What's new

RPG Patreon Ci-En Active RPG Maker [Boko877] Girl Beats Hero

2-tall

Demon Girl
Reputation score
What thoughts have you on Lusy's new attack? I myself am hoping that she also gets some dialogue to go along with it.

edit: it is not yet implemented in the game and was shown on Boko's twitter page.

Reputation score
Version 021 is out on patreon in case you didn't know. It includes Lusy, who now has Loretta's breast smother and is probably the strongest non boss character in the game, and Sejna, who has a pretty great new grab along with an attack she inherited from auphemia. It also adds a defeat animation for Alcia.
I assume version 019 will go free soon afterwards. It includes Alcia, which is great if you like oppai.

Lotodot

Lurker
Reputation score
Pretty great update that was worth the short delay. Just need Ophemia and Witch Sernelia. In my opinion the difficulty of those two needs to be a lot harder than most of the previous characters, as they are considered some of the strongest characters in the game.

OP
BluFalcon

BluFalcon

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
It's pretty great to see how far Boko has come. I've been pledged for almost 2 years and have been following him just on his website and from his DLSite games for even longer; IIRC - since 2011. He's improved in character design, animation, combat design, and a lot of other stuff. I know he has a few more characters planned for GBH, and UFG2 on the side as well, but I often wonder what other things he wants to make. Think he'd be open to a text interview? lol

Reputation score
Auphemia is powerful, but back in cp1 Selunelia seemed to be on a whole other level. Still, considering how powerful Lusy is now, I wouldn't be surprised if Auphemia became much more powerful than she was in cp1. I guess the queen will end up being the weakest boss now.

BluFalcon
I was wondering if anyone else felt that way. I used to just pirate his games many years ago, but I started wanting to show my support around the time he started working on gbh since he improved a lot and his content became a little more appealing to me (plus, I can't use dlsite so his patreon was helpful). He's been doing this for a long time so it's nice to see him doing well.
Well if you're serious and you know Japanese well then there's only one way to find out if he's willing.

Reputation score
only if Sisen gets a buff
She's probably the easiest boss since you only need to defend and heal. But I'm not grading them in terms of difficulty here, but potential strength. Considering how badly she overwhelmed our intrepid hero, sisen is far from the weakest boss and is probably the strongest character in the game. Assuming she doesn't run out of energy. But then she could just drain them, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Missing_ID

Lurker
Reputation score
only if Sisen gets a buff
Huh, I struggle against Shisen. The fact that her draining attack takes your level and MP is really troublesome.

Also, I recently played the game again, but how does Camil's 'off stance gauge' work? Sometimes the same attack fills a bit, sometimes it fills almost completely, and sometimes it immediately cause you to be off balance, even from empty.

Reputation score
Missing_ID
For Sisen just cast defend, guard and heal plus when necessary. You could try to power boost for extra defence, but it'll be dangerous if she keeps draining you.

As for Camil she got buffed alot in cp2 so she's actually strong now. Firstly, don't use power boost since it leads to the gauge filling faster. She has four moves, three of which aren't that dangerous. The weakest one fills the gauge by half, while the strongest fills the gauge by a small amount but is very damaging. Her most dangerous move is, without a doubt, Tit Pressure. If you're attacking, it slightly increases the gauge. If you're healing, it significantly raises the gauge. If you're blocking, it's an instant knockdown. On top of that it deals about 500 damage. Because of this, it's best to allow her to knock you down twice before guarding on the third time. I think she got slightly nerfed so she won't use Tit pressure when you need to guard on the third knockdown.

Edit:
Oh and don't bother buffing your defence. You'll just be giving her a chance to damage you and increase your gauge just for a miniscule increase in defence. Not worth.

Last edited:

Kaa

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Wew, anyone beat Alcia on lv55? She can just choose to spam Tit Heaven and forces you to use up all MP for Refreshing.

krisslanza

Lurker
Reputation score
Man the animations in this game are incredible. Didn't even know RPGMaker could handle this sort of thing. I sort of wish it wasn't a game so heavy on the actual violence and ballbusting, but I get it's the dev's thing so... but man, some incredible work.

Reputation score
There is no strategy that can 100% insure victory. Her AI can screw you over sometimes. Still, she's not spamming paizuri as much as she used to so she's managable. From my experience, it's best to spam heavy slash while healing and refreshing when necessary. Power boost can help, but it's very risky. And don't bother buffing defense. It does nothing. If she doesn't spam paizuri you'll be fine
If she keeps spamming it then just let it happen and try to survive long enough for lust to wear off.

Last edited:

Sunshaded

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I just played Girl Beats Hero seriously for the first time since CP2 came out, and I can't help but be disappointed that it's still not really playable for me yet.

I played the first build back when there were only 1 or 2 heroines, and I accepted it as a simple tech demo. But now, Boko has had a Patreon since last year, started over from scratch, and constructed an outline of a plot in which the hero travels to different locations. So why does it feel even MORE like a tech demo...?

- Yeah, there's an intro about the hero defeating the maou but still traveling around to protect people, which is nice and well written. But when the view transitions to the hero at the inn, there's no line of narrative in which the hero mentions that it's the start of the day, or how he learned about the different possible locations to visit, or which one he has in mind. Earlier versions of GBH described the hero wanting to see his imouto, which made sense and provided a plot/motivation.
- It's a massive inn but he's the only one there. Either put more people there with him--maybe a heroine to foreshadow later, like the one in the recent patron exclusive video who Ophemia sets up to battle the hero--or make the inn smaller and simpler.
- The battle with Shisen was unintuitive to me: when I meet Shisen, it's clear she's driven to consume energy, but there's no hint that she's low on energy (she implies she needs it to destroy humanity, so it seems like more of a long-term problem).
- Okay, this is what bothers me the most. Back in the castle in CP1 of GBH, the girl who asks if you want to be kicked, the girls in the same room as your imouto, and so on, all say different things at the start, until you clear certain conditions (like repeatedly talk to them, or lose to your imouto). The kicking girl was my favorite character because I loved how the player could repeatedly talk to her despite knowing he'd be reflexively kicked in the crotch for peeping, and she'd come to realize that and disdain him. But in CP2, they all immediately say their final lines the first time I talk to them. Is this because CP2 is supposed to be "chapter 2" so I became acquainted with all the heroines already in chapter 1?? But Boko lists CP1 as "Test Ver 0.7.3", he doesn't act like you need to play it before CP2. Maybe someone can clarify? I did see him refer to CP2 as a "continuation" before, but how exactly? Just because he cuts the initial introductions from CP1, it's a sequel? But CP1 is obviously just a dead alpha version, isn't it?
- Again, the way that introductions are never needed because every heroine acts like they've met you before, and immediately offers to let you taste their moves directly unless you select "yes" to battle (for no reason at all)... just makes CP2 really seem like a PURE tech demo. Does Boko ever plan to create a real narrative? I was impressed by the pre-battle scene with Shisen, and I was fairly fond of the castle area in CP1.
- Naturally, the way that you can raise or lower your level freely, and even easily cure yourself of the negative status from when you examine a book in the witch's mansion, makes victory and defeat in GBH seem even more arbitrary.

I never had high hopes with GBH, because I can tell that Boko cares more about the aesthetics of the heroines than storytelling or a balanced gameplay experience. But I've still retained some hope, and continued to follow his tweets this entire time. And now that I've played a recent version, I'm impressed by how refined the battle system feels, so it's even harder for me to just give up hope. Can I just ask, does he secretly reveal more ambitious plans on Enty, or Patreon? Because I've never see him talk ambitiously about GBH as a game. Even when he started from scratch with CP2, his explanation was just something like, "This will help me add more animations and improve the ones I'm not satisfied with."

I decided to try out GBH again because I recently played Tower of Trample, and noticed that many ToT fans also like GBH. I suppose the bottom line is that I personally don't care about tech demos, I want to feel like I'm playing an RPG with a narrative so I can self-insert properly. I seriously wonder if Boko plans to eventually complete GBH and sell it on DLsite like this... I'm sure his patrons would buy it, but would a typical RPG player really be happy with this?

Sorry if this post is kind of repetitive. I think I mostly just wanted to vent. If anyone has any inside info on Boko's intentions for GBH, I'd really like to know, because he's always been very tight-lipped about his ambitions on Twitter.

Kaa

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
why does it feel even MORE like a tech demo...?
Probably because boko is working on two projects at once, and basically all he does for GBH is make animations/combat encounters, never really putting much work into the world or mechanics. Maybe after he's done with the new ultimate fighting girl, he'll focus on GBH more.
I agree with you about pretty much everything, he definitely needs to add some actual gameplay progression. I think proper leveling mechanics are the first contender, so level drain would feel that much better.

Reputation score
Well, Sunshaded, that's a big comment. And big comments get big replies. I don't know how much you know about the game so I'll just mention all I know. But the short answer to most of your questions is simple. He doesn't really have plans to put GBH up for sale. I don't think he's quite sure where it's going. And there isn't much RPGing going on in the game yet. The girls just sit around waiting for you to activate their events if they have ones, or you can just fight or plead. CP1 is canon, kind of sort of, so you should play it. If you care about storytelling, then I feel you should contact him so he knows people care.
And like Kaa said, he had plans to work on UFG2 since last year and he announced that he started the production phase around March. I think he even mentioned that he was working on it before he announced it, though my memory may be failing me. But I think it's normal for devs to work on a game before announcing it, so this is probably true regardless of whether or not he mentioned it.

I played the first build back when there were only 1 or 2 heroines, and I accepted it as a simple tech demo. But now, Boko has had a Patreon since last year, started over from scratch, and constructed an outline of a plot in which the hero travels to different locations. So why does it feel even MORE like a tech demo...?
My memory is off, so I don't remember what GBH had since he started Patreon. But CP2 only brought 3 new characters into the game (Sefina, The queen, and Sisen). The rest of the characters were just updated so they look better. A few months ago, after he was done with Astride (or was it Millis?) he said he didn't know if he was going to update the characters (because he wanted to focus on UFG2 instead I'm guessing), but people wanted him to keep updating the characters so he can update the maids, Auphemia and Selunelia. So...ever since the update that added the queen, the characters didn't do much. The plot didn't really progress or go anywhere ever since people started bullying Alf in the castle. The fact he was working on UFG2 may have contributed to this.

- Yeah, there's an intro about the hero defeating the maou but still traveling around to protect people, which is nice and well written. But when the view transitions to the hero at the inn, there's no line of narrative in which the hero mentions that it's the start of the day, or how he learned about the different possible locations to visit, or which one he has in mind. Earlier versions of GBH described the hero wanting to see his imouto, which made sense and provided a plot/motivation.
But...the game literally starts with the line "And so, his journey continues today"
Regardless, there isn't much of a plot in CP2, to be honest. He knows about Luciana, like you said, because of his imouto and he goes to Auphemia's manor because he was suspicious of it in CP1 but there is little reason for him to go there in CP2. It's mostly there so Sisen goes there after you beat her. The bandit camp is explained when he actually goes there. Sure he could've explained it before going there, but I think he doesn't want to bother people with Sisen unless they want to engage her.

- Okay, this is what bothers me the most. snip
Honestly, I don't know why he calls it a test version. You NEED to play CP1 in order to meet most of the characters and to be introduced to Auphemia and her maids properly. The events in CP1 are also canon. Sort of. It is a little confusing. In CP1 Auphemia had plans Alf wasn't OK with and she clearly stopped in CP2. Obviously, this means that Alf fought her maids, defeated all of them, and then defeated Auphemia making her give up on said plan. But...the maids act like they never lost. Especially Lusy with the way she says she's far more powerful than him, even though he canonically beat her and Auphemia who is also canonically more powerful than her. It's pretty confusing. I know he puts animations first, but I wish he would pay more attention to the characters and their development, especially when he's updating them. I was considering mentioning this to him, but I feared the language barrier would be a big problem. Plus there's the translation thing making it difficult for me to judge the writing and characters properly, so I can't really speak on this matter.
Btw there are events like that in CP2. The encounter with the Queen is a trigger that will change the way pretty much everyone interacts with Alf, with most of them becoming pretty mean. One knight even physically assaulted him basically just because she can. I think Sefina is the only one who becomes nicer to him after the event.
And regarding the Millis event, the attitude change isn't because he lost. It's because they watched him fight and he didn't seem particularly legendary.

let you taste their moves directly unless you select "yes" to battle (for no reason at all)
I think his reason for fighting most of them is for training. It's what he mentions with Sefina. And every character has their reason for aggreeing to...letting him taste their "moves". Leticia: So he doesn't have a boner when he sees the queen. Millis: Because you decided to make him creep on his sister and she didn't say no. Sefina: Because she noticed he feels bad about the way people treat him. Maids: Because Auphemia told them to be nice to her guest (Probaby plotting something). Queen: Because she wants to ruin his life.

- Naturally, the way that you can raise or lower your level freely, and even easily cure yourself of the negative status from when you examine a book in the witch's mansion, makes victory and defeat in GBH seem even more arbitrary.
A book that gives a status effect? I don't remember that... Are you referring to the potion that made him cum? I don't think that potion does anything, so it doesn't matter if you can heal.
And don't level up. The fights are intended to be fought at level 55. Leveling up is cheating. I think Lusy even accuses you of cheating if you beat her without using magic since it seems impossible at level 55, though I could be wrong since my Japanese is poor.

Can I just ask, does he secretly reveal more ambitious plans on Enty, or Patreon?
For GBH? Not really. Like I mentioned before, UFG2 is what he really cares about. He's working on GBH for now until he finds out what he wants to do with a problem in UFG2's system. From what I understand from a conversation he had with another Japanese person, the problem is from a memory leak that is inherent to the RPG maker mv engine.
You probably already know this, but he mentioned that he plans on progressing the plot with the new girls introduction, though he's having a minor surgery so the next update may be smaller than usual. I'd like to believe he'll pay more attention to the characters and their events and developments when the story progresses, but who knows. If you really wish he did, then you could try to contact him to explain how he could pay better attention to them. After all, the maids act really weird in CP2. And keep in mind, most of the people who talk to him typically just ask for "More paizuri", "More ballbusting", or "more ass smothering" so he may be assuming no one cares about this kind of stuff. It could be good to let him know people care.

If anyone has any inside info on Boko's intentions for GBH, I'd really like to know, because he's always been very tight-lipped about his ambitions on Twitter.
He's tight lipped? He seemed to be more than willing to talk about things when people ask most of the time. Personally when I ask a he tends to reply, so I don't know.

Pretty much told you everything I know, I think. He wants to make UFG2 and he has no idea when GBH will end but the story will progress soon.

Edit:
I don't see the issue with Sisen. The big bad released her in an act of desperation so it's not surprising if she's flawed. And when she drains the bandit she states that she needs more. Is that different in Japanese?
A lot of the characters don't give much of a hint on how to beat them and will probably beat you a few times before you manage to win (unless you cheat). That's why I don't see much of an issue with the game not spelling out that you just need to just survive long enough. You may lose once or twice but you'll probably figure out what to do eventually.

Last edited:
Reputation score
Oh boy indeed. They're purrty. But just so people know, these girls are going to be a test for multiple enemy battles. From what I understand, they won't have any animations at first. Hopefully we won't have to wait long for them to get animated. He also mentioned that the thief is coming before Auphemia and Selunelia.

OP
BluFalcon

BluFalcon

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Was always wondering why he never did any multiple opponent battles.
After all there are many wonderful options for co-op attacks.
I think it's the engine he's working with. It doesn't do too well with the loops and videos he likes to put in, so he has to cut things and/or make a lot of workarounds.

I always wonder what kind of game he could make if he used a different engine like Unity or GameMaker. Maybe after GBH and UFG2 get their run, he might explore that.