What's new

ACT [Lynte] Tentacle Tower Defense (RE253657) (RJ253657)

OP
Lynte

Lynte

Reputation score
I've finished setup on all 30+ levels as of today.

2019-01-27 14_39_20-Window.png 2019-01-27 14_23_34-Window.png 2019-01-27 14_42_15-Window.png

I'll take another short break then work on the gallery next. I think it will take a couple of months.
And then I'll take some weeks to iron things out after that.

There's a good chance I will be working with a friend's circle for a convention around mid-March so development will freeze for a while around that time.

Last edited:
OP
Lynte

Lynte

Reputation score
I posted about this on but forgot to do it here.

Lane Exclusions Preview 2.gif
I put in tech so that individual cells could be disabled at each level.
Enemies won't spawn in lanes where no turrets are allowed to be placed.
With this, I can limit lanes to 3 or 5 or whatever during the earlier levels and scale it to full 7 lanes later on.

Difficulty Settings Preview.gif
I also started working some difficulty settings.

OP
Lynte

Lynte

Reputation score
Couple of the UI updates I was talking about.

For those who've played RTS, it's common knowledge to use resources ASAP. But it can be unintuitive for other players. That's why I've added a resource cap from the beginning to nudge players into spending resources sooner. That's why it's also a huge part of the UI.

However, there have been instances where players get a lot of resources at the same and forget they're already maxed out. So I've added an animation and sound as a reminder once 75% of the cap is reached. (Only happens up to once every 15 sec so as not to be too annoying.) Also, the resource display now flashes faster the closer to the cap the player has reached.
Resource Flasher Preview.gif

During testing, there were instances where players would finish harder areas first and find other areas too easy. I've placed a DANGER rating on each level to add a bit of clarity to the intended difficulty throughout the game.
Danger Level Preview.gif

And finally, I did some work on the title screen.
2019-05-07 22_13_12-Window.png

OP
Lynte

Lynte

Reputation score

For the people who have participated in this thread until now, thank you. Since there are only 16 of you (listed below), I can e-mail a copy of the first release version. Just let me know your e-mail via pm. If you wanna buy it yourself to support me, that's fine too.
1. bobthemanseven
2. dfxtent
3. dijitz
4. forprawn
5. Inspector_Whatsup
6. Jesus
7. kiko
8. moonblack
9. Noble 6
10. qwerpoiu80
11. rakukonpaku
12. Serifyn
13. Tenchi757
14. textbook703
15. The Alpacalypse
16. unknownmyriad

I wish you could just give out keys/coupons for DLsite games.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Game released, thread moved to H-games.

OP
Lynte

Lynte

Reputation score
Just got a report one of the gallery animations are bugged. =__=
It's at level 30 - The tentacle toggle doesn't turn on.

Edit: I'll leave it be for now. The fix is easy but I don't want and risk introducing other bugs in an update. I'll wait and see if there are other bug reports as well.

Last edited:

C0mpl1cat10n

Lurker
Reputation score
Thanks for reminding me, I forgot about that. The censor can be removed on the current version by messing with some files.
Go to the game folder Tentacle Tower Defense v2019.05.15.F2_Data\RelCen and delete veil7.dat
Thanks, looking forward to it coming out on EN DLsite.

Masker99

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Just tried out the demo the other day. Gotta say, this feels very polished.
I can tell there's quite a lot of work put into this game. (Unlike a lot of games that dare venture into the ero category)
The menus have more than just "Music <> Sound <>" which is definitely a plus. The fact that you can toggle UI pause off is great too!
The retro style UI looks great with the grid field. Everything about it is quite intuitive too. What a breath of fresh air...
Though with my overly aggresive energy production strategy, the bleep that goes off when you have full energy gets a bit repetitive haha...

In overall, 'm digging it ! Gonna consider grabbing it once my paycheck comes in.

Tenchi757

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Looks good and grats on the release! When I get a chance to sit down and play it I'll write some thoughts here. Once it's out on EN DLsite I recommend people buy a copy there as well.

P.S. Forums didn't notify me about new posts. Shows as watched. WTF?

OP
Lynte

Lynte

Reputation score
Everything about it is quite intuitive too.
In overall, 'm digging it !
Thanks! I put a lot of effort into making the learning process for the basics a smooth experience.
I think it's easy for these kinds of games to turn off players not used to the genre. Disorganized UI, clunky controls or too many variables.

Looks good and grats on the release! When I get a chance to sit down and play it I'll write some thoughts here.
Thanks & have fun~

OP
Lynte

Lynte

Reputation score
The game is now out on DLSite English!

Tenchi757

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Finished the game on hard though due to time issues skipped some of the later filler levels (left side final area only). I found the game pretty solid and the TD mechanics were pretty well done. I like the new features in retail vs the early beta like abilities and tower placement regen, etc. Lots of nice quality of life improvements. The options to skip filler levels and auto-collect resources are nice for those who want an easier time. Nice pixel (dot) animations and decent variety.

I did feel there are a *lot* of filler levels but they do pad out the length of the game. Would be really short otherwise. Probably a 3-5 hour affair depending how many retries people need for harder levels. The later unlock levels with no Q available did ramp up the difficulty which was nice. Kind of wish there were more of the final style levels but enjoyed the game. If you ever release an update with some "EX" bonus levels for even more challenge that'd be pretty sweet. Only other thoughts are that some kind of "boss" unit mechanic or new mechanic, more than just the one tile disable alien, would've been neat. Implementing it right might be tricky though. Random idea: some kind of tower that sexually harassed units for energy or ability recharge could be fun.

I'll snag a copy on DLsite English to support you. Congrats again on the release Lynte.

OP
Lynte

Lynte

Reputation score
Finished the game on hard...
Nice. Happy to know you played all the way through.

I put a lot of levels because I wanted to keep the difficulty high. And I needed to buy time for the players to get better at it. The level types (survival/control/superweapon) and loadout changes were then created to try and keep things interesting throughout. Level types were actually quite a leap for me. They aren't very common in Tower Defense games and I wasn't sure if it was worth all the work. Loadout changes were inspired by another game.

Kind of wish there were more of the final style levels
I'm not sure what you mean by this part ⤴

I'll see about putting out a content update. I hate to admit it but the sales aren't that great right now. Hopefully, new content will be out by the end of the year.
A few non-gameplay bug fixes and tweaks are coming soon, though.

About bosses, uh... I haven't seen many Tower Defense (or even RTS) bosses and they usually suck ass. A friend really wanted one during development but I just couldn't work it out.

Also glad the QoL stuff is getting appreciated 🙂 I tried to keep it open despite the difficulty. UI & smoothing out player experience is another one of those things I got increasingly concerned about the more I learned about designing games.

Tenchi757

Demon Girl
Reputation score
I'm not sure what you mean by this part ⤴
I was gone for a few days but let me clarify. When I said this:
The later unlock levels with no Q available did ramp up the difficulty which was nice. Kind of wish there were more of the final style levels but enjoyed the game.
I meant that the final dozen or so levels I played had more challenge and forced harder choices since Q was blocked and I couldn't create new resource nodes. That was a nice change and some more challenging levels, same or different mechanic, would be nice. You've done a good job with the game TBH, so I think I can safely look forward to any content update!

About bosses, uh... I haven't seen many Tower Defense (or even RTS) bosses and they usually suck ass. A friend really wanted one during development but I just couldn't work it out.
I can see the challenge with dropping some mega unit that is hard to kill and having it plow through your towers. Would require some purpose-built level at the bare minimum. I put "boss" in quotes because I was grouping the tile disable alien under boss and thought more unique mechanics like that would've added just a bit more variety. Just a wish list item--not really a critical point.

That's all. Wish you luck with sales and all and I'll go back to lurking.