What's new

Free registry cleaner and/or spyware removal?

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score
My computer just seems super sluggish lately. Anyone know of a good free spyware removal program? Maybe a registry cleaner as well?

Of course it could just be that my computer needs dusting really badly...

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Re: Free registry cleaner and/or spyware removal?

CCleaner for cleaning up the registry and removing all the unnecessary crap from temp files, Spybot for removing spyware, and MBAM for general malware scanning and removal(along with some other antivirus for monitoring unless you want to get the paid version).

Aurani

Unknown Squid's Husband
Reputation score

I personally use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Junk Removal Tool and restart if necessary.
Then I check again with Adwcleaner.
Finally I check again with Roguekiller.
Registry cleaners are something to be wary of, sometimes they can brick your PC just as well as fix it.
And always use common sense before removing potential threats, google each one of them if you're unsure about something being bad, even the "best" cleaners can fuck up and ask you to remove something that is critical to your PCs function.

If all else fails, do a clean OS reinstall, that way you're 100% sure to not have anything left on it after formatting, unless you only have one drive for both your system files and personal files, in which case I'd suggest getting a new drive to put all your shit on.

Last edited:

chrisroxxx

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Sometimes your browser not your system gets infected and thus slows stuff down, I recommend using , I am using that nifty little program for more than a year now.:)

Ohhh, adwcleaner got mentioned by aurani already, well I did provide a link, have fun. ;)

Last edited:

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score

I use , it's light so it doesn't slow my computer and using the scan option detects viruses, malware and stuff on my convenience. And it'll also removes it.

The only thing I do hate is that an ad comes once every week to get the full version. X it out and it'll leave. Better that those other heavy antivirus and scanners, for me anyways.

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

My computer just seems super sluggish lately. Anyone know of a good free spyware removal program? Maybe a registry cleaner as well?

Of course it could just be that my computer needs dusting really badly...
Would just suggest you go to the start menu (assuming you're on windows), put in "msconfig", run that, then go to the "services" tab, uncheck any programs that you realize are viruses/spyware/not needed (google the name if you're unsure).

Then do the same for the "startup" tab, and apply on both, then restart your computer. Should run a lottt better; over time, a lot of programs that you install also install background programs or startup on startup when they don't need to, weighing down your computer.

OP
Paladox

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Thought I'd finally stop being lazy and try one of these. (Thank you for all the replies by the way!)

Panda Security sounded like the safest thing, since I don't want to mess with the registry right now. It found some threats and removed them (cookies?...).

It's a really annoying program though. It still runs in the background even when you tell it to NOT run. Checking the processes list, the Panda program is using up like 40+ CPU. Yikes! Can't right click and exit like you can with most other intrusive process icons in the task bar.

Having to uninstall it just to exit the program. I'll try a different one later if my computer is still slow. If not, then I'll just keep the panda software and reinstall/uninstall as needed. xP
My browser is actually running pretty good now. It's a shame I had to uninstall Panda just to get it to exit...

Phildalt

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I use ccleaner and advanced system care by iobit.