What's new

Minecraft CYOA - Picture Heavy

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score
I've wanted to take pictures to document one of my games of minecraft for awhile, but never really found the motivation. Thought that perhaps if I involved everyone it would get going better. For those of you who don't know what minecraft is, its a a indie game that's basically a big open sandbox, but revolves around mining stuff and using it to build things, like castles, villages, etc. The art style is blocky, on purpose though. And before you ask, no tentacle monsters or anything the sort :p

So first we have a few setup options:

Play Style

1. Giant Base Buidling
2. Small Outpost Building
3. Village/Town Building
4. Constantly on the run
5. Other

Giant Base Buidling

Most of our efforts will be focused on making one huge base, constantly expanding it, more rooms, entrances, etc.

Small Outpost Building

Explore the world and leave small outposts, such as towers and waystations, behind to mark where we've explored, perhaps build a road to connect them all.

Village/Town Building

Same as above, but building larger towns and stuff instead of generic outposts.

Constantly on the run

Only build small safe havens to survive from monsters, heavy emphasis on exploration and survival.

*Requires monsters enabled.
** I personally really don't like this play style, and will probably die alot.

Other

Self Explanitory

Difficulty

1. No Monsters
2. Easy
3. Hard

These aren't the actual difficulty levels, but theres like 8 of them, so...

Setting

1. Summer
2. Winter

The difference here is mostly cosmetic, but in the winter not only does snow pile up, but water freezes, so travel by boat is out, moats will be ineffective, ect.

Character

For the most part, just suggest what type of char you want to be the narrator, but there's a few background choices we should vote on.

1. Transplanted
2. Surveyor
3. Colonist

Transplanted

Character wakes up to find themselves in this new mysterious world.

Surveyor

Character has been sent by a large group to stake a claim/set up shop before they arrive.

Colonist

Character is out for themself to build a new world.

And that's pretty much it. I'll wait for a good number of votes to come in before starting.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score
Re: Minecraft CYOA - Picture Heavy

Oh god, I love Minecraft so much.

Play Style
2 - It's what I do all the time. That or just build into mountains and carve stairs leading to the tops of them.

Difficulty

Setting
1 - Where's the fun if you cant flood an area that monsters are chasing you into?

Character

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh gods Minecraft. So simplistic...yet so much fun. Still remember when I remade Cornelia from FF1.

Ahem, anyway:

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Just gonna say, the first post will probably be comming on Wednesday, so if you're watching and havn't decided if you want to post, that's how long you have to decide the starting conditions.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

I like 3 (villages), 2 (easy monsters), 1 (summer), 2 (surveyor) best.

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I know I said I'd do this today, but moving it to Friday, bought something off steam that'll keep me busy for today and tomorrow.

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Tie for play style, that'll be okay, I CAN mix them after all. Here we go.

Btw, forgot to ask if yall wanted to name our character or whatever. Right now we don't even know if it's a guy or a gal.

P.S. I'll do some basic things without asking, like making torches, pickaxes, etc, cause we really need them no matter what.

-----

Dear Diary,

The ship that was chartered to bring me and my colonists to this new land has been destroyed. Last night there was a massive storm. I was knocked out when a beam swung lose and hit me in the face. I woke up here on this beach. Somehow I don't think this small body of water is connected to the ocean....

To one side, there is a rather large woodland area, and to the other side is a large hill.

This is most troubling. I must form a plan at once! I do not know what kind of wildlife is in the new world, or what harsh elements may be blowing up, like last nights storm. Plus, I know another group will be along eventually, and I might as well get started on construction.

The way I see it, I have a few options:

1 - Scout for a Cave - A cave is a nice natural shelter, might get lucky and find some coal.

2 - Build shelter using the nearby trees - It'd be nice to have a hut to live in, atleast for the mean time. Plus excess wood can be used for fire.

3 - Scout around - That hill is pretty high, I could probably see a long ways from up there, get a good feel for the land, and perhaps even find the ocean again. It can't be far...

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Oh woot. I don't normally check the CYOA section, but I'm glad I spotted this one before it got to far without me.

I'm gonna vote 3 - Scout, here.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

3- Need a dispenser here! Need a dispenser here! Need a dispenser here! Need a dispenser here!- Oh wait, wrong scout.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

3 - Be sure to Detect Hidden, possibly followed by a Reveal.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

You all suck. 1 is clearly the best option.

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Well keep in mind, I might find a cave while scouting too. Hell, looking at the picture of the hill I think I can already see one.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Mmmm... I'll vote 3 as well. Although... wouldn't existing caves tend to have existing inhabitants?

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

3 for all the reasons mentioned above.

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

(Yeah, the caves probably have things in them but generally only down a certain distance, near the surface it'd be "safe". IE more likely something would wander in from up top)

---------------

I have decided to venture up the nearby hill to see what the surrounding area is like. Hopefully I can find some way to tell which way the ship was.

About half way up, I find a cave. That'll be an interesting find, but I can't stop to look into it right now!

I must watch out for sinkholes! I saw this depression in time, and it really is just a secondary entrance to the cave, but it reminds me I need to be careful where I step!

Coal! This is great! Quite a bit too, this will be usefull to make some torches to ward off the darkness at night, and vital if I want to go exploring down a cave.

Hmmm, it seems that this pond is not anywhere near the ocean, atleast from what I can see here. Interesting and upsetting at the same time...

Ah, here's the ocean, I think! There's a strange morning fog about, prenting me from seeing too far, but this water looks connected to something. Perhaps this is a nice natural bay. I'm eager to go down an explore the area more.

However, I think I might be letting my excitement get the best of me. I really should weigh my options. I could:

1) Use some tree branches to make a makeshift pickaxe, then mine the coal and get some torches ready, so I won't be caught unprepared for tonight.

2) Build shelter now that I know how to get to open water. (Will open subchoices if has enough support)

3) Go ahead an explore the bay now.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

#1. Getting some sort of light source/defense going is definitely a good thing. Worse case scenario, you don't have time to make a shelter later and have to use the opening of a cave to protect yourself from some elements.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Since we're near it, I guess the coal is a good thing to start on.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

I'll vote for #1 too, though keep #2 in mind while mining the coal. You could make a basic shelter in the cave.

OP
OAMP

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I have decided I better get something to light up this place tonight. I'd hate to have to rush around out in the dark to make some lighting, it'd be even worse then spending a night in a pitch black crack in the hill. So first I gather up some lose branches and make an inpromptu workbench to make a wooden pick-axe. I don't expect this tool to last long, I can use it to get enough stone to make a better one, and after that perhaps I can find iron. Anywho, I place the workbench near the surface coal, seeing no better place for it right now.

I quickly gather the coal and make around 20 torches. I use one to mark where I mined, just as a reference point in case I need to go running in the dark.

I also take a quick peek down the opening, wondering if perhaps this connects to the other cave I found. It doesn't.

This helps me come up with further options. Lighting taken care of, I can:

1) Go explore around the bay, then run back to the cave at nightfall, either to simply rest or to make a small shelter within.

2) Convert this cave into a shelter of some sort now.

3) Explore the other cave, mine it for resources as I go.

4) Connect this cave with the other cave while making a mining camp in preparation for stone strip mine.

5) Other