What's new

[Complete - Full] I have no regrets about translating SEQUEL colony to English (RJ253732)

sub-par

Reputation score
Somewhere, a butterfly flaps its wings; elsewhere, a translation is born. Stipendum peccati mors est.

Please take game discussion, gameplay help questions, and similar to the SEQUEL colony thread in the games section (mind the spoilers)
You can buy

What's next?

Latest patch version (1.1.0a):
old versions:

As of now, there are no known issues in 1.1.0a. You are free to report any, and they might even be eventually fixed.

This patch is for the Japanese game version 2.0.2, which is the latest one. Compatibility with earlier game versions and versions of the game in other languages is not guaranteed. Save games between versions of the translation patch are compatible.
Please use the guide found in the "How to Apply a Partial" thread to install the patch to your copy of the game.
Please make liberal use of spoiler tags if you have bug reports that are plot-adjacent or translation questions about similarly plot-sensitive stuff.

Last edited:

Kazukiri93

Reputation score
Thanks a lot I really enjoy these games so I really appreciate being able to understand them

Arenara

Lurker
Reputation score
It has come. I guess I know what I'm going to do for the rest of the day.

Overt_Ninja

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Thanks for the amazing work once again.
I have a question, though. Were the names of the main characters during battle intentionally left untranslated or is this an error on my part?

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
Thanks for the amazing work once again.
I have a question, though. Were the names of the main characters during battle intentionally left untranslated or is this an error on my part?
Oops. It looks like the names are a part of the UI sprites in this game, instead of the game engine dynamically drawing the character's names on the sprites like in the previous games. Weird. But that should be easy enough to fix.

I'll wait a few days before updating the patch, so that if any other issues pop up I can fix them all at once instead of playing patch whack-a-mole like with blight. If the issue really bothers you, I can post the fixed sprites tomorrow when I make them.

Kratoscar2008

Reputation score
Offtopic Discussion - Game discussion in Translation section.
So since it's a dream, does that mean that you won't see the cast of Colony in the future? Not gonna lie, that makes me less interested in the game. I hate farewell forever endings.

Kynshin

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
1600459242957.png 1600459878450.png 1600460361502.png 1600460588267.png 1600460749229.png
Missing question marks is a good start for issues xd.

When asked about mana, if you say that you know (second screenshot) shouldnt she say "There's no way you wouldn't know, is there?"
Shouldnt it be written Dark Vision on the description (with the space beetween)?
also noticed that during the skill learning tutorial the menu text reverts back to japanese

Last edited:

Overt_Ninja

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Oops. It looks like the names are a part of the UI sprites in this game, instead of the game engine dynamically drawing the character's names on the sprites like in the previous games. Weird. But that should be easy enough to fix.

I'll wait a few days before updating the patch, so that if any other issues pop up I can fix them all at once instead of playing patch whack-a-mole like with blight. If the issue really bothers you, I can post the fixed sprites tomorrow when I make them.
Nah, it doesn't bother me much. I'm fine waiting for a bigger patch that fixes more issues.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
View attachment 34766View attachment 34767View attachment 34768 View attachment 34769View attachment 34770
Missing question marks is a good start for issues xd.

When asked about mana, if you say that you know (second screenshot) shouldnt she say "There's no way you wouldn't know, is there?"
Shouldnt it be written Dark Vision on the description (with the space beetween)?
also noticed that during the skill learning tutorial the menu text reverts back to japanese
Thank you for notifying me. Some lines did end up in question form but with a dot at the end in a feeble attempt for the questions to be more...rhetorical? Like, they're statements in the form of questions. It doesn't work all that well in English but I tried anyways. 🤷‍♀️

I've always seen and used word as darkvision (it's not a 'real' real word; pretty sure D&D invented it). You might be thinking of "night vision" which is commonly spelled separately.

But the skill tutorial is a very human oversight by me. The translated files are in the patch, but I named a bunch of them wrong: they should be named skilllt3.png, skilllt4.png etc (three of the letter L) but I used only two. In my hubris I didn't reread the tutorials while playtesting, thinking that "I edited those files the same way I did in blight and awake so of course they work".

Kynshin

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Another thing i noticed.
Although im still at the start of the game, spending time with Auris doesnt actually "pass time".
I spent time with her like 10+ times and it never got to night.
Only by sleeping in bed i can actually change the time of the day.
Is it supposed to be like that?
I ask coz in Awake if you hanged out with anyone the time of the day would change automatically afterwards.

xii360

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Somewhere, a butterfly flaps its wings; elsewhere, a translation is born. Stipendum peccati mors est.

What's next?
  • First, I will take some time to consolidate my cultivation base make functional and more accessible notes. Right now, half the translation decisions I've made live inside my head, while the other half are scattered over five randomly formatted text files and an excel spreadsheet. I had to have them all open while translating the monster lore. It's only going to get more unsustainable, so I need to take care of it.
  • When that's done, I'll update awake and blight for what I will call the final time, but which the future will imminently prove false. The cycle never ends.
  • Then it's time to tackle ASYLUM. Don't expect it to happen as fast as colony did. I can't see it being done this year.

This patch is for the Japanese game version 2.0.2, which is the latest one. Compatibility with earlier game versions and versions of the game in other languages is not guaranteed. Save games between versions of the translation patch are compatible.
Please use the guide found in the "How to Apply a Partial" thread to install the patch to your copy of the game.
Please make liberal use of spoiler tags if you have bug reports or translation questions about plot-adjacent stuff.
did i ever mention, sub_par is my hero?

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
I forgot to mention, but everyone should have some suspicion towards the details the postgame throws at you about Vastas. There were some lines that sounded like foreshadowing but their possible interpretations were mutually exclusive in English. I resorted to educated guesses in the following parts:
  • The Errastone/Errorstone was not explicitly said to be a unique object, although it really feels like it is.
  • "The devil of Chuerma" who took the Errastone from Aeon is a wild guess. It could also be "the devils of Chuerma" or "Chuerma the Devil".
  • The lore in the item "Holy Knight's Mark" refers to a "stone that holds similar functions." I took this to mean the Errastone so I used the singular, but it could be a wholly unrelated stone and there could be any number of them.

Should we make a thread for Kludge now that we have more info?
🤷‍♀️ I'm not about to make one myself because I don't want to maintain it, but if you or anyone else wants to then the Games under construction board is right there.

Another thing i noticed.
Although im still at the start of the game, spending time with Auris doesnt actually "pass time".
I spent time with her like 10+ times and it never got to night.
Only by sleeping in bed i can actually change the time of the day.
Is it supposed to be like that?
I ask coz in Awake if you hanged out with anyone the time of the day would change automatically afterwards.
This is standard game behavior and not introduced by the patch.

Kamil118

Lurker
Reputation score
There is only one person I know that can release 3 20-30 hour RPG translations when working solo in half a year.

Arenara

Lurker
Reputation score
Here I have some more errors. The first is a bit strange. When you use Lestea's Unsheath - White skill, the battle text says she used the Lull one instead:
ErrorUsedWhitenot Lull.png
The second is more straightforward, a mistake in the quest text of event 18. On the second line, I believe there should be a "wants" in between "he" and "you".
ErrorHeSaysHeYou.png
That's all for now. Back to playing.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
Thank you for the bug reports. I would've liked to wait longer to get more typos in, but the untranslated UI elements really tickled me the wrong way.

Unfortunately my hilarious gag with the arm image had to go so that the patch having been updated is more explicit in the OP itself. Oh well.

The following things were fixed:
  • The face sprites during combat had untranslated character names
  • Some of the file names for the skill tutorial graphics had typos and as such didn't overwrite the Japanese versions
  • Shin's name was rendered in Japanese in the little name window
  • The battle message when Lestea uses skill Battoujutsu - White incorrectly claimed she uses Lull
  • Description of event 018 was missing a word in the second sentence of the details paragraph
  • The Training Chickener, a mainstay of the series, was mistakenly referred to and named "Training Chicken"
  • A small glossary change in the postgame story arc Anka-class Feim, Aeon-class Ent, and Aeon-Class Yubeil are now Anka-type Feim, Aeon-type Feim, and Aeon-type Yubeil. It's still not great, but the other idea I had was "Ankaian Feim" and "Aeonian Yubeil" which even worse suspect
  • Changed monster name "Searavager" to "Searubbish" (it seems I misread the name way back in blight and never looked at it again)
  • One of the monster lore entries refers to awake's monster Aenyuras. The name has been changed to "Aennulus" (I'll leave explaining this one to when I next update SEQUEL awake)
Also shoutouts to some anon, I guess, for spontaneously cleaning up the HUD sprites so I didn't have to spend minutes doing that myself.

Last edited: