New Service Provider and Future Plans

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 9, 2008
Hi guys,

So over the past two days I have changed provider away from GoDaddy to DreamHost because they offer a VPS service, that essentially means I'm no longer sharing my CPU allowance with others. Performance levels remain to be seen, but I have high hopes.

The downside is that this is costing me a bit extra, and if I have to upgrade to a better plan than this one, it'll cost me quite a bit extra. I have therefore decided that the best and most sensible course available to me is looking into getting an advert for the site, to create a bit of income. If I can find an affiliate who is happy to do this, then we'll trial run the advert for a while and see how annoying it is.

If I can't find an advert solution, then whilst I'm broke I'll have to go back to asking for donations regularly.

Thanks for your patience while I made this move, and hopefully there are no technically issues with the forum as a result. If you do encounter anything, be sure to let me know in the Tech Support forum.

Cheers,

~Aika

Lozagal

Demon Girl Pro
Jan 17, 2011
Re: New Service Provider and Future Plans

Great job and keep it up. I'm sure we can rally enough people to stem this.

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 9, 2008

The ad you see at the moment is a placeholder for generating statistics apparently. In 24 to 48 hours my zone will appear on the actual ad market, and then advertisers will be able to purchase the ad space.

Oct 28, 2009

You could always use a CND service (there are free ones).

I use one on my own website to reduce site traffic by like 75%, I save about 2TB+ per month bandwidth, while using near 3TB.

Also saves cpu/ram by letting the CDN take care of several million "server hits" (over 55million is taken care by the CND, while the server totals a total of 60ish million).

Since this site is mostly text and tiny attachments, it would reduce the bandwidth/cpu/memory usage by an insane amount.

Nunu

Despot
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 9, 2008

The topic of adds has come up before and I believe people were all cool with it to break even or buy us toys... or probably to make you a small payment for your troubles over these past many years... just not going all toonpimp on our asses.

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 9, 2008

Oh toonpimp :)

You could hardly see that there was a site under all those ads :p

Dec 14, 2008

What's toonpimp? All I remember seeing were ads.... I found it curious how a website could be so dedicated to advertisement.

Obsidious

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Aug 12, 2010

I don't know. This ad annoys me already.
The area where "page 1 of xxx" is displayed is much smaller than before, so you only can keep track of like ten threads until you have to go to the next page.

Also, what "toys" would you all want to buy from the ad money?

Oct 28, 2009

The area where "page 1 of xxx" is displayed is much smaller than before, so you only can keep track of like ten threads until you have to go to the next page.

you can use things in firefox and chrome such as "adblock" or "noscript" it blocks ads if you do not like them.

Also, like mentioned this site could go CND, and lower their service costs greatly as memory and cpu usage from VPN service will go to near nothing to host this site (considering it is mostly all text based and few images). Many CDN services are free.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
Sep 23, 2009

you can use things in firefox and chrome such as "adblock" or "noscript" it blocks ads if you do not like them.

Also, like mentioned this site could go CND, and lower their service costs greatly as memory and cpu usage from VPN service will go to near nothing to host this site (considering it is mostly all text based and few images). Many CDN services are free.
Do note that adblock makes it so aika doesn't get the dosh from your visits and hits and whatnot.

Similar to what Obsidious was saying, though, my Thread Subscriptions thing now has pages. I preferred it without pages, so I could see all of the threads I owed replies to at one time. Can that be reverted or is there an option I missed somewhere or something?

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 24, 2008

Regarding the ads, are they pay per view or pay per click?

Nov 9, 2008

Actually the first is more a forum setting as to how many topics are displayed per page. In case people haven't noticed, the default forum posts per page has dropped as well (probably some settings screwed up in the move). Can probably be fixed easily enough.

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 9, 2008

Per click, so adblock isn't a big deal.

As for the number of threads per page, this was done so I could put the ad at the bottom of the page instead of the top, and it be less intrusive but still visible.

I'm still experimenting, and it might end up at the top and if it does I'll increase the per page limit again.

Nov 10, 2008

I think about the only issue I have with the ad is that (at least the one I'm getting) is that it's very NSFW. I understand that, given the site that we're on, getting something like "Christian Mingle" to advert with us probably wouldn't jive, but I scroll down and it's like "Hellooooo Penis!" I'm not morally or ethically offended by this (if I were, I wouldn't be here) but, well, I know some of the folks access this site from school or other places where, if the ad's on the screen, they might have issue.

That said, an adblock might be the way to go, but I might have to ask for a few recommendations (using firefox.) More, will it block on all sites or just ones I set, because, amazingly enough, there are sites I do want to see the ads on.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
May 18, 2010

I use adblock Plus, I believe, with Chrome. It allows me to put certain sites in a filter so ads can show. Like I said in one of the threads a week or so ago, it's how I make sure I can seem the on youtube to give all the indie video producers their ad revenue, as they have per view, not per click. If it's per click here, I might keep it up, as I never click on any ads for whatever reason. (Hell, if it's something I like, I typically google it rather than click). I've just had way too many run ins with viruses on otherwise innocent looking things to click on an ad.

Nov 10, 2008

Do you think you could try and approach y!gallery or deviant art or something similar and see if they want to buy ad space? Those might get more clicks perhaps.

Oct 28, 2009

Do note that adblock makes it so aika doesn't get the dosh from your visits and hits and whatnot.

Similar to what Obsidious was saying, though, my Thread Subscriptions thing now has pages. I preferred it without pages, so I could see all of the threads I owed replies to at one time. Can that be reverted or is there an option I missed somewhere or something?
yup, but, you can't readily stop people from using it, as people will use it (even when they say they aren't).

Project wonderful uses a different approach to get around the problem, while some others use affiliate ads and embed into the site so its not blockable as easily.

Like mentioned a few times earlier though, CDN service saves mine. I save about $200 a month on my webhosting (transferring near 3TB month). I've kept my webhosting costs low because of it. Especially since CND services are usually free, and help with 75% of the websites cpu/memory/bandwidth usage.

/example image

Last edited:

sgtbilco

Demon Girl Master
Dec 21, 2010

Does ULMF have a mechanism for donations? I'd be down with that as an auxiliary. This is a daily stop for me.

Obsidious

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Aug 12, 2010

Aika's paypal: [email protected]

edit: If you however meant something like a Donate button, I don't think that can't be implemented. Or at least not with Paypal, what with it's anti adult content policy and all.

Last edited:

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Nov 10, 2008

Does ULMF have a mechanism for donations? I'd be down with that as an auxiliary. This is a daily stop for me.
IMPORTANT:
Whilst you're free to send donations to his account, just note that you should avoid using the phrase donation, or mentioning the site in any obvious way in the message attachment, due to Paypals prudish adult content policies. His last paypal account got shutdown because of attempts to implement a donate button.

I like to send them under the guise of Christmas presents personally. But anything that doesn't point fingers this way should do.