What's new

RPG [Ahriman] 風紀剣士アサギ/ Defender of Public Morals: Swordswoman Asagi (RJ149951)

Sunshaded

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Defender of Public Morals: Swordswoman Asagi (Ahriman) 風紀剣士アサギ

Ahriman has released a demo for , his latest work.
As someone who mostly just reads subscribed threads without visiting the forum index, and thus wouldn't have see the new thread for this, I appreciate the heads up. And thanks to lazycat for linking to the correct thread.

@shadowman Sounds like things have settled down already to me, not that heated arguments always necessarily require moderator intervention. :p

To anyone who's curious, The Moral Sword of Asagi is an incorrect/loose translation done by the staff of DLsite English who do the same for many other DLsite products' titles. Public Morals Swordswoman Asagi or Disciplinary Swordswoman Asagi would be better. The "fuuki" in Fuuki Kenshi Asagi is the "fuuki" of the public morals committee / disciplinary committee (those are the 2 most common ways of putting it) that you see in anime and manga--students whose job it is to stop other students from running in the halls, violating the dress code, and being late to class. The title of Touninden (Upended Ninja Legend, maybe?) and this new game are a little harder to translate properly because the style of the title matches the feudal Japan atmosphere and thus crams a bunch of kanji together...

Now, I'm off to look into this new game.

OP
Donny

Donny

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Since I've already mentioned earlier that the translation thread uses the English DLSite title.
(Don't think you're the same person who negrep'd me with 'tl;dr posts' like some sort of loser who can't handle arguments, but whatever)

So...update the thread title? Since you've said you have no problem with it.

p.s. Did you take my suggestion on asking your teacher about that particular line? I think it'd be a good learning experience.
I just got back from a wilderness survival class where there was no internet, so I'll be updating the name shortly. It looks like I'll have to put in a request with a moderator since the only option I have under thread tools to modify the thread is deletion.

And since I'm doing self study (my college dropped a bunch of classes including all courses for Japanese, so I'm pretty much on my own) I'll just have to try reading it once I'm at that level of raw reading ability.

P.s. Nope, I didn't negrep you, I got the same thing for my part of the tantrum. I did give you some rep for being a fellow hentai connoisseur though.

lazycat

Lurker
Reputation score

And since I'm doing self study (my college dropped a bunch of classes including all courses for Japanese, so I'm pretty much on my own) I'll just have to try reading it once I'm at that level of raw reading ability.
Ouch, that really sucks :<

Well, I'll try to explain it my way then;
From this sentence:
みんな死なないでね?

みんな = everyone
死なない = 'don't die', because death (死) here is considered an adjective (state of being dead), what's here is closer to 'do not become dead' which is really awkward in English, so 'don't die'. 死ない would be 'no death', as in there's no state of death rather than implying survival.
でね? = で here is a more casual form of please (kudasai), ね a cutesy ending. It being a question form is to show the person speaking that line isn't so sure of the rate of survival either.

To make it 'won't you all please die?' as the other guy mistranslate would be something like
みんな死んでくれない?

As for why I felt the title you offered was wrong, it's partly because I think the title is in the same vein as Asagi, as in describing her occupation (as Sunshaded explained earlier), BUT with more wordplays slapped on top.

To dissect the title.
鎮 - town/ temple supervisor
魔剣 - demon sword/magic sword
風伝 - THIS is likely a wordplay based on the public moral part in Asagi's title (風紀), although I'm not sure what's the best way to put it into English properly either.
アオイ - her name Aoi

For example, one interpretation is that she's a preacher from the temple (whereas Asagi work based on existing moral standard, Aoi spreads the morality standard from her temple) who wields demonic sword.

Another is she's the town's moral intermediary (near literal translation of those 2 particular kanjis), mediating between various factions, and of course wields demonic sword.

Maybe I'd have better idea if I play the trial -x - but when I unpacked the files and see how little content it has it kinda killed my motivation for it (most of the images are in rough draft stages still)

Reactions: XII
OP
Donny

Donny

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

From this sentence:
みんな死なないでね?

みんな = everyone
死なない = 'don't die', because death (死) here is considered an adjective (state of being dead), what's here is closer to 'do not become dead' which is really awkward in English, so 'don't die'. 死ない would be 'no death', as in there's no state of death rather than implying survival.
でね? = で here is a more casual form of please (kudasai), ね a cutesy ending. It being a question form is to show the person speaking that line isn't so sure of the rate of survival either.

To make it 'won't you all please die?' as the other guy mistranslate would be something like
みんな死んでくれない?

As for why I felt the title you offered was wrong, it's partly because I think the title is in the same vein as Asagi, as in describing her occupation (as Sunshaded explained earlier), BUT with more wordplays slapped on top.

To dissect the title.
風伝 - THIS is likely a wordplay based on the public moral part in Asagi's title (風紀), although I'm not sure what's the best way to put it into English properly either.
アオイ - her name Aoi

For example, one interpretation is that she's a preacher from the temple (whereas Asagi work based on existing moral standard, Aoi spreads the morality standard from her temple) who wields demonic sword.

Another is she's the town's moral intermediary (near literal translation of those 2 particular kanjis), mediating between various factions, and of course wields demonic sword.

Maybe I'd have better idea if I play the trial -x - but when I unpacked the files and see how little content it has it kinda killed my motivation for it (most of the images are in rough draft stages still)
I see, thanks a bunch for your breakdown.

The second meaning looks like it's the case here. Aoi starts off by inspecting a shrine at the head-of the-shrine's request while she is away.

Two suspicious hooligans appear, coming out one of the shrine's entrances.

Like a police officer (or even more so like a moral intermediary like you said), she's suspicious of their claim of being the shrine's caretaker from the start since a shrine is only supposed to house women.

(That, along with the sounds of women moaning and general racket from within the holy walls of the shrine throughout her questioning of the men).

Her suspicions are confirmed when one of the shrine maidens run outside to escape, followed out by another henchman. Their cover blown, the men decide to "get rid of" Aoi by adding her into their tamed harem of recently overrun shrine maidens, initiating the first fight of the game.

Last edited:

XII

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

i think somebody gone negrep spree here, since i got a negrep too

but really "Welcome to ULMF. Most if not all of the "translations" rely on machine translators." could be done through PM or VM not negrep, its like i've been reported to police by a stranger because i call a broken product a broken product, sorry if thats not a good analogy

lastly i apologize for being off-topic, and i'm glad the argument quieted down without need of a mod intervention

EDIT: i just realized i probably will get more negrep from this...

EDIT2: thanks to everyone who +rep me, since repping always anonymous i could only thank this way

Last edited:

Balmunk Fezarion

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

From this sentence:
みんな死なないでね?

みんな = everyone

みんな死んでくれない?

To dissect the title.
アオイ - her name Aoi

Sorry to interrupt but "鎮" here means to suppress something, under this context it's more like demon-killing thing.
It could be like 鎮魔剣 風伝 or 鎮魔 剣風伝, but it is hard to dissect it because it is like a chain of abbreviations that relates to each other.
I could be wrong but the whole thing goes like "The tale/legend of Aoi who wields the demon-killing sword".
It sounds really lame since I'm not good at translating them into text.
In Asian language the movies/game names are usually a series of cool-sounding abbreviations while in English it is more simplistic. So we often see really weird or stupidly long English titles.

lazycat

Lurker
Reputation score

Sorry to interrupt but "鎮" here means to suppress something, under this context it's more like demon-killing thing.
It could be like 鎮魔剣 風伝 or 鎮魔 剣風伝, but it is hard to dissect it because it is like a chain of abbreviations that relates to each other.
I could be wrong but the whole thing goes like "The tale/legend of Aoi who wields the demon-killing sword".
It sounds really lame since I'm not good at translating them into text.
In Asian language the movies/game names are usually a series of cool-sounding abbreviations while in English it is more simplistic. So we often see really weird or stupidly long English titles.
You're probably right, googling just the kenfuuden part does bring up several entries (even a Berserk anime)

Although it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be both really given how often Japanese wordplay is based on the multiple meaning a kanji can have or different words with the same sound.

Bakemonogatari in particular loves it.
Example from the first season's first arc: Hitagi Crab.

Heavy Crab (omoi kani)

The sound 'omoi' can means heavy (literal weight), heavy (feeling), memories, etc.

So in this case the crab is actually a God (kami), responding to the girl's desire to suppress her trauma and 'remove' that feeling/memory (omoi) of trauma from her, but it also ends up causing her to also lose her weight (omoi)

In the end it's only with her own asking for said memories back that it return both the memories and her own weight to her.

And a lot of hentai with English-sounding title like to replaces the 'ing' with the kanji for lewd (in)

Or heck, Asagi's own title.

nnescio

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

You're probably right, googling just the kenfuuden part does bring up several entries (even a Berserk anime)
The 'fuu' is pronounced as 'puu' (i.e. kenpuuden) due to rendaku sound changes.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be both really given how often Japanese wordplay is based on the multiple meaning a kanji can have or different words with the same sound.

Bakemonogatari in particular loves it.
Example from the first season's first arc: Hitagi Crab.

Heavy Crab (omoi kani)

The sound 'omoi' can means heavy (literal weight), heavy (feeling), memories, etc.

So in this case the crab is actually a God (kami), responding to the girl's desire to suppress her trauma and 'remove' that feeling/memory (omoi) of trauma from her, but it also ends up causing her to also lose her weight (omoi)

In the end it's only with her own asking for said memories back that it return both the memories and her own weight to her.

And a lot of hentai with English-sounding title like to replaces the 'ing' with the kanji for lewd (in)

Or heck, Asagi's own title.
鎮魔 (demon suppression/exorcism in the Buddhist sense) is definitely part of the same word 'compound'. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

There is some ambiguity about 剣風伝 though. Normally 剣風 means "sword style", but it is possible to interpret the kanji individually when it comes before 伝 (or 帖) as "sword wind chronicles (book for 帖)"/"chronicles (book) of sword and wind", which is the correct translation to pick in the case of the 1997 Berserk anime (because, well, he has a wind sword).

But yeah, complicated kanji compound titles like these (also found in martial arts techniques and movies/anime/films when martial arts are involved, in both Japanese and Chinese) is usually better transliterated instead of translated -- otherwise you'll get an overly long title or a word salad title.

So, "C̶h̶i̶n̶m̶a̶ Shizuma Kenpuuden Aoi" then

Edit: Chinma -> Shizuma

Last edited:

lekori

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Having problems opening the game after dl 1.4 as I've been using 1.1.
The game closed each time I open it. Is it because I install too many rpgmaker?

krisslanza

Lurker
Reputation score

I happened to stumble upon the fact I have one of Ahriman's older games, the one with the blindfolded kunoichi that you control with only the mouse?

Well I've gotten up to round 3, but I can't figure out how you defeat the ogre boss at all... any ideas? Do we even have a walkthrough for it? I get the general basics, but I pretty much beat round 1 and 2 by just not touching the mouse at all...

But seems the boss on 3 actually requires some sort of strategy.

ments

Reputation score

I happened to stumble upon the fact I have one of Ahriman's older games, the one with the blindfolded kunoichi that you control with only the mouse?

Well I've gotten up to round 3, but I can't figure out how you defeat the ogre boss at all... any ideas? Do we even have a walkthrough for it? I get the general basics, but I pretty much beat round 1 and 2 by just not touching the mouse at all...

But seems the boss on 3 actually requires some sort of strategy.
wrong thread mate
http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=23550

Hawk999

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

sigh
Seems like most really good hentai games mess up incredibly badly at some point at least once.
I got to the point where studio 4 (or 5?) is, the one on the beach. I got a girl captured the first time, so Ura wasnt in my team anymore at it seemed. The next room she was hanging on a cross and i got 2 girls against a big pile of enemies and i got wiped the first time. After that only asagi was left and everytime i get wiped Asagi is the only one left.
So i go back and try to beat the big pile of enemies guarding my other teammates, but its almost impossible. I am at my...maybe 20th try? It gets really tedious and is really boring to reload and try over and over and lose isntantly upon getting resistance to 0 once. Am i missing anything or is the game just over as soon as you lose one girl?

edit: yes i do have the best items like lewd-attack-dodge rate up and got the thunder ability to attack twice a turn. however it takes only one turn of the enmies or two if lucky til my resistance is down = instant lost.

edit2: There is a chastitybelt item which 2.5x the resistance. And still after 12 more tries nothing but losses. I am at a point at which i reload instantly if asagi doesnt dodge at least 80% of the lewd attacks on the first turn
this game went from awesome and fun to disappointing and dumb. how can you mess up this badly in designing a game?

Last edited:

mark21800

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

sigh
Seems like most really good hentai games mess up incredibly badly at some point at least once.
I got to the point where studio 4 (or 5?) is, the one on the beach. I got a girl captured the first time, so Ura wasnt in my team anymore at it seemed. The next room she was hanging on a cross and i got 2 girls against a big pile of enemies and i got wiped the first time. After that only asagi was left and everytime i get wiped Asagi is the only one left.
So i go back and try to beat the big pile of enemies guarding my other teammates, but its almost impossible. I am at my...maybe 20th try? It gets really tedious and is really boring to reload and try over and over and lose isntantly upon getting resistance to 0 once. Am i missing anything or is the game just over as soon as you lose one girl?

edit: yes i do have the best items like lewd-attack-dodge rate up and got the thunder ability to attack twice a turn. however it takes only one turn of the enmies or two if lucky til my resistance is down = instant lost.

edit2: There is a chastitybelt item which 2.5x the resistance. And still after 12 more tries nothing but losses. I am at a point at which i reload instantly if asagi doesnt dodge at least 80% of the lewd attacks on the first turn
this game went from awesome and fun to disappointing and dumb. how can you mess up this badly in designing a game?
How can there be be a big pile of enemies between you and your team mates at that point when most mobs don't RE-spawn? Because unless you've skipped a good chunk of the fights you should have a pretty safe route to at least two of them.

Hawk999

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

How can there be be a big pile of enemies between you and your team mates at that point when most mobs don't RE-spawn? Because unless you've skipped a good chunk of the fights you should have a pretty safe route to at least two of them.
IDk, my teammates were captured and not in my team anymore.
I had two choices
1th: go into an elevator and get attacked by 4 ninjas with first strike. That appeared to be impossible on purpose when only having one character.
2nd: go to the room with the many crosses and a red haired girl on, my teammate Ura i guessed. That room was an event room and always triggered a fight with one cloaked miniboss + a guardian + thief + 4 rogues
The thief is highly likely to attach cuffs or similiar on first turn already which results the miniboss to restrain you mabye right after = KO on first turn.
If not the many harassments of all the enemies give you 2 turns at max to win, which is politely impossible.

I couldnt find the teammates anywhere else either.

I did manage to win though. Im guessing it took me like 40+ tries, i stopped counting. I attached the chastitybelt to get about 3 turns. And then there was a passive items that revives you once after being captured. I barely won after like 6 more tries with all that. its really terrible game design on that part. >>IF<< you actually win, and go past the crosses, your teammates return automaticly as rogues carry them to the castle beyond crosses and an automatic scene makes your protagonist backstab them.

moonblack

Reputation score

I don't remmeber the details, but to the left of the elevator with the four ninjas is a way to go down (I remember it involved a rope and a ladder). Did you go that way?

Hawk999

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I don't remmeber the details, but to the left of the elevator with the four ninjas is a way to go down (I remember it involved a rope and a ladder). Did you go that way?
Yes! It leads back to the runis where small orc-enemy-groups respawn infinitely. That is the place where the girl was sitting on the hentia-horse most of the game

DudePerson

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Yes! It leads back to the runis where small orc-enemy-groups respawn infinitely. That is the place where the girl was sitting on the hentia-horse most of the game
Yeah, so lemme think here... I've been discovering this game recently myself... Yeah, you want to take that route with the rope down. If you're respawning there by the "meat toilets", then the old lecherous merchant should be there, which lets you restore your energy with a massage. Which means you can take out the orc dudes, and rescue Whip. After that, you can take the ladder up and make your way over to rescuing Ura in the switch prison/lobby area.

You know how to use the Bandit Hideout Map, right?

Edit: Just a sidenote: You're getting -pretty- close to the end of the fan-translated content. After the castle fight coming up in Studio 5, there will be some more translated content in the area after that... but it all becomes sketchy after the fight with the "Manager", with stuff being left mostly untranslated to an extent. It's a good game though, I'm pretty impressed. Not sure if anyone else has any similar recommended english/translated suggestions if I liked this.

Last edited:

iamnuff

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'll second that advice.

If both of your teammates were captured, then they're both available for rescue. Whip-girl should be in the orc-ruins, on a wooden horse, IIRC.

Save her first, then use her to save the redhead.

And yeah, if merchant (and thus free heals) are available, then abuse the hell out of that.

mark21800

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I'll second that advice.

If both of your teammates were captured, then they're both available for rescue. Whip-girl should be in the orc-ruins, on a wooden horse, IIRC.

Save her first, then use her to save the redhead.

And yeah, if merchant (and thus free heals) are available, then abuse the hell out of that.
Yep once you know what to do this game is a breeze. At least until you get to the final half of the demon realm that place is a literal maze.