What's new

Copy protection / DRM in games and applications

Sharcuzi

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Has to be the worst type of cancer invented. I have purchased 2 games from dlsite that have copy protection, one of them used to work before and the other I haven't got to play because of it. It seems turning AV feature of my internet security solves the problem, though it's not like my AV program is detecting anything as spyware or virus.

It's very odd, unfortunate, yet I still think this is BS. I don't have this problem with any other software that requires "activation", be it some photo image program like Lightroom. Or a music program like reaper that I have. Sad how 99% of the programs work but some of these shitty DRM stuff really doesn't work?

I've tried troubleshooting this issue with dlsite, and they seem to be helpful with the issue, but they don't seem to acknowledge that maybe this is not such a good feature to be putting on some games? I could pirate these 2 games with a google search if I wanted to, and maybe even ask for refund for them. Maybe I'm too lazy, or there's some other reason?

There's some camera software though that has very much same type of problem, software doesn't launch, and this time nothing seems to be fixing the problem. I tried looking system event logs / try look if the software creates logs... but it's like the dlsite's problem, their "programs" don't create logs. You can't fix/troubleshoot programs that don't create logs / don't give error codes. That's truly beyond fuck'd up.

Why is it that some of these more "aggressive" stuff are thought to be "OK"? I think dlsite uses "tages" in some of their games (or some other thing), and I think the camera program "activation" is very aggressive too. If makers of big apps like Adobe, Ableton, Steinberg, Sony don't have as problematic activation systems, why the .... do some ppl think it's good idea to make things harder than they need to be? Look Steam, that's perfect DRM imo and works the best. But noo, some ppl want to have intrusive DRM..

I think this just goes to show how bad some ppl are, how bad their code is when it doesn't really work in all systems/configurations. Most other apps be it pirated or legit work on my system, but these ultra-high DRM stuff? They don't work even when I'm legit customer.

Last edited: