What's new

ACT Patreon Active [MoxieTouch] Deep in Brixen Space [v0.3.9]

What do you enjoy in side scroller games?

• Gameplay

Votes: 108 58.7%
  • In-game Sprites

Votes: 162 88.0%
  • Static Image CGs

Votes: 23 12.5%
  • Animated CGs

Votes: 66 35.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OP
MoxieTouch

MoxieTouch

Reputation score
Hey hey. I got a sweet deal for ya.

DiBS is in a Free Western NSFW Game Bundle!
10 Adult Action games in one neat, easy-to-download package. Very convenient, yes.

This is a limited-time bundle.
while it's steaming hot. (Available until October 18)

Just don't tell nobody, which means tell everyone. Everyone.
At Discord, Twitter, your dog, the invisible demon lady in the corner. Tell Everyone.

Here, how to tell everyone:
Code:
[URL='https://itch.io/b/597/the-pay-what-you-want-adult-action-games-free-demo-bundle'][IMG width="250px"]https://i.imgur.com/MYtrpHv.png[/IMG][/URL]
Code:
https://itch.io/b/597/the-pay-what-you-want-adult-action-games-free-demo-bundle
Or just retweet it on

If people on discord ask 'wtf dude what is this,'
just say the demon lady got to your phone while you're jacking to the bundle.

All that matters is that you, and another guy you shared, get to experience this delightful bundle of the millennium.

So download, and tell everyone. And above all, have fun!

~~~~~~~~~~

So that's where I've been in the past few days. Hope you guys have fun with the bundle!

I think we can reasonably assume our main character here isn't combat military from the slightly wonky accuracy, and the outfit makes me think engineer/mechanic anyway.
It's always an engineer.
furry r63 isaac clarke confirmed?

1600705116705.png
Fetch me your soul

Last edited:

scrumpy80

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Just asking this because I didn't see it in the patch notes, did you fix the glitch with the voice effects?

A Lost Cat

Lurker
Reputation score
This is the first time i've heard of the term "coyote timer", though i know of the mechanic, it's necessity, and how it's absence is a contributing factor to many a platformer's problems. Glad to see that added, i was having quite a bit of rough jumping in the elevator area and was getting frustrated with that specifically. Now i know what to call it in other games.

OP
MoxieTouch

MoxieTouch

Reputation score
Just asking this because I didn't see it in the patch notes, did you fix the glitch with the voice effects?
Here's a quote from the debug discord.
1601804353905.png

I.e., voices are removed for now. You'll sometimes hear Moxie moan and voices, since that's a separate system. (Well, in that case, I didn't really remove it. It's just rarer now. :v)

This is the first time i've heard of the term "coyote timer", though i know of the mechanic, it's necessity, and how it's absence is a contributing factor to many a platformer's problems. Glad to see that added, i was having quite a bit of rough jumping in the elevator area and was getting frustrated with that specifically. Now i know what to call it in other games.

Even Doom 2016 has it. You'll notice it when you fall off an edge, then suddenly jump. Once you know, it's hard not to notice everywhere.

OP
MoxieTouch

MoxieTouch

Reputation score
So uh, how do you create a new poll? Been at here for 20 minutes pushing buttons.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

You should have an Edit button at the top right of the poll.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
Alright, the poll should be straightened out now.

OP
MoxieTouch

MoxieTouch

Reputation score
Alright, the poll should be straightened out now.
Thank you, once again!

Anyway, new poll everyone! Now we're talking about what we enjoy in games. Specifically, what part of a game you enjoy!

Personally really enjoy in-game sprites. Mostly because it is so closely tied to the gameplay. Once the animation is done, I'm right back to the game.

On the other hand, static/animated CGs are a separate interaction (usually little to no interaction) Once the CG is done, it usually pushes you right back to the start / last checkpoint. It's a weird, conflicting feeling. You're rewarded as a player with the CG, but also punished by going back to where you last started.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Lurker
Reputation score
Personally really enjoy in-game sprites. Mostly because it is so closely tied to the gameplay. Once the animation is done, I'm right back to the game.

On the other hand, static/animated CGs are a separate interaction (usually little to no interaction) Once the CG is done, it usually pushes you right back to the start / last checkpoint. It's a weird, conflicting feeling. You're rewarded as a player with the CG, but also punished by going back to where you last started.
I don't usually comment, but I have to say that I think I'm almost the exact opposite.

I think in-game sprites are fine, but it's always going to be a compromise between how much you can actually show, versus how large and detailed you can make the sprite before it starts getting in the way of gameplay. Side-scrollers typically have relatively small character sprites so that the player can see more of the world around them, e.g. Mario.

Who says CGs can't be interactive? Certainly, most of them aren't, to avoid drawing a million different variations of them. But there's no reason you couldn't have choices during them, or not just send players back to the last checkpoint after. Maybe there's another gameplay section to rescue them, or for them to escape from wherever they ended up? Just because it's a break in the normal gameplay loop, doesn't mean it has to be a gameover.

Two other options you might consider: Having CG's pop up along side the normal gameplay, such as during a struggle, when you don't need to see full width of the screen just to play the minigame. And rather than having 'fully' Animated CGs, having slideshow CGs like The Adventures of Kincaid does. Animated CGs are great, obviously, but they take up a lot of artist time to make, that I personally feel would be better spent on multiple static CGs over one Animated one.

Last edited:

J300mer

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Props to the dev, the game looks as good as it plays, solid 9/10 more oral pls

A Lost Cat

Lurker
Reputation score
Since we're talking sidescrollers, i voted gameplay and sprites.

CGs i focus on more in rpgs as they are less hectic, and i've played enough games from lurking around here over the years to know good gameplay can be hampered by weird or bad sprites, and great sprites can be hampered by awful gameplay. ....especially the latter, which is kindof a plague in h-games at times.

Plenty of games with good sprite sex or CGs but have gameplay where the movement is slippery and/or the hitboxes are wonky, and they end up being the ones you give up playing, download the imageset, fap once, and archive it away never to be seen again.

Other way around, end up being played but i keep thinking "man these sprites or blobby and awful, i wish the better looking games had this gameplay though. is that thing actually fucking her or is it doing some other more niche fetish like forced eating or something even weirder? i can't tell! there are 17 colors here, none of them are skintones, and all of them are undulating! gah!"

CGs can be done later. specifically speaking on them though, i find games less enticing when the cgs get made too early, and then the scenes or situations get adjusted later and then they don't match. (or no one cared to match them up in the first place...)

Captainstarfish

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
I prefer sprites in my side-scrollers. If I want CG pictures, I'll look at an image gallery or play a RPG maker game. Not to say CG gameover screens are unwelcome, it's just... why go to the effort of making a sprite sidescroller H game only to have a CG image pop up whenever something interesting happens. Sprites just fit the flow of the game more than CG's (static or animated).

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
I'm on the sprites train, animations take place in the same visual context as the rest of gameplay, making it an unbroken continuity.
I've seen static CGs show with in-game animations in this game, I think it's a great idea to combine both. But it meant doing (multiple) CGs and animations for each enemy which must be a lot more work. The dev went with larger, more detailed sprites for their next game (which was less a game, more an interactive gallery) for what that's worth.
I think I'd find viewing CGs resetting portions of gameplay pretty jarring, but maybe they could be implemented as transitions when being sent off to the creature chamber, and/or between sprite animations therein

Zer0xChan

Reputation score
I like them for game over type scenarios or if they're integrated well. Anthophobia comes to mind for me on it.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
I voted for everything because I think everything is enjoyable
If it's done well that is. So whatever you pick, make sure it's not half-assed and do it with quality