What's new

Fear of the Dark, Out of Character and Game Chat

Janna

Lurker
Reputation score
We can use this thread, instead of the interest check, for asking questions or just chatting about the game out of character.

OP
Janna

Janna

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Fear of the Dark, Out of Character and Game Chat

About my descriptions: If you didn’t notice from the initial thread descriptions, I don’t spend a lot of time describing each and every little detail of the rooms. If you’re in a library, for example, it’s just assumed that there are books, bookshelves, desks, tables, chairs, pencils and paper close at hand. So, if a fight were to break out and you decide you wanted to flip over a table and dive behind it for cover, you wouldn’t need to ask about that, just put it in your action.

For items that can’t just be assumed to be there, like say a Fire Extinguisher which might not be in each and every room, you can always look around for one. In combat this won’t take an action and I will tell you (after making a check, probably based on perception or luck or something similar) if you can find one. Grabbing it and using it takes an action. Some items are obviously going to be harder to find than others.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Question to plmnko: is Carol basically standing in the door to my room and asking if she can come in? I'm not quite sure what you mean in your post.

plmnko

Tentacle Smut Lord
Reputation score

yes. sorry i was playing a flash game.:p

let me edit the post.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

One more thing: I just noticed that you posted as Celia but your character sheet says Carol. Which name are you going with?

plmnko

Tentacle Smut Lord
Reputation score

...arnold

nah XP

Carol, maybe.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Another question (But not for plmnko this time):

As I start to play my character the thought occurred to me: would we be able to take a flaw later on and gain the corresponding character point if we believe the flaw fits well with the character?

OP
Janna

Janna

Lurker
Reputation score

As I start to play my character the thought occurred to me: would we be able to take a flaw later on and gain the corresponding character point if we believe the flaw fits well with the character?
It would really depend on the situation. I'm really hesitant to change the characters too much once the game has started until we finish the episode.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Well, I was more or less meaning could we change it between episodes, but I guess that was answered anyway.

Tomoe

Lurker
Reputation score

And I assume with all this talk of multiple episodes, they will be short enough that we can upgrade our characters every once in a while? Oh and also, even though this is a question that would be best asked later, could we make new characters in the next episode once our current ones die? I don't think many of us would mind if you gave that new one a lesser upgrade.

OP
Janna

Janna

Lurker
Reputation score

And I assume with all this talk of multiple episodes, they will be short enough that we can upgrade our characters every once in a while? Oh and also, even though this is a question that would be best asked later, could we make new characters in the next episode once our current ones die? I don't think many of us would mind if you gave that new one a lesser upgrade.
Yes, they're planned as short right now althought they do tie together into a bigger story. And yes, it will be easy enough to replace characters who die or who need to leave for whatever reason, if that is something that you want to to.

(And yes, you'll get experience to upgrade them between episodes)

plmnko

Tentacle Smut Lord
Reputation score

Hi, jeena.:)

which is the base damage of the wooden baseball bat?

OP
Janna

Janna

Lurker
Reputation score

which is the base damage of the wooden baseball bat?
It's going to do 5 base damage, just like a level 1 weapon.

I'm also going to ask you to slow down your action. You won't arrive at Kuttner hall until after Alexis does (who won't arrive until after Sabrina gets her next action in). Just edit your post there out, for right now.

OP
Janna

Janna

Lurker
Reputation score

Just so that doesn't seem totally random of a thing to say.

The reason I want to approve any movement like that is that later on in the game, there is a chance you might encounter something or someone on the way to your destination.

You won't neccesarily know when that would happen, so just let me know when you want to change areas and I will tell you when you get there.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Erm, more posts in the library please?

OP
Janna

Janna

Lurker
Reputation score

This is kind of the problem I was worried about with the bigger group of players. I was sort of waiting for Innocent Mischeif to respond before moving on with the what happens next to you three.

I don't want to blindfold Lilliana and move her to the next thing until we get another response. :eek:

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'll wait then for you to let me know if I'm making it to the Archaeology Room.

Just lmk.

OP
Janna

Janna

Lurker
Reputation score

Actions that take time:

Certain things, like Hannelore picking the lock on Dr. Phillip's office might take more than one action to complete. This is mostly important in combat, but can also affect out of combat timing. Usually, there are only a couple of results that will actually cause the action to fail (really low rolls) and the character will continue to try again until they succeed or until the action becomes impossible.

In Hannelore's case it took two tries to actually pop the lock.

In combat, if you start to pick a lock or create a magic circle or something that can take more than one action, I will keep rolling until you complete the action or until you decide to abandon it. That means you could be attacked while you're busy with your action, so be careful.

OP
Janna

Janna

Lurker
Reputation score

Swarms and Combat

Sometimes your character can be attacked by a large group of small creatures, like Alexis was here. When this happens, there are a couple of special rules. Because the creatures are themselves tiny, they can't pin you; you can still act normally while you are being swarmed. If you attempt a grapple check to escape, you will escape from multiple creatures depending on their size and the amount you succeed the grappling check.

Swarms can be attacked as a single creature if you have an area attack of some kind; otherwise they will need to be dealt with normally (luckily, they will also generally have very little Health due to their small size).