What's new

Experimental Fate - Vandread

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score
This is an writing experiment. The purpose of this is to take a story and change the MC and figure out what happens. This current project will take place in the Vandread story, specifically the Animated version.

The main character's name is Hibiki. He's a short fellow with a training in mechanical engineering. In the canon story line, he's a rather brash boy, but his intentions are honest and eventually noble. However, is this really enough? Is it really the right guy for the story?

But who he is will not be the focus of the first choice. The first question is:

What is Hibiki?

1. Human. A normal human sent into space. Hearty and industrious, and occasionally witty and cunning. A species that evolved to do just about anything with enough focus. This Hibiki is the base one from the Anime.
  2. Saijen. Not exactly a Saijen like Goku or Vegeta; no planet smashing bicep flinches, no power level over 9000. But a Saijen is a person that loves fighting and conflict. Not so much for the violence in itself, but in the glory of overcoming a trial by arms or finding the epiphany despite defeat. This version of Hibiki will be very action oriented and will consider initiating friendly fights frequently, but may also refuse to flee from overwhelming odds.
  3. Mad Scientist. Not necessarily bent on world (galactic) domination, but a character searching for bits of knowledge for his "Greatest Creation Yet!" This Hibiki will love getting his hands on books or pumping egg heads for knowledge, and then running off to put the new theories to the test.
  4. Demon. This Hibiki will be armed with a charming smile, a sharp wit and a desire for interesting social interactions. Possibly subconsciously. The voice, sight and touch of another being will be the greatest source of fulfillment for this Hibiki (even if he refuses to acknowledge it).
  5. Devil. The most dangerous kind of person is the one that is detached from their empathy. A Devil is an intelligent creature capable of analyzing people and situation without emotions getting in the way, making them incredibly cunning. However, they are extremely shrewd and direct, seeing the most efficient manner to perform any action, regardless of the cost to those around them.
  6. Channeler. All around us, the spirits are there, trying to tell us things. But we can't here them. But as a Channeler, Hibiki can hear them, even though they're very cryptic in their messages. Eventually, the hidden meaning can be found, and it usually means someone needs help with something.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Experimental Fate - Vandread

3. Definitely 3.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Uh, I've never watched Vandread. :\

3. SCIENCE!

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Holy shit. Anime Hibiki replaced with mad scientist Hibiki? This could go so hilariously wrong...

Darkboy

Lurker
Reputation score

3. Science defeats all foes!

OP
the_taken

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

Vandread is an event driven story, which means that things revolve around Hibiki reacting and experiencing everything, instead of him proactively chasing down the climax. The choices made will determine not only the Hibiki's personality, but also what kinda of things he should pursue that will make him more successful with the ephemeral powers that make him a better Vanguard and Vandread Pilot. Story begins!

Oh, and be careful what you vote for. There's are bad endings. Mwuahahaha!

-------

It was a glorious for Tarak. The industry had finally complete construction, armament, and staffing the newest and most powerful battle ship ever created. The Ikazuchi. It was a day to celebrate both the toil and labor put into the warship, and the manly glory that it would bring in defending the holy Tarak from the vile monsters, the space pirate race of Women!

In the cities all over the Tarak, men gathered to celebrate the launch. Women were vile creatures that once enslaved men to a life of horrible nearly pointless labor (worse than anything the men had themselves do), and slaughtered for their innards as a staple commodity and food.

However, third class citizen Hibiki wasn't in a festive mood. Instead of out on the streets celebrating, he was in his tiny apartment. He had a very important job to do, he was busy filling a backpack with the tools he needed to infiltrate the Ikazuchi and steal a Vanguard!

Question 1: But Why!
  1. Canon: I really wish I hadn't said that... thought Hibiki to himself. He was reminiscing about what happened a few days ago, when one of his coworkers overheard that he was thinking stealing a Vanguard they were polishing all the plating for. He wasn't exactly serious, but then the jerk stood up in front of everyone at the lunch break and declared that Hibiki said he would steal the Vanguard from the Ikazuchi, then goaded him, accusing him of lying and saying stupid dreams. I wasn't lying about that, he shouted back, slightly enraged. And if you want to see one that badly, you're gonna get one. Now he had to do it, or look like a total flaky, lying wimp.
  2. Science: I really should have paid more attention... thought Hibiki to himself. He was reminiscing about what happened a few days ago. He had an epiphany, brought on by frustration at never seeing the fighting machines that he was helping build. So he decided to build one of his own, scrapping together spare parts and various bits of discarded junk pieces. He calculated it would take him a year to put his own Vanguard together, but he could do it. And why not make it better then the standard? Unfortunately, the crotch component he had swiped and modified was mistaken for a standard piece and sent down the assembly line and built into one of the Vanguards for the Ikazuchi. Now he had a proper crotch component, and his custom piece was going to be launched into space. He needed to get onto the Ikazuchi and get it back! Of course, that meant taking the whole Vanguard, but that would speed up his project's time frame quite a bit.
  3. Challenge: If I pull this off, thought Hibiki to himself, it'll be so awesome. He was tired of the other guys in the plating crew giving him a hard time; calling him short, calling him funny looking, saying he was a no talent third class citizen like the rest of them. He needed to garner some respect, and what better way than to impress them with an epic heist! Steal a Vanguard from the most advanced military space craft right before its maiden voyage into the stars! Of course, he wasn't just doing it for them. It excited him to pull this kinda thing off!
  4. Defection: I can't stand being a drone, thought Hibiki to himself. He wanted to join the military and be a soldier. He spent several years working for the military's industrial contractors while he became of age. He figured using his talent to help build the fighting machines would give him some clout with the recruiting officer. What better person to use a Vanguard that someone who built one and knew how it worked? Unfortunately, despite his every attempt gain skills and abilities that would get him accepted into at least being an engineer for the military, he never met the height requirement. Sitting back and stewing in his frustration, he came to a single conclusion. He would never be accepted into Tarak's military, but there were space pirates that weren't Women crew that he could join. All he needed was to get into space and get to them. He decided to stow away on the Ikazuchi and wait until they confronted some pirates, and if those pirates weren't women and somehow managed to fend off the Ikzuchi, he would steal a Vanguard and petition to join their nefarious crew.

Last edited:

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

2. Of course.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

D. Induce Revolution! Uh, that is, scientific revolution.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

2. (I have no clue what the canon series is about...)

OP
the_taken

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

"How dumb can I be?" he mumbled to himself. "How could I have been so careless?" He sighed, before growling and summoning his resolve. "Damn it all. No matter how many times I screw up, I'm still a guy. And Hibiki the Man never gives up." Then he gathered his gear and began his mission.

Almost an hour later, Hibiki was running along the catwalks just outside the Ikazuchi, ignoring the General's public speech that had been going on ever since he left in favour of his own inner thoughts.

"Come on. You know we're only third class citizens," said one memory of a coworker. "All we have to do is keep quiet and make parts like these and we'll always have food in our bellies," said another. "Don't be so hot headed. You can never change who you are no matter how hard you try." "Forget about it. You gotta know where you stand." "Only dimwits that let their emotion run away have asinine dreams like that."

He found a ladder going up to a hatch in the spaceship's hull.

1. Man of Ambition: Maybe all of you can be content with your lives, countered Hibiki, blocking the negative thoughts, but there's something out there, just out of reach. Something better than the life I have, and all I have to do is get up and grab it.
  2. Man of Emotion: Maybe I am hot headed, countered Hibiki, blocking the negative thoughts. It's just that the blood in my veins is screaming. Telling me that there's something else out there in life.
  3. Man of Action: Maybe I can't change who I am, countered Hibiki, blocking the negative thoughts. But living in the shadows, quietly sitting by isn't who I am. I want more.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

He likes getting in on the Action.

Darkboy

Lurker
Reputation score

1 was tempting but I'll go with 3

Tiffanian

Smut Slut
Reputation score

3 sounds like a fun time.

Reputation score

A mad scientist of ACTION!? Sounds fun.

My vote is C, just to be clear.

OP
the_taken

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

Finally onto the ship, Hibiki double checked his mental map. He was in the barracks, empty since everyone was busy either being part of the ceremony, or observing it. He knew he was still a long way from the Vanguards, and there were a number of obstacles to contend with. But as he ran through the metal hallways, the General's epic speech occasionally disappeared into the background. It was a well written speech, it was just incredibly long.

Then he came upon his first obstacle. A security door, requiring an electrical key to open.

1. Tool: I have just the thing. Hibiki knew he'd encounter a door like this at least once, which is why he got a master key; an illegal hacking device that could open the door. Unfortunately, it was made from substandard parts, and only good once. (That's how he could afford it.)
  2. Skill: I have just the thing. Hibiki knew he could by pass the door manually. He had the tools and the knowledge. Unfortunately, it would take time to do it; someone could see him hacking the door and then it'd be all over.
  3. Ninja: There's a vent right there, Hibiki observed. It was high up the wall and kinda small, but he could open it and crawl through, if slowly. Unfortunately, there was no telling if the vent even had an opening into the room beyond the door, or where it would lead if it didn't.
  4. Sneak: Somebody is bound to come through here, Hibiki pondered. He could hide behind the boxes nearby until someone passed by, then nab the key from them.
  5. Sabotage: I passed an armory on my way here, Hibiki reflected. He could quickly double back and grab an explosive to blow the door open. Unfortunately, that would create noise, if not evidence that there was someone nefarious on board.
  6. Detour: There's another route I can take, Hibiki realized. He would lose time taking it, but at least he would save on resources.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Dammit man! SCIENCE the thing open. If someone sees you and takes offense, you'll SCIENCE them too!

R

Ryka

It would be risky, but try 2.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

2. Apply some motherfuckin' Science.