What's new

How about a little chess?

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
Alright. A thought just popped into my head. It'll take a bit of organization, but let's play chess. I mean all of us, too. Not one on one.

First, we get a number of people to join, then we'll scramble them into teams. White will go first. Each person on the team must make a move, and the same person can't make a move twice. Of course since this is a team effort, you can discuss with each other through PMs or chats or whatever you wish.

Or maybe you don't have to chat and just let the game go with the flow, hoping your team will understand your plan or such. I'd like the game to take that direction because there's more suspense to it.

Also, please have somewhat basic Paint skills, because we're editing pictures for the chess board. We'll be using this one as our board:

So what do you guys think? Do you think it'll work?

BurningGold

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: How about a little chess?

I think this will work and it could be fun. It could get a bit complex, but I still think it will work. Maybe later we could all try something else like checkers?

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Ehhh... why not. I'm a lousy chess player, but who cares?

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

That's the spirit! I'm not much of a player either, but that's not gonna stop me from making this work.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

editing isn't so necessary if you know the chess board notation, but sure i'd be in.

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

... No. We definitely aren't going to play like that. That's disgusting and you should feel bad for even suggesting it.

Dusty

Totaly not actualy a Moderator
Reputation score

I suck ass at chess but I'll join anyway.

Now.. how more spaces can pawn move???

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

It can move two or one space forward when it's in its starting position, and it can only move forward one space afterwards. It can only attack diagonally.

Am I going to have to put up the rules of chess now?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Just the basic ones, including castling and en passant for the nooooobs

Reputation score

Yeah, I was about to ask about en passant, actually. Sure, I'll play. I'm not so good at chess, though. My brother is boss at it, though.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Eh, you'll almost never have to use it, but bringing it up, let's say on an internet forum, makes you look cool and sophisticated.

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Holy crap... I just looked up en passant. That's actually a legal move!? I could've dominated a lot of games if I knew this existed, damn it!

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Are you sure you got the full explanation of it? I mean, it's not just any pawn next to any pawn. It's only temporarily available and spot specific and usually ends with your pawn being put in trouble itself.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

En passant is when someone tries to move their pawn 2 spaces to avoid being taken, but you can capture it if you have a pawn next to the space that the moving pawn moves into, correct?

I'm a little rusty on my chess, but I'm in, if we can make this work.

plmnko

Tentacle Smut Lord
Reputation score

nice, i will love to see this (im good in chess, but bad in paint)

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

While I would love to play, the problem with playing chess online is someone can just use a chess program to basically choose the best move. Assuming people agree not to do this, I'm in.

And lol people not knowing about en passant. I've been in a chess club since like the age of 7 @_@

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

>.> I didn't even consider using a program... What are you thinking about, sir?

Anyway, let me get this straight about en passant. Let's say you got your pawn at, say D4. Your opponent's pawn is at C2. If your opponent moves to C4, your pawn at D4 can move to C3 and take the pawn then?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Only immediately after that pawns move into C4. If you skip it that turn, even if he doesn't move his pawn, you can't take it next turn.

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

So far, I've got:

Burninggold
Dematt
ToxicShock
Dusty
RaimeiNaginata
Copper
Plmnko
Aika

If more people are going to join, do so now. Otherwise, I'll make the teams. Since we have an even number right now, I'll just play spectator instead. I like watching chess being played more than actually playing it anyway.

Also, the way the match will is that I'll make a lineup for the first four turns of each team. After that, you argue amongst yourselves who makes the next move.

So for instance, I'll have Team A and Team B.

Team A has players 1, 2, 3, and 4.
I'll arrange the order as 4, 1, 2, 3.
Afterwards, you guys can choose who will go up next. However, each player has to have gone once before someone goes again. So for instance, Team A has went through their lineup. Now they decide player 3 makes the next move. That means players 1, 2, and 4 have to go next, in any order they want, so long as player 3 doesn't go until they've all gone again.

I think this is a reasonable way to keep everybody in the game. Obviously, neither I nor the other team will know if one person is just tell the others what to do, so I'm holding you guys to an honor system that you're all discussing strategy and not just following orders. If you have any ideas on improving this system, go ahead and tell me. I just thought of this on a whim, so there's bound to be some loopholes somewhere.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Eh, works for me. Gonna make up the algebraic notation anyways, just to exercise my brain.