What's new

Memorable Rock and Metal Festivals (or live shows in general)

Bamioum

Demon Girl
Reputation score
So Yeah, i recently got the chance to watch Alice Cooper live (first row even!), and while i'm by no means a stranger to rock and metal concerts i must admit that it completely blew my mind. The man is as much a showman as a musician, I knew something was up when he used a sword to spread dollar bills around (i got three of them), and then when they strapped him to the machine and the fucking Frankenstein monster appeared during Feed my Frankenstein i was totally in love With the show. Other highlights were when he cut his head off, returned to life (used less time than Jesus even), got stuck in a straight jacket, the eerie dancing of his wifey (also saw her panties, which were red, which was nice). There was also a hilarious sketch with hillary and trump during the song Elected (he totally should be) and some fireworks and stuff. All in all i'll probably never forget it, both the Music and performance were fucking brilliant.

The next band out was Ghost (which i love with all my heart), before they went out on stage incense was burned along the edges of the scene, and while they weren't as spectacular as Alice Cooper, the atmosphere created by the Nameless Ghouls and the always elegant Papa Emeritus gave me the shivers. The monologue Papa gave about the female orgasm before Monstrance Clock was followed by a general consensus and much applause by the audience, which i'll take as meaning that all is right in the world still.

Other noteworthy performances were Amon Amarth with they're smoke-spewing Nordic dragon heads.
Europe, a couple of old guys with way to much energy still (they were of course brilliant), the audience went completely bonkers when they played the final countdown.
Megadeth were there as well, but whilst they played perfectly, the performance itself were disappointing (it was as if they were statues). A band i hadn't heard about; Rival Sons were also present, they were a pleaseant surprise as they played excellent hard rock music with tons of energy, the vocalist kinda reminded me of Robert Plant.

Black Sabbath which were one of my main reasons of going also played there (last concert in Norway i think.) Lot's of the classics were played, especially from Paranoid, How Ozzy keeps it going is a Medical mystery, but holy hell those guys can play. While there was better live bands later (even Europe did slightly better than them) i'm still very glad that i could be there to witness they're last concert in Norway.

The festival ended on a high note with Behemoth, which had a pretty decent pyroshow and some fancy fireworks at the beginning and end. Also they spewed fake blood everywhere (namely on those on the first row, or in other Words me.)

For those interested the festival was Tons of Rock in Halden,Norway

Other Things that stuck with me from the festival was the food (never again will i eat nachos or pulled pork), the fact that they actually had decent beer which is a fucking miracle, the reminder that other People at the camping is a plague unending and sleep is apparently still for the weak. The odd phenomen that causes People to piss pretty much everywhere male or female (i never understood this). And Yeah, the smell will probably stick around a while as well.
All in all i'd say that it was a pretty decent festival for Norways standards, Next stop will be Wacken next year so Yeah, that's something i Guess.

So anyway, anyone else got a live show or festival they'd like to bring up?

hellotoko

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Memorable Rock and Metal Festivals (or live shows in general)

Judas Priest and Black Sabbath!