What's new

New PC

ments

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
So i have a question to people, who knows more about pc's, the thing that my previous pc burned down 3 month ago, tested and find out that motherboard kaput, at first i wanted to buy new motherboard, but then i was watching at prices, and decided to buy new one.
so i put together this one for 1200 €

Procesor Coffee Lake Intel® Core™ i5-8600K(9 MB Cache, 3.6 GHz)
Mother board MSI Z370
Ram 16 GB DDR4 - 2400 MHz
Hdd 4.5 TB HDD 7200
Sdd 240 GB
Graphic card GeForce RTX 2080
I do know one or two things about computers, therefore the question - did i overpaid, cause there are some people, who are more in pc's than me, and they call me not a smart person.

Last edited:

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Uh, you don't need to put this in shitposting. It would've been perfectly fine to put it in the main EE sub.

Anyway on to actually answering. I think the biggest pricetag there is the Vidcard and you're going to end up overpaying because of the current market. The resurgance of crypto mining has driven up prices to ludicrous amounts. So I guess it's not really a question of "could you have gotten it cheaper" but one of "what is a reasonable price for this piece of hardware", the answer to that question is: A hell of alot less than the current price. Found it for 780$ on newegg. (because I don't do ebay, which did have a lower price)

Going to need more info on the hard drives, processor and ram to give you a comparison price, specifically manufacturer. Though I guess you could go with the cheapest you find, often this causes issues. For instance I RMA'd a western digital hard drive like 12 times and never got one that would work for more than a year, my toshiba hasn't given me a problem yet and it's been around 7 years that I've had it.

I found your processor (I think) for 259$ on the low end and 400$ ish on the high end so that's why I need more info, there's gotta be a spec I'm missing for there to be such a large price gap.

Going to need to know what cooler you're using as all the coffee lakes I'm finding don't come with their own. (Really intel? you charge people a premium for your name and don't even include a heat-sink? glad I'm an AMD man XD )

Also going to need more info about your motherboard as their are multiple different MSI Z370 models.

You know what... I'm beginning to think this would be easier to do if you just linked me to where you bought the parts.

OP
ments

ments

Reputation score
hompage, but i don,t think you will understand a word
google translate works on it quite well
Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury
Hdd - Seagate BarraCuda
Sdd - Kingston A400
motherboard MSI Z370 gaming pro carbon
procesor cooler Cooler Master Hyper H412R COOLER
Power Corsair RMx PSU 750w
i buyed parts before x-mass with discount so some prices may be changed
casing i will get for free, from friend

Last edited:

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
>2019
>buying intel

Enjoy your security flaws. Unless you have a 144Hz screen, there's very little reason to get anything above R5 2600 for gaming - normally the 8600k goes for almost double it's price AND needs a cooler(the 2600 comes with a fairly decent stock cooler that even lets you overclock it) so even if it was on sale, you still overpaid.
As for RAM, you really should've gotten at least 2666MHz(and preferably 3000MHz), since bandwidth makes a noticeable difference while there's almost no price difference.
I can't comment on the specific SSD model, but it's generally better to get a 500GB SSD if you can afford it - bigger SSDs perform better, the €/GB is better, and 250 GB just isn't very much even if all you install on it are OS and games.
The RTX GPUs are overpriced - basically nothing uses raytracing(and when you actually DO get to use raytracing, it's a massive performance hit for minor visual improvements) and 1080ti offers otherwise more or less same performance generally for about 100€ less money(the stocks on that are starting to run low, but since you bought before Christmas, that wouldn't have been an issue). And unless you have a 1440p or higher resolution - again, getting that expensive GPU is a waste of money(for games, at least). Something like GTX 1070 or Vega 56 offers much better value and is still capable of running all games at max settings.
Can't really comment on the PSU without knowing how much you paid for it/how much you'd have paid for the alternatives, but generally corsairs are a bit overpriced for what you get - don't get me wrong, most corsair PSUs are good, but generally speaking, you can get an equivalent or even better EVGA or Seasonic for less money.

The GPU alone normally goes for around 800€(on amazon.de), so at least you got a good price for the parts you did get.

OP
ments

ments

Reputation score
>2019
>buying intel

Enjoy your security flaws. Unless you have a 144Hz screen, there's very little reason to get anything above R5 2600 for gaming - normally the 8600k goes for almost double it's price AND needs a cooler(the 2600 comes with a fairly decent stock cooler that even lets you overclock it) so even if it was on sale, you still overpaid.
As for RAM, you really should've gotten at least 2666MHz(and preferably 3000MHz), since bandwidth makes a noticeable difference while there's almost no price difference.
I can't comment on the specific SSD model, but it's generally better to get a 500GB SSD if you can afford it - bigger SSDs perform better, the €/GB is better, and 250 GB just isn't very much even if all you install on it are OS and games.
The RTX GPUs are overpriced - basically nothing uses raytracing(and when you actually DO get to use raytracing, it's a massive performance hit for minor visual improvements) and 1080ti offers otherwise more or less same performance generally for about 100€ less money(the stocks on that are starting to run low, but since you bought before Christmas, that wouldn't have been an issue). And unless you have a 1440p or higher resolution - again, getting that expensive GPU is a waste of money(for games, at least). Something like GTX 1070 or Vega 56 offers much better value and is still capable of running all games at max settings.
Can't really comment on the PSU without knowing how much you paid for it/how much you'd have paid for the alternatives, but generally corsairs are a bit overpriced for what you get - don't get me wrong, most corsair PSUs are good, but generally speaking, you can get an equivalent or even better EVGA or Seasonic for less money.

The GPU alone normally goes for around 800€(on amazon.de), so at least you got a good price for the parts you did get.
Thanks, maybe i do get hyped by "discount sales", should have made more research, before buying, well smart learn from fools mistakes, fools from their own :)
the previous was prebuild AMD 8 cores with gforce gt9600, manufacturer msi. About new one's security flaws??? bios or what?

Last edited:

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
You're right, I don't understand a lick of that language XD

But I can generally agree with spider that you've ended up overpaying a bit. A good thing to keep in mind is that there's a premium on recently released hardware, especially if it's got new capabilities, i.e. raytracing, unless you KNOW you're going to have a use for it you're better off getting something proven.

Might want to aim for mid-range performance next time, I usually only get new components every 6-7 years, ends up costing me maybe $600-$700 and while they don't do ULTRA HD BLOOM, they will run anything I ask them to (outside of when the firmware becomes outdated, i.e. directx versions).

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Thanks, maybe i do get hyped by "discount sales", should have made more research, before buying, well smart learn from fools mistakes, fools from their own :)
the previous was prebuild AMD 8 cores with gforce gt9600, manufacturer msi. About new one's security flaws??? bios or what?
The vulnerabilities are related to how intel handles speculative execution(basically, the CPU tries to predict what instructions it'll be given next, and executes them in advance), and can allow any malware to gain root/system privileges. There are more than 20 of them last I checked. Many of them have been fixed in software or firmware by now, but some of those fixes carry heavy performance penalties.

OP
ments

ments

Reputation score
Thanks for responses

LonelyTsubasa

Reputation score
At this stage, I don’t recommend buying a graphics card because the price is very expensive.