What's new

Gender Reality vs Fantasy

R

Ryka

I am wondering. I have seen some people who... try to respect me, but do not like the fact that I reveal my personal life, and identity on a forum made for sex, in a place, where people will most often um.... relieve themselves on the wrong pictures.

I can say "Don't do it" but really. Can we stop them?

As a result, there are those that are totally turned off by me, as they are such fraidy cats... or whatever, and they do not treat my established "forum identity" like herself. As a result of THIS, they assume that the person behind this identity is one gender and never the other. It is maddening.

Those people do respect me, and have had regular conversations with me, but DARE not refer to Lila as a she, as their heads are stuck in the reality that we all, well most of us, COME HERE TO ESCAPE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

All ranting aside, what do you think?

Should people be treated like the avatars they choose to represent? Or should they "get a grip on reality" here and stop being flirtatious sometimes, because it's gross and sick or whatnot?

edit: title changed cos needless words - love nunu

Last edited by a moderator:

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score
Re: Gender Reality vs Fantasy

I almost take offense to being told that people who dislike a certain personality aspect are fraidy cats. People and there reasons are myriad, however that being said i shall propose a quote from the comedian ron white.

"I mentioned that there were 40,000 men stationed there and this really well dressed lady hollers out 'and every one of them is a bad fuck'. Now it seems to me that after about 39 thousand times you'd start to go 'maybe it's me?'"

When interacting with people it doesn't matter who you pretend to be, as long as that person is not annoying. Personally I'm quite partial to you lila, but you do have a limited range of interests.

Rain

Lurker
Reputation score

The established personal identity in a place that is made to escape reality is far more important then what the reality is.
Everyone should be judged and weighed purely on the persona they convey, instead of the person they happen to be.
Gender, race, and religion are all very insignificant compared to the fact that we are all pretending..

That being said, you still have the burden of being someone that people want to talk to both in and out of character.

But, really, in this great field of data and electronic signals.. If you want to be treated as a man, woman, trans, neuter, cat, dog, fish, fireball, pokemon, pony, virus, robot, or anything else; then that is well within your rights, and people should pay at least some respect to your life choices.. Enough to meet the standards of human decency.

On a few forums, I have myself written down as different genders, and even those who know who and what I really am treat me like what I say I am.. It's just common respect.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Considering how weird humanity, the mind, psychology, etc can work, and the nature of the internet, I'd say anyone can be anything at any time, depending on if they want it

It's generally a good idea to refer to people the way they want to be referred(As long as it makes sense and they don't ask that you refer to them as "The greatest" or some other vain stuff or calling for attention/being a special snowflake)
Alongside that, it's the internet. Just by being here, on a forum dedicated to watching often non-human, biologically impossible and improbable creatures have sex with women who for some reason seem to only put up token resistance most of the time like it's the most normal thing in the world. I think we can safely say we should leave reality at the door and substitute it with our own for the duration of our stay.

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I can say "Don't do it" but really. Can we stop them?

Should people be treated like the avatars they choose to represent? Or should they "get a grip on reality" here and stop being flirtatious sometimes, because it's gross and sick or whatnot?
You're well within your rights to act out a role beyond the bounds of your perceived reality (which is what reality is--a perception). The only damning abuses of that privilege are well-documented elsewhere in this forum, and transgressions are dealt with by the management.

On the other hand, people are allowed to treat you however they see fit. Abusers of that right are similarly reported to and dealt with by the management.

Here's the problem with fantasy: In this crazy world we live in, what happens when you see a magician perform a neat trick? The invariably asked question: "How did he/she do it?" Even if it's a magnificent spectacle, people start looking for the mirrors once the awe dies down.

This forum is a place of fantasy and cynicism. If one person finds the truth behind a fantasy, everyone will find out soon (especially if that fantasy is seen often, as in your case).

That's why the best magicians are very good at keeping their secrets. Nunu is a wonderful example--I still don't know Nunu's gender. Nunu seems to be good at keeping secrets.

tl;dr No, both.

EDIT: A wonderful example of a fantasy that's not meant to fool anyone:

Last edited:

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Another excellent example is Dame Edna Everage

noman

Lurker
Reputation score

I have to admit I had no idea what you were talking about initially. The idea of one's forum avatar being an alternate identity never occurred to me until you pointed it out. To me the avatar was just a picture, something interesting to separate one user from another.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

There has actualy been a lot of academic research into the concepts of a disposable identity like the internet gives you. Although as a general rule many of the identities are getting less disposable and less secret a la youtube.

Then again that research was done by sociologists, whom i tend to view as people that couldn't handle doing science properly (a view based on a sample of sociology papers i've read).

STALKERXXZ

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I have to admit I had no idea what you were talking about initially. The idea of one's forum avatar being an alternate identity never occurred to me until you pointed it out. To me the avatar was just a picture, something interesting to separate one user from another.
I agree with you, the avatar is just a pretty picture.
Which also can be changed depending on the mood.
And I think this whole philosophical slime about avatars meaningless.

I do not want to offend anyone, but this is my opinion.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Holy necro batman

Two years, seven months and eleven days!

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

That offends me more than anything he said, really, just the fact he said it

STALKERXXZ

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Im a necromancer, and i will resurrect all dead topics muhahaha !

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score

I put a female avatar cause I like looking at it, I play as a female character in games cause I like look at their fat asses. (Real men play as woman in video games..... just kidding). I defiantly play as a female character if they have a lesbian option like dragon age and mass effect. I rarely play as male characters in video games to be honest.
Not gonna spend 300 hours looking at a guy's butt. >.>

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

I put a female avatar cause I like looking at it, I play as a female character in games cause I like look at their fat asses. (Real men play as woman in video games..... just kidding). I defiantly play as a female character if they have a lesbian option like dragon age and mass effect. I rarely play as male characters in video games to be honest.
Not gonna spend 300 hours looking at a guy's butt. >.>
Pretty much has always been my reason. While I do object to slootifying armor if it's the base gear for females, I also tend to not like staring at a bloody brick, which sadly is what a lot of male characters tend to become eventually, a mishapen block of metal with massive pecs, more spikes and oversized pauldrons than a Chaos Space Marine, and usually without being able to see a single scrap of skin on the character. Not that I don't mind rather questionable armor on a side option- thus the joy of modding games like Skyrim, where you can have the realistic alongside the questionable- but sadly a lot of multiplayer games don't get that option.

Well, minus major exceptions like Scarlet Blade, where the entire point is to make the least modest clothing for everyone that's still not technically naked :p

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Well. A woman can wear a chainmail bikini

For a man that would become a chainmail kilt or even loincloth
Mail kilts are a legit thing medieval warriors wore, though they were in addition to other armour usually

Miraggio

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The established personal identity in a place that is made to escape reality is far more important then what the reality is.
Everyone should be judged and weighed purely on the persona they convey, instead of the person they happen to be.
Gender, race, and religion are all very insignificant compared to the fact that we are all pretending..

That being said, you still have the burden of being someone that people want to talk to both in and out of character.

But, really, in this great field of data and electronic signals.. If you want to be treated as a man, woman, trans, neuter, cat, dog, fish, fireball, pokemon, pony, virus, robot, or anything else; then that is well within your rights, and people should pay at least some respect to your life choices.. Enough to meet the standards of human decency.

On a few forums, I have myself written down as different genders, and even those who know who and what I really am treat me like what I say I am.. It's just common respect.
I totally agree with you.
In reality if you want to change sex you have to undergo invasive surgery for people to call you with your new gender.
Given that you really want to be considered something different from what you are behind the keyboard, perople should acknowledge your status as the projection of your inner self.

Obviously, that is ok only until you don't want a phisical (voice, video, or even meeting) interaction with the person you are projecting your inner self to.
Elsewhere, people talk to the real you when they talk with whoever you want them to acknowledge you to be.

Cappy

Reputation score

Luckily the internet isn't Essos, amirite?

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score

Lets hope society wont regress to this. :p

Luckily the internet isn't Essos, amirite?

with the freedom of the internet it's hard to tell who's really what, so I follow my mmo rule of gender. EVERYONE IS A MAN!!! TILL I SEE PICS!!!!

Last edited: