What's new

Future of adult games on steam?

Reputation score
Now that indie games are becoming easier to make and more popular, it's not too surprising to see more sex focused ones popping up in places like this. But I've always wondered if there'd be a better way to market them other than the seemingly iffy combo of paypal and dlsite. With a better way to market them, we'd probably see a increase in the amount and quality of games due to the better pay off.

The AO rating has always been a deathblow for a title as it pretty much gets your game banned from every major game distribution marketplace unless you cut the content out that got you that rating, though what qualifies as that seems to be blurry more and more. Most indie games don't even bother with the esrb when releasing on steam, but with their banning of seducemegame.com/default.html with the launch of Steam Greenlight their stance on sex related content seemed pretty clear.

So I figured that'd always be a dead end for the genre, but after playing South Park: Stick of Truth I'm starting to wonder. The game comes with the M rating you'd expect given the source material, but while playing it I was kind of shocked by what they managed to get out of it.

Specifically there's one unavoidable mini-game about a third of the way into the game where your nine year old character is kidnapped by aliens and strapped to a table, where they begin anally raping you with a large machine mounted dildo and you have to button mash to fill up a bar to escape the situation (which is exactly how a lot of our games handle the same thing). When you do manage to get out of it, the machine breaks and is replaced by a larger one with a ridiculously huge black dildo on it and you have to do it again.

A nine year old being dildo raped is something that would be banned even in our hentai game forum here, but you can go buy this game off of steam right now. But this game also features a extended sex scene with two adults graphically fucking in the background for an entire section of the map in another instance.

Arguably these are isolated scenes and not a gameplay constant, but still it was shocking to see them in a game that was released on PC, Xbox360, and PS3. Is the point just that it's not the main theme of the game? Or is it that the tolerance of sexual content is starting to expand quite a bit? Or does South Park just get a free pass because everyone expects them to be ridiculous and it's going to be a huge money maker regardless?

I'm interested to see what other people think about this. Personally it made me feel kind of optimistic that we might start to see adult games as more of a mainstream part of the gaming industry like they have in Japan.