What's new

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Spaced out reading steam reviews for Darksiders 3, seems like alot of people are as disappointed as I am about the combat.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

It's been like 6 years since the last one XD

Though to be fair darksiders 2 didn't live up to my expectations either, just in a different way is all. I've never liked diablo lootgrind.

ThatWeirdGuyWithaWeirdHat

The Gentleman Thief
Reputation score

It's been like 6 years since the last one XD

Though to be fair darksiders 2 didn't live up to my expectations either, just in a different way is all. I've never liked diablo lootgrind.

Yeah I was one of the people who left a bad review. I didn't really mind the loot system. If you do your fair share of side quests, which you should in any RPG hack-n-slash if you don't want to get trampled late game, the loot system is bearable. What made it so was that combat was fun and always flowing. in DS3 you get punished for way too much here. Hit the dodge button a millisecond too early? You will now get juggled by the 3 enemies and instantly die. Especially since Fury's attacks were made for 1v1 fights.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

You're absolutely right, fury's combat style is geared almost completely towards dueling whereas enemies attack in groups.

There is a mod for your weapons that will increase the dodge I-frames quite a bit (the patch did too apparently, but I haven't put it on yet) to the point where even if I miss the perfect dodge I still I-frame through any single-hit non-delayed attack. FYI: it seems like you can have 3 mods equipped and active at once, one on your whip, one on your sub-weapon, and one on the
chakram
. Not that it helps with causing damage since enemies just hyper-armor trough any combos you initiate if you don't stagger them with a perfect-dodge counter. But hey you get to screw up a few more times before you die ;p

My complaints about the change in style of combat aside it's NOT a bad game by any means. Just a little short and not what I'd expected/wanted out of a darksiders title. If they ever make a D4 I'll be interested to see what direction they take things as Strife comes off as a ranged combat type (striker if you're used to D&D 4th or 5th ED) whereas War is obviously the tank, Death is the spellsword (a weeeezard that can melee). Fury? I don't know what archetype fury fits, since I've never found a counter-spammy archetype. Maybe we'll get some sick gun-fu out of him. I won't be purchasing it if it's another souls-like-lite though as I just cannot support the whitewashing of the industry with anything that's hip and trendy.

Fuck me, I really should have posted this in EE.

The Gentleman Thief
Reputation score

You're absolutely right, fury's combat style is geared almost completely towards dueling whereas enemies attack in groups.

There is a mod for your weapons that will increase the dodge I-frames quite a bit (the patch did too apparently, but I haven't put it on yet) to the point where even if I miss the perfect dodge I still I-frame through any single-hit non-delayed attack. FYI: it seems like you can have 3 mods equipped and active at once, one on your whip, one on your sub-weapon, and one on the
chakram
. Not that it helps with causing damage since enemies just hyper-armor trough any combos you initiate if you don't stagger them with a perfect-dodge counter. But hey you get to screw up a few more times before you die ;p

My complaints about the change in style of combat aside it's NOT a bad game by any means. Just a little short and not what I'd expected/wanted out of a darksiders title. If they ever make a D4 I'll be interested to see what direction they take things as Strife comes off as a ranged combat type (striker if you're used to D&D 4th or 5th ED) whereas War is obviously the tank, Death is the spellsword (a weeeezard that can melee). Fury? I don't know what archetype fury fits, since I've never found a counter-spammy archetype. Maybe we'll get some sick gun-fu out of him. I won't be purchasing it if it's another souls-like-lite though as I just cannot support the whitewashing of the industry with anything that's hip and trendy.

Fuck me, I really should have posted this in EE.

She was ADVERTISED to be a battle-mage (a weeeezard that CAN melee but prefers not to since their spells do more damage). She was originally supposed to be just sub-servant to the council who was supposed to find her individuality while fighting the Sins. Now she's this feminist, Anita Sarkeesian wannabe who looks NOTHING like her original design in the Darksiders comic (her hair isn't even the same color) who has to learn to like humans? That's not only dumb, since it's her JOB TO PROTECT THEM, but it's cliche as FUCK!

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Honestly didn't sense any femnazi while playing. And you KNOW I go out of my way to find it. Also very seldom do I look at the promises of game publishers, so I had no idea she was supposed to play as something decent. As for character development yeah, they certainly fell short of their goal. It was very weird and alot of the time I wondered if I was viewing scenes out of order or had skipped some pivotal plot point.

The Gentleman Thief
Reputation score

Honestly didn't sense any femnazi while playing. And you KNOW I go out of my way to find it. Also very seldom do I look at the promises of game publishers, so I had no idea she was supposed to play as something decent. As for character development yeah, they certainly fell short of their goal. It was very weird and alot of the time I wondered if I was viewing scenes out of order or had skipped some pivotal plot point.
Every time she says something about humans in the first part of the game, replace humans with men and you'll see what I mean...

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I uninstalled it already XD

Honestly though, humans are pretty big bitches in the Darksiders storyline. I mean it's kind of the point of the conspiracy that they can't defend themselves in the conflict.