What's new

Leonardo Chadwick Anderson, (D&D Triple-Super Gestalt)

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score
The words of Leon-Chad Anderson tell us his story,

I don't know how or why it happened. Magic is irrational like that. Maybe it was a good thing it did, though it wasn't apparent how it would be good for me until I took advantage of it. The fantasy worlds that you enter when you play Dungeons and Dragons are great for immersion into the game, but I would never want to live there for real. Except maybe as a Dragon (capital D and everything).

Maybe.

But what I did or didn't want then has nothing to do with what happened.

It was nearing dawn after the night of my 25th birthday party, held at a club with my brothers and their friends, and some of my business partners. I was stupid drunk and in a cab, and could barely see strait. I dozed off a couple of times, and my last memory before blacking out completely was the cab driver, whom I assumed was a Bolivian immigrant or something asked me if I wanted to be a wizard instead of paying my fare...

I said yes. Or puked. Or puked yes. I'm not sure, it gets fuzzy after that.

When I next woke up, I was in a vary magical land of fairies and unicorns. And dragons, zombies, brain eating squid faced aliens, floating eyeballs with eyestalks with laser eyebeams, and everything else in the Monster Manual. Well, not right where I woke up, but I quickly discovered that the world was inhabited.

Anyway, I woke up in a runoff ditch for a dirt farm outside a small city. Wheloon. The name didn't ring a bell at first, but after several days of wandering, begging, and trying to find a job in what I assumed was medieval Europe, I swallowed my pride and decided to go the city's local temple and hopefully get a in charity bed. (They hadn't invented cardboard boxes yet, and I didn't like the looks of the old tarp the other vagrant was offering to lend me, or the look he was giving me for that matter.)

I expected something like 'The Ignorant Church of Jesus Christ'. Instead, I walked into a Temple dedicated to Chauntea, right when this guy in earthy tones and green robes was placing his glowing fingers on this other guy's arm and healing a small cut right before my eyes.

Magic!

Actual Magic!

Oh. My. God! (Or their god, as it turns out.)

I stood there in the doorway while the priest and the plebe hat a short conversation about medieval construction safety. Then they turn to leave and spot me standing there with probably eyes the size of dinners plates. Naturally the priest asks me if he can help me, and I blurt out, "I want to do that."

I should have remembered then that Divine magic had a near monopoly on healing magic, but I was slightly stressed at the time. What I saw was magic, D&D style, and D&D magic can do anything you can convince your DM you're allowed to get away with using the rules (and there's a point where they break down and everything is possible.) I didn't know what campaign setting I was in, never being much of a fan of D&D so much as a talented player and Rule Lawyer. I hadn't played in years until that point, but it was then that I decided to become an adventurer, a player character.

I should have known what I was getting into, but I was too excited. There was real magic being done, and I wanted in on it. I vaguely recall thinking that I could somehow use it to get home then, but that would soon become a faraway though.

After some sweat talking and tear jerking begging, I managed to convince the then identified Druid priest to take me on as a new Acolyte of Chauntea.

That's not exactly how I spent the next four years, however. The good news it that Chauntea is pretty willing to grant the boons of her magic to anyone that pays lip service to her as long as they have strong feeling for ecology (Other gods are a lot more stringent.)s are a lot more stringent.) I love nature, I often went hiking and camping during college. My problem was that when I was learning how to channel Chauntea's magic, I started asking question on how what I was doing worked, which annoyed most of the other (younger) acolytes and some of the priests.

It wasn't long before they started asking me why I wasn't a wizard or training to be one, at which point I asked if I could be both. They didn't say anything at first, but asking around I discovered that most people that take on a character class, or what they were referring as careers, just don't want to put the time in to learn all those skills.

But I didn't have that problem. I've always loved studying, though not always the most academic subjects. I just found it really neat how I could absorb a whole book or magazine or website in one sitting and be able to understand almost everything from memory later on.

So I sought out instructions on the Arcane way of doing magic. There weren't many wizards in Wheloon, and none that were willing to take on a part time Prentice for no money that was already an acolyte of Chauntea. But luckily a passing band of adventures had a wizard in their party, and after getting him drunk enough, I convince him to lend me his old instruction book he used as an apprentice. He found me a few weeks later and took it back, but not before I was able to make my own copy littered with notes of my own. Not enough on it's own to get me to cast Magic Missile or anything, but it did get me started on figuring out how to do magic.

I eventually did get some hints out of the other mages in town, but the break through on expanding my arcane knowledge was when I learned to channel Orisons from Chauntea and started casting Read Magic. From there I was able to look at actual spells on scrolls and suddenly understand them a lot better than before. I then acquired old spell books from the other mages, and comparing their notes between using Read Magic and my own understanding, I quickly built up an education in Magic. That's when I made the most interesting discovery. Druidic magic was very different from Divine magic.

Divine magic comes from gods; you pray for a small miracle, and they give you ability to make that miracle happen when you want it too, with the stipulation that you cause these miracles to happen in line with the beliefs that they promote.

Druidic magic, on the other hand, is the channelling and manipulation of the natural ambient magic emanating from leylines and diffusing into the environment. Accessing this energy requires communing with nature itself and understanding it on a spiritual level. Usually that means you end up respecting nature, though not always.

Now, what the Druidic priests where doing was praying to Chantea for the ability to commune with nature on a deep spiritual level to access the energy being emanated by leylines and diffusing into nature. Slightly convoluted, so I decided to cut out the middle man.

I ended my time learning to be a priest, much to the ire of some of them, though the eldest did understand and believed I didn't belong with them anyway. I then went out into the nearby woods, not far from the city or the patrols to keep the area clear of monsters and dangerous beasts, but far enough away from the farms and lodges, to camp for a few months to commune with nature and dedicate more time to figuring out the spell books I had a hold of.

Now returning to town after nearly a year in the woods, I can confidently say that I am both a Druid and a Wizard, though I'm fully aware of of my low level. I can only pull off a few Magic Missile spells in a day so far, but I consider it a good start. Good enough for most adventurers to join a party to cover their asses, anyway. I remember enough about the D&D game that I played so many years ago to understand the concept of CoDzilla, and combining that with the real versatile power of the wizard means that I could become a pretty awesome character in my own right someday down the road.

If I don't get eaten by an owlbear or something along the way.

OP
the_taken

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score
The Character Sheet

[size=+2]Leonardo Chadwick Anderson[/size]
29 year old Male eHuman displaced to the Forgotten Realms

Appearance: Leon-Chad is a dark haired, brown-eyed human male of average height. He wears a brown cloak over a taupe shirt , rugged leather pants, a thick wool scarf and a wide-brimmed pointed hat. The large hunch under the cloak suggests that he has a large backpack. He uses a long oak branch as a walking stick. His posture and build suggest he's comfortable wherever he walks, and he always has a slight smile on his lips, as if he's stuck in a good mood. While his clean-shaven face is rather plain, it is clear of scars or blemishes.

Languages: Common, which is surprisingly just like English, except in name. Can learn four more due to high Intelligence, but hasn't had the opportunity yet.

Attributes:
Strength: 14
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 14
Intelligence: 20
Wisdom: 14
Charisma: 14
Comeliness: 14

[SIZE=+1]Classes and Experience Points[/SIZE]
Druid: 0/1150
Wizard: 0/1150
Rogue: 0/1075

[SIZE=+1]Feats and Abilities[/SIZE]
Character Feats: Feat slots show up on the same schedule as the wizard's base spells slots. No bonus feats are gained from any high attributes.
Level 0: 3
Negotiator, Persuasive, Investigator

Level 1: 1
Combat Expertise

Bonus Feats:
Scribe Scroll (Wizard Bonus)
Improved Initiative (Human Bonus)

Wizard Abilties:
Arcane Spell Casting: Intelligence based. Must prepare spells ahead of time.
7 level 0 spell slots (3 + 4 INTmod). Can be cast repeatedly without expending.
2 level 1 spell slots (1 + 1 INTmod). Expended when cast.

Summon Familiar: May summon a familiar for a few bonuses.
Current Familiar: none

Druid Abilities:
Geomantic Spell Casting: Wisdom based. Must prepare spells ahead of time.
5 level 0 spell slots (3 + 2 WISmod). Can be cast repeatedly without expending.
2 level 1 spell slots (1 + 1 WISmod). Expended when cast.

Animal Companion: A wild animal joins the party.
Current Companion: none

Nature Sense: +2 Bonus to Knowledge (Nature) and Survival

Wild Empathy: Understand and communicate with animals in a limited sense. May attempt diplomacy with animals.

Rogue Abilities:
Sneak Attack: Enemies denied their Dex Bonus to AC take an extra 1d6 damage from Leon's attacks within 30ft. Doesn't affect creatures with no discernible anatomy or those immune to critical hits.

Trapfinging: May use the Search skill to find hidden magical devices, and the Disable Device skills to disable magical devices.

[SIZE=+1]Skill Array[/SIZE]
Bonus Skill Points: 5 (1 Human, 5 Inteligence)
[SIZE=+1]Druid Skills:[/SIZE] 4
Climb (Str)
Craft (Int)
Diplomacy (Cha) Human Skill Point
Handle Animal (Cha)
Heal (Wis)
Knowledge (Geography) (Int)
Knowledge (Nature) (Int) Trained
Listen (Wis) Trained
Ride (Dex)
Spellcraft (Int) Wizard
Spot (Wis) Trained
Survival (Wis) Trained
Swim (Str)

[SIZE=+1]Wizard Skills:[/SIZE] 2
Appraise (Int)
Craft (Int) Druid
Decipher Script (Int) Trained
Knowledge (Arcana) (Int) Intelligence Skill Point
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int) Intelligence Skill Point
Knowledge (Engineering) (Int)
Knowledge (History) (Int)
Knowledge (Geography) (Int) Druid
Knowledge (Nature) (Int) Druid
Knowledge (Nobility) (Int)
Knowledge (Planes) (Int)
Knowledge (Religion) (Int)
Spellcraft (Int) Trained

[SIZE=+1]Rogue Skills:[/SIZE] 8
Appraise (Int) Wizard
Balance (Dex) Trained
Bluff (Cha) Intelligence Skill Point
Climb (Str)
Craft (Int) Druid
Decipher Script (Int) Wizard
Diplomacy (Cha) Druid
Disable Device (Int) Trained
Disguise (Cha)
Escape Artist (Dex) Trained
Gather Information (Cha) Intelligence Skill Point
Hide (Dex) Trained
Intimidate (Cha)
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int) Wizard
Jump (Str) Trained
Listen (Wis) Druid
Move Silently (Dex) Trained
Search (Int) Trained
Sense Motive (Wis) Intelligence Skill Point
Sleight of Hand (Dex)
Spot (Wis) Druid
Swim (Str)
Tumble (Dex) Trained
Use Magic Device (Cha)

[SIZE=+1]Equipment[/SIZE]
Explorer's Outfit
Quarter Staff
Backpack: Large Pot, Kettle, Bedroll, Winter Blanket, Soap, Various Books, Quill, Pen and Ink, Rolls of Parchment, Wood Axe, Survival Knife, Rolls of String, 50ft of Rope

Last edited:
OP
the_taken

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score
Re: Leonardo Chadwick Anderson, (D&D Triple-Super Gestalt)

[SIZE=+1]Special Rules[/SIZE]

Class and Levels
All entities start with zero class levels and one hit-dice of their creature type. Most base creature hit-dice don't provide skills points, save bonuses or BAB, just HP (which is always maxed instead of rolled since it's the first HD). This is true of all humans and humanoids of similar power.

Creatures that are to advance by character level that have yet to take one are considered level-0. They still get their racial abilities.

Upon taking a class level, a character rolls the first Hit-dice provided by the class and adds the result to the hit points total they got from their creature type hit-dice.

Different classes accumulate levels at different experience point thresholds from each other, based on a custom XP chart.

After that, all the rules for class levels, character levels and HD apply.

Gestalt Levelling
Characters can progress in more than one class at a time, allocating XP evenly between them. For each level acquired in each class, a player gets the best benefits of all their classes.

Most races can only gestalt into two classes from the start, and may have restrictions. Humans, Half-elves, Half-orcs and Halflings may start gestalting in three classes simultaneously.

Characters need not start gaining levels in all the classes they wish to gestalt in from the start. They may chose to begin gaining levels in a new base class later on in their career. However, this new class must be exclusively allocated experience points to until it has caught up to the class with the most experience points so far. Ghestalt characters must advance their base classes evenly, unless a prestige class is taken.

As classes reach levels at different rates, apply the benefits of a classes new level as they come, then one another class catches up, recalculate the benefits.
  • Roll HD separately for each class and apply the die with the greatest result between the two. Then add the constitution bonus.
  • Look at each base attack bonus and base save bonus between all classes and apply the greatest modifier between them. Then add the relevant attribute bonus.
  • Apply skill points to buy ranks in skills as they come. Bonus skill points from a high intelligence (or from being human) are only added once, and only once the class with the highest XP requirement for a level is achieved.
  • The character gains the benefit of all class abilities from all his class levels as they are achieved.

Prestige Classes
Some classes are special and cannot be chosen from the start. They have requirements that must be met in order to begin in them and start advancing.

The experience point cost to gain a level in a prestige class is unique to each, and will be noted in a table.

Many prestige classes are meant to replace advancement in a class, such as the Loremaster prestige class replacing the Wizard base class, in which case the player character may choose to cease advancement in the related base class to instead allocate experience points to the new class.

If not, then the character may instead choose to instead start allocating experience points to the new class following the rules for gestalting.

Every time a player character gains a level in a prestige class, he may opt to cease allocating experience points towards it. He may also choose to resume allocating experience points to the base class.

Feats
As characters begin gaining class levels, they get access to slots that they may assign feats to. The gain them at the same character levels and in the same number as wizards gain spell slots for class levels. Characters do not get extra feat slots from having a high ability score. Nor do they gain additional feats from using the gestalt rules, asides from bonus feats gained from classes.

Feats slots and actual feats have levels, just like spells do. Feats must be assigned to slots of the same or higher level.

Skill boosting feats, like Skill Focus, Persuasive or Magical Aptitude are considered level 0 feats. Dodge is also a level 0 feat.

The level of other feats is one higher than the level of the highest level feat that is one of its requirements.

Bonus Feats that are granted via class ability and need not take into consideration feat levels. They still need to meet the other requirements as if the class requires it.

Last edited: