What's new

Machine Translation of japanese games

Lokes

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Hey guys, not sure if there is a thread like this already, but I've been wondering, which program most of you guys are using while playing japanese games (RPG, VN, etc....).

As far as I know there are like.. three methods:

-Visual Novel Reader (VNR)

-ITH and Translation Aggregator

-Chiitrans

Would be awesome, if you guys could give me some input, on which is the best to use. I am not really familiar with them yet.

For example, I see many people playing RPGs with only partials. Which translation software are you using it with?

Or does everyone here speak japanese xD.. (that would be kind of awesome actually... and sad for me, lol ).

Looking forward to your replies.
Regards, Lokes

Oiz

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: Machine Translation of japanese games

Hey guys, not sure if there is a thread like this already, but I've been wondering, which program most of you guys are using while playing japanese games (RPG, VN, etc....).

As far as I know there are like.. three methods:

-Visual Novel Reader (VNR)

-ITH and Translation Aggregator

-Chiitrans

Would be awesome, if you guys could give me some input, on which is the best to use. I am not really familiar with them yet.

For example, I see many people playing RPGs with only partials. Which translation software are you using it with?

Or does everyone here speak japanese xD.. (that would be kind of awesome actually... and sad for me, lol ).

Looking forward to your replies.
Regards, Lokes
I use VNR, since it has a very user-friendly interface is easy to use. Before I used AGTH + TA, but it's not nearly as simple.

You can also use multiple hooks with VNR, which is useful for Wolf games. For example you can have 1 for dialog, 1 for choices, 1 for items, 1 for item descriptions, 1 for names. Many wolf games need different hooks for different texts

Vaed

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

used chiitran for rpg maker and vnr for wolf, though both of them tend to use a lot of ram

OP
Lokes

Lokes

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I see, thank you very much. Guess I will get VNR too now, since I am currently using chii only.

acapicaso

Demon Girl
Reputation score

For me VNR is The best.

chrisroxxx

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I'm a big fan of using ith with translation aggregator, mostly 'cause I use translation aggregator for working on actual translations. I'm kinda used to how it works.

My favourite machine translators are 'Honyaku', 'Baidu', 'Babylon', 'Google', 'Excite', 'Infoseek', 'SysTran', 'LEC' in that particular order, but you can change them around in translation aggregator, no clue how it works with the other software.

Cadgy

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I'm a big fan of using ith with translation aggregator, mostly 'cause I use translation aggregator for working on actual translations. I'm kinda used to how it works.

My favourite machine translators are 'Honyaku', 'Baidu', 'Babylon', 'Google', 'Excite', 'Infoseek', 'SysTran', 'LEC' in that particular order, but you can change them around in translation aggregator, no clue how it works with the other software.
I prefer TA+ITH as well, I use Mecab (it helps me memorize the readings of the kanji), Honyaku, Babylon, LEC Online, and Atlas (with a pimped out dictionary loaded)

I found VNR to be too memory intensive and laggy for my weak machine.

Daedolon

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I use ITH but I find it a bit tedious to use. I didn't know about the others so I'll check them.

chrisroxxx

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I prefer TA+ITH as well, I use Mecab (it helps me memorize the readings of the kanji), Honyaku, Babylon, LEC Online, and Atlas (with a pimped out dictionary loaded)

I found VNR to be too memory intensive and laggy for my weak machine.

Yeah, forgot about mecab, thanks. It's a given, I always run that by the side while translating ;). But since I felt the creator of the post was more into playing games instead of translating, I didn't mention it, my bad...:eek:

Reputation score

I somehow broke my VNR, it just spits out gibberish and a fresh install does the same thing, I guess there is a registry file or something I didn't find?