What's new

Nolstalgia: Arcades

Antithetical Inquiry

Matriarch
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Are there any real functioning stand-alone arcades these days? I remember tilt in the malls, and my first taste of DDR and Guilty Gear. Of course, there's Dave and Busters now...

What's everyone's fondest memories of the arcade?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Nolstalgia: Arcades

I'm from Jersey, and we have the shore, so every summer as kids, we spent a lot of time inside the arcade. There was one right across the street from our hotel even. I buttonmashed the fuck out of some older kid who tried to kick me off a tekken machine when I was single digits there. But my favorite memory was playing Time Crisis 2 and 3 simultaneously right next to each other.

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

Galloping Ghosts in Iowa comes to mind as an arcade that still stands to this very day. There are a few more that i might be able to remember if i think about it a little more.

I know Ken House has an arcade somewhere. I believe he calls it KenCade or something silly like that.

Funspot in Connecticut.

There was a thing on twitch what feels like maybe two years ago called the battle of the arcades where teams of retro arcade players were playing mostly original arcade machines.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

I remember a few arcades before they disappeared. If its still there Merlin's Castle an arcade like spot in Halloween area of Holiday World had a few games I'd use to play when I went there actively. I also remember blowing all the money I made selling lemonade at Tennessee with my Grandma on a final fight cabinet outside a wall mart or something when I was like 10 or so. Then crying cause I wasted my money. Though that wasn't really an arcade.

I also remember spending a fair deal of time on DDR and the Star Wars trilogy cabinet at an arcade our mall in Owensboro used to have, called Alladins Castle. It was fun place to hang out and blow money of there wasn't anything else to do. Sadly of closed down several years ago, along with a lot of the good stores at the mall. I heard they're planning on tearing the whole thing down. Which is sad, cause its like one of the main real attractions of the town, or used to be. When it's gone there probably won't be much for highschool kids and stuff to do around there. :/

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I remember when I was at a KOA campground, and there was this arcade machine for Super Chibi Gem Fighter Mini Mix. We had SOOO much fun with it.

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

During a family vacation to Spain around the turn of the millenium, me and a friend spent a lot of coins to finish a co-op arcade game of Jurassic Park. It was amazing.

Also, the title of the thread is misspelled, I believe.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

During a family vacation to Spain around the turn of the millenium, me and a friend spent a lot of coins to finish a co-op arcade game of Jurassic Park. It was amazing.

Also, the title of the thread is misspelled, I believe.
AI was planning on doing a thread about this and about D&D memories called gnollstalgia.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I think there's actually a lot more arcades around than people realize. There's a location here that for the past 10 or so years has gone through different owners in an attempt to make kind of a small aracade/laser tag arena. If a town of only 20kish can do it I imagine there's a lot more in larger places. The problem here is that the building is in a very bad location, a mile or so outside of town on the far side of an ocean of car lots, attached to the side of a UPS depot.

iccreations

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Down in central cali all we have is places like funworks which is the crappy kind of arcade. Nothing good these days :/