort Barthone, to make the first strike back against the Celthor Empire.

For two days now, the castle has been undersiege, trapping its soldiers and all sorts of travellers inside her walls. The two messengers that tried to send a out a warning were sent back without their heads. For now, the survival of all inside would depends upon the bravery of those trapped within.

~~~~~~~~~~~

As the third day dawned, the harsh call of Orc commanders echoed across the flat grassland between the enemy encampments surrounding Fort Barthone and the castle itself. No attack was coming just yet, but the guards standing atop the walls looking out over the green skinned invaders had their bows strung, ready for them to advance.

Already crows circled above, feasting on the remains of the battles from the previous days, the Imperial defenders not allowing the Orcs to retrieve their dead. The Empire's dead were being burned in the once beautiful courtyard. A great pit dug in once marvelous gardens flickered with flame that consumed bodies brought down by enemy arrows, or crushed by catapult rocks.

Lady Alysha stood by that pit, nose crinkled against the stench, brown hair waving slightly in the gentle wind that crept over the walls. Clad in her armour, red Imperial cape fluttering from her shoulders, and a sword sheathed at her hip, she was ready to send these Orc invaders back to hell.

fanta23

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Chapter 1: Fort Barthone

Samira exits from the warm encloser of the guard's mess hall and notices a lone figure standing over the large grave. Samira pulls her cloak hood onto her head and begins to walk over to the figure. When Samira reachs the figure she stands at a distance but gives a prayer in elfish to the dead both to the sun and to the ancestors. (Samira believes in both elven religions) After the prayer Samira bows her hooded head and begins a silent prayer for her self.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Lady Alysha turned to regard the newcomer, and offered a simple nod of thanks at the prayers. The dead had given their lives for the Empire, and they should be honoured.
"We're going to have to be strict with our rationing. We're all going to be at least a little hungry for awhile," the noble said to Samira.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

A tall figure steps into the courtyard. The richly decorated armor speaks of nobility, but a veil of scalemail hides her features. Her cold blue eyes rest on the burning pit for a moment. They failed. I will not be so incapable. Indeed, Lady Sharyn holds very little respect for the dead.

The knight walks up to Lady Alysha, removing the veil and casually wrapping it around the skull cap that comes with it. The rings braided in her hair are quietly clicking against each other. "So what is the plan on driving them away, Mylady?" She jerks her chin towards the wall - or more exactly, the enemy soldiers behind it.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The sound of metal clanking against the ground in rapid succession was heard throughout the halls, and courtyards of Barthone, sounds originating from a lone human man named Deagan, clad almost completely in his protective armor, yet still managing to run quickly thanks to his own personal training. To most, he seemed in a very big rush to go somewhere, and they would be right. Deagan received a summon to speak with Lady Alysha to get acquainted with his stay as a mercenary knight, and to orient him on how he can help stem the tide of the invasion... While the summon itself, was received quite a long time ago, as Deagan shamelessly fell back asleep shortly after being woken up for the summon.

"Oh, this is bad!" he announced aloud while running at his quick pace, "I hope she isn't gonna be pissed at me!" He prayed, as the one thing he felt helpless against, was an angry woman, having been under heavy teachings by who he claims was his father, which taught him to show a great deal of respect for the other gender.

And, after a moment longer, Deagan reached the courtyard, breathing heavily, eyes searching for Lady Alysha. And when he saw her standing by the foul pit, he covered his nose a moment in disgust, before moving at a jog over to her. Then, standing off to her side, Deagan stood straight, before wiping some sweat off of his brow. "... Sorry for being late." he apologized embarrassedly.

Last edited:

Mirchie

The user previously known as Hero-in-the-Dark
Reputation score

A rather average-height individual approaches the pit, a thick cloak wrapped around his shoulders, and trailing on the floor, while his mail glitters in the fire-light, his shield slung across his back, an arrow shaft sticking near the boss. He had come to pay his respects to a recently deceased Lieutenant, and acknowledged the rest of the gatherers with a nod, pausing briefly to salute Lady Alysha, and give a short greeting, "Milady." Before turning to the pit, head bowed.

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Kara Nightshade stood off to one side herself, having only been passing through when the siege had begun. She had been tempted to try getting out herself, but the message had been abundantly clear after the bodies were sent back. She wasn't foolish enough to believe that she could, even with minions, outrun these things.

And so she stood there, regarding the burial grounds with icy blue eyes, considering options. This place was rich in those who had fallen, making it an ample ground for her own dark magics. But unlike most Necromancers, Kara had worked on other dark magic while she'd been honing her summoning skill. She'd never really thought she'd have to use it, but now she was left with no choice.

She caught some of the conversation off to one side, her face showing no visible reaction to the words spoken. Kara had in fact had fought with her own sword the past two days, and was beginning to tire of the orc's foul breath. She appeared human, but it was only because of her mixed heritage that she could pass that way. Her hair was arranged to cover the less than perfectly round ears that gave away her elfin ancestry, and she had yet to cast a single spell during this time. That would change today.

She briefly let her gaze travel to the other Necromancer amongst them, silently nodding. She'd seen the aura of magic around the other, and had known instantly. Simply by using her magic, had her identity as a Necromancer been confirmed.

She did however, speak upon the lady mentioning their ration situations.

"Better hungry than dead mylady. While I think we all appreciate the sacrifice those who have fallen gave, I don't think any of us is eager to join them in the after life quite yet?"

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

From the smithy set into castle at one side of the courtyard, a figure emerges and starts heading to the walls where many of the foot soldiers are. It is hard to tell much about them from the grime and soot covering the person and their clothes given that they, like the few other smiths, had been working the forge non-stop since the beginning of the siege and now the smoke from the forge fires was literally caked onto them.

The smith then calls out in a rough voice, I know some of you would rather not use the weapons and armor of the dead, but we've managed to repair a fair amount of it. Those of you with broken or heavily damaged stuff should come over to the smithy and switch out your gear. I don't know much about fighting, but I do know that damaged gear might result in your asses, and after that my ass, getting skewered on an orc spear. So would you kindly not be stubborn enough to hold on to your damaged gear when we have some fixed stuff? The smith finishes, before glancing about at the soldiers and heading back towards the smithy. The soldiers might have time to goof off until the fight started, but there were still more weapons and armor to fix.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

In the shadows stood Kemili, who probably compared to the others was seeming out of place, with the flamboyent straps and leather buckles that passed as armor barely looked defenseable, possibly the strongest piece being the equipment belt slung around her waist. Still, she was a fighter, and that was what had counted.

Looking at the party as she leaned back against one of the taller graves- a anchient one that was large enough the half-drow in shadow. Still, her eyes didn't waver from the group- most importantly, their leader.

fanta23

Lurker
Reputation score

Samira now done with her silent prayers acknowledged the group and turned back to the mess hall and kitchen. She thought if they were going to start getting smaller rations then she might grab a small stash of food for safe keeping.
Samira noticed a soot covered figure talking to the humans on duty as she walked to the kitchen. She heard many more humans as well Samira didn't dislike humans she just disliked their amount of noise and sloppy movements. Samira noticed a few elves in the castle but most were magic users and they always just didn't feel right to Samira. Samira felt some wierd vibration when she passed by magic users almost like they were not supposed to be, so Samira kept her distance. Finally in the Kitchen of the castle she began to stealthly make a grab for some food.

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

Enigma lets out a yawn as she strolls into the courtyard from wherever she had been previously, having been content the past two days to let the soldiers take care of the orc invasion. War wasn't her business really, that was for the soldiers, officers, and other people to take care of. After all, what place did a scholar have on the battlefield? True she could hold her own fairly well using magic and perhaps a bow, but she still saw little need for her to assist. This in turn... caused her to appear lackadasical and carefree as she walked in on the gathering.

"Hmm? Oh, so that's what that smell was. Was wondering about that earlier... Although I'm missing why we're burning corpses again. Those are quite useful you know."

It should be noted that Enigma lacked any real respect or hostility in her tone of voice, speaking and treating Lady Alysha as any other person...

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The weight of responsibility weighed upon her shoulders and Lady Alysha looked between the various people whom spoke to her. She returned the casual salute to Roy, and nodded gravely to Kara's spoken statement.

When Enigma asked her question Alysha cocked an eyebrow, holding out a hand to tell Deagan to wait; he was late after all. The gesture also asked Lady Sharyn to be patient.

"We burn the corpses to prevent disease. Besides, I'm sure a necromancer can use blackened bones for soldiers should the need arise," Alysha told the woman, not entirely keen on her dead warriors rising once more.

She finally turned to regard Sharyn, still asking Deagan to wait. "We don't have the numbers to sally out against them, even with undead soldiers at our disposal. We will have to hope for reinforcements else we may very well not survive. Luckily the well behind the keep taps into the underground stream for a constant supply of fresh water. Unless you have any ideas, we will be stuck on the defensive," Alysha told her fellow noble.

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

"Point, although animating burning corpses and lobbing them out of catapults is still better in my book. Or at least a bit more interesting to watch. Flying skeletons don't really have the same effect. Well, unless it's a dragon but even then..."

Enigma seemed to drone on for a bit, stopping to ponder on an idea that had struck her in the middle... then dismissed it shortly after, along with any notion of her lending a hand for the moment.

"Then again, it's your war to fight anyway, so not my problem really. I 'am' mostly a pacifist after all...so I'm content with watching from the sidelines. Good luck?"

((Bleh, I am not liking this post at all... >.>))

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Initially, Sharyn frowns at Lady Alysha's choice of answering the lowly necromancer - grave robbers and heretics, every single one of them - before addressing a fellow noble. At the mention of a dragon though, Lady Sharyn's eyes light up significantly. A wyvern or even a wyrm- now that would be a real challenge worthy of a Knight of Bearskard.

Licking her lips, she asks, "they - don't happen to have a dragon at their disposal, do they? I'm. . . at least theoretically trained in dragon hunting, and I've been itching to put it to the test."

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

The slaver gave a yawn as she moved on. The talk with the queen bored her, and she wanted to get a good view of the opposition, soon reaching one of the more-secure portions of the wall.

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Alysha frowned slightly at the mention of dragons, her eyes locked with the fellow noble.

"If they do somehow have dragons leashed to their will, then they have yet to show it here. The battles to the south could be a different story however," the castle's commander said.

Guards strolled the wall, occasionally nodding at the slaver walking amongst them. They looked out between parapets to gaze at the enemy encampments surrounding them, just out of reach of their arrows, and the ballistas atop the tower. Smoke from the enemy campfires drifted lazily up into the sky, the Orcs shuffling between their tents, their figures vague in the distance. There were a great many of them, though just not enough to overrun Fort Barthone.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Lady Sharyn stares back at Lady Alysha for a moment too long before bowing her head. "Very well. I did not mean to imply that I wish this castle the horror of a dragon descending down upon it, no matter the kind."
It would surely beat this sitting around and doing nothing, The redheaded knight thought, but was wise enough not to say it out loud.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

((Since I wasn't nixed.))

As Kemili walks the walls, she notices a young woman sitting near one of the breaks, leaning back slightly so as to have a better angle at viewing the encampment beyond. There's a tell-tale squint to her eyes, one even scrunched closed, checking her range of sight. She doesn't seem to have the same bearing, or uniform, as the guards stationed here.

Not immediately, but she does eventually become aware that someone's approaching, her gaze turning before her body does. Though she doesn't lose the casual posture she was reclining in, she's obviously studying Kemili. From the flick of her eyes, she's following the work of the armor she's got on, but she doesn't look very impressed by it. Her gaze also seems to keep returning to the other's face and Kemili likely recognizes it as one who's never seen a drow before, even a half one. For the moment, anyway, she doesn't seem inclined to bother the drow, letting her go about her business.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Deagan, eventually growing tired of having only the noble's hand as someone to talk to, decided to test just how much she was paying attention to him. He took a single step behind her a little, a little more out of her sight. And he noticed that her hand was still pointed at where he was. A smile formed on his face, chuckling a little, "Couldn't have been that important!" he noted, before quickly, but quietly slipping away. And if Alysha didn't forget about him completely, she'd find that he'd be long gone, out of sight.

"Sorry, My Lady," he said aloud once he was out of earshot, "But I've got better things to do than talk to your bleedin' hand."

Walking up many steps, towards the fort walls, Deagan wanted to do something, anything to relieve his constantly growing lust for battle. But, eventually, after he'd reached the top of the tower overlooking the battlefield, he suddenly was stopped by a bored guard, "Hey, you!" said a drunken voice. And when Deagan turned to look, his eyes narrowed at the sight of a not-so-sober castle guard.

The man looked Deagan over, at all of the strange symbols on his armor, and even his weapon, "Where do you hail from...? Never seen symbols like that before... You from out of the country?" the man asked nosily.

Deagan shook his head, knocking the man's hand off of his shoulder, "None of your business," he said simply.

But, the man kept prying for some reason, too drunk to mind himself, as he reached a hand in, and pryed at Deagan's collar around his neck, "Hey, that's a slave collar!" the man announced a bit too loudly for Deagan's liking, "We got an escaped slave here!"

The man was suddenly silenced when Deagan found he'd reached his limit, as his fist landed right on the man's brow, knocking the unbalanced man back, and on his ass. Deagan quickly walked away in a hurry from the scene, quickly trying to push his way past the people walking along the tower, until his haste got the better of him, and he accidentally bumped into the very person that might have heard the word, 'slave' escape from the man's mouth.

As Deagan bumped into Kemili, he was about to apologize quickly, and move on, until he recognized her slaver outfit, and at the same time, she might recognize the slave collar around his neck...

(I hope this'll get something goin in this RP for my character, else I'm out)

Last edited:

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Kemili was about to comment to the strange looks that the other woman was giving her, when suddenly the other person half-bowled her over. "Hey, watch where you're going!" she yelled as she manages to catch her balence without falling over.

At this point, the guard would be scampering after Deagen most likes, and it's hard to ignore the man's comments when the drunken slurs and yells as he tipsily moved towards the pair.

Kemili's response to the man's yells was a loud sigh, before looking to the person that had hit her. She did seem to focus on the collar, but then again, it didn't seem to preterb her too much as she stalked over to the drunk guard- and bitchslapped him as hard as he could.

"You IDIOT!" she hissed. "You're wanting to lock up one of the few fighters we got!?! Be lucky he didn't push you over the wall, which would be the LEAST of your worries unless you clear off!"

Status
Not open for further replies.