What's new

RPG Patreon Active [Threshold] Monster Girl Dreams

OP
Threshold

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I've been working on a mod loader to automate the process of adding user-made content to the game, but in doing so, I've found a bug: "Addition" files for a location add their events/monsters twice.

The problem can be fixed by replacing this code (from line 669 onwards in LoadDatabase.rpy):

EDIT: Something else I've noticed is that when you fail to get free of a stance, some monsters have a "stanceStruggleComment", but the game is looking for "stanceStruggleFailComment".
Oh thank you for pointing these out, I'll fix these for the next update.

ModLoader v1.0 for Monster Girl Dreams v15.1

As promised, here's the mod loader I've been working on, along with a mod that adds a high-level succubus, Fiore, to the Mountain.

ModLoader doesn't tamper with Monster Girl Dreams, and is designed to have as light a footprint as possible - it doesn't interfere with any other mods that you install by hand - but due to the bug I outlined above, the zip does contain a replacement LoadDatabase.rpy file.

To install ModLoader, just extract it into the Monster Girl Dreams directory.
To install mods, extract them into the "ModLoader/mods" folder and run ModLoader.

EDIT: The ModLoader folder now contains ModLoader.py and ModLoader.exe. Both have the same functionality, but the EXE doesn't need Python to be installed.
Wait you made a what?! Well, I'll definitely have to check this out.
As well as the mod you made.

Looks like there's a bug, I'm getting a crash when trying to open the event list for mountain. Here's the traceback
When adding mods to an old save you need to manually update your save in options or you get that crash.
Least i'm pretty sure that's the issue here.

Kaa

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
When adding mods to an old save you need to manually update your save in options or you get that crash.
Huh, you're right. Strange, I never encountered it while playtesting, removing/adding my own mod.

Speaking of which, I updated it to work with modloader, if anyone cares. Seems to work fine alongside Fiore, so mod loader is definitely working great, give it a try.

EDIT: fixed one entry to metadata file

Attachments

Last edited:

StrangeMan52

Reputation score
Speaking of which, I updated it to work with modloader, if anyone cares. Seems to work fine alongside Fiore, so mod loader is definitely working great, give it a try.
Ah, I didn't realise you were the author of that mod! I already had it installed; it's very good. I didn't realise that you did the artwork! One detail: I think your metadata file is missing a milk to the StrangeElf.json.

One detail I notice on my mod is that surrendering doesn't seem to work properly; I had thought that you could specify different types of surrender taunts if the player surrendered when in different stances (like with orgasms). I'll fix that in the next release.

I was working on another mod which adds an angel to the game with moves like "Hand Holding" and "Hug", but on playing it, it's a bit offputting, so I'll scrap that one.

Kaa

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
One detail: I think your metadata file is missing a milk to the StrangeElf.json.
That's right, updated original post with a fixed file. I wish we had a way to display different names for current speaker without bloating the game with dummy files just for the sake of a single string.
Glad you like it, since I received no feedback I figured it was bad.

I really like your angel idea, but I guess it doesn't make much sense, since those kind of skills don't really target body parts or exploit any existing fetishes.

StrangeMan52

Reputation score
Not at all! It stands up next to the game's own content as far as I'm concerned.

For the angel, I just thought that an opponent trying to win by gently caressing one's knuckles would be funny... until I realised that the the way I was writing her made her seem as though the player was taking advantage of her, which wasn't nearly as much fun. Maybe if I had her not be so oblivious at first, and learn better moves the more you fight her...?

Kaa

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
learn better moves the more you fight her...?
That sounds pretty rad and pretty easy to make, just call combat encounter with different variations of the monster, depending on event progress. I think its worth trying to finish.

I have two ideas right now, a hypnosis-using bunny witch and a doll/automata thing with no genitals, but both feel like they'd belong in higher level locations/dungeons. I'll see how temple mountain dungeon goes, and maybe make a custom location instead. That'd be a huge undertaking though.

OP
Threshold

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Huh, you're right. Strange, I never encountered it while playtesting, removing/adding my own mod.

EDIT: fixed one entry to metadata file
Probably was a save that was from a version prior or something, because that will auto update if it detects an older version.

Now that I think about it, it might be possible to have it update the lists like it does for the game when it detects a version change for mods.

Ah, I didn't realise you were the author of that mod! I already had it installed; it's very good. I didn't realise that you did the artwork! One detail: I think your metadata file is missing a milk to the StrangeElf.json.

One detail I notice on my mod is that surrendering doesn't seem to work properly; I had thought that you could specify different types of surrender taunts if the player surrendered when in different stances (like with orgasms). I'll fix that in the next release.

I was working on another mod which adds an angel to the game with moves like "Hand Holding" and "Hug", but on playing it, it's a bit offputting, so I'll scrap that one.
It would be possible to add that functionality to surrendering fairly easily, I'm pretty sure.

Though such dialogue would probably work out better/be seen more once I eventually add in the option to request attacks from monsters.
That has no eta though so don't hold your breath.

Depends on the angle you're going for your angel I think, but hand holding might enter into the 'a bit too silly' territory. Least for dealing damage, could be a restraint, or a debuff move if magic is involved.

That's right, updated original post with a fixed file. I wish we had a way to display different names for current speaker without bloating the game with dummy files just for the sake of a single string.
I'm guessing you how to have alts like ???, Elf, or character name, with the same description and stuff without needing extra files?
It's probably doable. Don't know if I'll get to it this version though.

Also I meant to comment on that mod you made and totally forgot to. xD
I think it turned out pretty good, and the art you made for it was unexpected.

That sounds pretty rad and pretty easy to make, just call combat encounter with different variations of the monster, depending on event progress. I think its worth trying to finish.

I have two ideas right now, a hypnosis-using bunny witch and a doll/automata thing with no genitals, but both feel like they'd belong in higher level locations/dungeons. I'll see how temple mountain dungeon goes, and maybe make a custom location instead. That'd be a huge undertaking though.
There's definitely some later areas to be added they would fit better into than the current ones.
And the bunny witch would probably work out better once the next dungeon is out with its new status effect.

SeeingRed

Reputation score
Is it possible to lower the cost needed to remove your fetishes and sensitivity? The last time I checked, it was costing an astronomical amount for me to cleanse and it was impossible for me to afford. I couldn't grind monsters because my character was getting 1 hitted. I then tried to earn money from the inn lady but it wasn't helping either because you become more and more depraved the more you work for at the inn.

Williamtheshatner

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Is it possible to lower the cost needed to remove your fetishes and sensitivity? The last time I checked, it was costing an astronomical amount for me to cleanse and it was impossible for me to afford. I couldn't grind monsters because my character was getting 1 hitted. I then tried to earn money from the inn lady but it wasn't helping either because you become more and more depraved the more you work for at the inn.
There are a few options, I think, but none of them are all that great.

If you're still relatively early on in the game, you could always just restart, but that's always a little frustrating and might not be worth it in your eyes.

If you don't want to do that, I'd recommend you try to take out the sensitivities first, because they are WAY cheaper to take care of than the fetishes, then try to farm/dps race some of the easier monsters in the forest (due to them having penalties for losing only worth a max of like 100 gold), and trying to target the fetishes that those monsters specifically try to get to next (like I know elves' main attacks target kissing, sex, and mouth sensitivities and fetishes) before moving up from that. It certainly isn't perfect, but it's something.

...Or, if you want a more underhanded method to go about it, I would recommend using a save editor, and I'll put a link to one below.

The save files are located in C:\Users\(Your Pc Name)\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\MonGirl (with a string of numbers afterwards).
Then you'll have to drag the save file you want to edit into it, then Ctrl + F this:
player > BodySensitivity >
Fetishes are directly underneath this, but they aren't listed like the other ones. You should be able to put everything there to 0 using that except for the baseline fetish you have to set from the beginning (as that one is always at least 2).

And on a somewhat unrelated note to defend myself, I've never used a save editor on this game, merely on other RenPy things that require a dumb amount of grinding to get through, and Cheat Engine doesn't work with RenPy stuff. Annoyingly.

BluFalcon

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Out of curiosity, will every character in the game have images eventually, Including the townsfolk? Like was that on the list of things the creator had always wanted? I really like all the art that has been added so far but I had always assumed it was just couple one-off things. The game is shaping up to be pretty great so far and it makes me happy to see that there's a constant emphasis on the combat system and balancing. A lot of games just release something and go "well if it's broke, it's broke". Also the arachne is waifu for laifu.

Williamtheshatner

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Out of curiosity, will every character in the game have images eventually, Including the townsfolk? Like was that on the list of things the creator had always wanted? I really like all the art that has been added so far but I had always assumed it was just couple one-off things. The game is shaping up to be pretty great so far and it makes me happy to see that there's a constant emphasis on the combat system and balancing. A lot of games just release something and go "well if it's broke, it's broke". Also the arachne is waifu for laifu.
New characters will probably be coming out way faster than new art most likely due to the cost of commissioning artists, so I'm not sure it'd be really be probable for the gap for releasing new content and characters to releasing new art to be bridged, but I don't think Threshold has explicitly said anything against wanting to make art for everything (both on here and on Patreon), so that's probably a good sign as well. But I'm not Threshold, so I'm just speculating here.
And I would agree that Camilla is pretty awesome.

OP
Threshold

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
v16 is now out!

I'll be actually looking into the mod loader finally, for the probably inevitable bug fix update.

I plan to have every character have art. But it is definitely not a fast process.

A good portion of the content in the game is the combat, so it's pretty important for it to work right and not be too frustrating or grindy.

Williamtheshatner

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I'll say it again for this new version, if anyone finds any spelling or grammar things they think are weird or off, anything at all from older content (i.e. not anything released in this new update, literally anything older is fair game) send me a pm and I'll be sure to take a look at it. Thanks!

colasCageNi

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Plasmid is an amazing artist. I'm glad that his art takes a small part in this game.

Williamtheshatner

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
If anyone is playing the new update, DO NOT SELL ANYTHING. There's a bug in the store that causes you to sell things you aren't clicking on, which includes key items. If you lose them, there is no way to get them back, and it can mess up quests and quest progression, or even prevent you from visiting the forest dungeon or mountain altogether.

OP
Threshold

Threshold

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
v16.1 bug fix update is out. Fixing the inventory issue for example.

Kinohki

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
v16.1 bug fix update is out. Fixing the inventory issue for example.
Heather is best girl, without a doubt. Love the breast brainwashing she does. That was absolutely glorious, lol. I can't wait for more of the game to be added. I'm interested to see what all monsters you manage to come up with :3

Yuhan

Reputation score
I checked out the modloader and tested both Fiore and the Dark Elf Priestress.

The modloader works great!

Remember to update your save if you have an older one and you decide to use mods.

The mods did break some brothel interactions.

Kaa

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
The mods did break some brothel interactions.
???
Can you elaborate what exactly happens, I can't think of any way mountain mods would affect the town, or brothel in particular. Beside a namespace conflict perhaps, but I figured scene names are properly scoped and shouldn't cause conflicts across events.